Near Death Experiences

Thread: Near Death Experiences

Blog Entries

Default Near Death Experiences

In volume 4 of Special's DPPt arc, Platinum actually has a near death experience when she sinks in the Great Marsh's bog before being rescued by Chimler. It made me realize how everyone in this series seems to brush off death as if it was nothing. No real trauma or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that whole "walking away from the explosion and not turning back" thing. What's up with that? Then again, if you're traveling in a world full of wild creatures, you've gotta be prepared to die, I suppose.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Default Re: Near Death Experiences

Actually it is not that difficult to understand, because although the Pokemon world is structurally similar to our world, but it is actually not equivalent to our world. It is another fantasy adventure world just like Final Fantasy, Tales of series, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter... whatever fantastical RPG game you named it.

If you are a person living in such fantasy world where traveling is like common occurrence, your mind-set will obviously adapt to dangerous situations that often occurs in that world. So being attacked by wild Pokemon in the forest, getting trapped in somewhere in the natural environment, injuries during the friendly/antagonistic battles between trainers are just common things, there is really nothing to fuss over about.

If such explanation is difficult to understand, then I'll use rather an real world example. Japan is a country well-known to have earthquake very often, the whole country experience local earthquake like almost once per 1~2 months. Therefore, almost all the Japanese had adapted themselves to earthquake through training. Hence whenever an earthquake occurs, Japanese seldom panic (maybe there is a few that will still panic, but I'm talking about the majority), they will treat the damages indifferently and normally. Their extreme self-control and calmness towards such natural disaster might seem surprising or even unusual in the eye of many foreigners, but it is just normal for them. This is almost the same case for the self-control for people in the Pokemon world.

There is one sentence I always say to the fans of Pokemon (well, not just Pokemon, but to all fans of certain fictional works): If you wanted to understand the ethic, moral, and behaviour of a fictional world, first dump away all the mind-set and thought associated with our real world, and then you must "see" that world through the eyes and mind of the characters in that world.

P.S. This thread seems to fit more in the Pokemon World Section rather than the Pokemon Manga Section. Can the Mod move it?
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't see any problem with Near-death situation !
    Digimon has Near-death situation , Inazuma eleven has Near death situation , Beyblade has Near-death situation , Yugioh has Near-death situation , Duel Master has Near-death situation , Bee-Damon has Near-death situation ,
    Even Doraemon Movies has Near-death situation !
    And these are all Kids Anime/Manga !
    The Near-death Situation in Pokemon Adventure is similar as those Anime !
    Kids aren't so much of a coward that they will stop watching an Anime/Manga just because of Near-death situation .
    Kids & their Parents are fine as long as there no extremely Bloody scene .

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Kishore View Post
    I don't see any problem with Near-death situation !
    Digimon has Near-death situation , Inazuma eleven has Near death situation , Beyblade has Near-death situation , Yugioh has Near-death situation , Duel Master has Near-death situation , Bee-Damon has Near-death situation ,
    Even Doraemon Movies has Near-death situation !
    And these are all Kids Anime/Manga !
    The Near-death Situation in Pokemon Adventure is similar as those Anime !
    Kids aren't so much of a coward that they will stop watching an Anime/Manga just because of Near-death situation .
    Kids & their Parents are fine as long as there no extremely Bloody scene .
    That is a thread about near death experiences in Pokemon manga, not what happens in other series or how parents will be affected by them.