How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Default Re: How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    BTW, Crys's Mom has a HORRIBLE taste in fashion. It's like she's a man pretending to be a woman.
    Funny, I think she looks like oh so many over-developed, slutty looking schoolgirls that infest anime these days.

Jeez, VK. I know Pokemone is a kids' franchise (the kiddiest in the Anime/Manga industry, IMO), but some drama can be a GOOD thing every now & then.

And thank Arceus I still have the uncut version of the Poke-boobs scene! I know it was risque, but oh-so clever. Specially since there are waaay more salacious moments out there that aren't...

Though I'm a little glad they edited Electric Shock Pickachu. Pokemon & lots of fanservice just don't sound good together...

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

lmao it looks like wobuffet is laughing his ass off about it
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Keep to the subject matter, please.

This is about censorship, not the reactions the Pokemon make.

Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    This is about censorship, not the reactions the Pokemon make.
    I dunno, the poke's reactions are kinda tied to the edits. In this case, the pokemon's reaction to a glare doesn't make as much sense as it would to a slap.
    wc662 likes this.

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juuchan17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    DPA was virtually untouched (even a nude Hareta was shown, though his naughty bits were covered up in Japan and everywhere else) save for a minor edit of a Stunky smelling a Galactic Grunts ass.
    As a fan of DPA!, that's the only thing I remember was the Stunky incident [and actually, the original shot looked like Stunky's nose was caught between the grunt's butt cheeks], but yeah... for Viz Kids [one that was for All Ages, mind you!], DPA was amazing by how much got kept in the English release.

I remember the EToP stuff, though I didn't learn until I was a bit older [like a few years ago] that it was actually edited from the Japanese edited version. I mean, Ono's work is so pretty... but yeah, I realized why it was censored in English. I bet that a re-release of the series [with less editing perhaps? Somehow fanservice is more highly accepted in manga nowadays.] would be loved by old-school fans, though I wouldn't be surprised if kids see the word "Pokemon" and automatically think it's safe for them. XD Shoot, given what I've seen in the recent Pokemon manga put out by Viz, I'd love to see them try it... and maybe make it online only, if only to spare parents the shock of seeing things they don't want their young kids to see. The older fans need something too, and I'm sure it would be nostalgic enough to be profitable. I'd buy it.

I'm not sure about MPJ, as I only had a couple of issues of the US release. I doubt there was any censoring, but as small as the fanbase is for the obscure girly-take-on-Pokemon is now, I'm not sure if we'll know for sure.

- Juuchan17
    I never noticed as a kid either that it had been edited, but when I was really young, I didn't know that the artwork was reversed from the Japanese version so I was always annoyed that Misty's ponytail was "backwards" and I thought it was Ono's mistake XD i was actually kind of relieved when I found out it was because of the artwork reversal, because at least it wasn't the creator's fault :P

My personal belief on a potential "uncut" release to EToP in Western audiences is similar to what Dogasu once said in a review of EP035 "The Legend of Miniryu" - despite that it would be great for us fans to see and enjoy such a release, Nintendo and Game Freak still have to maintain a kid-friendly image of the Pokémon series. It's mainly the theory that some parent, like in that story about Dragon Ball, will see that book on a shelf and go "omg I knew Pokémon was bad news for kids!! look at this one, not appropriate for my child!" :/ you can argue it will be shelved with the teens/adults manga in bookstores, but this still doesn't always happen. Some book shops might just see that it's Pokémon and put it with the kids' books anyway, or a parent who really wants to freak out will find out about it anyway. It does happen with other series as well, I went to my public library recently and was looking in the children's manga section and they had some Studio Ghibli comic books based on still images from the movies, and they had Princess Mononoke in there with Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty. You and I would know that Mononoke isn't really appropriate for a very young child, but the library probably just filed it that way because it's Studio Ghibli. It really sucks, but as far as I believe, a release like this won't be happening any time soon.

On the lighter side, as a big MPJ fan, I'm not aware of much if any censorship in VIZ Media's version. Most of the English volumes I have though are from Chuang Yi's version as VIZ Media's went out of print a long time ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12