How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

Blog Entries

Default How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

There's been controversy over Viz's dealing with Pokemon Special, especially the newer versions, and EToP.

But what about the other manga they've published like DPA or MPJ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How censored are the other Pokemon manga Viz has published?

DPA was virtually untouched (even a nude Hareta was shown, though his naughty bits were covered up in Japan and everywhere else) save for a minor edit of a Stunky smelling a Galactic Grunts ass.

Also, the censorship for EToP was impressive and justifiable, given how Pokemon is for all ages and I don't recall huge boobs and highly risqué material (Misty was even half nude in her Gym Battle with Ash in the JPN version) being for everyone. Plus, this would create controversy for parents so Viz was doing Pokemon a favor.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's also worth noting that Dengeki Pikachu was given an edited release in Japan as well. IIRC, the Viz version is really just a slightly more edited version of this second Japanese printing.
    Koukoubean and SammyW27 like this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    It's also worth noting that Dengeki Pikachu was given an edited release in Japan as well. IIRC, the Viz version is really just a slightly more edited version of this second Japanese printing.
    Oh that's interesting. But why did Viz edit the already edited release? Just to be extra careful or was it still a bit risque?

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I assume it was still a bit too much. I think this was released right around the time they were dealing with the Dragon Ball incident (a mom flipped through a DB graphic novel in a Toys 'R' Us and raised hell because of a scene where Bulma offers to let Goku feel her up) and didn't want to take any chances.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    DPA was virtually untouched (even a nude Hareta was shown, though his naughty bits were covered up in Japan and everywhere else) save for a minor edit of a Stunky smelling a Galactic Grunts ass.
    As a fan of DPA!, that's the only thing I remember was the Stunky incident [and actually, the original shot looked like Stunky's nose was caught between the grunt's butt cheeks], but yeah... for Viz Kids [one that was for All Ages, mind you!], DPA was amazing by how much got kept in the English release.

I remember the EToP stuff, though I didn't learn until I was a bit older [like a few years ago] that it was actually edited from the Japanese edited version. I mean, Ono's work is so pretty... but yeah, I realized why it was censored in English. I bet that a re-release of the series [with less editing perhaps? Somehow fanservice is more highly accepted in manga nowadays.] would be loved by old-school fans, though I wouldn't be surprised if kids see the word "Pokemon" and automatically think it's safe for them. XD Shoot, given what I've seen in the recent Pokemon manga put out by Viz, I'd love to see them try it... and maybe make it online only, if only to spare parents the shock of seeing things they don't want their young kids to see. The older fans need something too, and I'm sure it would be nostalgic enough to be profitable. I'd buy it.

I'm not sure about MPJ, as I only had a couple of issues of the US release. I doubt there was any censoring, but as small as the fanbase is for the obscure girly-take-on-Pokemon is now, I'm not sure if we'll know for sure.

- Juuchan17

Completely Insane Fangirl Since Day ONE LiveJournal - DeviantArt - YouTube

Ace Pokémon Trainer

Did Pokémon Adventures 1-14 & the Black and White arc have any bad edits and / or bad translations?
    I've heard that they edited a scene in chapter 32 where Green (the girl) had hidden two Poké Balls under her top + a scene in chapter 133 where Crystals' mom slapped crystal + recoloured Jynx. I don't consider these edits any major edits, but are there any really bad edits / translations.
    I know that Viz took the first two chapters of volume 15 and put it in volume 14 in order to finish the GSC arc in that volume. I also know about the pathetic BW mini-volumes, but I assume that Viz will use the same material when (and if) they decide to publish the BW volumes with the right amount of chapters per volume. Does anybody know if Viz plans on doing that?

I didn't mention the Diamond, Pearl & Platinum arc because the Viz edition were made with magazine raws, so I've heard that some chapters are missing and that some artwork (and maybe some events) are different. The magazine editions i Japan also had an alternate ending that was considered worse by the fandom than the ending in the volume release.

I have the Viz editions of volume 1-14, but should I continue buying Viz editions or start importing the Chuang Yi editions? I will at least buy the Chuang Yi editions of the Diamond, Pearl & Platinum arc.
    I don't care if the Chuang Yi editions are a little more expensive to get and that it'll take some time for volume 15-29 of the Viz editions to get released. What I care about is which edition has better edits and translations. I have bought the Viz editions because they don't flip the artwork like Chuang Yi, instead they keep the original Japanese right to left reading format. I've heard that the fandom considers Chuang Yi's translations better, but who has better edits?
    Proud supporter of the petition for the awesome anime
    shown in this animated Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 trailer:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=282195

Copy this to your signature and repost it on social networks if you support the creation of the anime shown in the BW2 trailer!
    Started by PokeAwesome94.

Pokémon Adventures manga readers are going to love it.
    Those who haven't read it will probably love it anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I assume it was still a bit too much. I think this was released right around the time they were dealing with the Dragon Ball incident (a mom flipped through a DB graphic novel in a Toys 'R' Us and raised hell because of a scene where Bulma offers to let Goku feel her up) and didn't want to take any chances.
    Well, to be fair, the standards for "kid-friendly" are totally different here than they are in Japan.

Hell, later in that same Dragon Ball volume, Yamcha sees Bulma completely naked, boobs and all. Not to mention Goku showing off his little boy parts practically ever other chapter. AND Oolong. Really, the first two volumes for Dragon Ball are nothing like what most of the West would consider "kid-friendly". I mean, the Japanese standards have changed, and you can see this in the censorship of Gohan's genitalia in Kai, but, I digress.

There's very little Japanese manga that can, in an unedited form, pass as "kid-friendly" in the US, so really, you'd be hard-pressed to find one that's not.

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

LMAO @ how they edited the slap

*GLARE!*
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wc662 View Post

*GLARE!*
    Which could've been Crys's Mom shouting "SNAP OUTTA IT, CRYS!" if they edited the mouth open and added a speak bubble.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

*GLARE!*
    I noticed that, I wonder how they explained how she ended up on the ground? If she got slapped that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Lady Marie♥ View Post

*GLARE!*
    I noticed that, I wonder how they explained how she ended up on the ground? If she got slapped that hard.
    she glared so hard she had to fall down
    [/URL]

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

The glare really surprised Krys, the sudden shock causing her to lose her balance.

I guess?

Giant Slice of Pecan Pie JB2448's Avatar
    Follow JB2448 On Twitter Add JB2448 on Google+
    Follow JB2448 on Tumblr Visit JB2448's Youtube Channel

Then why are all of the Pokémon behind Crystal's mother cringing?
    Do a barrel roll!

Blog Entries

Again, editing in a speech bubble with the words "SNAP OUTTA IT, CRYS!" and Crys's mom's mouth open would've been a better idea. And they could've done it if Dengeki Pikachu means anything.

BTW, Crys's Mom has a HORRIBLE taste in fashion. It's like she's a man pretending to be a woman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast