Have the manga been becoming translated less lately?

Thread: Have the manga been becoming translated less lately?

Default Have the manga been becoming translated less lately?

I haven't heard of Chuang Yi since G4 and Viz Kids hasn't been releasing much other than Special and movie adaptations. I can think of at least five manga released in volumes and three that have not released this previous generation.

Back during the Kanto-Johto days a few Pokemon manga were released in the US. Aside from DPA and the Mystery Dungeon adaptation we haven't really been getting that many. Chuang Yi used to release a lot of manga but they don't do that anymore it seems.

I can't get what the deal is. I'm sure the manga would bring in a quick profit from fans of Pokemon manga and random fans alike.

Default Re: Have the manga been becoming translated less lately?

I think it's partly because the Pokemon bubble in the US has deflated since it first began- it's still popular, but not really a "fad" anymore- and partly because there are, from what I can tell, actually less manga series being published in japan for whatever reason. BW didn't have much beyond one-volume series which were pretty much direct adaptations of the games, which aren't really worth translating. Actually, I don't think Viz even tackled the movie mangas up until like gen 4, so the amount of manga that gets translated out of the amount that's produced has actually gone up a bit.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I really have no idea why Viz never picked up Pocket Monsters REBURST. It really seems like exactly the sort of series they'd go after.

What Viz really needs to do is work something out with Shogakukan to allow them to put Pokemon manga on their iPad app. While I don't expect them to go the Shonen Jump route straight out the gate, especially with how Shogakukan seems so hesitant to join the 21st century, being able to at least publish some of the older manga to the app would allow them to make some extra money that they could then use to pick up some of the smaller series.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on November 25th, 2014

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I really have no idea why Viz never picked up Pocket Monsters REBURST. It really seems like exactly the sort of series they'd go after.
    I'm surprised that they haven't picked up REBURST too. Based on what I've read about it, it does sound like it is something that they would be interested in picking up.

Viz probably isn't interested in anything beyond Adventures and the movie adaptations at this point because of how they aren't interested in bringing over one-shot volumes. Plus, they may not bring as much money as the volumes of Adventures do. That is a shame when there are some non-Adventures series that I'd like to check out, but they probably want to play it safe.