ADAPT: The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga

Smile The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga

I recently found some old one-chapter comics from this series a couple of weeks ago. I got them over ten years ago.

Over the years, I've tried to get into Pokemon Special and Adventures, but they just haven't grabbed me. This series, on the other hand, has always captured my attention -- it was just so...different, from both the anime and the games. I loved how it explained elements of the Pokemon world in a way that even my 7 year-old brain could understand them. It was more serious, and I really got a kick out of thinking about the depicted technological advances. Remember that cool Pokedex that had a hologram screen? I always wanted one of those - in fact, I used to want to invent that kind of technology. I think we can all guess as to how far I got, but the spirit's still there.

And after finding those issues again, I realized just how much I still enjoy them, and the series overall. It has a lot of good memories for me, and I'm sure for a lot of other people, too. Not a single one of my friends has ever heard of the series, and they've all been enthralled by the single issue that I showed them, which is specifically Play Misty for Me. I personally think that this series deserves wider recognition, but maybe that's just me.

As a very small side note, I got so many ideas from finding my four or five remaining single-chapter issues that I've decided I'm going to write a fanfiction using the depicted world as the setting and basis, along with the first season of the anime. Since my personal knowledge of this particular incarnation of the setting is, at best, very limited, I would really love some guidance from someone who knows this series better than I do. Anyone up for it?

Putting my musings and project aside, let's get some discussion going!

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga

My only disappointment with this series is that it's an adaptation of the anime.

This thing would have been so much better if it was its own story.

I'd love to see the Lt. Surge thing done in this...but only certain parts of the anime got adaptated.
    matt0044 likes this.

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Punkreader View Post
    Over the years, I've tried to get into Pokemon Special and Adventures, but they just haven't grabbed me.
    Special and Adventures are the same series. xD Special is just what the original version of it is called in Japan, and Adventures is the title they decided to release it under in America and Singapore.

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the other mangas aside from Special and Electric Tale of Pikachu? Because there are a lot more out there and while you couldn't get into Special, maybe you could get into some of the other mangas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    Special and Adventures are the same series. xD Special is just what the original version of it is called in Japan, and Adventures is the title they decided to release it under in America and Singapore.

Out of curiosity, have you tried any of the other mangas aside from Special and Electric Tale of Pikachu? Because there are a lot more out there and while you couldn't get into Special, maybe you could get into some of the other mangas.
    Oh. Whoops.

No, I haven't. Up until pretty recently, I was unaware of Pokemon manga aside from Tales, Special, and Magical Pokemon Journey. I've become increasingly uninvolved with the Pokemon franchise in the past several years (for a variety of reasons), but my interest is building again, and I'm not afraid to admit to others that I like the series. You're right, perhaps I could. I'll start looking and reading to see if anything captures my interest. :smile:

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I loved this series and really should re-read it sometime. I remember liking some of Ono's adaptations better than the episodes on which they were based, but my memory's too fuzzy to remember which ones I felt that way about.

I'd love for Viz to re-release it, but I imagine their rights to the series expired a long time ago.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Follow 1dbad on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Punkreader View Post
    Oh. Whoops.

No, I haven't. Up until pretty recently, I was unaware of Pokemon manga aside from Tales, Special, and Magical Pokemon Journey. I've become increasingly uninvolved with the Pokemon franchise in the past several years (for a variety of reasons), but my interest is building again, and I'm not afraid to admit to others that I like the series. You're right, perhaps I could. I'll start looking and reading to see if anything captures my interest. :smile:
    No worries, I can see how you'd make the mistake. Just wanted to let you know was all.

At least you knew of those. I didn't even know any Pokemon manga existed until 2009 I believe it was, lol. And I don't blame you on the interest thing, really my only ties to the fandom now are the different mangas and the games. But I'm glad your interest is building again and you're not afraid to admit it to others. And sounds good! Hopefully you can find some others you like as well.

I just found out about it last year

ROFL
    PokeShipper

I've wanted to get into this series, but I've never been able to find a good place to read it.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Blog Entries

I remember that one... sort of. I had a couple issues of it way way back when it came out.

...Well, I remember Ash had a Fearow, at least.
    I didn't know it was censored like it was until recently.

Although if you're a younger member read the english versions

In the japanese they have a lot of sexual stuff and All the girls are busty chicks with at least a D Bust size for their boobs
    PokeShipper

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshyBoy151 View Post

In the japanese they have a lot of sexual stuff and All the girls are busty chicks with at least a D Bust size for their boobs
    I find that a bit inappropriate for Pokemon and they're pretty obligatory and unbelievably busty. I don't mind that Viz edited them since that would NOT have been good for Pokemon's USA image.

Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post

There's nothing wrong with that.
    Yes there is. Women are NOT meat, and anyway, if we really looked like that, we'd never get our blouses buttoned.

...but you'd love that, wouldn't you?

As for the manga, I only read the first book collection, since back when they were coming out, my mom convinced the library to stop stocking Pokemon books back when there was that "Pokemon is evil" backlash... personally, I think that with Pokemon, some of it is good and some of it is bad, you just need to have a discerning mind and remember that ultimately, it's FANTASY. I had a Poke-deprived childhood and am actually thankful for it. (At the very least, I'll never have to deal with any personal baggage comparing Black and White to Red and Blue. I jumped in on HeartGold and, more recently, Diamond, so... thank You, God.)

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

I read this series a long time ago. Were the 'Pikachu shocks back' & 'Electric Pikachu Boogaloo' expansions off of this an american convention, or were they split up that way in the japanese versions, too?
    Anyway, the Gyarados in this series scared the hell out of me back when I was 12.

That's STILL freaky...

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

This is to the guy who said the comment about the big breasts in ETOP

Alright so as a guy

Yes That can be funny or entertaining but that is kind of rude

Remember these were made for 8-12 year olds

Japan might hate kids

Though I am part japanese so that is not racist

For more Sh*t like this go to bulbapedia and search "Beauty and The Beach"
    PokeShipper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast