Do you wish for more manga to have female lead roles?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wish for more manga to have female lead roles?

Default Do you wish for more manga to have female lead roles?

As in the top protagonist. Even with Pokespe, the female protagonists are the third wheel except for Platinum who is the lead.

Most Pokemon manga use males as the lead role. I only know around two with female lead roles.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you wish for more manga to have female lead roles?

Well, the Pokemon franchise isn't exactly aimed at girls...

And you forgot about Crystal on PokeSpe. While Gold and Silver were "kinda dead", she took over quite nicely (I've been rereading; I can't believe how much we complain about Platinum and yet we allow this Mary Sue to fly past our radars)

...but it'd be a nice concept, to have a manga with a leading girl.

What would she do, though? Considering contests and musicals (did those stay?) were basically made for the girls who play Pokemon (oddest thing developed ever *doesn't like either*), we'd still be caught with another Platinum or a female Ruby character.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

As I would love to this happen more often, I believe this due to "more guys play Pokémon and read this type of manga than girls". But we do need more female leads.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind

sounds kind of interesting

unless it's a shojo manga which by then it feels kinda pointless

Couldn't care less since there really won't be much of a difference. Maybe she'd be more emotional or non-oblivious to love but it's still going to be a head-strong or even hot-blooded heroine because this is Pokemon. Unless, she's like Yellow or something. I wouldn't mind, but since this is Pokemon we're talking about I can't see them doing anything special that'd make a heroine radically different from a male lead.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Bulbapedia Editorial Board Zesty Cactus's Avatar Bulbapedia Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoredPikachu! View Post
    As I would love to this happen more often, I believe this due to "more guys play Pokémon and read this type of manga than girls". But we do need more female leads.
    Same here, i mean, i know a lot of girls who play Pokémon, sure, but how many of them actually read the manga as well? not nearly as many. still, it would be nice to see a manga have the girl player as the lead character and the boy as the supporting character instead of the other way around all the time. i mean, the only Pokémon manga i can think of with a constant female lead is Magical Pokémon Journey lol. some don't even bother to include the girl character.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if PokeWake had a main character, it was probably Akane on account of she appeared in the most stories (the series is mostly unrelated one-shots).

And I don't see an issue in having a gung-ho trainer girl as the lead. That describes most of the guys, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mask Marauder View Post
    Well, if PokeWake had a main character, it was probably Akane on account of she appeared in the most stories (the series is mostly unrelated one-shots).

And I don't see an issue in having a gung-ho trainer girl as the lead. That describes most of the guys, after all.
    Exactly. What's the point in having a female hero if you're going to make her just like the male? It'd be like a palette swap, kind of.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Puzzle & Dragons Addict Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

While a Shojo series may not get as much exposure due to the larger male fanbase, there can easily be female-lead Shonen series (Shakugan no Shana for example). Remember, female lead doesn't always mean she has to stereotypically feminine.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a protagonist like Shana.

Personally, I'd prefer a female lead like Jolyne from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean.

Blog Entries

Yes, definetely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    As in the top protagonist. Even with Pokespe, the female protagonists are the third wheel except for Platinum who is the lead.
    Actually I think the RGB chapter is the only one in which the female character isn't the main character of at least a part of it (Though Green totally steals the show of all the parts she's in). Yellow chapter has a girl as the main character, GSC has two volumes focussing solely on Crystal, Sapphire is as much the main character of RS as Ruby, and Platinum is DPPt's lead.

EDIT: Oh yeah, FrLg and Emerald. Well, those two chapters are pretty poor anyway.
    The Glaceon and the Shadow

A brave Quilava finds herself barely escaping the destruction of her town at the hands of a mysterious army of pokémon. She and her new friend, a clever, yet scatterbrained Kirlia, find themselves enrolled in the adventure of a cocky Glaceon and his Vaporeon wife as they try to stop the mysterious Shadow.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    Exactly. What's the point in having a female hero if you're going to make her just like the male? It'd be like a palette swap, kind of.
    I think you missed my point. No one calls it a "pallette swap" when it's a guy being like another guy, so why would it suddenly be different if a girl is one of the characters involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mask Marauder View Post
    I think you missed my point. No one calls it a "pallette swap" when it's a guy being like another guy, so why would it suddenly be different if a girl is one of the characters involved?
    Well, I can't word what I'm trying to say properly, so never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by apenpaap View Post
    Actually I think the RGB chapter is the only one in which the female character isn't the main character of at least a part of it (Though Green totally steals the show of all the parts she's in). Yellow chapter has a girl as the main character, GSC has two volumes focussing solely on Crystal, Sapphire is as much the main character of RS as Ruby, and Platinum is DPPt's lead.

EDIT: Oh yeah, FrLg and Emerald. Well, those two chapters are pretty poor anyway.
    Basically this. The only time a girl was really more minor was in RGB, and even then Blue (or Green, for Viz/Chuang Yi versioners) totally stole the show and still did quite a few things Red and Green did, like take down Team Rocket, fight in Pokemon tournament to become the champion, ect. Special/Adventures is great about having the girl character be just as important as the guys, or in the case of Yellow and DPPt, even having them as a lead. They just kind of alternate. I also give kudos to Special for all the different personality times for all the girls, and characters in general. Keeps things fresh and makes everyone unique.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast