Chuang Yi vs. Viz

View Poll Results: Which English version of Pokémon Special is better?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chuang Yi

5 25.00%
  • Viz

15 75.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuang Yi vs. Viz

Default Chuang Yi vs. Viz

Ignoring cost, which English translation of Pokémon Special do you prefer, Viz's horribly censored, watered down version, or Chuang Yi's uncensored version?

EDIT: By "Viz", I mean the recent rereleases, which were heavily edited compared to the original.
    Last edited by Shiny Noctowl; 3rd August 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Pokémon White

OSHAWHAT?

Default Re: Chuang Yi vs. Viz

I'd prefer Viz. Both versions have errors but at least Viz is now releasing the volumes with the panels the right way, instead of being flipped.

And sure Viz has art edits, but flipping the manga that affects nearly every panel. (I say "nearly" because there were some panels in Viz's first edition that were unflipped, and I'm assuming the same goes for Chuang Yi.)

Viz's version is unflipped, but that's its only advantage over Chuang Yi's version.

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Is Viz's version that horribly edited? I was considering getting into the manga, but now, I don't know. :/
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Noctowl View Post
    Viz's version is unflipped, but that's its only advantage over Chuang Yi's version.
    You're a dillusional fuck if you honestly believe this. By any chance are you Singaporean/Chinese? If you are I can see why you'd say that, granted I won't take back my statement about you being a dillusional fuck.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSkittle View Post
    Is Viz's version that horribly edited? I was considering getting into the manga, but now, I don't know. :/
    Whatever you do, don't get Viz's new version! Get their original version of the first seven volumes, and use Chuang Yi for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    You're a dillusional fuck if you honestly believe this. By any chance are you Singaporean/Chinese? If you are I can see why you'd say that, granted I won't take back my statement abou you being a dillusional fuck.
    No, I'm American. I've temporarily had to stop buying Chuang Yi's version because of the cost, but I'm not buying Viz's version; Viz's rereleases wouldn't even be worth paying $1 for, much less $8.

Pokémon White

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSkittle View Post
    The only thing Viz "horribly edited" was the scene where Blue rips off her shirt to reveal two Pokeballs in place of her boobs. The scene was covered up, but honestly I think it still flows fine with the edit. Anyway, buy Viz's latest release if you want, it's virtually the same as CI's version, unflipped, and cheaper. Oh, and Viz is now releasing the rest of the series now so it'd be a great investment if you want to start the series.
    "95% of the people who are able to read kana think that this automatically makes them know the entire Japanese language, as opposed to actually knowing little more than a first-year student of the language. If you are one of the 5% of that population who believes that being able to read kana is not impressive at all, copy and paste this into your sig."

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, I love both translations. VIZ may have it's edits but they are only minor or edited for a reason. While Chuang Yi has published most the volumes, they have that advantage. Though I'm not voting on which on is "better".

I like Viz because I'm from America, hence I don't read Chuang Yi. I don't know what's so wrong about it, but then again, I can't read Japanese. :V

i wANNA BE A HETALIA TOO Umeko's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Umeko On Twitter
    Follow Umeko on Tumblr Visit Umeko's Youtube Channel

I love Viz's translation. Chuang Yi's was horrendous and had huge translation and grammar errors all over the place. In addition, Viz actually gives Gold's voice character, something that CY's was sorely lacking, especially with his Japanese voice as unique as it was.

Blog Entries

Lets not forget Chaung Yi and their "Blaze-types, Bellsprout Pagoda, Kingora, VS Paralyzes," and other errors their known for. Their translation is professional, it just has some mistranslations regarding the Pokemon and locations and some characters. They just don't do the research sometimes. Viz on the other hand does, and if volume 8 is any indication they research a bit TOO much.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    Viz on the other hand does, and if volume 8 is any indication they research a bit TOO much.
    That's one of the problems with Viz: by insisting on being 110% like the games, they ruined a completely translatable pun.

Pokémon White

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

That's one of the problems with Viz: by insisting on being 110% like the games, they ruined a completely translatable pun.
    Though would you rather have a lost pun? Or many mistakes with Pokémon names, locations, etc.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Viz is who translated the manga way back in the day for me...So I prefer them...D:

Blog Entries

But get this, lawl, it doesn't screw up the plot! Like, unbefuckinglievable!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast