Is Akari from Pokewake meant to be a transsexual?

Thread: Is Akari from Pokewake meant to be a transsexual?

Blog Entries

Question Is Akari from Pokewake meant to be a transsexual?

I doubt most people have read the manga, but whatever. Akari from the "Akari and Pikachu's Birthday" chapter.

I'm knowledgeable about transgendered issues, but this stumps me a bit.

He identifies as male, but its unclear if he thinks that girls can't be good Pokemon trainers so he wants to be a boy. It's harder to pin down FtM then MtF, due to society's less strict views on girls and femininity.

He refers to himself as "ore", which is exceedingly rare for a girl to use no matter how boyish she is; apparently he used it even when he was a toddler.
    He refuses to wear skirts and feminine clothing, and wears gender neutral slash masculine clothing. As a little kid, he looked like a boy.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Akari from Pokewake meant to be a transsexual?

You know, I'm actually not sure. Akari seems to waver on the issue. Certainly genderqueer though.

Blog Entries

Akari says "I'm a boy" (and has said so even since he was a small child), and even after he comes to terms with the idea that coolness is subjective and cute Pokemon aren't automatically bad, he doesn't recant his claims of being male. To me, anyone who would claim that he's not really male is just trying to excuse it away.

And just for the record, Blackjack, trans people are not automatically genderqueer. It's a specific identification for someone who doesn't fully fit into the male/female binary; Akari seems fit just fine in the male gender.

Blog Entries

Hadn't you previously tried to argue that Akari *wasn't* transsexual because of the "I convinced myself that I was a man" line?

Blog Entries

Yeah, like five seven or eight years ago, when I was dealing with a lot of internalized transphobia. (Edited because, looking back, even five years ago I was firmly in the "Akari is a trans boy" camp, so if I made that comment (I don't specifically remember saying that, but it sounds like something I would have said when I was a clueless teenager) it had to have been even earlier than that.)

Final edit, because I took another look at the chapter itself just to see. I can't find the line "convinced myself I was a boy", but the translation I did a few years ago contained the line "come to believe I was a man", which may be what you meant? However, that was a mistranslation because I really wasn't all that great at Japanese at the time. The original line was 「男だと信じてきた」 which more closely translates to "I have come this far believing that I am a man".
    Last edited by Transfinite; 7th July 2011 at 05:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, that part. See, I don't read ANY Japanese so I was sort of dependent on others to translate and that's how you said that line went, and were sort of adamant about Akari being inconsistent because of it.

Blog Entries

Seven. Or. Eight. Years. Ago. As recently as five years ago, I recanted it.

Blackjack, I really do not think you of all people want to go down the "You said this several years ago" route.

Blog Entries

...wait what?

Blog Entries

....So, apparently he is a transboy? It does seem that way, especially if that's the original JPN line.