Best Journey: Awarded to a story which greatly highlights the traditional ‘journey story’ model and provides an interesting, unique and refreshing tale.
-This includes any story which follows the basic premise of someone venturing out and travelling throughout a region (or regions) with the purpose of defeating the gyms, winning musicals or contests or fulfilling one of the various additional activities available in games.
Best Dark: Awarded to a chillingly unsettling story with dark, mysterious plotlines making up the crux of the story.
-This includes any story with a dark element as the main theme. Can be things such as a horrors, thrillers, or Creepypastas, but is not restricted purely to these genres. ‘Dark’ content would refer to things such as murder, deaths, large scale war, violence, drug abuse, or anything that can be deemed unsettling or scary. Journey stories that have significant subplots with this type of material can go in either category.
Best Expansion: Awarded to a story which takes canon characters from the anime, games, manga or other Pokemon-based media and extends upon their story in a riveting manner.
-As stated above, this category includes any story in which a character from the games (ie a gym leader or member of the Elite Four), the anime (ie Brock, Misty, May) or the manga is the main character and explores their world using already established content or providing them a back story / conclusion their story. Shipping stories between canon characters (ie Red and Leaf, Ash and Misty) go here. If you are doing a story based around the player characters
Best Non Pokemon/Crossover: Awarded to a story which has managed to stand out from the Pokemon based pack and provide a different type of tale for the Fairground.
-This is essentially any story which is either about an entirely different fandom to Pokemon, an entirely original piece of work or a story which crosses Pokemon over with another fandom. With regards to the first two, anything that does not take place within any of the various Pokemon worlds goes here.
Best Alternate: Awarded to a brilliant, well written and engrossing story that cannot be classified in the other four categories.
-This is every story which you feel does not fit into any of the other categories. These can include crack fics, pure romance, soft crime stories, parodies, Academy stories. These stories should still take place within the Pokemon world, but would are simply not based around journeys, do not expand on established characters or have dark themes. Any story in which the main element is comedy, such as parodies of the above work or exaggerations of canon characters, should go here. Romantic stories between original characters in the Pokemon world go here.
Best Protagonist: Awarded to a well crafted, well written and entertaining in their own means lead character who commands the story and demands our attention
- Character that is either the lead or one of the leads of a story, and would therefore need to appear in a large portion of the story.
Best Antagonist: Awarded to a character who lives to ruin our heroes live, and is written as such that we know they mean bad news in whatever way they cause mayhem
- Character must play some antagonistic role against the character you'd call your protagonist. Does not necessarily have to be malicious or evil, just someone you can label your 'villain'
Best Supporting Character: Awarded to a character that does not lead the way as much as other characters, but still has a fine role to play, whether good or bad, in the story.
- Character must be seen as playing a supporting role to the main character. Could be a leading character as well but their role would be more as an aide to the more leading character
Best Pokemon Character: Awarded to an authors fine representation of a Pokemon character that adds something more than being a pet to the tale
- This character must be a Pokemon and be seen as a Pokemon for the majority of the story. They are allowed to be speak English and have some anthropomorphic attitudes, but must have been born as a Pokemon.
Best Reviewer: Awarded to a Fairground user who has written one or a series of helpful, insightful and thoughtful reviews that aids the development of their peers as writers
- To nominate someone for this, they must have written a review for your work in the period since the last Awards
Best Newcomer: Awarded to a first time Fairground writer who has already made their mark as a writer to watch
- This user must have posted their first story in the Fairground since the last Awards
Best Written Word Contributor: Awarded to a Written Word user who has contributed to the wider discussion of literary world and the discussions at hand
- A user must have either provided well thought out answers to a question, been involved in a discussion about a literary query or authored a Writer's Academy lesson since the last Awards