Takin' a break from JTC! Instead, the return of Kasumi! (No JTC refs, mild shippy)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takin' a break from JTC! Instead, the return of Kasumi! (No JTC refs, mild shippy)

Jellybaby for your brain! Mew2Too's Avatar

Default Takin' a break from JTC! Instead, the return of Kasumi! (No JTC refs, mild shippy)

Hi guys! I'm currently hustling my bustle - between an extremely busy schedule - to rewrite JTC entirely. I'm working on the mythos, all the historical references, the works. I'm also cutting back on all that damned cross-temporal BS!

In the meantime, this is something that I just felt was a good idea. So, with a little luck and some quick thinking, I slapped it into a halfway readable fanfic in just a few hours.

Now, let me explain a few things before we get started. I promise, this won't be as complicated as JTC.

I'm going to give you the names of the characters, and who they are in the dub.

Humans

Satoshi = Ash
    Kasumi = Misty
    Takeshi = Brock
    Haruka = Well, you know!
    Masato = Haruka's lil' bro. The "human Pokedex."
    Musashi = Jessie
    Kojiro = James
    Sakura = Daisy, Misty's blonde eldest sister
    Ayame = Lily, Misty's blue-haired second eldest sister
    Botan = Violet, Misty's pink-haired, loud-mouthed youngest elder sister.
    Ookido Hakase = Professor Oak

Titles

Sato-tachi = Ash's team
    -chan = Madame, Miss, a childhood friend (male to male) Cute, as one's younger sister (male to female)
    -kun = Friend

Pokemon

Nyasuu = Meowth
    Soonansu = Wobbuffet
    Koduck = Psyduck
    Sannigo = Corsola
    Nyorotono = Politoed
    Kingudora = Kingdra (supposedly evolved from Tattsu/Horsea)
    Hitodeman = Staryu
    Tosakinto = Goldeen
    Kimori = The starter of the Grass element from Ru/Sa.
    Achamo = The starter of the Fire element from Ru/Sa.
    Wakashamo = Achamo's evolved form.
    Subame = The swallow Pokemon from Ru/Sa.
    Agehunto = The new butterfly Pokemon from Ru/Sa.
    Sabonea = The new cactus Pokemon from Ru/Sa.
    Habunake = The new snake Pokemon from Ru/Sa.

This is my first fic using all Japanese names. Most of the above names were provided for the Japanese illiterate. Some of the moves the Pokemon use also are taken from the Japanese. (Some of them, like "Absorb," are not.) Here is the move you probably won't recognize.

10,000 volt attack = Thunderbolt

Anyway, for those who know the Japanese series better than the English dub, I'm just going to say I tried to keep true to the characters as I know them in the Japanese series. All you dub fans will notice that some of the characters - especially Nyasuu/Meowth - is a lot different.

So, instead of going on and on...

Enjoy the show!

This is the world of Pokemon. Satoshi and Haruka have won their first Pokemon badges, and are on their way to the docks of Touka City to catch a ride to the island of Muro. Satoshi and Haruka hope to get the next badge there. Yet, fortune holds a bigger surprise for them.

"Satoshi," Haruka whined. Her arms drooped, her face hung and flushed. It was the same with her little brother, Masato. Meanwhile, Satoshi and Takeshi were doing wonderfully. It seemed like all the miles they had been walking hadn't even phased their state of well-being. "Sato-kun, why must we keep walking like this? Can't we get a taxi?"

"Don't be foolish, Haruka-chan!" Satoshi dismissed the idea. "It's better to walk this way. It makes you stronger."

"Pi pika chu!" Pikachu agreed with his trainer. Of course, it didn't appear Pikachu did much walking perched on Satoshi's shoulder like he was.

"Aren't I strong enough already?" Masato whined.

Takeshi cut in, "Be of good spirits, everyone! We're almost to the docks now."

"Yes," cried a familiar female voice. "You are almost to the dock, but you aren't leaving with Haruka-chan! I'm going to kill her!"

"Huh?" Haruka seemed confused and a little afraid. Sato-tachi looked over into a clearing of trees. Against the sun, the shadow of a lovely woman stood statuesque. When they all squinted, Satoshi and Takeshi could hardly believe their eyes.

"Ka--" Satoshi stuttered. "Ka-- Kasumi!"

"Pikachu-pi!" Pikachu chirped.It was indeed Kasumi.

Her hair cascaded freely down to her shoulders. She wore a blue polo T-shirt and yellow short shorts with a red fanny pack on her waist. Her sneakers were changed - black with red instead of white. Her white athletic socks came only halfway up her shins. On her hands she wore blue gloves with a yellow stripe in the center of each. Her long lashes and perfectly trimmed eyebrows were furrowed up in a snarl with the rest of her face.

"What are you doing with another girl, Satoshi!"

KASUMI, IT IS A WELCOME RETURN!

"Kasumi," Satoshi muttered. "I don't understand. Why aren't you back at Hanada Gym?"

Haruka stared stupidly at Kasumi. "I don't understand. She is a Gym Leader, too?"

"Silence, you trollop," Kasumi snapped. "I am just the younger sister of Gym Leaders now!"

Haruka didn't know when to quit. She clapped her hands together and smiled warmly. "Ah, so you have a family of Gym Leaders, too?"

Kasumi's face contorted wildly with fury. Her teeth gritted audibly. "Grr! Don't you get it! I don't like you traveling with Satoshi! So, just go ahead and leave!"

Satoshi waved his hands, hoping for peace. "Wait, Kasumi! Can't you tell us why you are away from the Gym first?"

Kasumi opened her mouth to speak, but noticed that Masato was salivating beside her. Little hearts seemed to be rising from his head. "You are so beautiful, Kasumi-chan," he announced. "You are so great and lovely, and you are a Gym Leader too."

Kasumi closed her eyes and clenched her teeth tighter together from a closed mouth. She drove her fist down into Masato's head, and the young Pokemon hopeful sprawled on the ground in a daze. She mumbled, "I think he gets more credit than Satoshi..."

Haruka slid in next to Kasumi and tapped her forefingers together. She muttered sheepishly, "Ah, I would really like to hear your story, if you would please?"

Kasumi's mind got back on track, and as she told her story, her whole world seemed to be filled with nothing but her own words. "Yes, I am Kasumi! For one half year, I was the Hanada City Gym Leader! Now, I return to find my Satoshi has picked up a girl to travel with him. How should I find out but from the mouth of my selfish sisters."

Kasumi thought back, and began to tell the whole story.

===

My sisters had just returned home from their trip around the world, Kasumi explained outside the story. I was rather glad. In return for caring for the Gym so dilligently, they gave me a makeover. They styled my hair, gave me a facial, and bought me the newest and most fashionable clothes!

The words Kasumi spoke brought pictures into Sato-tachi's mind of a bright and cheery atmosphere in which Kasumi was the center of her sisters' attention.

Her next words brought them out of that mindset. I asked them if they had heard any news of Satoshi. I believed he was still in Masara Town, but they told me differently!

"So, you say you do have news about Satoshi of Masara Town?" Kasumi asked again.

Ayame brushed back who bluish hair, giving vanity its due time. "Well, you might not like it, Kasumi."

Sakura nodded. "I don't think we should tell her. She might want to go find him if we do?"

Botan spilled the beans, not being the one for keeping a secret. On top of that, this bit of news might crush Kasumi. Botan was not one for being kind to Kasumi, either. She crooned, "He's with another girl, Kasumi! They really seem to like each other! I hear he even let her brother travel with them."

A wave of anger and nausea hit Kasumi all at once. She ran out of the Gym, forgetting she had left all but one Pokemon there. Nyorotono and Sannigo continued to splash around happily in the large pool, accepting that Kasumi was leaving. They liked it where they were. Tosakinto didn't even surface for a farewell. Hitodeman seemed more embarrassed than saddened. Togepi, aside from the fact that it was well aware that its surrogate mother would not be returning to it for a while, consoled itself with the fact that it had made good friends with Gyarados and Kingudora. It waved a little tearful goodbye to Kasumi, and then went back to playing a game of hide-and-seek with Kingudora. (It was a game in which Kingudora dove underwater, and Togepi circled around the pool looking for its shadow.)

There was only one monster Kasumi had taken with her. Her sisters tried to warn her, but failed in getting her attention. Kasumi ran outside, grabbed her bike, and headed for Masara Town.

Once I get to Masara Town, Kasumi continued narrating. I found out from Ookido Hakase that you were in Houen, and in what city you were. I left my bike on his front lawn, and lamented not taking later when I was on the boat to Mishiro Town. It took me many days to get to Touka on foot, and I've finally caught up to you, Satoshi!

===

Kasumi's story faded in all their heads. They all gazed at her thoughtfully. Her arms were folded, and she looked quite arrogant in that pose. "I left quite a lot behind to get where I am, but at least I have one of my most precious Pokemon with me."

Kasumi unzipped her fanny pack and hurtled a Pokeball at the ground. She continued to look very confident, until she heard, "Quack!"

She opened one eye, looked at the Pokemon she had just released, and began to tremble into even further fury. "Koduck!"

The chubby yellow duck clapped his hands to his head, trying desperately to soothe the migraine that was constant in his world. "Quack!"

Satoshi just closed his eyes and sighed. "Well, we are in good health, Kasumi. You may go back to Hanada City now."

Kasumi towered over Satoshi and roared, "Are you trying to get rid of me!!!"

Satoshi waved placatingly once more. "N-- No, Kasumi! You may travel with us again, if you would like!"

Kasumi sneered. "First, I want to know all about Haruka, and how far the love runs between the two of you."

Haruka and Satoshi blushed. "LOVE?!" they yelled.

Haruka spoke up, and got right up in Kasumi's face. "I don't know what you've heard, Kasumi-kun. But Satoshi and I are only friends, I assure!"

Kasumi sighed, half-relieved and half-unbelieveing. She mumbled, "That's what I said, as well."

"What?" Satoshi asked, anger gripping the corners of his voice.

"Nothing," Kasumi snapped. "Now, I want to battle you, Haruka."

"Battle!" Sato-tachi cried.

Masato spoke up. "You don't understand, Kasumi-chan. Haruka's Pokemon are in no shape for battle. Achamo is only just starting to improve his technique. Agehunto is fine, but probably nowhere near as powerful as you Koduck."

The boy adjusted his glasses and nodded. Kasumi did not want to back down. "I don't care! I want a battle, and that's that."

"Very well," Takeshi came forward. "Haruka-chan, will you accept Kasumi's challenge?"

"Um," she started off. "Um, I suppose I will."

Takeshi cried emphatically, "Then let the battle begin!"

There is a second part, but can I get some initial responses?

Oh, and if you all need a pronunciation key, I'd be happy to whip one up! For the uninitiated, pronouncing Japanese vowel sounds can be pure hell!
    Last edited by Mew2Too; 2nd February 2003 at 09:07 AM.
    What kind of Pokemon am I?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Something Murgatroyd just showed me that you really, really, really should look at :

"-chan girl to girl : usually close friends but can be used for the
    girl's female lover.
    -chan guy to guy : normally childhood friends that never changed the -chan, or his male lover.
    -chan guy to girl : You're cute, treats her like a younger sister, or is his younger sister.
    -chan girl to guy : I like you a lot or little brother."

The point is, -chan doesn't apply for Kasumi and Haruka (it is a familiar suffix which has a conotation of cuteness - definitely not a higher honorific). -san is both "miss", "madam" and "mister" (generally used along with a family name), while -sama could be said to be akin to "lord" or "lady".

As for the rest, well, the story isn't bad, though it's a bit cliché-ish. And with a strong anti-Haruka undertone, though I'm not in the least bit surprised :-P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

For the "Haruka-chan" parts, that is what they all call. As for the Kasumi-chan parts, I might change it to "Kasumi-kun" or "Kasumi-sempai."

Okay, I fixed the problem of "-chan" in the original copy in all parts.

As to the cliches, I notice the Japanese series - from what I've watched in subtitles - has some very dry lines. But, that seemes to be part of the charm of it. Even the humor is always very dry compared to the gaggy humor in the dub."

In any event, I would not be so certain about anti-Harukaism. This second part is not so clear on whether I hate Haruka, or think she has honable talent like Ash did.

Anyway, here's part two. All the parts that would have been "Kasumi-chan" are now "Kasumi-kun."

Oh, and one more thing. In the first part, Masato called Kasumi "Kasumi-chan." Now, I'm a little unclear. Masato was sort of hot for Kasumi. Was it inappropriate to use "chan?"

There is another Pokemon I forgot to add to the vocab yesterday.

Spear = Beedrill

I shall banter no more.

Sato-tachi had stopped for now. They stood in a large forrest clearing. There was dense tree cover to either side of them some thirty yards away.

"The battle is a one versus one," Takeshi announced in his best referee voice. "There is no time limit. Ready, GO!"

"Get going, Agehunto," Haruka yelled. The Pokeball hurtled from her hand and through the air, landing in a soft patch of grass. It opened up and released a beautiful butterfly of many colors.

"Aaageee!" Agehunto sang.

"I have only one Pokemon," Kasumi said. "Get going, Koduck!"

Koduck waddled out onto the battlefield. "Quack!"

Masato bolted up beside Haruka, held his hand up to his mouth, and whispered, "Sister, you should use a Grass type move as Koduck is part Water."

"Um, yes," Haruka pondered. She whispered back to Masato, "How about Absorb?"

"Yes, that will work," Masato assured. He nodded for emphasis.

Haruka spun around, and ordered, "Agehunto, Absorb attack!"

Kasumi showed a sure resolve. "Koduck, use a Water Gun!"

Koduck didn't move, but stood there staring into space. Agehunto flew over and attached its mandible firmly to Koduck's skull. "Quack!" Koduck spit up a little stream of water than was of no use. Agehunto just fidgeted from side to side as though being tickled. It kept its mandible firmly on Koduck's skull. Koduck began to panic. Its health was going fast, and this fiasco didn't seem to be close to stopping.

Kasumi just cheered Agehunto on. "Go, Agehunto! Suck his brains out!"

"Ah," Satoshi and Takeshi cried. "No!"

"What are you two worried about?" Masato asked, his arms folded smugly.

"If Koduck gets a migraine," Satoshi began. "Then its Psychic powers will increase greatly."

"I know," Masato declared. Satoshi and Takeshi did a facefault, and Pikachu scratched at the air before it plummeted from the spot where Satoshi's shoulder had been.

Finally, Satoshi's words proved true. Koduck began to howl and squirm furiously. It stopped suddenly, and all could see its eyes were now alive with a sparkling blue aura. Kasumi picked up on this, and commanded, "Koduck, Psywave!"

Everyone except Kasumi and Masato covered their eyes, not wanting to watch what would happen next. Haruka whipped herself into a frenzy. She screamed at the top of her lungs for Agehunto to disengage from Koduck. There was a burst of light, an explosion as Koduck let loose all he had, and then--

Haruka stopped dead in her tracks. Satoshi inquisited, "Is it over?"

Masato proudly tapped Satoshi on the shoulder. Satoshi uncovered his eyes. Pikachu and Takeshi did the same. Kasumi was quaking with disbelief. "N-- No!"

Koduck collapsed, mustering up one last, "Quack!"

Agehunto looked a little singed, but it was doing a little victory twirl in midair. Masato was the one who explained why Haruka had seized an unlikely victory. "Agehunto is a Bug type, and was not hurt much by Koduck's Psychic attack."

"Brilliant," Satoshi uttered. Then, he began chortling to himself. Kasumi did not seem to be joyed at his pleasure in her loss.

===

Over some distance in a patch of shrubbery, Musashi watched the short-lived but tense battle through binoculars. "It looks like those brats are having a reunion match. It is that wimpy one battling that bitchy red-head."

Nyasuu held up one claw and declared, "It is always best to attempt a theft when the victims are in the heat of battle."

A red streak from Musashi's belt, and then, "Sooonansu!" So it is.

Musashi returned Soonansu to its ball. "We will attempt to thieve Pikachu."

"But Musashi," Kojiro interjected. "How are we going to achieve that when it is five against two?"

"Simple," Nyasuu chimed. "We shall add to our number by one. A big one made of metal!" Nyasuu worked a little controller box and a fifty foot tall Nyasuu mecha stomped out of wide clearing in the trees.

"Another mecha?" Kojiro lamented. "Musashi, they will simply incinerate us with Pikachu's electricity. Then we will feel very bad, I assure you!"

"Such things are not to be fretted over," Nyasuu declared. "The cockpit of this mecha is insulated with rubber! We cannot lose!"

Kojiro's mood brightened. "Then we should not wait! Command and conquer!"

"Strike and parry!" Musashi yelled.

"Scratch and sniff!" shouted Nyasuu.

===

Sato-tachi shot their eyes from side to side, hearing a rumbling. They couldn't identify the source of the rumbling, but it did knock Haruka off her feet in her victory dance. She slammed face-first into the ground, he entire face turning red. She pulled her self up and demanded, "What is the fuss now!"

The reply was the raucous laughter of the Rocket Gang. Musashi and Kojiro indulged in their usual introduction.

It was Musashi's turn first. "If you keep asking us this and that--"

Kojiro next. "Our answer will be society's sympathy."

"For the sake of preventing world destruction."
    "For the sake of protecting world peace."
    "To pentrate the evils of love and truth."
    "The lovely and charming villians..."
    "Musashi!"
    "Kojiro!"
    "We are the Rocket Gang couple."
    "A white hole... We are waiting for a white tommorow!"
    "Nyasuu! That is..."
    Poof! "Soooonansu!" So it is.

"Goddam evils," breathed Satoshi. "What do you want?"

"We wish only to thieve Pikachu, of course!" Musashi declared.

"And we shall do so with little resistance," announced Nyasuu.

"Yes," Kojiro agreed. "For our mecha has electrical resistance.

"Soooonansu!" So it is.

Satoshi steamed at the ears. "Pikachu, 10,000 volt attack!"

"Go right ahead," Nyasuu invited. He hit a button on his controller box that lowered the Rocket Gang into the cockpit. Pikachu executed his attack, but it seemed to be no use. There was no sign of surrender from the Rocket Gang.

Nyasuu switched on a PA and blared. "It is no use. The electricity will never find us! The entire cockpit is rubberized!"

There was laughing over the PA, and then Musashi said, "It is no good to resist. Give us Pikachu, or we will take him by force."

"Then I'll use Kimori," Satoshi said. "Or Subame!"

"It is no good," Takeshi told him. "I will take care of this! Go, Foretres!"

A bagworm Pokemon made of steel popped out from the ball. "For!"

"Foretres," Takeshi started. "Use Explode!"

Foretres built up a charge, was about to do self-destruct, but--

Stopped. It looked over at Koduck. It frowned. It seemed captivated with how stupid Koduck looked, and could do no more. Takeshi yowled at Foretres. "What are you doing?!"

Masato, once again, had the answer. "It is a characteristic of Koduck. When a Pokemon sees how stupid it looks, they take pity and lose heart."

Kasumi screamed. "Then come back, you stupid duck!" But Koduck had found his second wind and evaded return.

Haruka stepped up. "Never mind, I'll take care of it."

Everyone gasped, and no one particularly liked the idea. They had no choice though. "Agehunto," Haruka called. "Make it a Sunny Day!"

The clouds disappeared, everything got brighter, and the Rocket Gang laughed louder. As soon as the cloud cover had parted, it came back together again, making for a partly cloudy day."

"Huh?" Haruka was very confused now. It was Masato who cleared it up for her, as usual.

"It is Koduck's other characteristic," he explained. "It is called 'no weather.'"

Haruka looked back at Koduck. Kasumi had taken to chasing it with mallet in her hand.

"When I say, 'Back in the monster ball,' I am not joking, I assure you!!!" Kasumi roared, scurrying after Koduck back and forth.

Haruka turned back to the battlefield. Things were not going her way. She moaned softly to herself, struggling to find a new battle plan. It seemed the Rocket Gan was getting the upper hand. If she didn't think fast, Pikachu was in great danger.

"What good will good weather do?!" Kojiro's voice taunted.

"Good weather will not make for good fortune," Nyasuu announced. He manipulated some controls, and a robotic grabber arm swung down and closed on Pikachu. The arm shot back up when it had attained its target. The Rocket Gang continued to reel in their apparent victory.

"Chaaa!" Pikachu whined. It instinctively shocked the grabber claw, but it was still no use. The claw seemed to be made of rubber.

"Pikachu!" Satoshi screamed! He yanked a monster ball from his belt. "Go, Subame!"

A hardy swallow Pokemon appeared from the ball. Satoshi commanded, "Subame, try to drill Pikachu out of that mech grabber."

"Subaa!" crowed Subame. It shot up towards the rubber claw that held Pikachu in captivity. Subame slammed its beak into the claw, and its beak twisted and warped. Alas, the claw was only coated in rubber, but was metal underneath. Subame spiraled for the ground. Satoshi caught the little bird, and cradled him in his arms. More laughs from the Rockets.

Haruka growled deep in her throat. "I've had enough! Agehunto, try ramming into the cockpit!"

Agehunto sprung upwards toward the cockpit, and slammed with all its strength into the glass that seperated it from the Rockets. Instead of breaking the glass, it brained itself on it. It stuck there like a bug splattered on windshield. When it finally streaked down the glass and fluttered to the ground, it was plain to see that Agehunto would be alright; but he was in no condition for battle right now.

Tears found their way to the corners of Haruka's eyes. "Agehunto! Oh, my poor pretty butterfly!"

Nyasuu teased, "Triple-layer glass does not break so easily from the force of a bug splattering there."

Haruka seemed really mad. Out came Achamo, and the cheerful chicken got so excited it rammed straight into one of the mecha's legs and flattened its face. Haruka sighed, and begged, "Achamo! Please, just try to concentrate! This is a very important battle!"

Achamo pulled itself off the ground, finding a new strength and nodding courageously. "Chamo cha!"

The Rockets rewarded this courage with a boot in the tail feathers from one of the mechas massive feet. The Rockets continued to laugh in the face of Haruka's building rage. It appeared that Achamo had a building rage itself. Although it was scratched and bruised pretty well, it got up and let forth a Lizardon-powered stream of fire!

The Rockets stopped laughing. Sato-tachi was amazed, including Haruka. Kasumi watched Haruka intently, watching to see what she would do next. Haruka seemed to meet Kasumi's approval when she went smoothly with the moment and ordered, "Achamo, aim for the legs!"

Achamo had been hitting the belly of the mech before but lowered its head and attacked the mecha's legs. "Chamoooooo!"

"This is Achamo's characteristic 'Raging Fire,'" Masato explained proudly. "Whenever Achamo is low on health, it's fire attacks are much more powerful because it's angry."

No one seemed to be listening to Masato. Instead, they were watching Haruka with extreme interest. Inside the cockpit of the mecha, the Rockets were frozen with fear. Musashi muttered, "This is going to feel--"

"Really bad." Kojiro finished.

"Sooonansu!" So it is.

The next thing they knew, the steel legs of the mecha had warped away so the mecha collapsed to the ground with a booming thud. The impact must have jarred the motor very badly, because an explosion followed that sent the Rockets hurtling towards Sato-tachi. Meanwhile, Sato-tachi coughed madly for air.

Subame - who simply flapped the dust and debris cloud out of his way - caught sight of Pikachu, who had been released from the gripper when the mecha was destroyed. The electric rodent was falling sharply and quickly for family of boulders. The little bird soared through the air at lightspeed, going to the aid of the naturally-screaming Pikachu. He gripped Pikachu's tail in his beak, fighting to keep hold of the rodent as he flew for the ground. When he got there, Subame dropped Pikachu safely in Satoshi's arms. Satoshi opened one eye, and hugged Pikachu.

Subame then went to work clearing the dust from the air, and did so in all of about thirty seconds. Sato-tachi gathered around a wheezing Rocket Gang. The Rocket Gang opened their eyes, seeing Sato-tachi looming over them with looks of disdain in their eyes.

They sprang up and back. Musashi and Kojiro took a monster ball each from their belts. Musashi declared, "We are not finished yet! Get them, Habunake!"

Once released, Habunake hissed, "Haaaa!!!"

"Sabonea, get them!" Kojiro commanded. Sabonea materialized, and when it saw Kojiro, it hugged him around the neck. The needles dug into Kojiro's throat and he began choking and screaming.

"Pikachu," Satoshi began. He did not finish, however. Koduck, apparently even further revived by the shock of the collapsing mecha, was screaming around the battlefield. Habunake gripped its horrendous jaws around the inviting target of Koduck's skull. Kasumi was about ready to commence with violence.

"Damn you, Koduck!" she screamed. She staggered back, though, when Koduck manifested another head-splitter. Its eyes were blue again, and it seemed ready for another big attack.

"Wonderful," Kasumi cheered emphatically. "Okay, Koduck, let's use Confusion!"

Satoshi whispered to Masato, "Will this one work?"

Masato decided it would, nodding and saying, "Yes, for certain."

Sato-tachi watched as Koduck telekinetically wrenched Habunake off and away from its head, and then lifted the Rockets into the air. It sent them repeatedly across the clearing and crashing into two parallel trees on either side. Finally, Koduck dropped the Rockets on the ruins of their precious mecha, and then fell butt-first to the ground. Koduck was exhausted!

That was okay, because Satoshi was ready to take over. "Now, Pikachu, 10,000 volt attack!"

Pikachu once again executed the move, and this time it sputtered for the Rockets and hit them with perfect accuracy. They squirmed and fried in the deep current of thunder. A fuel cell inside the mecha must have been hit by the charge, because there was another explosion. This time, the Rocket Gang, ruined mecha and all, were sent hurtling into the air and out of sight.

"Feels baaaaaddd!!!" they yelled.

A trailing, "Sooooonansu!" followed. So it is.

When it was well over, Haruka ran to Achamo and cuddled it closely. "Ah, Achamo! We did it! We won!"

"Chamo cha!" Achamo tweeted. It's entire body came alive with a bright white light. Haruka almost dropped the little quail-chicken in surprise.

"Huh?" she breathed. Before she knew it, she was clutching to a very Pokemon twice as tall. It was heavier, too. It looked somewhat like Achamo, but had more reddish feathers. Its head was more pronounced, and its sproutling wings were replaced by clawish protrusions. Its tiny chicken feet had been replaced by very sharp talons. "Shaaa!" it hissed. "Shaa-mo!"

"Wow," Masato uttered. "It evolved to the next stage -- it's Wakashamo now!"

"What is a Wakashamo?" Satoshi breathed. He snapped open his Pokedex, and it's firm feminine voice tinned out a description of Wakashamo.

Note: If anyone could give me a description of Wakashamo from the Japanese version of Ru/Sa, I would be very grateful! ^^;

Satoshi chuckled, "So that is a Wakashamo."

Haruka smiled nervously, and backed away a couple of yards or so. Wakashamo zoomed at her at a screaming speed, apparently having the same friendly disposition as before.

Satoshi felt a sweat drop dripping down the side of his narrowed face. "Wakashamo is starting to remind me of... Bayleef." Satoshi remembered his beloved plant Pokemon he had left back at the lab of Ookido Hakase. When Bayleef was still untrained, it had often rammed into him fiercely while only meaning to be affectionate.

Haruka screamed, and Wakashamo slammed into her like rock. That was nothing compared to the fist that Kasumi drove into Haruka's skull when the less experienced trainer started yelling for Wakashamo to get away from her. Wakashamo's feeling were getting trampled on.

That was nothing compared to the fist that Kasumi drove into Haruka's skull when the less experienced trainer started yelling for Wakashamo to get away from her. Wakashamo's feeling were getting trampled on.

"You are inexperienced," Kasumi snarled. "Just because your Pokemon is a little different now, you stray away from it. Grow up!"

Satoshi was one to rub it in, if he could remember what he was rubbing it in about. "I seem to remember someone straying away from Caterpie and hurting its feelings, Kasumi."

Agehunto's monster ball opened up in all the ruckus, and twirled about loose among the group. As though Satoshi's word had been a que, Agehunto perched on Kasumi's shoulder. Kasumi just regarded the butterfly dociley, and said, "There are some fears we all grow out of, Satoshi."

Haruka got up and brushed off, and Kasumi continued, "Besides, although Haruka shows talent, her skills need to be honed. I will help her do that."

Haruka wanted to protest, but it was Satoshi who objected, "I'm already doing a good job of that."

Kasumi sighed, pointing out, "Just who was it that turned a rookie into a champion?"

Satoshi was about to object to that, but stopped short. "Did you just call me a champion?"

Kasumi blushed slightly. "That is what you are, Satoshi. You'll never hear me deny it."

Satoshi nodded, almost bowing. "Thank you, Kasumi."

Takeshi's brow flickered for a second. Then, he came out with, "Hey! Now I get it! The reason Kasumi always returns to Satoshi is because she is in love with him!"

"Pika pi?" Pikachu seemed quite taken with the prospect.

Satoshi and Kasumi blushed wildly, screaming into Takeshi's face, "THAT IS NOT THE TRUTH!!!"

As though to make certain that the idea was dismissed, she cut in, "Besides, Satoshi needs me to ensure his success every bit as much as Haruka does!"

"What?!" Satoshi yelled. "I'm doing just fine without you!"

"Now is no time to argue that," Kasumi brushed off lethargically. Satoshi seemed to get even madder, but Kasumi ignored it. "What matters most is that I'm going to show Haruka how a real Pokemon trainer does things."

Haruka couldn't help but get in a dig on Satoshi. "You mean, a real trainer does not have his Pikachu destroy your bicycle."

Satoshi defended, "Hey, that was a mistake! It was only an accident."

Kasumi's brow twitched fiercely. "He destroyed another bike?"

Satoshi began defending himself, but the sound of Kasumi's blood boiling kept her from hearing it. Finally, Satoshi stopped. Kasumi saw an opportunity, and a chance to get rid of Haruka after a while. "If we ever get back to Masara Town, you can have my bike, Haruka-chan."

"Why thank you, Kasumi-kun," Haruka chimed. She put a friendly arm around Kasumi, making Kasumi twitch a little. "I think you'll make a great teacher, Kasumi-kun!"

Satoshi was a little confused. "Kasumi, why would you just give away your bike like that?"

Kasumi came up with a little half-truth. "Well, I'm saving your ass! If I didn't help you, you'd have to pay Haruka back yourself."

Kasumi held back total glee as she found her big excuse as to why she'd have to stick with Satoshi. "Which means I'm loaning you a bike! You'll owe me for a new one!"

Sastoshi staggered back, he and Pikachu flailing at Kasumi's boldness. Masato was not so taken aback, as he knew very well what Kasumi was really doing. He groaned to himself, "She really does like him! The pain..."

Takeshi hugged Masato tightly, winding him. Tears rolled from Takeshi's eyes. "I know how you feel, Masato!"

The entire gang stopped then, for there was a loud buzzing. Satoshi grinned, and asked, "Kasumi, you said that there are some fears that you grow out of..."

A swarm of Spear had been disturbed by the destruction of the Rocket mecha. They flocked in front of Sato-tachi, looking ready to attack.

Kasumi twitched, her eyes bulging from their sockets. "Th-- Then there are some fears which you never grow out of..."

Kasumi screamed, both she and Koduck running in the opposite direction. The rest of Sato-tachi followed suit, and Haruka cried, "Why me?!"

So, this is the world of Pokemon. All is back as it once was. It truly if that the more things change, the more things stay the same.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Well, how did you like the story as a whole. Pretty good? Not too bad? Should it be killed to death?
    Last edited by Mew2Too; 31st January 2003 at 08:49 AM.

Given his age and a minor crush, I believe Masato could probably use "-chan" here.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Originally posted by Murgatroyd
    Given his age and a minor crush, I believe Masato could probably use "-chan" here.
    Just as I had hoped, Murg-kun. I am just learning Japanese, and I'm just beginning to understand the title -chan. Watashi wa yora desu yo.

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Psyduck is a pure Water type, not half-Water. Nice story otherwise though. Writing style is a little bit different from most of the fics I'm used to reading but that's a good thing.

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499 -- 3DS #2: 2036 8216 4990

Originally posted by Geodude
    Psyduck is a pure Water type, not half-Water. Nice story otherwise though. Writing style is a little bit different from most of the fics I'm used to reading but that's a good thing.
    Ah, gomen nasaei. On the show, Koduck is often portrayed as being half-Psychic. That was indeed a small error though. In that case, Masato would have been twice as correct. Psychic type moves would not have worked well at all on the Bug/Flying Agehunto -- especially coming from a pure Water type.

The differences in the writing style are probably to be expected. I did everything I could to adapt the characters straight out of the Japanese version.

I even kept some Japanese form in the story. The "I assure you" at the end of the some of the sentences is based on the Japanese particle yo. Team Rocket is called "Rocket Gang," just like in the Japanese version. I try not to loose the whole Soonansu joke alive, where as it is lost when it dubbed "Wobbuffet."

Satoshi even swears - something I discovered while reading a translated transcription of "Bye Bye Butterfree."

I want to do more of these just because of the writing style. As descriptive as I try to be, I also like to be just like anime-style of telling a story - frank and to the point.

I'm afraid to, though. Mostly, it is because I want to stay as close to the show as possible. The whole idea behind this fic was to make a kind of template for a second season premiere in which Kasumi returns. I would really like to develop a teacher/sister relationship between Kasumi and Haruka. That would be simple enough.

What about the Pokemon, though? What Pokemon would I give Haruka. By season 2, she'd have to have more, wouldn't she? Which Pokemon should I giver her, and how do I explain it?

If I give Kasumi a Pokemon, should it be a Water or a Rock type. Should she do a 360 like Takeshi in the type of monsters she trains? What personality should this Pokemon have?

Should I do just Kasumi/Kasumi-Haruka friendship stories. Should I try to write up an entire 52-story second season? These are the questions that plague me.

Truly, I like doing these stories more than I liked doing JTC. JTC is great, and I love it! But, these stories are simple and entertaining. They are very true to the show. I think that's something new to fanfiction - what if I actually did something they might actually do. That's what I wanted to do here. I wanted to show that Kasumi and Haruka could peacefully co-exist and even form a friendship. I've revived the chemistry between Satoshi and Kasumi without being outright shippy. Also, I would like to make Takeshi carry a little less baggage.

Masato, as much as I say he's trash outside the fanfics, was actually very useful. After all, he tells the characters and audience why something happens without me having to interject. Do you know how much of a writer's block nightmare telling you all why Koduck got his ass kicked by Agehunto. Well, Masato just says, "Psychic moves don't go for shit against a Bug type." Simple as that!

So, do you guys like my style of doing Sato-tachi fanfics enough to put up with a little more?

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Originally posted by Mew2Too
    Ah, gomen nasaei. On the show, Koduck is often portrayed as being half-Psychic. That was indeed a small error though. In that case, Masato would have been twice as correct. Psychic type moves would not have worked well at all on the Bug/Flying Agehunto -- especially coming from a pure Water type.
    Another mistake. Psychic attacks actually do normal damage to Bugs. Go set it up, try a Butterfree against a Mewtwo and you'll see.

Another mistake. Psychic attacks actually do normal damage to Bugs. Go set it up, try a Butterfree against a Mewtwo and you'll see.
    Quite untrue, as Butterfree is also part Psychic. I'm uncertain, but aren't two Psychic types somewhat weak to each other. I believe I read on one of the old type match-up charts - the first, in fact, that you could download from Nintendo - that two Psychic types are weak to each other.

Besides, it isn't that a Psychic move would do no damage to a bug type. It is only that it wouldn't do super effective damage to a Bug type. In any case, there are many cases where the anime itself has twisted the rules. For example, in the Kimori episode, Pikachu shocks the crap out of Kimori. Masato objects, saying that an Electric type should not do that much damage to a Grass type. Takeshi says it is not to be wondered at, as Satoshi's Pikachu is simply more experienced than Kimori. I'm not so sure that - if Kimori were level 30 something and Pikachu level 50 something - such a thing would be true. Yet, it was a convenient plot device.

So, perhaps Haruka just had beginner's luck.

Anyway, like it or not you guys, I'm writing more of these. I'm doing only ones that highlight Kasumi. There will be some gaps where there would typically be potential filler in the series. However, as the show not very big on continuity anyway, this should be rather simple to pull off.

The next one, Kasumi will catch a Pokemon - perhaps two!

In any case, there are many cases where the anime itself has twisted the rules. For example, in the Kimori episode, Pikachu shocks the crap out of Kimori. Masato objects, saying that an Electric type should not do that much damage to a Grass type. Takeshi says it is not to be wondered at, as Satoshi's Pikachu is simply more experienced than Kimori. I'm not so sure that - if Kimori were level 30 something and Pikachu level 50 something - such a thing would be true. Yet, it was a convenient plot device.
    That wasn't his explanation at all. Brock explained that a Grass type's resistance to electric attacks is because its body is built to ground the attacks out without much damage. Once Kimori was in the air, it could no longer do so, and lost its resistance.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Originally posted by Murgatroyd
    That wasn't his explanation at all. Brock explained that a Grass type's resistance to electric attacks is because its body is built to ground the attacks out without much damage. Once Kimori was in the air, it could no longer do so, and lost its resistance.
    :bawling: How am I surviving without my precious subtitles!

Well, it has become an educational experience. That is why I watch them unsubbed. After a while, you begin to grab pronuciation like nothing. Simple words and phrases - and to some degree, grammar - become very apparent to you.

And, just talking to Murg-kun is quite helpful, as well. So nan yo!

EDIT: Oh, and also, I love the way in which Masato has become a student of Takeshi. It seems Takeshi does know a little more than Masato, which is a relief. (Masato is not an annoying Wesley Crusher know-it-all brat after all! Yay!) I just love the gaku/sensei relationship they share, and think it's a really practical approach.

What? Proper character development and good plot devices in 'Advance Generation" ? Impossible!
    Last edited by Mew2Too; 2nd February 2003 at 08:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Quite untrue, as Butterfree is also part Psychic. I'm uncertain, but aren't two Psychic types somewhat weak to each other. I believe I read on one of the old type match-up charts - the first, in fact, that you could download from Nintendo - that two Psychic types are weak to each other.
    If you meant that Psychic attacks are weak against Psychic types, that much is true. (For example, an Alakazam's Psychic is "not very effective" against a Hypno.) But Butterfree is a Bug/Flying type who just happens to know Psychic attacks, it isn't a Psychic type at all. Therefore, Psychic attacks do in fact do normal damage to Butterfree. As another example, Venomoth can also learn Psychic attacks, but it's a Bug/Poison type. I recognize that in R/B, Psychic attacks were weak against Bug types (I think), but ever since Yellow, Psychic attacks do normal damage to Bugs.

I don't mean to harp on this or seem like I'm nitpicking, but you do want accuracy in your fics right? I'm gonna go back and read your fic again, I find it interesting to see a different perspective on the characters, as long as it stays in-character.
    Last edited by Geodude; 2nd February 2003 at 02:49 AM.

If you meant that Psychic attacks are weak against Psychic types, that much is true. (For example, an Alakazam's Psychic is "not very effective" against a Hypno.) But Butterfree is a Bug/Flying type who just happens to know Psychic attacks, it isn't a Psychic type at all. Therefore, Psychic attacks do in fact do normal damage to Butterfree. As another example, Venomoth can also learn Psychic attacks, but it's a Bug/Poison type. I recognize that in R/B, Psychic attacks were weak against Bug types (I think), but ever since Yellow, Psychic attacks do normal damage to Bugs.
    Mmh, you have some interesting points, Geodude. I think I must go back and visit "Earl's Pokemon Academy" in PokeSta 2. Everything I learned, I learned from Earl!

Anyway, don't forget that a Bug/Poison type would take super effective damage from a Psychic type. If you remember, the Gastly family caused a little controversy until G/S because it's part Poison status was making it weak to Psychic types.

Anyway, Earl has the old chart, but it's updated for G/S/C.

Oh, and as to the accuracy - yes, I strive for accuracy. Sometimes, though, I do see little bits here and there where the anime made a little fib. For example, unless Ru/Sa changed this, that whole Kimori thing wouldn't have happened. Yet, it was convenient for the anime and likely made sense. (In real life, the anime principles would probably hold more true.)

Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Nope, I didn't forget the Bug/Poison's weakness to Psychic...it was just an example that just because a Pokemon can learn several Psychic attacks doesn't make it a part Psychic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast