So how do you get unblocked? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how do you get unblocked?

Some writers are able to use language very well - Sheakespeare is the best example that I can think of, and it really increases the vividity of the story. I think a lot of people are in the same boat as us though - good ideas but unable to convey them properly on paper without making them seem clumsy or stupid.
    I fear the llama and those that wield it.

You know who you are.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

I once heard an author describe what he called "the three Rs of writing" and how these helped him to get published:
    [list=1][*]Reserve time to write (early in the morning, late at night, on breaks from school or work)[*]Remove all distractions (no radio or TV, no other material but what you've already written or your outline)[*]Relax (feel the story flow out of you and onto the paper or keyboard)[/list=1]

When you are done writing, go back and enhance your work. Ensure that each action verb is exactly the one you want to use.
    Remove obsolete adjectives or adverbs. And remember that words do have power. Use imagery in your work. Imagery is the ability to speak to the reader's five senses.

You know, for kids! A Concerned Solomon's Avatar

Funny thing: I just let loose with whatever words come to me. I do tend to craft my sentences laboriously, however. Just, whatever flows right, I suppose...

Blog Entries

Personally I've been underneath a writer's block (not blocked by one, because then I could just go around it) for at least 2 years, although three times I've managed to get out and write something that I consider to be good, but then the block falls back on me. To get the block off of me it takes something to REALLY effect me in some way. Maybe a random song (could be one I've heard a THOUSAND times), or a sudden change in the weather, or an occurrence between myself and someone. All those things could jar the block off of me and get me to write, and in that case I just write until my brain stops working, which sucks when I'm mid-sentence and forget what tense I'm using so I have to check, and then...it's gone.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Has anyone tried to force themselves out of writer's block by simply writing, i.e., "I'm gonna write 350 words today" or "I'm gonna write for at least a half-hour today"? Has this helped?
    I know I've tried it, but I don't always like what I end up writing.

I've done that, but, like you said, what I end up writing doesn't always turn out all that well. Actually, it rarely turns out to be something I would show to other people.
    *Looks at her many unfinished stories that will probably never be completed due to lack of quality*

"Kiss My Ash!" - me
    I am a proud defender of Ash.
    Why?
    Because he is such a cutie!
    Member of the OPS and proud supporter of Pokeshipping
    Check out my fanfiction

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Barb
    [*]Remove all distractions (no radio or TV, no other material but what you've already written or your outline)
    That's strange, because I can't write in that situation. I have to have *something* going on, like a song going, or what have you...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12