So how do you get unblocked?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how do you get unblocked?

Manga Sam Fangirl Revolutionary Girl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question So how do you get unblocked?

Well, we've all probably experienced it at one time or another--the dreaded BLOCK. The big thing that just says, "The plot is willing but the language is weak." I'm going on one year of block for a story, and I just don't know what to do! *wails*

Writers: What do you do to get unblocked? Does writing another story help? RPing? Checking out the story from another angle?

Artists: Do you guys get the dreaded block too? If so, how do you get out of it?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

"Ol' Flying Fingers Sammy jumped the gun."

Pokemaniacs Anonymous: Growing old =/= growing up.

I got blocks all the time, as I'm always writing or drawing something... writing blocks are a little harder to break than drawing blocks. Sometimes I get "stuck" on stories... I don't know how to continue them or finish them, so I just leave them. You can beat that by backtracking and thinking up a different direction to take the story, sometimes. Writing other random stories can help boost your esteem, too... every once in awhile I'll just write some random scene that will help with a block. Art blocks are usually directly connected to my mood... if I'm depressed or just blah, sometimes I'll have a hard time drawing, whether its for a few hours or a few days. I just can't think of anything to draw... understandable when you're locked in a style. Music is a huge inspiration for me, so sometimes listening to music and trying to illustrate the mood of the song or the lyrics helps...

Relax and don't think about writing. I just sit around and listen to music or play a game. Stressing over how to continue does not usually help. After a bit of 'R & R' go back to it and see if you can think of something new. This usually helps me out. ^_^
    "Hmm... Webmaster of popular pokemon site takes illegal drugs..."

I usually do sixty-second gesture-drawings, or sketch out some agonizingly deformed creatures. However, I don't hit blocks, much. I'm just all-around lazy.

... Heh, I'm a freak. :>

I used to (don't any more) write comedy, so this may or may not help you.

I would write short stories about giant wooden blocks with the words "Writer's Block" written on it, running around crushing people. By the time I was laughing to the point of crying, I had new ideas and could then continue.

I don't think that's going to help you, but that is really what I did.

- Trip
    Oooh... Pretty colors...
    AIM: Just One Trip
    YIM: murky_krow
    Google Talk murkykrow (at) gmail (dot) com

RabbitEars

Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Manga Sam Fangirl Revolutionary Girl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

:D @ Trip--That is the loveliest and funniest image I've ever "seen." Even as I read it, I started giggling. Thanks for that!

*smites Karate for being lucky enough to never block* :P Hee hee, though, about being lazy... maybe part of my problem is that I'm infinitely lazy too. :)

Trigrin and Kuno have the right idea about the music. That's usually what I do--even to the point of discovering that I actually can't write a certain fic without a certain song, or the mood's just lost.

Thanks, folks, I'm going to give these a try! Everyone else, keep the ideas/ thoughts/ etc. coming!

"Ol' Flying Fingers Sammy jumped the gun."

Pokemaniacs Anonymous: Growing old =/= growing up.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I just have spark when I'm depressed. Otherwise, I can't write at all...

I'm depressed a lot. Seriously. :( :(

-evkl
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

I usually try to write something else, and go back to the story I was blocked on later.
    Unfortunately, that hasn't always worked for me, but it does make me feel better, because I know that I'm at least getting something accomplished. Even if it isn't the story I should be working to finish. ^^;;;

"Kiss My Ash!" - me
    I am a proud defender of Ash.
    Why?
    Because he is such a cutie!
    Member of the OPS and proud supporter of Pokeshipping
    Check out my fanfiction

Kaz

Drink Cherry coke, eat chocolate, and watch either Tenchi or Blackadder.

>D
    I love bacon more than I love your mom.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

basically I just write whatever comes to mind. But you all know how well *that* works...

I really have no motivation, that's my problem.

You know, for kids! A Concerned Solomon's Avatar

I myself keep multiple projects running at all times. One of them HAS to work, I figure, so I'll usually get something done even if I hit the block.

If I only have one, I listen to music. I have a very eclectic taste in that regard.

Jellybaby for your brain! Mew2Too's Avatar

I typically eat donuts or spicy foods before bed. It gives me weird dreams, and I get inspired.

One night, I had a dream that my Mom had arranged to send our dog to the pound. They were gonna put him to sleep and replace him with a Golden Retriever named "Kaz." ( Kaz, I beg, don't be insulted, because I have no idea where my stupid subconcious pulled that one up from! Baka Mew2Too's subconcious! Baka! )

Anyway, I got a six story arc where Team Rocket is trying to steal Kurisu Bakayuushi's Raikou and he ends up with a Houndour named Jet Black. (Who, as some may know, is my best PASBL Pokie.)

So, anyway, watch out for good dreams. Who knows, they might bring little snippits detail you missed during the day. However, just ignore it when your subconcious does something stupid like makes one of your friends a Golden Retriever. ( 's his subconcious. )
    What kind of Pokemon am I?

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had one once where I was a detective trailing Bisashu, who was a serial killer *something I don't actually doubt, but still*

I find I'm blocked most of the time, I just get moments of ispiration which I go with thill my idease are exhausted. Usually I get inpiration from the TV or else from thinking what would go well cinematically to a piece of music (whenever I think out my stories in my head, it's always in widescreen cinema form... strange eh?). I'm also just pretty clumsy at the actual writing bit of the story - I'm usually very pleased with my ideas, and overall picture, but once I start writing the narrative I just run into a massive block and never get the story finished.
    I fear the llama and those that wield it.

You know who you are.

Jellybaby for your brain! Mew2Too's Avatar

Originally posted by Adam
    I'm also just pretty clumsy at the actual writing bit of the story - I'm usually very pleased with my ideas, and overall picture, but once I start writing the narrative I just run into a massive block and never get the story finished.
    Likewise. The narrative form is just such a dumbed-down way to convey mental pictures. If you could actually see my JTC stuff from my brain into some kind of capture device, you'd find a very rich, very artistically-designed world.

But mere words are just too clumsy for most pieces of great literature. There are only so many words you can use to express a thing or feeling or character with any accuracy.
    What kind of Pokemon am I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast