Rival's Story - Page 9
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Rival's Story

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival's Story

Ahh, only one reply this chapter? Tsk, it can't be helped I suppose. Make sure you people click the link in my sig, yes? (The one that doesn't link you straight back to the start of this thread obviously)

Anyway, here is the next chapter people, enjoy!

Chapter 25

“Go Kadabra!” yelled Blue, sending out his faithful Psychic type.
    “Dig!” commanded Red, not changing strategy even though he no longer possessed a type advantage.
    “Shock Wave when he surfaces, Kadabra!” ordered Blue.

Blue looked to Red to see the shock in his eyes at Kadabra knowing Shock Wave, but it didn’t come. Then it hit Blue, there was nothing special about Red’s Raticate! Red had used a TM for the move Dig on it! So, Red had gotten at least one TM too, what other unexpected moves would his Pokémon know? Blue noted to himself that TMs were clearly instrumental in being victorious in battling.

Kadabra reacted a lot faster than Charmeleon when Raticate surfaced, probably due to its psychic abilities, which meant it could track the precise location of Raticate at all times. The moment Raticate surfaced, Kadabra hit it with a Shock Wave attack, which disrupted its execution of its Dig technique, not enough to throw the attack of completely, but enough to cause it to hesitate for a second, which was enough time for Kadabra to Teleport out of the way of the attack, causing Raticate to hit the floor and injure itself. Before Raticate had a chance to pick itself up, Kadabra hit it with a second Shock Wave and continued to do so until Raticate was knocked out. Blue was back in the lead.

“It’s far from over, Blue, trust me on that one!” snapped Red, selecting his next Pokémon.

Blue smiled as he noticed Red hesitate over whether to send out Bulbasaur or his new Pokémon, perhaps Red wasn’t as with it as Blue had given him credit for.

“Ivysaur!” yelled Red, throwing down the Poké Ball for his starter, which clearly had evolved since Blue had last seen it. That wasn’t that shocking though, everyone on Blue’s team, save Pidgeotto, had evolved since Red had last seen them. In all honesty, if Bulbasaur hadn’t evolved, Blue would have been disappointed, it would have indicated that Red was lagging behind and Blue knew that if he didn’t have a rival who was on a par with him, he’d probably become lax. In all honesty, beating Red was his main motivation to do anything in life and if Red became easy to beat, Blue’s efforts would probably begin to falter as well.

Nevertheless, Blue was certain that he could win, he still had three Pokémon remaining and Red had just two. Not only that but Blue’s current Pokémon was strong against Red’s current Pokémon, just two or three Confusions and Ivysaur would be no more. Unless Red’s last Pokémon was spectacular, this was in the bag.

“Confusion!” ordered Blue.
    “Sleep Powder!” retorted Red.

Ivysaur was hit with a Confusion attack due to Kadabra’s spectacularly superior speed, however it was still able to launch a fine powder out of the bud on its back which sent Kadabra to sleep. Kadabra instantly hit the floor, smashing its chin on the floor pretty hard as it did so, Blue’s Pokédex claimed that Kadabra’s evolutionary line could sense if any danger was about to befall them even in their sleep, but looking at Kadabra in its current state, Blue couldn’t help but doubt that – he didn’t think Kadabra was aware of anything at the moment.

“Leech Seed!” ordered Red, showing no mercy.

Blue begged Kadabra to wake up, but to no avail, he could change Pokémon, but what for? So they could be put to sleep too? If he waited it out, there was a chance Kadabra would wake up and use Confusion, which, if it didn’t take Ivysaur out completely, would reduce it to very low health and then, even if it ended up going straight back to sleep, a switch out to Pidgeotto would take care of Ivysaur simply enough.

Red ordered Ivysaur to relentlessly use Vine Whip on the sleeping Kadabra while Blue pleaded with it to wake up. Things looked hopeless, but suddenly, Kadabra awoke and used Confusion! Not only that, but before Ivysaur had a chance to successfully send it back to sleep, Kadabra was able to get another Confusion in! Surely that meant a certain KO! However, Ivysaur did not fall, Ivysaur did not even seem injured. Then, Blue noticed Kadabra wincing in pain without Ivysaur even attacking it. He’d forgotten to take the Leech Seed into account! Ivysaur was on much higher health that he had accounted for, while Kadabra was on much lower!

“Vine Whip!” shouted Red.

Ivysaur immediately obeyed and hit Kadabra with a final Vine Whip which KO’d it with a single hit.

Blue cursed and chose his next Pokémon, it was a no brainer really. Not only did Pidgeotto have a type advantage against Ivysaur, but it stood a good chance of being able to avoid being hit by a Sleep Powder, by using its Gust attack.

“Pidgeotto!” cried Blue, throwing down the appropriate Poké Ball.

“Just use Gust until that thing can’t take any more!” ordered Blue.
    “Sleep Powder!” ordered Red, confident in his previous strategy.

Pidgeotto, being much faster than Ivysaur, was able to execute its attack first, meaning that by the time Ivysaur launched its Sleep Powder, Gust had already taken effect, resulting in the Sleep Powder being blown back into Ivysaur’s face! Ivysaur was resistant to the effects of its own powder, so it didn’t fall asleep, but this powder did serve to cause a fair amount of confusion, giving Pidgeotto the opportunity to launch several Gust attacks with no competition whatsoever! In under a minute, Ivysaur was knocked out and Red was down to a single Pokémon. It all depended on what this Pokémon was, if it were another Electric type, Pidgeotto wouldn’t stand a chance and it would boil down to one on one. If it were a Rock type, both Pidgeotto and Raticate would struggle to damage it, but then again, they had, between them, prior to either of them evolving, managed to take out Brock’s Geodude, so perhaps a Rock type wouldn’t be that hopeless after all.

“Mankey, come on out!” yelled Red, throwing out his final Poké Ball.

A white, monkey like Pokémon with a snout emerged from the Poké Ball. Blue had heard about Mankey when studying with Oak, it was a Fighting type and it learnt exclusively Fighting and Normal type moves – this was going to be a cakewalk, Red didn’t stand a chance. It was unlikely that Raticate would last very long against this opponent, but fortunately, with Pidgeotto’s type advantage, resistance and superior evolutionary stage, this battle was in the bag, Blue was going to keep his lead after all.

“Gust,” ordered Blue coolly, there was no longer a sense of urgency in his voice, there was nothing Red could do at this point… or so he thought.

At that point Red smiled as if he had something up his sleeve, but it was impossible, a Mankey simply didn’t stand a chance against a Pidgeotto, but Blue couldn’t shake the doubt that he had overlooked something, it was only seconds he would have to wait before he found out, but still, they felt like an eternity.

“Rock Tomb,” commanded Red with a superior smile on his face.

Then it dawned on Blue, Dig was not the only TM that Red had obtained, which meant that in terms of TMs, Red was ahead. By extension, this meant that in terms of Pokémon techniques, Red was again, ahead, which meant that Red was probably going to end up ahead in terms of battles won, but Blue wasn’t about to give up yet!

Pidgeotto flapped its wings with amazing power, successfully knocking Mankey off of its feet and dealing a great deal of damage, but not enough. Mankey tensed its muscles and gestured violently at Pidgeotto, at first this appeared to be some kind of taunt, but when rocks fell out of the sky, sending Pidgeotto to the ground, it appeared that this was much more than a taunt. Pidgeotto was not taken out yet though and was able to attack with another Gust, Blue still had hope, they had dealt each other approximately equal amounts of damage and Pidgeotto was faster, which meant that Pidgeotto still stood a decent chance of beating Mankey! However, this time Mankey’s Rock Tomb struck first, Blue’s heart sank and his brow furrowed in bewilderment, then it hit him – Rock Tomb had taken a toll on Pidgeotto’s speed and allowed Mankey to move first! It was all over! Mankey hit Pidgeotto with two more Rock Tombs and that was it, Pidgeotto was knocked out.

Blue noted that he had one Pokémon remaining, as did Red, he also noted that his final Pokémon was weak against Red’s final Pokémon, but there was still a faint flicker of hope remaining. Mankey was on very low health from the Gust attacks it had been subjected to, if Raticate could take Mankey out with a Quick Attack before it had a chance to attack Raticate, then Blue could still win. Blue threw Raticate’s Poké Ball out into the makeshift arena, furiously yelling the command to use Quick Attack.

Unfortunately, similarly to most of this battle, things did not go according to plan for Blue and Mankey used Low Kick with perfect timing, so that Mankey’s foot made contact with Raticate’s face at the same second that Raticate would have hit it with its Quick Attack, resulting in Low Kick not only being extra powerful due to Mankey’s type advantage but also due to the extra force as a result of Raticate flying into the kick at an astonishing speed. Raticate was knocked out in a single hit.

Blue couldn’t believe it, he had lost to Red again. He felt like breaking down and crying, he hated himself for not making the most of his early victories against Red and he hated himself even more for not keeping up with Red’s strength, but he couldn’t let Red know this, he had to keep a strong face on.

“That was a nice battle,” smirked Red, “But what I really came on board for was to find the Cut HM, apparently someone on board can give it to me?”
    Blue nodded to indicate that he heard the same thing, then continued to explain, “I heard there was a Cut Master on board, but he was just a seasick old man!”
    “Oh right,” responded Red, “I won’t bother with him then, I’m sure I can find another way into the Gym.”
    “But Cut itself is really useful!” exclaimed Blue, a bit too eagerly, he didn’t want Red to bypass the disgusting sight of the Captain, he wanted Red to have to go through at least as many challenges and setbacks as he himself did, “You should go see him!”
    “Alright,” answered Red, “I will, thanks for the advice, buddy.”
    Blue found it hard to disguise his rage at Red referring to him as ‘buddy’ and had to keep his reply to as few words as possible, “Smell ya!” he mustered and made a hasty exit, leaving the S.S. Anne as quickly as possible.

Blue's Team: Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Raticate, Kadabra
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magikarp
    Blue's Pokédex: 15 Caught, 41 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 3

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

LOL. Those pokedexes and their information.

Great chapter. I liked it. Though, I never did think Blue would win. Shame.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

He needs to win again.
    Swampert_rox

Thanks to Emi-chan and Blazaking EX for the banner!

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

Yay! Ch. 25!

Poor Blue.

Yup.
    Swampert_rox

Thanks to Emi-chan and Blazaking EX for the banner!

Is Golden. The Golden Tyranitar's Avatar
    Sitting in an armchair in a quiet library in Driftveil City.
    Blog Entries

Highly enjoyable.Strayed from the game script a bit,but who's counting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Tyranitar View Post
    Highly enjoyable.Strayed from the game script a bit,but who's counting?
    IT DID?!!?!?!?

WHERE?!?!?!

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastlys Mama View Post
    IT DID?!!?!?!?

WHERE?!?!?!
    I sense someone is overreacting, somewhere in the world... lol
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

Whoops,that was last chapter...Sorry ;D

Blog Entries

Hey all, there's been a slur of new fics today and for a second I thought Rival's Story had regressed back to the second page, but thankfully not and just to affirm that - here is another chapter!

And for those saying that Blue needs to win again, if you mean against Red, think you'll find that after the first two battles, Red has to win against Blue, so if I did it any different, it'd be inconsistent. Aaaaanyway, here's the next chapter and it includes something lots of people have been looking forward to... enjoy!

Chapter 26

Blue left the S.S. Anne as quickly as he could, with no real idea of where he was going. The remaining Gyms of Kanto were in Saffron, Celadon, Fuchsia, Cinnabar and, of course, Viridian City, but it wouldn’t be easy to get to any of them. There was a good chance the Gym Leader of Viridian City still wouldn’t be there and that the way into Saffron would still be blocked and you had to go through Saffron to reach Celadon. Cinnabar was across the sea, so that wasn’t an option right now, which just left Fuchsia, Blue could head down Silence Bridge and eventually make it to Fuchsia, so that was the way he headed. Unfortunately, when Blue reached Silence Bridge, there was a huge, slumbering Pokémon on it – this was the last thing Blue needed. Blue pounded the Pokémon with his fists and even ordered some of his Pokémon to attack it, but to no avail, it did not wake up, Blue wasn’t going to get to Fuchsia any time soon, Blue cried out in frustration and then he heard someone approach behind him.

“What’s the matter, buddy?” came the familiar voice of Maxwell, the sailor from the S.S. Anne.
    “I’m taking the Gym challenge, but it’s impossible to get around this damn region!” yelled Blue, “It’s like the Gym Leaders have conspired against me because they know they’re gonna lose to me!”
    “You’re taking the Gym challenge?” questioned Maxwell, “You said you didn’t have a job! But you do! You’re a Gym challenger!”
    “Fine, what difference does it make?” demanded Blue.
    “It doesn’t, I suppose,” answered Maxwell, “Well, I wanted to see you again anyway. I quit my job as a sailor!”
    “What?” questioned Blue in disbelief, despite having known Maxwell for a very short time indeed, “Why?”
    “To live the dream!” answered Maxwell, “I’m going to travel Kanto with my Pokémon, just like you, I might even go to Johto or somewhere further away!”
    “So why was it you wanted to see me again?” checked Blue.
    “I wanted to ask you something,” explained Maxwell cautiously.
    “Go ahead,” answered Blue, beginning to become impatient with the sailor’s time wasting.
    “Do you have a rival?” asked Maxwell.
    “Well…” started Blue, he was going to tell the man the truth, that he did indeed have a rival, but having two rivals wouldn’t go amiss, especially if Oak had indeed entrusted this man with his last Pokémon, he would be a worthy rival to have if this was indeed the case, “Nothing official.”

Clearly, this was the answer Maxwell wanted to hear as a massive grin broke out across his face as soon as Blue heard this. Maxwell grabbed a Poké Ball from his belt and nodded to Blue. Blue sent out Kadabra and Maxwell sent out Machop. Predictably, Kadabra was able to defeat Machop in a matter of seconds, Maxwell then sent out Wartortle. Blue pitied Maxwell, but did not show him any mercy, Wartortle was defeated with just two Shock Wave attacks.

Blue expected this to dishearten Maxwell, just like he was disheartened every time he lost to Red, but instead the man’s grin got even bigger.

“I’m making you my rival!” exclaimed Maxwell.
    “Fair enough,” answered Blue, “But if you want to be my rival, you sure as hell had better shape up.”
    “Yes sir!” responded Maxwell, “And as a prize for beating me, I have something for you! Something that should help you a lot since you’re a Gym challenger!”

Blue looked to Maxwell with cautious optimism, Maxwell rummaged around his person and eventually produced a blue disc.

“What’s that?” asked Blue hopefully, “Is it a TM?”
    “No,” answered Maxwell, “It’s much more useful than that.”
    “More useful than a TM?” questioned Blue doubtfully.
    “That’s right!” confirmed Maxwell, “It’s called HM03! An HM is like a TM, but you can use it as many times as you want and it’s useful outside of battle! This one’s called ‘Surf’, if you have a Water type, you can teach it to them and then you can ride them on water! My Wartortle already knows it, so I don’t need it.”
    “Wow!” exclaimed Blue, “Thanks!”
    “Also, I have some advice for you,” continued Maxwell, “Even though you could now just Surf around that Snorlax and get to Fuchsia, I wouldn’t head there straight away.”
    “Why not?” asked Blue.
    “Koga, the Gym Leader, is seriously tough, he’s supposed to be a candidate for becoming a member of the Elite Four. Apparently, as soon as Agatha finally kicks it, he’s in,” explained Maxwell, “I’d save him for last if I were you. If you Surf up to Lavender instead, you can take the Underground Path under Saffron into Celadon and get a Badge there.”
    “Alright,” answered Blue, “I’ll do that, thanks for the advice. Where are you headed?”
    “I need to go into Celadon too,” explained Maxwell, “But don’t worry, I’ll go ahead. We’re rivals not lovers, we don’t need to hang around with each other, right?”
    Blue instantly liked this guy a hell of a lot more than he liked Camper Jeff, “Sounds good, I’ve got to find a Pokémon to teach Surf to first.”
    “You don’t have one?” checked Maxwell, “Well, I can see you’ve got an Old Rod hanging out of your bag, you could use that to catch a Magikarp and then train it into a Gyarados, which could learn Surf.”
    “What?!” exclaimed Blue, “Magikarp evolves into Gyarados?! No way!”
    “It certainly does, my friend,” answered Maxwell with a smile, “Anyway, maybe I’ll see you in Celadon, nice meeting you again.”

And with that, Maxwell vaulted over the fence between the water and the land, jumped on to his Wartortle’s back and swam around the inconveniently placed Snorlax. Blue didn’t spare a single second in running to the Pokémon Center where he could withdraw his Magikarp, Gyarados was one of his favourite Pokémon – it was nothing short of incredible, he couldn’t believe he nearly let Magikarp rot in the PC Box without realising its true potential! Blue withdrew Magikarp and ran back to Route 11, where he battled every Trainer available and every wild Pokémon he could find. Training Magikarp was not easy by any means, the fact that it could only use Splash meant that Blue had to start the battle off by sending out Magikarp then switch to a Pokémon that could actually deal any amount of damage. After spending an unreal amount of time on that Route, doing nothing but training Magikarp, Magikarp finally evolved – Blue was now the proud owner of a Gyarados.

Blue's Team: Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Raticate, Kadabra, Gyarados
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout
    Blue's Pokédex: 16 Caught, 50 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 3
    Last edited by Gama; 27th March 2010 at 01:27 PM.

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

The ending was a bit fast, but w/e.

Blog Entries

Hmm... So instead of just missing the Snorlax, Blue gets Surf.

Huh.

As for Koga, that was a serious laugh. Great part there.

But this still doesn't explain the Exeggcute...

Hmm... Is Blue going to BACK to Lavender Town after Celadon...

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    He'll probably get a bike in Celadon for some reason and scoot down to Fuchsia...
    OR
    He'll get fly in Celadon,fly to Cerulean,get a bike,get some water off...ummm...MISTY and cure the Saffron guards thirst, and then take the gym.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Hmm... So instead of just missing the Snorlax, Blue gets Surf.

Huh.

As for Koga, that was a serious laugh. Great part there.

But this still doesn't explain the Exeggcute...

It'll all make sense eventually, don't you worry about that, I haven't just lost my marbles and thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Tyranitar View Post
    He'll probably get a bike in Celadon for some reason and scoot down to Fuchsia...
    OR
    He'll get fly in Celadon,fly to Cerulean,get a bike,get some water off...ummm...MISTY and cure the Saffron guards thirst, and then take the gym.
    Good guessing, but a fundamental flaw is that it is RED who cures the guards of their thirst, didn't forget that, did you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastlys Mama View Post

Good guessing, but a fundamental flaw is that it is RED who cures the guards of their thirst, didn't forget that, did you?
    Oh, that is going to piss off Blue so much.

Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast