Rival's Story - Page 3

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rival's Story

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival's Story

Nice. You did good with explaining the battle, though, you sorta switched Pokemon.

I thought it was a Weedle.
    ‘This isn’t a Rattata,’ pondered Blue, ‘But I’m going to catch in anyway! If I’m gonna complete the Pokédex, I can’t afford to not catch things! If it sucks I can just put it in the PC Box anyway.’

Blue took a closer look at the creature, it appeared to a Bug type, it had a horn on its head and its body was hairy and segmented, Blue recognised this as a Weedle, if memory served it wasn’t brilliant, but it evolved early and a Beedrill would be pretty effective against low levelled opponents – the ones he’d be expecting to face during this part of his journey.

“Pidgey! Use Sand Attack!” shouted Blue, this tactic had failed him earlier, but that was against a trainer, someone who knew how to use moves tactically, a wild Pokémon was unlikely to pose as much of a challenge. Not only that, but if he made this thing faint he wouldn’t be able to catch it, it was impossible to find Pokémon in long grass once they’d fainted. The wild Rattata winced at the sand in its eyes, and proceeded to turn to use Tail Whip.

“Pidgey! Gust!” yelled Blue as soon as Rattata-
    And then on, it was a Ratatta.

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was laughing out loud when I saw the part about the Gym Leader debate XD.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Meme-er View Post
    Nice. You did good with explaining the battle, though, you sorta switched Pokemon.

I thought it was a Weedle.

And then on, it was a Ratatta.
    Crap. I got myself all confused. I wrote that chapter in two parts, but he was meant to catch a Rattata in the end anyway, I think I may have intended to have him fail catching the Weedle or something...

I'll post another chapter either today or tomorrow hopefully.

Blog Entries

no worries, mate. Your story is good, so just shake it off and come out with the next chapter. I'll be reading.

:)

Blog Entries

As you will see in this chapter, battles with people who are not Red or a Gym Leader (or in any other way significant) are skimmed over a lot more, purely because if they weren’t, this would be a ridiculously slow moving fan fic, rather than just a fairly slow moving one. This is kind of a filler chapter anyway, so I'm sorry if it's a little disappointing...

Oh, and let’s be mature about the innuendo in this chapter, I swear it was unintentional…

Chapter 9

With his team now consisting of three Pokémon, Blue decides to head on to Pewter City, home of the next Gym Leader – hopefully one who actually bothers to take gym battles. Blue went back through Viridian City, stopping briefly at the Pokémon Center to heal up and then again at the Gym to check if this ‘Giovanni’ guy had turned up yet, which he hadn’t, and then headed on to Viridian Forest.

Blue entered Viridian Forest and he could hear the presence of Pokémon immediately, he vowed that in the interests of beating Red, both in battle and Pokédex completion, whilst in this forest he would throw Poké Balls at everything that moved. He had heard that Bug Pokémon were very common in Viridian Forest and pretty weak – meaning they’d be caught fairly easily, hopefully a lot easier than Rattata…

Suddenly, Blue heard a rustling just ahead of him, he instinctively grabbed a Poké Ball from his bag and readied it to be thrown when he saw the culprit, only to be approached by a Bug Catcher. The Bug Catcher began lecturing Blue on how great Bug Pokémon were, but Blue wasn’t interested. The Bug Catcher challenged Blue to a battle, which obviously, he accepted. Blue considered training his Rattata, as it was the newest member of the team, but instead decided to go for a quick victory and used Charmander, who conveniently learnt Ember and took down the Bug Catcher’s entire team with extreme ease. After being made to admit that he was wrong and apologise for his ridiculous claims about Bugs being the best Pokémon type, the Bug Catcher shuffled back into the bushes with shame.

Blue continued to walk through Viridian Forest when he encountered his first Pokémon, and for the first time in his training career, it didn’t pounce out at him, but rather, he accidentally kicked it, causing it to face him in fury. Blue expected some kind of assault from the look in its eyes, but the green cocoon just continued to look at him with fury in its eyes. Blue casually sent out Rattata and ordered it to use Tackle, however, upon doing so Rattata bounced back, unable to stand. Then Blue realised that the Pokémon was using Harden – his grandfather had told him about cocoon Pokémon that used Harden – this must be a Metapod!

Blue was determined to catch a Pokémon that was able to continually raise its Defense with no apparent cost, this was surely a useful trait. Blue switched to Pidgey, and had it hit the Bug with a Gust attack, and, as expected, Metapod continued to Harden. After Pidgey hit it with two or three Gusts, Blue decided the time was right to throw a Poké Ball, he reached into his bag and chucked the Poké Ball, only for it to shatter into a million pieces upon hitting the Metapod – Blue had let this thing get way too hard! Blue switched to his starter and had it use its newest move, although he was a bit wary of it, Charmander’s Ember appeared to have Metapod on its last legs, and still it didn’t fight back – it just continued to Harden. Blue called Charmander off and used a Poké Ball – this time it had no trouble taking Metapod in.

Clearly, Metapod’s inability to move proved useful in capturing it as the Poké Ball barely moved at all before it stopped indicating Metapod’s capture. Blue didn’t stop to celebrate, he just moved on.

After a small amount of time, another Pokémon emerged from the grass, in a second’s glance, Blue recognised this as Weedle… He wasn’t sure whether it was this or Caterpie that evolved into Metapod, either way, having captured a Metapod wouldn’t give him the Pokédex page for its pre-evolution, so he still needed to capture it. Blue thought this was probably a good opportunity to test out the latest addition to his team.

“Come on out, Metapod!” he shouted, “Let’s see what you can do!”

After checking, Blue discovered that Metapod’s only attack was Harden – it was impossible to win with this Pokémon!

“Damn you!” yelled Blue at this useless Pokémon.

Metapod hardened itself in fear, as both Weedle and Blue rushed over to attack it. Blue picked the thing up and threw it at the wild Weedle, which dodged out of the way.

“Argh!” cried Blue in frustration and, eager to end the battle just threw a Poké Ball at Weedle – and some how, it was caught in the first one.

‘Wow,’ thought Blue to himself, ‘This Weedle must be really weak, it’s probably even worse than Metapod!’

Blue decided this time to check his Pokémon’s moves before getting into a battle… Poison Sting and String Shot. Poison Sting was actually a pretty good move, not only did it deal damage, but it also had a chance of poisoning the opponent, making them take damage every time they moved… This thing wasn’t bad after all!

Blue continued through the Forest, mainly training his Weedle, he came up against a few other wild Pokémon, which he opted not to catch, and a few other Trainers, but none of particular note. However, against one Bug Catcher, Blue’s Weedle began to evolve…

Blue couldn’t wait to see what Weedle evolved into, he was sure Oak had told him at some point, but it just slipped his mind. He dearly hoped he wasn’t about to get another Metapod, this Pokémon was actually usable. Weedle disappeared in a huge, white light and what emerged was a Pokémon that Blue instantly recognised – as a child he’d been told to stay away from them in case they spontaneously evolve and become the deadly Beedrill – it was a Kakuna!

Blue was about to curse the fact that he had obtained another cocoon Pokémon, when he noticed a stinger protruding from the end of Kakuna’s body, and sure enough, unlike the wild Kakuna he had seen, Blue’s Kakuna was capable of the Poison Sting attack!

Blue's Team: Charmander, Pidgey, Rattata, Metapod, Kakuna
    Blue's Pokedex: 6 Caught, 8 Seen

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haha, nice "attack" from Metapod- Wild Metapod used Angry Throw!"- and how Kakuna could use attacks its wild counterparts couldn't. The skipped battle was a small flaw, but Bug Catchers always go down in flames- see what I did there?- so no harm done.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSoul View Post
    how Kakuna could use attacks its wild counterparts couldn't. The skipped battle was a small flaw, but Bug Catchers always go down in flames- see what I did there?- so no harm done.
    In the games, if you catch a wild Kakuna (or Metapod, Silcoon or Cascoon) they will have one move - Harden. However, if you catch a Weedle, Caterpie or Wurmple, they will have 2-3 moves (Tackle and/or Poison Sting plus String Shot). Blue's Kakuna's ability to use Poison Sting (and, though I didn't directly say it, String Shot) is a reference to that.

As I said before, if I included every battle with every minor trainer, this fic would go nowhere, we'd still be in Viridian Forest three chapters later. Plus I don't find one sided battles particularly interesting and any realistic battle between a Bug Catcher and Blue would just be total and utter domination.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

nice job. I'm liking where this is going. Blue is turning out to be a pretty good trainer.

Meanwhile, we have Red who is knocking on the gym door trying to get in (I did that)

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    nice job. I'm liking where this is going. Blue is turning out to be a pretty good trainer.

Meanwhile, we have Red who is knocking on the gym door trying to get in (I did that)
    We've all been there, my friend, I remember spending so long trying to get into that Gym, I was convinced that I'd be able to get in for some reason. =P

Anyway, here's the next chapter:

Chapter 10

With his new Bug Pokémon in tow, Blue proudly left Viridian Forest, and not a moment too soon – he hated in there, and did not intend to catch any more useless Bugs. When he arrived in the Pewter City, Blue’s first port of call was the Pokémon Center, where he not only healed his Pokémon, but stuck Metapod in the PC to rot – it was time to battle a Gym Leader, and he didn’t want things like that wasting Poké Balls.

Blue walked right up to the door of Pewter City Gym, when, much like in Viridian, he was stopped by someone.
    “Let me guess,” asked Blue, tired of this old routine, “The Gym Leader’s out?”
    The man who stopped Blue looked at him in confusion, “No,” he replied, “He’s in… I’m supposed to be getting people to go and challenge him… I assume you’re a successful client on my part then?”
    Blue wasn’t the type to congratulate people for stupidity, so instead of humouring this poor dope, he decided not to hold back, “Obviously I was gonna be a success!” he yelled at the sap, “I was heading in to the Gym anyway! If you want to get people to challenge the Gym Leader just go stand by the exit to the City and stop them from leaving before they take him on!”
    The man paused thoughtfully for a moment, “You raise a very good point,” he said after a few moments of silence and walked away, presumably to guard the exit of Pewter City.

Blue sighed with annoyance and walked into the Gym, it was time to win his first Gym Badge… or so he thought. A few steps into the Gym, Blue was stopped by another annoyance, this one in the form of a young kid in what appeared to be a scout’s uniform, a hat, a t-shirt and shorts, all completely green complete with a red scarf.
    “Who are you?” asked Blue.
    “I’m Camper Liam!” responded the kid immediately.
    ‘What kind of loser identifies themselves with a title?’ thought Blue to himself, ‘It’s alright if you’re the Champion, or a Gym Leader, or something cool like that – but a camper? Come on…’
    “What are you doing here?” questioned Blue, choosing not to volunteer his identity.
    “I’m a Gym Trainer!” answered Camper Liam enthusiastically.
    “Right…” replied Blue, “And what’s that?”
    “Well,” explained Camper Liam, “Most Gyms have them… A few don’t, but I think every Gym in Kanto does… Anyway, a Gym Trainer is someone who trains at the Gym and battles challengers when they come in before they battle the Gym Leader – oh, but you’re not allowed to battle someone who’s already beaten the Gym Leader… I don’t know why…”
    “Right,” answered Blue, “So you’re saying if I want to battle the Gym Leader, I have to battle you first?”
    “You want to battle the Gym Leader?” exclaimed Camper Liam, in apparent disbelief, “You’ll have to fight me first! You’re light years away from battling the Gym Leader!”

Blue smirked and sent out Kakuna, while it was usable in its cocooned form, it wasn’t particularly useful, the sooner it evolved into a Beedrill, the better, and Blue had a feeling that wouldn’t be too long now, he had beaten a couple of Pokémon with it, since its evolution, on his way out of Viridian Forest and Bug Pokémon generally didn’t take very long to evolve, in fact, if Blue remembered correctly, the Weedle line and the Caterpie line were the two Pokémon who evolved at the lowest level in Kanto.

Camper Liam sent out his only Pokémon in response – a Sandshrew.

“Poison Sting!” shouted Blue, eager to get this battle out of the way as soon as possible.
    Kakuna did exactly as its Trainer commanded and hit Liam’s Sandshrew with a Poison Sting before it even started moving and, as luck would have it, poisoned it!
    “Poison?” cried Camper Liam in frustration, “Well two can play at that game! Sandshrew! Use Poison Sting!”
    ‘What an idiot,’ thought Blue to himself, ‘Everyone knows Poison types can’t be poisoned. Not only that but they’re actually resistant to Poison, so Poison Sting does half the damage and it’s not a particularly powerful move anyway. Well, I’ll let this guy waste his time trying to poison Kakuna while his Sandshrew slowly dies of poisoning.’
    It was a long and drawn out battle from there, with both competitors using nothing but Poison Sting, and Camper Liam’s frustration growing more and more that he was nowhere near as lucky as Blue. Eventually, however, Sandshrew could hold itself up no more and Kakuna was the victor, Blue laughed triumphantly and Kakuna shone in a bright white light… It was evolving!
    Blue’s Kakuna had finally become a Beedrill!

Camper Liam broke down on his knees at the end of the battle, not only did he not stop Blue, but he pushed him one step closer to beating the Gym Leader.
    “Oh, and kid,” sneered Blue, “Light years don’t measure time, they measure distance, you might wanna keep that in mind for the next time you try to use that as an intro.”

Blue continued walking through the Gym when he suddenly heard a voice.
    “So,” came the voice, “You beat Liam… Well done, but I won’t be as easy! Let’s go! Now!”

Blue's Team: Charmander, Pidgey, Rattata, Beedrill
    Blue’s Box: Metapod
    Blue's Pokédex: 7 Caught, 10 Seen

Blog Entries

The whole "Lightyears" thing made me laugh. It always does.

So yeah, nice two chapters. Do you think later you'll continue to Silver, or anyone else?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Meme-er View Post
    The whole "Lightyears" thing made me laugh. It always does.

So yeah, nice two chapters. Do you think later you'll continue to Silver, or anyone else?
    Yeah, I find the whole "light years" crap hilarious too, that's why I knew I had to include it. My other favourite quote is "I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!" or possibly "Why aren't you wearing shorts?"

The thought of Rival's Story II (based on Silver) has crossed my mind, but if I do do that I'll wait until the english release of HGSS to see what new things they bring about Silver, I'm expecting paternity confirmation. There definitely won't be a Rival's Story III though... I suppose I could do it about Wally actually, but he doesn't really meet Ruby enough times for it to be particularly interesting. Also if I've done two Rival Stories I'll probably be sick of it. =P

I was considering doing a story called 'Where In The World Is Giovanni?' about what happens to him after RBY, but I'm not sure. I guess I don't really have to think about this for a while, I don't really want to be running two or three at a time, I'm busy enough with the one!

Is Golden. The Golden Tyranitar's Avatar
    Sitting in an armchair in a quiet library in Driftveil City.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gastlys Mama View Post
    I was considering doing a story called 'Where In The World Is Giovanni?' about what happens to him after RBY,!
    I always theorize that he lives in the closed bike shop in Kanto because in Gold and Silver,the lights come on at night :P,Oh and Rival story II?Good idea!

Blog Entries

Ha, that's a good theory, maybe that's why the guy had to move to Johto - Giovanni kicked him out =P

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that I'm gonna be away for about a week, but I'll update after that. (Hopefully I'll still be on the first page when I get back!) When I get back you lucky people have a two part Gym battle to look forward to!

Blog Entries

woo! gym battles are always exciting. hurry back. :)

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

So that explains that jerk who wouldn't let me leave. Hah. So much makes sense now. This is great stuff. Mind if I go through here and save your chapters? I want to be able to find them in the future.

Meanwhile, Red would be running around the Viridian Forest in a circle. Something else I did a lot of.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)