Rival's Story - Page 24

Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rival's Story

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

Default Re: Rival's Story

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I don't know why you think I speak Filipino (assuming that is Filipino), but I can assure you, I do not. Google Translate tells me it is -

'Thug of this chapter! I was used naakala Rhyhorn! Thug's buddy!'

But I'm guessing that's something of a mistranslation...
    It means "This chapter is awesome! I never thought that Rhyhorn would be used! It's awesome!"

Yes, in my homeland, that translation doesn't make sense.

Can't wait. And how exactly are you going to get the key back in the mansion for Red?
    Swampert_rox

Thanks to Emi-chan and Blazaking EX for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by swampert_rox View Post
    Can't wait. And how exactly are you going to get the key back in the mansion for Red?
    A copy?

Blog Entries

I theorize Gastly's Mama will have the key thrown down into the basement via the large hole in the lower right corner of Cinnabar Island, just managing to land on the table where Red locates it in-game...that, or Blaine's an irritating git who just puts it there when he thinks the last location was just too easy =P

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampert_rox View Post
    I know what I'm doing, have faith ;)

Also, have a read of the one shot I wrote today, link in my sig. It's not that similar to Rival's Story, so I don't know if you'll like it, but hopefully you will. Warning, it's mature.

Chapter 61

After depositing Aerodactyl and withdrawing Rhyhorn, Blue headed back to the Cinnabar Gym and put the key into the door, but as he did so, he heard a familiar voice – one that he was not too keen to hear.

“Hey Blue!” shouted the man.

It was Red’s partner in crime, ‘the brains of the operation’, as he called himself.

“How do you know my name?” snapped Blue.
    “Everyone was talking about you in Fuchsia after you beat Koga!” exclaimed the man, “How could I not?”
    “Well, what’s your name anyway?” demanded Blue.
    “You can just call me Brains, that’s what everyone else calls me!” replied Brains.

Blue’s dislike for this man increased tenfold with that answer.

“Well, anyway,” continued Brains, “It’s great that you’ve got a key to the Gym! I’ve been waiting out here for ages, I’ve been wondering how Red was gonna be able to let himself in!”

Mentioning Red alone was enough to infuriate Blue and make him hate someone, in addition to that, Blue already hated ‘Brains’ and now he was praising Blue’s actions because of how they were likely to benefit Red!

“I was worried Red wouldn’t be able to get into the Gym,” continued Brains, completely unaware of his faux pas, “But you saved the day, Blue! Now Red will be able to get into the Gym and get his Badge! You know what, you should join our team, I’ll be the brains of the operation, of course, Red can be the battler and you can just make sure the Gyms are accessible! That’s not that hard and you’ll still be able to say you contributed when Red’s the League Champ! Doesn’t that sound great to you?”

Blue went completely silent. Blue doubted he had been this furious in all of his life, he was literally ready to kill this man. Blue’s hand grasped Charizard’s Poké Ball and his knuckles went white from clasping it so tightly. Blue knew that all he had to do was bring his starter out and within seconds this man would be burnt to a cinder. Blue took a deep breath and decided against it, he had a better idea, after beating Blaine, he’d lock the Gym door, trapping Brains in the Gym and then he’d drop the key to the Gym into the ocean, so Red would be unable to get a Badge and Brains would hopefully starve to death inside the Gym.

“I’m good thanks,” replied Blue, struggling to hold himself back, “But thanks for the offer.”
    “Ah, that’s a shame!” exclaimed Brains in response, “Well, best of luck with this Gym anyway. You’re no Red, but I’m sure you’ll do just great!”

It was almost impossible for Blue to resist killing the man, but he did, there were better ways to get revenge. Blue walked forwards in the Gym and arrived in a room, in the middle of a room stood a man with a bag labelled ‘SWAG’, he looked like one of the burglars that Blue had seen harassing Maxwell, but he quickly realised it was not. There were doors out of the room but they were sealed shut.

“Yo!” yelled Blue to the burglar, “What’s the deal? How do I get through the Gym?”
    “That’s easy!” exclaimed the burglar with a stupid laugh, “You just have to answer a question at that there machine! Go over to it! But beware – if you get the question wrong, you’re gonna have to battle me!”

Frankly, the idea of battling this moron was not the least bit scary – he looked like his mother and his sister were the same person. That said, Blue still didn’t intend to get the question wrong, he approached the machine that the burglar had pointed out and it immediately started talking.

“Pokémon Quiz! Get it right and the door opens to the next room! Get it wrong and face a trainer! If you want to conserve your Pokémon for the Gym Leader...” screamed the machine before pausing for a strange amount of time, “Then get it right! Here we go! Caterpie evolves into Butterfree?”

The options ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ lit up on the touch screen.

The answer was obvious, Caterpie evolved into Metapod not Butterfree, everyone knew that – it was Metapod that evolved into Butterfree! Blue confidently hit the ‘No’ answer.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the burglar excitedly, “Now you have to battle me!”

Blue was furious – it had been a trick question! Blue angrily battled the burglar, quickly defeated him and moved on to the next room, without even making eye contact with that room’s Gym Trainer, he rushed over to the quiz machine, desperate to redeem himself.

“There are nine certified League Badges?” asked the machine in the same overexcited voice.

Blue wasn’t going to fall for the same trick twice, it was pretty obvious that this was also a trick question. It was a classic case of ‘How many months have twenty eight days?’ – the question is designed to make you answer by saying one, referring to February, the only month with exactly twenty eight days, when the answer was in fact twelve, as all months have twenty eight days, most just have a few more. Blue knew that there were eight certified League Badges in Kanto, eight in Johto, eight in Hoenn, eight in Sinnoh and there were probably dozens of other regions with Leagues that Blue had never even heard of! There were at least thirty two certified League Badges in the world – that was well over nine! Blue confidently moved his finger over the ‘Yes’ option but then stopped himself. What if they were simply referring to Kanto certified League Badges? Then there would only be eight. Blue mulled it over in his head, but then remembered that the eight Badges were also accepted as qualification for the Kanto League and confidently hit ‘Yes’.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the Gym Trainer of that room in excitement, sending out his Pokémon.

Blue dealt with this trainer as swiftly as he dealt with the first and moved on to the next room, adamant that this time he would beat the quiz machine – he was an expert on Pokémon! He had had enough of these stupid trick questions!

“Poliwag evolves three times?” asked the quiz machine of the third room.

Blue knew that no Pokémon evolves three times in its life time, twice is the maximum, but he wondered if yes were still the answer to this question. It is true that Poliwag has the opportunity to make three different evolutions over the course of its life – the first into Poliwhirl, then from Poliwhirl into Poliwrath, or, alternatively, from Poliwhirl into Politoed. It was possible that the answer was ‘Yes’, the answer should be ‘No’, but going with what the answer should be had gotten Blue nowhere so far, technical wording was clearly not the strong suit of the person who had programmed these machines so Blue figured that the answer was probably ‘Yes’ and hit the appropriate button.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the Gym Trainer of that room with excitement, forcing Blue to battle him.

Blue did not find the Gym Trainers in the least bit challenging, if anything, they were tedious, it was the principal of being called wrong that really got to Blue. Blue quickly beat the third Gym Trainer and headed into the fourth room of the Gym.

“Are thunder moves effective against Ground elemental-type Pokémon?” asked this machine.

Blue assumed that by ‘thunder’, the programmer of these machines meant ‘Electric’, in which case the answer should be ‘No’. Blue continued to think, since ‘thunder’ wasn’t a real type and they hadn’t actually said Electric, perhaps they weren’t referring to the Electric type? Perhaps this was another trick. Blue thought it over and over in his head and tried to think of what the thunder type could possibly refer if it was not referring to the Electric type. He came up with three possibilities, it could refer to the actual move ‘Thunder’, in which case the answer would be no, it could refer to the Pokémon, Zapdos, which was capable of moves that could affect the Ground type or it could refer to the Thunder Badge, the Badge given out by Surge – but that didn’t make any sense at all.

Whether the answer was ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ essentially boiled down to whether the programmer of these machines was a genius or an idiot, Blue had already narrowed it down to one of these two options. The likely answer was ‘Yes’, but statistics mean nothing for the individual, so Blue was still unsure.

“Need a hint?” tempted the Gym Trainer of that room.

Blue looked to the nerdy man with disdain.

“These machines were programmed by Blaine himself!” exclaimed the Gym Trainer excitedly.

In response to this, Blue hit ‘Yes’ – even if Blaine was a few cards short of a full deck nowadays, they wouldn’t let a complete imbecile act as a Gym Leader – he had to at least have knowledge. Apparently though, he did not.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the Gym Trainer, cackling with excitement.

Blue took out the Trainer’s Pokémon with ease, it was the principal of being told he had got the wrong answer that got to him more than anything else. Blue entered the next room.

“Pokémon of the same kind and level are not identical?” asked this machine.

The familiar options of ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ flashed up on the screen. The phrasing of this question was certainly confusing – ‘Yes’ meant they were identical and ‘No’ meant they weren’t, no, ‘Yes’ meant they’re not identical and ‘No’ meant they were. Blue was confounded, he couldn’t figure it out. Blue started to become frustrated, he was a Pokémon trainer, not a literary scholar, he couldn’t be expected to figure out puzzles like this! It was absurd! Blue calmed down and thought it over. He knew what the answer was – no, they’re not identical, that’s obvious. That phrasing was exactly what led him to the conclusion that the answer must be ‘No’! Blue confidently pressed the ‘No’ button and began walking to the next room, only to hear the familiar cry of the Gym Trainer.

“Wrong answer!”

Blue sighed and got his Pokémon out – surely there couldn’t be much more of this? After defeating the Gym Trainer of that room, Blue continued into the next room.

“TM28 contains Tombstoner?” asked the machine.

Blue didn’t know, he didn’t know much about TMs. That said, he had never come across the move Tombstoner in his battles with any trainer, so he doubted it existed. Then again, it was wholly possible that it was a move he was yet to encounter – perhaps it was Giovanni or Blaine’s signature move.

“Psst!” whispered the Gym Trainer of that room, “The answer’s ‘no’!”

Judging by the excitement with which the previous Gym Trainers had declared that Blue had gotten a wrong answer, Blue knew this had to be a lie. The Gym Trainer knew Blue was leaning that way and was on the fence and thought he could speed Blue up a bit by pulling the wool over his eyes – but that wasn’t going to fool Blue Oak! Blue hit the ‘Yes’ button with more confidence than he had had in any other question.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the Gym Trainer.
    “But-” stammered Blue in shock.
    “I even told you the right answer!” mocked the Gym Trainer, “How stupid are you?”

Blue sent out his Pokémon and made sure this Gym Trainer suffered. He then moved on to the next room, which was entirely filled with smoke, preventing Blue from seeing a thing.

“Oh, I do say,” yelled the machine from this room, although Blue could not see it, “A Trainer! Well if it isn’t a Trainer! It’s certainly been a while!”
    “I can’t see!” protested Blue, “How can I answer the question?”

The machine laughed.

“There is no question, lad!” exclaimed the machine, “I’m the Gym Leader! Magmar, get rid of the smoke, would you? Please, enter, challenger!”

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggcute, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhyhorn
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
    Blue's Pokédex: 23 Caught, 85 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 6
    Last edited by Gama; 28th April 2010 at 07:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Amusing chapter, good job.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

So now Blain is the wizard of Oz?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Wowww..nice chapter.
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

“Psst!” whispered the Gym Trainer of that room, “The answer’s ‘no’!”

Judging by the excitement with which the previous Gym Trainers had declared that Blue had gotten a wrong answer, Blue knew this had to be a lie. The Gym Trainer knew Blue was leaning that way and was on the fence and thought he could speed Blue up a bit by pulling the wool over his eyes – but that wasn’t going to fool Blue Oak! Blue hit the ‘Yes’ button with more confidence than he had had in any other question.

“Wrong answer!” yelled the Gym Trainer.
    “But-” stammered Blue in shock.
    “I even told you the right answer!” mocked the Gym Trainer, “How stupid are you?”
    LOL.

so i herd u liek treakos? Kimori-Hinoarashi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“You can just call me Brains, that’s what everyone else calls me!” replied Brains.

Blue’s dislike for this man increased tenfold with that answer.
    ^ The best line in this chapter.
    Read my Fanfic! Chapter 30 posted! A Legendary Journey is now on indefinite hiatus, but I am starting a new fic in Unova called eNsnared.

Thanks to cledispop for my Avatar!

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter.

Also, I won't bug you about this any more, but please try and read my new one shot if you haven't already, it's called 'Roots', there's a link in my sig. The start is a bit dull, but it does pick up.

Anyway, here's the next chapter, it's a little bit... experimental, so be sure to let me know what you think because I'm not 100% on how I'm going to continue this battle, there are two roads I could go down, not sure which one I'm going to take atm.

Chapter 62

As Blue entered Blaine’s chamber, Koga’s words returned to his head – a few cards short of a full deck seemed, if anything, an understatement. As Blue entered he saw a fairly old man with a completely bald head, a comically oversized white moustache, blacked out sunglasses and a lab coat, seated at a table, laughing to himself while stroking a Magmar.

“Hello there!” shouted the man as Blue entered, “I’m Blaine!”
    “I’m Blue,” muttered Blue nervously.
    “It’s a fine day, isn’t it, Blue?” demanded Blaine, still stroking his Magmar.
    “Y- yes,” answered Blue, “Doesn’t that Magmar’s head hurt your hands?”

Blue looked to the Magmar, it looked so serene and wise standing by its master. If Blue didn’t know better, he would have thought that it was Magmar that owned Blaine and not the other way around.

“Oh, Magmar would never hurt me!” protested Blaine, “Or anyone who I trust! And as it happens, I trust you, you seem very trustworthy, why don’t you come and stroke Magmar yourself – it’s very soothing, you know!”

Blue agreed and began to step towards the Magmar with his hands outstretched, Blaine removed his hand, to allow Blue space, but as he did so, Blue caught a glimpse of the man’s hand – incredibly severe burn marks covered his palm.

“Actually,” said Blue uneasily, “I’d rather not, I, um, don’t like touching Pokémon.”
    “Oh!” exclaimed Blaine, “Suit yourself!”

Blaine proceeded to return his hand to Magmar’s head and as he did so Blue heard a sizzling sound, he suspected it was a long time since Blaine had been able to feel that hand.

“Do you want to battle?” asked Blaine, “That’s what you’re here for, right? You’re not one of them, are you?”

Blue did not even ask who ‘they’ were, he expected they were figments of this insane man’s imagination and couldn’t be bothered to humour him.

“No,” answered Blue, “I’m a challenger.”
    “Alright then!” exclaimed Blaine, “Send out your Pokémon!”

Blue did as he was told and sent out Gyarados, he wanted to finish this as quickly as possible. Blaine’s left hand, the one not stroking Magmar, went straight into his lab coat pocket and produced four Poké Balls.

“Aha!” exclaimed Blaine, “Oh, um, I see I, but who to use?”

Blue stood impatiently as he waited for the Gym Leader to select his first Pokémon. Blaine removed his right hand from Magmar’s head and placed it on one of the Poké Balls, presumably making his choice.

“Ah, yes,” muttered Blaine, seemingly to himself, “Rapidash, very fast – fast, fast, has a horn, you know, yes, a horn.”

Magmar looked to Blaine and shook its head, grabbing a different Poké Ball instead.

“Oh, yes,” conceded Blaine, “I suppose you’re right, Magmar, Ponyta it is, best for last and all that, yes, that’ll do.”

Blue was extremely unsettled by this man talking to his Pokémon and began to feel as if his guess that Blaine might belong to Magmar might not have been too far off the mark. Still, that would surely just make Blaine easier to defeat – Blue could not fathom why Koga said Blaine was one of the most powerful Trainers in Kanto.

“Surf!” ordered Blue.

Blaine did nothing. Magmar screeched. Ponyta began moving at an astonishing speed – it appeared to have used Agility and dodged the attack. Blue was amazed by the fact that Ponyta appeared to be taking orders from another Pokémon and was so in awe of this that he failed to give Gyarados another instruction. Magmar screeched again and Ponyta used Agility again. Pretty soon, Ponyta was moving so fast it was virtually impossible to hit. Gyarados continued, under Blue’s instructions to use Surf, but as it was missing more, it was becoming more frustrated and as it was becoming more frustrated, it was missing more, it was a vicious cycle.

Magmar roared something and Ponyta sped towards Gyarados.

“Now!” commanded Blue.

Unfortunately Gyarados was far too slow, Ponyta used Mega Kick and hit the sea serpent in the face, causing it a huge amount of damage. Blue swore he wouldn’t lose focus again. Blaine was wandering aimlessly around the room, it appeared he wasn’t paying attention to the battle at all.

“Blue,” addressed Blaine, “I’ve been meaning to ask someone something...”
    “What?” snapped Blue impatiently, then turning to Gyarados and continuing, “Don’t give up! Surf again!”
    “Surf again,” muttered Blaine, “Yes, I would like to surf again, what a splendid idea. Oh, where’s all the water? I thought there was water here, I guess not.”

Gyarados continued to miss and Ponyta hit it with another Mega Kick. It could surely only take one more.

“Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?” postulated Blaine.

Blue didn’t even dignify this with a response. Magmar screeched and Ponyta landed a final Mega Kick, taking out Gyarados. Blaine wandered over to the wall and began climbing it. Blue tried to ignore the strange man and reached for his next Pokémon – Rhyhorn.

“Rock Blast!” ordered Blue.

Rock Blast was Blue’s favourite Rock type move, it was potentially the most powerful one too, if luck was on your side anyway. It hit two to five times, twice and it was about the power of a Rock Tomb attack, three times was like Rock Slide, four times was like Stone Edge and five times was like nothing Blue had ever heard of before. Rhyhorn fired three huge rocks at Blaine’s Ponyta, but all of them missed. Ponyta landed a Mega Kick on Rhyhorn, it didn’t do nearly as much damage as it did to Gyarados, but it was still pretty highly damaging. He’d have to try a different approach.

Blaine climbed all the way up the wall and reached the roof.

“There are people up there, you know, person at least, I know this, I can hear them or him or her or it,” announced Blaine to no one in particular, “People underneath too. People, people everywhere around my Gym, I have to lock the door, whispering always whispering, the under ones anyway.”

Blue did his best to ignore Blaine, just order another a move and pretend he isn’t there – Magmar is the Gym Leader.

“Rock Blast!” shouted Blue again.

Blue cursed Blaine, he’d allowed himself to get distracted and he’d accidentally ordered the same attack again, one that had been proven a bad idea. Rhyhorn obediently executed the attack which, predictably, missed. Blaine began looking around, apparently worried about something, then pointed at Rhyhorn.

“Rhyhorn!” announced Blaine, “There’s a Rhyhorn in the Gym! Don’t worry, Magmar, I’ll get it!”

Blaine then grabbed wildly with both arms, meaning that he had let go of the beam that he had been holding on to and consequently plummeted from the roof. The old man landed on the floor with a thud, Magmar didn’t even turn around to see if his master was alright. Blue was really worried, Blaine was no spring chicken – what if he broke his back, or died?

“Are you alright?” yelled Blue, becoming completely distracted from the battle.

Magmar was merciless – it roared some kind of battle cry and Ponyta charged up to Rhyhorn, hitting it with a flurry of kicks. Rhyhorn, lacking any commands whatsoever, just tried to move its head out of the way of the attack. Ponyta continued to attack, while Blaine remained on the floor, clearly in pain. Blue was torn, he ran over to Blaine, while trying to think of a good attack to use, but he couldn’t do both at once.

“Use Rock Blast!” shouted Blue, still running over to Blaine, “Hit it while it’s close!”

Blue arrived next to the man and bent down next to him, he wasn’t moving and Blue couldn’t tell whether his eyes were open or closed because of his blacked out glasses. Meanwhile, Rhyhorn turned and tried to hit Ponyta with another Rock Blast, only for it to move out of the way once again.

“Blaine,” urged Blue, “Please get up!”

Blaine suddenly sat upright and looked to Blue.

“Get up?” the Gym Leader questioned, “Well I don’t see why not!”

And with that Blaine sprang to his feet, apparently completely unharmed. Blue began to get extremely frustrated with this man and pushed him backwards.

“Pushing is never nice!” exclaimed Blaine in defiance, “Didn’t your mother tell you not to push? Oh, look, there’s a battle going on, I think, we should go, if Magmar loses, we’ll have to give this person a Badge!”

Blue decided to just completely ignore Blaine. It was easier said than done, but still, he had to try. Blue looked back to the battle and saw that Rhyhorn had been taking a thrashing in his absence. Blaine continued to spot nonsense, but Blue just pushed the man out of his head. Blue concentrated for a few seconds, continuing to order Rock Blast would be useless, clearly the attack was doing nothing, then suddenly, he had an idea.

“Earthquake!” bellowed Blue, that was sure to hit.
    “Earthquake?” repeated Blaine fearfully, “Not again!”

Blaine wildly clambered towards his seat and jumped on to it. Blue was confident that Rhyhorn could exercise enough control not to hurt him, but Magmar was not as confident. Magmar had a fearful look in its eyes, it tried to clamber on to Blaine’s chair, but it wasn’t fast enough. Rhyhorn used Earthquake, which shook the entire room. Blaine’s chair appeared to be reinforced by some kind of concrete as it did not shake whatsoever. The Earthquake attack was too much for Ponyta and although it had managed to avoid everything Blue had thrown at it until now, it finally succumbed and was knocked out. As if this wasn’t enough, the move also succeeded in knocking out Magmar, Blue was sure Blaine would be completely incapable of commanding his team without Magmar, the man behind the curtain – this was in the bag.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggcute, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhyhorn
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
    Blue's Pokédex: 23 Caught, 85 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 6

Blog Entries

Blaine climbed all the way up the wall and reached the roof.

“There are people up there, you know, person at least, I know this, I can hear them or him or her or it,”
    This isn't by any chance a subtle reference to the glitch where a man would appear on the roof of the Cinnabar Gym, is it?

Regardless, great chapter again. Blaine is my favourite gym leader so far :P

so i herd u liek treakos? Kimori-Hinoarashi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blaine is insane. This is a very interesting battle, and I never thought of Blaine as crazy. My guess is that Blaine will be even stronger without Magmar battling for him.
    Read my Fanfic! Chapter 30 posted! A Legendary Journey is now on indefinite hiatus, but I am starting a new fic in Unova called eNsnared.

Thanks to cledispop for my Avatar!

Blog Entries

i have a guess!

magmar is actually a team rocket pokemon in disguise controlling blaines mind.

or...like that one episode where team rocket uses slowpoke to take over akll the pokemon in the area.
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

What the frak is going on with Blaine?

Anyways, nice chapter.

Page 24 of 60 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)