Rival's Story - Page 21

Page 21 of 60 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rival's Story

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival's Story

Thanks for the comments, folks, glad to see the reception of that chapter was largely positive, here's the next chapter, enjoy!

Chapter 51

Red and Blue had the same number of Pokémon left each and Blue knew that he hadn’t lost yet, it was still anyone’s game. Blue knew that Red still had his Pikachu, which was strong against both Charizard and Pidgeot, so he had to use his Flying types to take out as much of Red’s team as possible before Pikachu was brought out. Red also had Arcanine and either Ivysaur or Primeape remaining, Blue was guessing it was Ivysaur as he didn’t see Red abandoning his starter, although it had probably evolved. Blue knew he had to save Exeggcute for Pikachu, so that had just left him the choice between Charizard and Pidgeot to take on Arcanine. It didn’t really matter, both were strong against Ivysaur anyway, as long as the battle between Exeggcute and Pikachu went to Blue, this battle was in the bag.

Blue chose Charizard just to get the battle over with faster, he didn’t need to waste his starter on taking out Red’s Ivysaur, it would be hardly any trouble. Anyway, it’d be entertaining to show Red that he has a better Fire type.

“Flame Thrower!” ordered Red.

Blue paused for a moment, Charizard had never used Flame Thrower before. Blue had originally intended to use Charizard’s Flying typed moves to attack Arcanine, so that his opponent was fighting against a type resistance while he was not, but then it became a matter of pride. Blue could not allow Red’s Fire Type to use a move that his was incapable of, Charizard was going to use Flame Thrower now, it was as simple as that, there was no two ways about it.

“Flame Thrower back!” commanded Blue fiercely.

Red smiled. Blue wondered if he knew that Charizard had never used the move before. Whether he did or not, it was obvious that Charizard was aware that it had never used the move before, it turned its head to Blue in confusion, checking whether it had correctly understood the order. Blue simply met his starter’s gaze, to which Charizard nodded and sent a flood of fire from its mouth. Arcanine did the same and the two jets of fire met in the middle of the room with equal force, each one stopping the other from going any further forwards. The room was becoming dangerously hot and although they were too preoccupied too notice, Blue and Red were becoming uncomfortably hot themselves. The Silph employee shouted at Red and Blue to stop battling as they were destroying the room and Team Rocket still needed to be dealt with, but his request fell on deaf ears, the boys were too absorbed in the battle.

Blue knew he could have Charizard fly out of the way of the Flame Thrower and then hit Arcanine with a Wing Attack or some such attack but he was too proud, he wanted to prove that Charizard’s Flame Thrower was superior to that of Red’s Arcanine. The two Flame Thrower attacks continued to push against one another, neither appeared to be superior.

“Come on, Charizard!” encouraged Blue, “You can do it!”
    “You’ve got what it takes, Arcanine!” retorted Red, clearly only cheering his Pokémon on because Blue had.

Then an idea hit Blue. The Flame Thrower attacks themselves might be equal, but he knew that his Pokémon had an advantage.

“Take it to the sky, Charizard!” ordered Blue.

Charizard obediently began flapping its wings, very slowly so as not to upset the Flame Thrower balance. Arcanine naturally began to arc its head up to meet the new angle of Flame Thrower coming from its opponent, but Blue saw that this meant that it had to compromise on the power of its attack, allowing Charizard’s Flame Thrower to get closer to Arcanine.

“It’s working, Charizard,” shouted Blue, “Keep it up!”

Charizard clearly appreciated the congratulation from its trainer, its jubilance was obvious. Arcanine, on the other hand, could sense its trainer’s disappointment, even though Red was completely silent. As well as Arcanine’s increasing difficulty to match Charizard’s blast, it seemed that the Pokémon’s respective morales were affecting the battle. Charizard continued to fly higher into the air and Blue continued to praise it while Arcanine continued to crane its neck further back and Red continued to be disappointed in it – it wasn’t long before Arcanine was hit by Charizard’s Flame Thrower attack.

“Nice one, Charizard!” yelled Blue, sensing the effect that his encouragement had already had, “Now follow it up with a Wing Attack!”

Charizard obediently swooped down and knocked Arcanine over with a brutal clip of its wing.

“Keep at it, Charizard!” commanded Blue, “Don’t let it get to its feet!”

Charizard continued its onslaught on Arcanine with minimal resistance and it wasn’t long before Red’s hound was unconscious. Red begrudgingly retreated his Pokémon to its Poké Ball and selected his next one. Red tried to muster a smile as he sent out his next Pokémon, but he couldn’t, he was all too aware of the fact that Blue had overtaken him in terms of remaining Pokémon. Both trainers knew which Pokémon was coming next it was obvious – Red’s Pikachu.

Blue considered switching to Exeggcute so that he could preserve Charizard for taking on Red’s Ivysaur, but decided against it. If he did switch to Exeggcute, it would give Pikachu a free hit on Exeggcute, therefore decreasing Exeggcute’s chance of success, which was by no means guaranteed anyway. Exeggcute’s chances of defeating Pikachu were probably a lot higher if Blue stuck with Charizard until its defeat, Charizard could probably hit Pikachu with a Flame Thrower or two before it was finished too.

“Flame Thrower!” ordered Blue.
    “Thunderbolt!” retorted Red.

Both attacks successfully hit their respective targets, but Pikachu’s, predictably, did a considerable amount more damage. Even though Charizard had only suffered two or three hits from Arcanine, each doing minimal damage, Blue expected it would only be able to take one more from Pikachu.

“Again!” shouted Blue.

Red just nodded. The same thing happened, except this time, Charizard hit the floor and did not get up. Charizard had defeated Arcanine and had given Pikachu a fair amount of damage, it had by no means failed. Without a moment’s thought, Blue selected Exeggcute’s Poké Ball from his belt and sent it out into the battle.

“Thunderbolt!” yelled Red as soon as the small cluster of eggs emerged.
    “Leech Seed!” demanded Blue.

Blue knew that although Exeggcute was resistant to Electric, it still wasn’t as strong as Pikachu, so he had to be smart about this battle. The Thunderbolt gave Exeggcute a fair amount of damage, but Blue knew it could take a few more, particularly with the help of Leech Seed sapping Pikachu’s health. Blue ordered Exeggcute to use Hypnosis, but it was unsuccessful, while Pikachu managed to successfully land a further Thunderbolt. Exeggcute was now seriously hurt, Blue suspected it would only be able to take one more Thunderbolt, so he ordered a further Hypnosis. It was an all or nothing order really, if Hypnosis failed to take again, the battle was Red’s, but if it did take, Blue had a pretty good chance at winning. Exeggcute hopped towards Pikachu and, as the electric rodent charged up for its next attack, sent it to sleep with a well aimed and executed Hypnosis attack.

“Well done, Exeggcute!” yelled Blue, having learnt first hand the positive effects of encouraging his Pokémon, “Now use Confusion, this battle’s yours!”

Exeggcute repeatedly hit Pikachu with Confusion attacks as it continued to sleep, blissfully unaware of the onslaught on it. Blue was ecstatic, not only was Pikachu’s health steadily going down but Exeggcute’s was steadily rising owing to the Leech Seed it had opened the battle with. Blue was beginning to become confident that Exeggcute had beaten Pikachu and thus Blue had won the battle when all of a sudden, Pikachu regained consciousness and struck Exeggcute with a fierce Thunderbolt! Exeggcute was so astounded by the attack that it failed to fight back before being hit by a follow up Thunderbolt and consequently knocked out!

Blue returned Exeggcute to its Poké Ball. It took all of his strength not to sink to his knees with despair. His last remaining Pokémon was Pidgeot and there was no way it was going to beat Pikachu, Red was going to beat him with two Pokémon remaining, rather than getting closer to beating his rival, he was getting further away. Blue sent out Pidgeot anyway, the battle wasn’t over until it was over.

“Thunderbolt!” yelled Red, anticipating Pidgeot’s release.
    “Fly!” ordered Blue as soon as Pidgeot emerged from its Poké Ball, he could avoid it getting injured for now, even if now was very brief indeed.

Pidgeot rocketed into the air, narrowly avoiding the bolt of lightning that would have hit it dead on had it remained motionless. Blue knew that there wasn’t much hope of Pidgeot beating Pikachu, but he wasn’t going down without a fight – that was for sure! Red ordered another Thunderbolt, but Pikachu was not able to deliver it before Pidgeot swooped down and knocked it backwards with the offensive part of the Fly manoeuvre. Unfortunately, this did not enable Pidgeot to avoid the Thunderbolt attack and it was sent flying across the room, hitting the back wall. Blue knew what that meant, he had seen Pikachu hit it with a Thunderbolt before, Pidgeot hadn’t survived one yet. Blue hung his head in shame, knowing that he had lost the battle. As he did so, Pikachu winced in pain and then fell into unconsciousness, Blue quickly realised it was because of Exeggcute’s Leech Seed.

“I still won!” snapped Red as Pikachu fell unconscious, returning it to his Poké Ball, “I still have my Venusaur in reserve!”

Suddenly, both the boys and the Silph employee heard a cawing from behind Blue – Pidgeot was conscious! For a moment Blue thought that the Leech Seed had rescued it from unconsciousness, but then he realised that Leech Seed was not capable of that – Pidgeot must have survived! Blue was ecstatic – Pidgeot must have gotten a lot stronger after it evolved! Red grumbled and threw his last Poké Ball out into the room, releasing his Venusaur.

“Fly!” shouted Blue, eager to take advantage of Pidgeot’s type advantage.
    “Vine Whip!” retorted Red.

Blue thought this very strange, surely Venusaur had a more powerful Grass type move than Vine Whip by now? But then he saw what happened and realised exactly why Red had chosen that move. As Pidgeot sprung up into the air, Venusaur flung a vine from its back and grabbed one of Pidgeot’s legs, preventing it from flying and slamming it against the floor. Blue was gobsmacked by the brutality of the attack and stood for a moment, hopelessly cheering Pidgeot back into the air.

“Forget it, Blue,” taunted Red, “That was a KO. I’m the winner… again.”

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggcute, Alakazam, Gyarados
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout
    Blue's Pokédex: 22 Caught, 78 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 5

so i herd u liek treakos? Kimori-Hinoarashi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome! And now, adding insult to injury, Red gets a Lapras!
    Read my Fanfic! Chapter 30 posted! A Legendary Journey is now on indefinite hiatus, but I am starting a new fic in Unova called eNsnared.

Thanks to cledispop for my Avatar!

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

Poor Blue.

I expect him to go into a rage later on when Red defeats him in the championship.

Blog Entries

Ball bags, dropped to second page again...

Anyway, here's the next chapter!

Chapter 52

“Oh ho!” retorted Blue, unable to think of a better response to Red’s cutting comment, which had actually cut him quite deeply.
    “Damn right,” answered Red, with a growing smile, “There’s no way you’re ready to take on the leader of Team Rocket!”
    “So, you are ready for Boss Rocket!” exclaimed Blue in mock deference, unable to believe the audacity of his rival, knowing that Team Rocket shouldn’t be underestimated, “Well, Red!”
    “That’s why I’m here,” responded Red coldly, “I came into this building to take down Team Rocket and I’ve done a damn good job of it. What have you done? What are you doing?”
    “I’m moving on up and ahead!” insisted Blue, making a frankly rather poor attempt to justify himself, “By checking my Pokédex, I’m beginning to see what’s strong and how they evolve!”
    “Good for you,” snapped Red, it was obvious this comment had gotten to him, “So while I’m off defeating the largest criminal organisation in Kanto, you’re basically gonna be working on tinkering with your Pokédex and becoming the next Professor Oak?”

If there was one thing that Blue hated more than Red, it was Red mentioning Blue’s grandfather – he had no right to!

“I’m going to the Pokémon League to boot out the Elite Four!” announced Blue, proudly reminding Red that he was ahead in terms of their shared goal, he knew Red couldn’t have gotten the Marsh Badge yet, when Blue beat Sabrina, Red had not and after that Team Rocket were guarding the Gym, “I’ll become the world’s most powerful trainer!”
    “Is that so?” questioned Red, pretending not to care even though it was obvious that he did, “Well I guess this is where we say our good byes, best of luck with the Gyms and the Elite Four in case I don’t see you again.”
    “Red,” answered Blue, “Well good luck to you!”
    “Thanks,” muttered Red, clearly as eager as Blue to end the conversation.
    “Don’t sweat it!” responded Blue with a huge smile on his face, “Smell ya!”

As soon as he made this comment, Blue turned around and left, he couldn’t bear to talk to Red any more, he stepped back on to the teleport pad that he had came from and was transported back into the room where he had battled the Scientist, he only hoped the man had gone. Unfortunately, Blue’s hopes didn’t come to much and as he walked back out into the room he came from, he saw the Scientist seated at a table.

“Ah, Blue,” greeted the Scientist, unusually amicably, “Please take a seat.”

Blue did not want to sit with this man, but realised that he had no choice. Blue’s Pokémon were all out of energy and the Scientist’s probably weren’t – he still had the Reliever after all. Blue hoped that obedience would allow him to get out of here unharmed, so he took a seat on the opposite side of the table.

“Has my boss been defeated?” enquired the Scientist as soon as Blue was seated.
    “I wouldn’t know,” answered Blue, “I didn’t see him. My rival beat me, you must have seen him.”
    “The boy in the cap?” asked the Scientist.
    “Yes,” answered Blue.
    “Oh, so you two know each other,” deduced the Scientist, “Does he live near you in Pallet Town?”
    “Yes,” responded Blue dutifully, “He lives with his mother.”

Blue felt bad betraying Red to this clearly evil man, but he was terrified, at this point he would do anything to get out of here.

“Thank you, Blue,” answered the Scientist, “That information will be very useful.”

The two were silent for a moment.

“What are you going to do with me?” asked Blue after a moment, having finally worked up the courage to do so.
    “Do with you?” repeated the Scientist in apparent disbelief, “Why, Blue, I’m hardly in a position to do anything to you. In fact, I rather expected you to do something with me, you see, my Pokémon are rather exhausted, your friend defeated me.”
    “But don’t you have the Reliever?” questioned Blue in confusion.
    “It was only a prototype device,” explained the Scientist, “After you headed off, it stopped working for some reason, I don’t know why, I will have to make some adjustments. It doesn’t matter really anyway, I don’t think I should be needing it much any more.”

Even though Blue knew he could leave if he wished, he felt inclined to stay for just a little longer, the Scientist’s tongue seemed strangely loose and he knew he would hate himself forever if he did not take advantage of this opportunity.

“Why not?” asked Blue.
    “I think Team Rocket will not exist for much longer,” continued the Scientist, “I doubt my boss will disband it formally, it’s always useful to have an army in your pocket. Unless, of course, he needs to go off the radar, if he needs his enemies to stop looking for him for whatever reason, disbanding Team Rocket formally would be the best way to do so, but I don’t see an enemy ever being enough of a threat to force him to do that.”
    “You kind of went off on a tangent there,” responded Blue, now becoming more confident, he was still scared of the man, but he was now acutely aware that this fear was, at least in this circumstance, largely irrational, “You said Team Rocket won’t exist any more but won’t be disbanded formally, what do you mean?”
    “I mean if my boss is successful in this operation, he will disappear,” clarified the Scientist, “He won’t need Team Rocket any more, he won’t want to share the spoils out any more than he absolutely has to, so when he gets the spoils he won’t want to be affiliated with Team Rocket.”
    “The spoils?” asked Blue in utter puzzlement, “Isn’t that what he’s trying to get here? All of the gadgets and technology that Silph have developed?”
    “No!” snapped the Scientist, “The other scientists and myself can develop almost all of the technology he requires, there is just one thing we have not been able to replicate. He is here for one thing only, but I can’t tell you what, I’m afraid.”
    “Well if you know Team Rocket will be no more, then why are you still fighting for him?” asked Blue, “If you know you won’t get to share in the spoils, why are you still in Team Rocket?”
    “Because I will,” answered the Scientist with a smile, “Think about it this way, my boss wishes to dig up some buried treasure. Currently, he is attempting to obtain a shovel, but he also needs to know where the treasure is and that is where I come in. I don’t wear this lab coat for decoration, you know, I am a scientist, I was hired for my brains not for my battling power. After my boss has obtained his shovel, he will not need me to battle for him any more, he will just need me to locate the buried treasure. Team Rocket is merely a tool. I am also a tool, but I am a more necessary tool, I am a tool that will profit, just my boss, myself and a select few.”
    “So you’ll get a cut of the treasure?” checked Blue, now beginning to understand.
    “This isn’t the kind of treasure that can be divided up and shared out,” answered the Scientist, “But, yes, I will profit.”
    “What if Red beats your boss?” asked Blue, “What if he doesn’t get his shovel?”
    “Then he’ll dig up the treasure with his hands,” responded the Scientist simply, “It will be much more difficult, it will take much longer, but it will still eventually get the job done. Actually, knowing my boss, if he does not obtain the shovel then he will get someone who is good at digging to use their hands rather than use his own.”
    “Are you good at digging?” questioned Blue.
    “I think I’ve said rather enough, Blue,” answered the Scientist politely, “Don’t you?”

Blue nodded unwillingly, he was desperate to find out what happened next.

“Now get out of here,” snapped the Scientist, taking on his familiar, cruel tone, “Whatever happens my boss will be coming down this way very soon and it would be in your interest not to be here.”

Without another word, Blue got up to leave, he headed towards the door and began to walk out, but as he did so the Scientist stopped him.

“Blue,” said the Scientist, “I just want to say that I respect you. You are one of the finest trainers I have ever met and I am not ashamed to have been beaten by you. I regret any pain or inconvenience I have had to cause you in the past and I am deeply sorry if my actions cause you fret in the future.”
    “Th- thanks,” responded Blue, not sure what to make of this sudden heart to heart, “You’re pretty cool too, I guess.”
    “I’m saying this, Blue,” explained the Scientist, “Because I doubt we will ever meet again. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours, now I suggest you get out of here as soon as possible.”

Blue simply nodded and left.

Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout

so i herd u liek treakos? Kimori-Hinoarashi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So the Scientist is telling Blue TRs plans, but using metaphors. Does "shovel" mean "Master Ball" and "treasure" mean "Mewtwo/Zapdos/Moltres/Articuno/etc.?"
    Read my Fanfic! Chapter 30 posted! A Legendary Journey is now on indefinite hiatus, but I am starting a new fic in Unova called eNsnared.

Thanks to cledispop for my Avatar!

Zapmolcuno Mewtwo and the Master Ball definitely.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments, folks, hope you enjoy this next chapter.

Also, check out my new "NEXT TIME" thingy in my sig

Chapter 53

Blue felt bad that he didn’t look for Maxwell as he left, but he had to look out for number one. It didn’t matter in the end anyway, it turned out that Maxwell had fled the building long ago, totally abandoning Blue and electing to, instead, wait outside the building for him. This turned out to be a good course of action for the man anyway, they ended up meeting up and Maxwell had been safer outside.

“Blue!” exclaimed Maxwell as the boy exited the building, “I’m so sorry I didn’t wait for you, but I was so scared in there, I didn’t know what to do – those Pokémon you gave me, you got them from a Rocket, didn’t you? I was so worried that one of them would find out that I had there Pokémon and I didn’t know what they’d do to me – it’d be awful!”
    “Don’t worry about it, Maxwell,” replied Blue coolly, “We’ve met up now and we’re both fine and that’s all that really matters.”

Blue found it strange that he appeared to be more like the father figure in the relationship when he was a young boy and his partner was an adult man.

“Oh, that’s great, Blue,” continued Maxwell, “I was so worried about you, if something had happened to you, I’d never have forgiven myself!”
    “Why?” postulated Blue, “What would you have done if you had been there? Do you think if something had happened to me, you’d have been able to stop it?”
    “I guess not,” answered Maxwell morosely, he paused thoughtfully for a second and then excitedly continued, “Did you do it, Blue? Did you take down Team Rocket?”

Blue thought about lying, if Red was successful, the lie would be meaningless, Maxwell would be unlikely to ever discover the lie, but if Red was unsuccessful, Blue would be immediately outed as a liar. Not only that, but Blue found that he didn’t want to lie to Maxwell.

“No,” replied Blue, hanging his head shamefully.
    “Oh,” responded Maxwell, making a very poor attempt to hide his disappointment, “You just left?”
    “I was defeated,” explained Blue, “My Pokémon have all been knocked out.”
    “They knocked out your Pokémon and just let you go?” asked Maxwell in disbelief, clearly he had felt the same way as Blue about the ruthlessness of Team Rocket.
    “No,” answered Blue, “They didn’t knock out my Pokémon. Red did.”
    “Red?” questioned Maxwell, confused by Blue’s assumption that he would know who he was talking about, “Who’s Red?”
    “My rival,” replied Blue without thinking.

The impact that this statement had on Maxwell was obvious.

“But…” whimpered Maxwell, “I thought I was your rival?”
    “No, Maxwell,” continued Blue, “You’re my friend.”

The impact that this statement had on Maxwell was even more obvious, the man was overjoyed, in spite of trying to hide it.

“I guess I’ll have to find a new rival then, eh?” jeered Maxwell in good humour, “So tell me about this Red, then, what’s he like? Is he still inside?”
    “Red’s a jerk,” snapped Blue, “But he’ll beat Boss Rocket, I know he will.”
    “So Team Rocket’s going down?” asked Maxwell excitedly.
    “That’s right,” answered Blue, ashamed that it wasn’t him doing the taking down, “Team Rocket’s going down.”
    “Well we don’t need to hang around here any more,” stated Maxwell, “Where are you headed next?”
    “Fuchsia,” responded Blue immediately, “I’m going to head down Silence Bridge and take out this ‘Koga’ that everyone seems to be so scared of, then I’m going to Surf to Cinnabar and take out the Gym Leader there, then I’m going to go home and wait for this Giovanni guy to return to his Gym.”
    “He’s not at his Gym?” checked Maxwell, apparently as surprised as Blue that a Gym Leader wouldn’t be at their Gym.
    “No, I guess he has better things to do,” replied Blue sullenly, “Where are you headed next?”

Blue hoped that Maxwell would not elect to simply follow him around, the last thing he wanted was a companion, he always did better by himself.

“I think…” answered Maxwell with tears welling up in his eyes, “I think I’m going to go back to Pokémon Tower. Coming to get revenge on Team Rocket was a nice distraction but Machop is dead and I’d really rather make my peace with that before gallivanting off anywhere else.”
    “Alright,” said Blue, “Maybe I’ll come back to see you, or head to Vermilion, see if I can find you there again? Will you go home?”

Blue knew he wouldn’t go to Vermilion to find Maxwell, he didn’t care that much.

“Ha!” laughed Maxwell, “Vermilion? Home? Vermilion was just a port of call for me, I worked on a round the world cruise liner, isn’t a bit close minded to assume that that was my home? I’m from somewhere really far away from here, my home town is Lavaridge in Hoenn!”
    “You’re from Hoenn?” checked Blue in disbelief, “I’ve never met anyone from Hoenn before. I’ve heard there are really weird Pokémon there!”
    “Ha!” bellowed Maxwell, apparently being put in a somewhat better mood than he had been in just seconds before, “You Kanto boys all say that – but they’re not half as weird as the Pokémon round here! Anyway, I’m not gonna be heading home or heading back to Vermilion, I hope not to be in the Pokémon Tower for too long, I’ve got business of my own to deal with in Cinnabar, so I’ll be heading down to Fuchsia myself to Surf there, maybe I’ll see you there.”
    “Maybe,” answered Blue.

Blue thought it was very unlikely that he would run into Maxwell by sheer coincidence again, but it had happened twice already, so why not?

“Well I guess this is goodbye, lad!” announced Maxwell, “For now at least!”

Blue nodded.

“Oh!” yelled Maxwell in complete shock, “I nearly forgot! I need to give you Rhyhorn and Grimer back!”

Maxwell grabbed two Poké Balls from his belt and handed them to Blue, Blue took the Balls and smiled at his rival turned friend. The two walked out of Saffron together, then parted ways.

Blue wasn’t afraid of Koga, so what if he was a candidate to be a member of the Elite Four – Blue was going to beat them soon enough too, it’d make good practice!

Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Rhyhorn, Grimer
    Last edited by Gama; 27th March 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Hoenn reference~ :D

Nice chapter!

Blog Entries

Are people still reading this? Well, here's another chapter anyway.

Chapter 54

It wasn’t long before Blue was on his way, he headed back through Lavender in order to head south towards Fuchsia. Blue grabbed Gyarados’ Poké Ball, ready to Surf around the slumbering Snorlax, only to find it had disappeared… That must’ve been where Red got his one from…

Just remembering Red’s name made Blue mad, fortunately he had plenty of opportunity to vent his frustration, there were plenty of Trainers along Silence Bridge, most of them Fishers, all of them easy for Blue to defeat. It wasn’t long at all before Blue arrived in Fuchsia City. Blue had heard there were a lot of things worth visiting in Fuchsia, most notably the Safari Zone, but he was interested in only one – the Gym and its Elite Four level Gym Leader. Blue rushed to the Gym as soon as he arrived in Fuchsia and pushed the doors open.

There were a lot of Gym Trainers standing around the Gym, strangely motionless and with bizarre amounts of distance between them. It was obvious which one was Koga though, the man had an air of superiority about him, Blue could imagine him as a member of the Elite Four. There were no Gym Trainers obscuring Blue’s path to Koga, so he didn’t bother with them, why waste his energy battling them when he was about to face his toughest opponent yet? Blue dashed forwards towards Koga, only to smash, face first, into an invisible wall and fell to the ground. Blue looked up at Koga in confusion, but the man just smiled and pointed behind Blue.

“That was spectacular,” commented a man from behind Blue, “Challengers walk into that first pane of glass all the time, but no one’s ever ran full speed into it – are you alright?”
    “I’m fine!” growled Blue, picking himself up, trying to retain what little dignity he could, “Why is there an invisible wall there anyway?”
    “It’s not an invisible wall!” protested the man, “It’s a finely polished pane of glass, they’re all over the Gym, you know.”

Blue sighed, of course they were. Blue was beginning to feel more and more like Gym Leaders simply didn’t want to be challenged – why else would they install so many obstacles in their Gyms? Not only that, but it seemed that the more formidable the Gym Leader, the more difficult they are to get to! Brock had been easy to reach, there had been no complications in his Gym whatsoever, the same could be said for Misty, Erika, who Blue considered the third weakest Gym Leader he had challenged so far, had had a fairly simple Gym, but still, Blue had been forced to climb a tree to reach her, Surge had actually installed a security system in his Gym, he was very difficult to reach and Sabrina was even more so, with her teleportation maze. Blue expected that Koga’s maze of invisible glass would be even more difficult to navigate than Sabrina’s Gym, but he took solace in the fact that it was probably the most difficult Gym to navigate in Kanto. If Blue’s observation about the correlation between the difficulty of locating a Gym Leader in their Gym and the strength of said Gym Leader panned out to be accurate then the remaining two Gyms would surely be easier to navigate. There was no doubt about the fact that Koga was the strongest Gym Leader in Kanto, why else would he be asked to become a member of the Elite Four over Giovanni or the Leader of Cinnabar?

“Great,” replied Blue sarcastically, “That’s just what I wanted to hear!”

Blue grabbed a Poké Ball from his belt, he knew the deal with Gym Trainers, he didn’t need to be told again, this guy wasn’t going to let him past without a battle.

“Oh no!” protested the man, “I’m not a Gym Trainer! I don’t have any Pokémon!”
    “Then what are you doing here?” demanded Blue.
    “I’m a Gym challenger!” explained the man enthusiastically.
    “But how can you be a Gym challenger if you don’t have any Pokémon?” asked Blue, “You couldn’t even beat Brock with without any Pokémon.”
    “Oh, no!” exclaimed the man once again, “It’s not like that! I don’t actually battle the Gym Leaders, I’m the brains of the operation!”

Blue took an instant disliking to this man, he didn’t like that he considered himself a Gym challenger when he was ‘the brains of the operation’, it was insulting to real Gym challengers – like Blue!

“So what exactly do you do?” challenged Blue insultingly.
    “Well,” explained the man patiently, “I give advice on type advantages and how to get past the Gym puzzles and my partner executes the battles based on my advice!”
    “You’re pathetic!” reprimanded Blue, “You’re not a Gym challenger at all! Your partner does all the work! Your partner is the one who deserves respect – stop taking all of your partner’s credit! Who is your partner anyway?”

The man seemed completely unabashed by Blue’s onslaught.

“Well, each to their own,” retorted the man, “We have an understanding, me and my partner. It takes two of us, we both know we’re equal contributors to this Gym challenge, we’re both important to the team. If either one of us wasn’t part of the team – well, we wouldn’t be getting a single Badge! And who is my partner? Well, I doubt you know him, he’s a kid, around your age, name of Red.”

Blue could feel his face light up with fury.

“Red?” checked Blue, although he knew the answer wouldn’t be any different.
    “That’s right!” answered the man enthusiastically, “You know him?”
    “No, I’ve never met him,” lied Blue, “Tell me though, has he beaten this Gym yet?”
    “Not yet,” answered the man quickly, “I’m waiting for him here, I usually get there before him!”
    “Oh right,” gloated Blue, “I suppose it takes the best Trainers to get between Gyms as quick as I do. Why don’t you tell him I was here before him?”
    “Well,” responded the man hesitantly, “Why? I wouldn’t want to waste his time, if he doesn’t know you, it doesn’t really mean anything, does it?”

Blue let out a deep breath.

“I guess not,” answered Blue and walked away from the man, “Good luck with your Gym challenge.”

Blue continued to wander through the Gym, being careful not to walk into glass again, he battled a few Gym Trainers, but he didn’t get into the battle, he was too busy thinking about Red. There was a good side to this, Blue could attribute Red’s success in Gyms to this man, it wasn’t entirely his own doing but deep down, Blue knew this wasn’t really true – the man was useless. Blue hated his rival being brought up, but it just made him all the more determined to beat this Gym, he was not going to let Red catch up – he was going to beat Red to the Elite Four.

Last edited by Gama; 3rd April 2010 at 07:43 PM.

I'm reading.
    Swampert_rox

Thanks to Emi-chan and Blazaking EX for the banner!

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I'm reading too.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Is Golden. The Golden Tyranitar's Avatar
    Sitting in an armchair in a quiet library in Driftveil City.
    Blog Entries

Hooray!It's the famous Gym Guy!

I like this chapter. Not much excitement though.

Blog Entries

I'm reading, keep meaning to post saying how great this is, keep up the good work

Blog Entries

Cool, well in that case I guess I'll keep writing =P

Chapter 55

Blue eventually found his way through the maze of glass, defeating, with ease, many Gym Trainers, most of whom were Jugglers, it wasn’t long before he arrived in front of Koga.

“Greetings, challenger,” said Koga as Blue arrived.
    “Hey,” replied Blue, “You know why I’m here.”
    “Right,” answered Koga, “Let’s get this over with then. What’s your name?”
    “Blue,” replied Blue.
    “Send out your first Pokémon, Blue,” ordered Koga.

Blue began to think about what Pokémon he should use first, he had not even been thinking for one second when Koga produced two Poké Balls seemingly out of nowhere and threw them out, revealing two Koffing.

“Hey!” protested Blue, “You can’t use two Pokémon at once!”
    “Actually,” answered Koga, “The Gym Leader’s guidebook stipulates that the Gym Leader may, within reason, determine the rules of the battle. It is explicitly stated that a double battle is considered ‘within reason’, so actually, yes, I can use two Pokémon if that is what I wish, however, that is not what I wish.”
    “Then why have you sent two Pokémon out?” challenged Blue, “Are you just saying it’s a single battle so I have to use one and you can use two? I won’t let you do that! I’m going to use two too!”
    “I’m afraid not,” retorted Koga, “The Gym Leader’s guidebook also says that a Gym Leader, or indeed a challenger, may have as many Pokémon as they wish present at the battle, outside of their Poké Balls, just so long as they do not directly interfere with the battle.”

Koga then nodded to his two Koffing and they began floating at high speeds around the two battlers, seeping smoke as they did so. Blue looked around and it was if there was a black wall surrounding the two of them, he couldn’t even vaguely see the rest of the Gym. Blue had never even heard of the Gym Leader’s guidebook before, but he supposed Koga would know better than him, so he just took the Leader’s word for it.

Blue thought carefully about what his first Pokémon was going to be, judging by the Pokémon used by Koga’s Gym Trainers and Koga’s first two Pokémon, Blue guessed that Koga specialised in the Poison type. That made his first choice of Pokémon a no brainer – Alakazam was strong against the Poison type. As soon as Alakazam was out of its Poké Ball, Koga clicked his fingers and one of the Koffing that was circling the arena flew into Alakazam at a high speed and blew itself up, knocking Alakazam to the ground.

Blue wasn’t worried though, he was sure Alakazam would be able to survive a single Self Destruct attack, Koga had sacrificed a Pokémon and had failed to take one out himself in doing so. Blue prepared to order Alakazam to execute a Psychic attack, but before he did, the other Koffing came crashing into Alakazam and also used Self Destruct, this one knocking out Alakazam completely.

“Hey!” protested Blue, “I thought the non-active Pokémon couldn’t interfere with the battle!”
    “Yes,” answered Koga, “But when they attacked each of my Koffing were my active Pokémon. I am under no obligation to vocally announce when I select a new Pokémon to become my active Pokémon, in fact, if my Pokémon has been knocked out it is assumed that I will select a new Pokémon to become my active Pokémon. I could perhaps understand your concern if I had switched Pokémon without announcing the change and, in fact, that would not be allowed according to the Gym Leader’s guidebook. Since there was no active Pokémon on the arena when either Koffing attacked, my actions were well within the rules.”

Blue reluctantly accepted what Koga was saying.

“Anyway, send out your next Pokémon,” commanded Koga, sending out a Weezing, “I don’t have all day.”

Blue didn’t dwell too much on the loss, Koga sacrificed two Pokémon to take out just one of Blue’s – surely that could be counted as a victory for Blue? Blue reflected though that the Pokémon that had been taken out was Alakazam, Blue’s only Pokémon that was strong against Koga’s specialist type. Well, Exeggcute was also dual type Psychic, making it strong against the Poison type, but it was also dual type Grass, making it vulnerable to the Poison type, a risk that wasn’t really worth taking. That left Blue with the choice of Charizard, Gyarados and Pidgeot. Blue thought about it for a moment and recalled that a lot of Poison types are also dual type with Grass or Bug, both of which are vulnerable to Charizard and Pidgeot. Since Weezing was not dual type Grass or Bug, Blue suspected that Gyarados was best used first. Blue grabbed Gyarados’ Poké Ball from his belt, feeling extremely tense, he knew from his battles with the Scientist how dangerous a Weezing could be.

“Toxic!” ordered Koga immediately.

This was not the first time one of Blue’s Pokémon had been subject to a Toxic attack from a Weezing, this battle was reminding him quite a lot of the Scientist, he couldn’t help but wonder what on earth that man was talking about the last time he’d seen him. Blue thought for a moment about the Scientist, about Boss Rocket and why he’d never see the Scientist again.

“What are you thinking about?” snapped Koga.

When Blue looked back at the arena, Gyarados had been badly poisoned and was covered in smoke, coughing. Koga’s Weezing had used Smoke Screen while he wasn’t looking.

“If you don’t pay attention to a battle – that’s what’ll happen!” chided Koga, “If you’re not careful, your Pokémon will faint while you’re not looking!”
    “Bite!” ordered Blue, choosing to ignore Koga and focus on the battle.

Gyarados dived towards Weezing with its teeth gnashing, unfortunately, owing to the smoke in its eyes, it missed completely and crashed into the floor.

“Sludge!” ordered Koga, “Keep it down and then hit it with another Smoke Screen!”

Gyarados turned around to try and dodge the attack, but it had no idea where it was coming from and, as Weezing puked up the toxic contents of its body, Gyarados had no choice but to lay on the floor and take the attack.

“Surf!” cried Blue.

It appeared this was the right move to use, Weezing was caught completely by surprise and knocked out of the air, tumbling to the ground after being hit by the huge tidal wave.

“Well done,” congratulated Koga, “That was your first successful move, Blue.”
    “What about Bite?” questioned Blue defensively.
    “I’m disappointed,” replied Koga, “I didn’t think you would fall for a trick that simple, I suggest you take a look at the battle field.”

Blue looked and saw Gyarados taking the Smoke Screen attack that it had managed to avoid by using Surf.

“Surf again!” yelled Blue in an attempt to replicate his former success.

Unfortunately this time he was not as lucky, the attack, although encompassing a large amount of the arena, was spectacularly off target and if it wasn’t for all of the glass Koga had in his Gym, would have probably flooded the entire building. Instead it just flooded the area Blue and Koga were stood in, each of them up to their ankles in water.

“Bad luck,” commented Koga, “Your Pokémon has fainted.”
    “It has not!” objected Blue fiercely, looking at Gyarados, who was very much conscious.

For a moment Blue thought this was another distraction tactic, but it appeared not to be, Gyarados coughed up a large amount of purple sludge and fell lifelessly to the ground.

“Yes,” retorted Koga, “It has.”

Blue begrudgingly retreated Gyarados to its Poké Ball, all the water from around the Gym going with it and thought about what Pokémon he should use next. He was more certain than ever that it should not be Exeggcute, but he couldn’t decide who it should be out of Pidgeot and Charizard. In the end he decided on Pidgeot, hoping that the Pokémon could either blow away or avoid Weezing’s attacks. Blue threw Pidgeot’s Poké Ball down and the gigantic eagle like Pokémon burst out, screeching as it did so.

“Toxic,” ordered Koga.
    “Fly!” retorted Blue.

Once again, Weezing let a torrent of purple sludge burst forwards out of its mouth, but Pidgeot was able to avoid it and flew up into the air.

“Well done,” congratulated Koga, “Let’s hope you don’t mess it up this time.”
    “Oh, you wish!” retorted Blue, “I’m not gonna fall for another one of your distraction techniques!”

Blue focused on adorning the most superior smile he could muster, so that he could best irritate his opponent, but while doing so it appeared Koga had ordered another Smoke Screen attack and Pidgeot dived headlong into it. Pidgeot still managed to send Weezing flying across the arena with a powerful Fly attack, but after that it had to stop – unable to see where it opponent had moved to.

“You were saying?” goaded Koga with a smile.

Blue simply growled in response and yelled something indistinguishable to Pidgeot. Miraculously, Pidgeot understood, swooped in and, in spite of the Smoke Screen, hit Weezing with a perfectly accurate Wing Attack, knocking it into one of the glass windows of the Gym.

“Again!” yelled Blue before Koga had a chance to order his Pokémon and before Weezing had a chance to recover from the first Wing Attack anyway.

Weezing dropped from the air and landed on the ground with a thud, it had been knocked out. Koga returned his Pokémon to its Poké Ball with a frown, Blue was winning 3-2.

Page 21 of 60 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)