Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rival's Story

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rival's Story

But that's not how the focus sash wor-

Whaaa... you killed a pokemon?

Didn't see that coming.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Is it not? How does it work then?

Whaaa... you killed a pokemon?

Didn't see that coming.
    I will answer this quote with a quote.

An interesting note I discovered today. Blue ditches, or loses, Ratacate prior to the Lavender Town battle, which is in a Pokemon cemetery. Are you going to kill of Raticate or do you have a different explanation?

I think you diiiiiiiiiiiiid =P

Aaaanyway, new chapter!

Chapter 39

It wasn’t long before Blue and Maxwell reached Pokémon Tower so they could bury Machop and say their last words to him. They had considered flying there, but they both knew Pidgeotto needed a rest, they had considered cutting through Saffron but Blue didn’t want to tempt fate any more than he already had, so in the end they took the Underground Path.

“This place is nice,” whimpered Maxwell, “It’s nice that I’ll have some place to go whenever I want to visit him.”

Blue nodded respectfully in response, he couldn’t imagine how it felt to have one of your Pokémon die. He needed to get his revenge on that man, he had killed a Pokémon, his claim that he was a ‘gentleman battler’ was clearly completely false, Blue had never admired anyone less than that man. Blue didn’t want to admit it to himself, but the real reason he wanted to go after the Scientist wasn’t because he killed Machop but because he had embarrassed Blue. Blue couldn’t stand losing, he still had to get Red back for beating him, he didn’t want to have two separate people in the world who could say they were better than him. Blue was ashamed that that was what he cared more about, but it was true.

“We have to go there,” said Blue to Maxwell, “We have to avenge Machop.”
    “I know,” replied Maxwell, it sounded like he didn’t want to but Blue didn’t care.

Blue didn’t like the idea that he had ‘crossed Team Rocket four times’, well, five now, and that they knew his full name and his grandfather’s address. To be perfectly honest, he was terrified of going after them, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to rest until he did. He didn’t necessarily need to shut down Team Rocket, but he needed to teach that Scientist a lesson, that was for sure.

“We’re gonna stop Team Rocket then?” asked Maxwell, “We’re gonna beat them?”

That was the last thing Blue wanted to hear Maxwell say.

“Yes,” replied Blue, although he really didn’t want to have to agree to that, “Of course.”

After the short service, Blue was raring to go, but Maxwell simply remained seated in front of Machop’s grave.

“Could you… give me a moment please, Blue?” asked Maxwell.
    “Sure thing, buddy,” answered Blue, “I’ll wait for you outside.”

On his way out, Blue saw a couple of strange things moving around, a woman, who Blue recognised as a Chaneller, approached Blue when she saw him looking at them.

“They are wayward spirits,” explained the Chaneller, “They are very troublesome, their leader is upstairs.”
    “Are they Pokémon?” asked Blue, eager to know if he could catch one.
    “Some think so,” answered the Chaneller, “But they cannot be caught.”
    “Right…” answered Blue sulkily.

Blue turned around like a flash and threw a Poké Ball at one of the spirits behind him, but it simply sailed straight through them.

“As you can see,” commented the Chaneller, “They cannot be caught.”

Blue huffed and walked away from the woman, continuing on his way downstairs, out of the Pokémon Tower. On his way down, he saw a Pokémon that he recognised as a Cubone, he grabbed a Poké Ball to catch the creature, but as soon as it saw this threat it scurried off and was replaced by another spirit. Blue huffed and continued on his way out. As Blue walked out he saw something that gave him a chill worse than those spirits could ever hope to give him – he saw Red.

Could Red have lost a Pokémon too? Blue began to pity Red, perhaps Red had encountered another Rocket, perhaps even the same Rocket and they had mercilessly killed one of his Pokémon, just like they had done to Maxwell. Blue felt that he could put their rivalry aside for a second, that perhaps they could be friends just this once, united by tragedy. Could Blue have turned both of his rivals into friends in such a short space of time?

“Hey, Red!” greeted Blue as he walked up to his old rival.
    “What’s up, Blue?” said Red, cautiously.
    “What brings you here?” asked Blue, then he paused, seeing Red’s five Poké Balls at his belt, all carrying Pokémon that were very much alive, he began to get annoyed that he had ever taken pity on Red in the first place, “Your Pokémon don’t look dead.”
    “Sorry!” snapped Red sarcastically in response, “I didn’t realise that was a rule of coming here! Jeez, man, I’m just having a look around, you wanna kill my Pokémon or something?”
    “I can at least make them faint!” retorted Blue angrily.
    “Go ahead then, buddy,” taunted Red, grabbing a Poké Ball from his belt.
    “Let’s go, pal!” replied Blue, grabbing a Poké Ball of his own.

This time, Blue was going to win, he wasn’t going to let Red beat him again – this guy was getting a little too big for his boots.

Blue's Team: Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Kadabra, Gyarados, Exeggcute
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout
    Blue's Pokédex: 16 Caught, 72 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 5

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

short but decent.

As for the focus sash, it works only once, and it doesn't work when you use explosion.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

short but decent.

As for the focus sash, it works only once, and it doesn't work when you use explosion.
    I only used it once, didn't I?

Also, I don't know if it was an earlier generation or if it was focus band rather than focus sash but I've seen something that has a similar effect used in conjunction with Explosion before.

Now with capital letter Pseudonym's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I only used it once, didn't I?

Also, I don't know if it was an earlier generation or if it was focus band rather than focus sash but I've seen something that has a similar effect used in conjunction with Explosion before.
    Yes, that's right. In Gen 3, a Focus Band could prevent the user from fainting, even if it wasn't with 100 % HP. However, the Focus Band had a 10% chance to survive, as opposed to a 100% of the focus sash.
    The path of a pseudo-champion.

SuBuWriMo total: 3588 words.

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

Yay new chapter!

The beginning of it felt a bit bland though.

Is Golden. The Golden Tyranitar's Avatar
    Sitting in an armchair in a quiet library in Driftveil City.
    Blog Entries

Hey!Sorry I haven't given any feedback for a while,but I want you to know I am still reading and definitely enjoying it ;D

Yes it is. Go look it up. And I missed another chapter! Help!
    Swampert_rox

Thanks to Emi-chan and Blazaking EX for the banner!

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, Focus Sash/Band won't work on a Pokemon who Explodes or Self-Destructs. Otherwise, you could sweep with a little luck and a 252 speed/attack Electrode.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

Ok, guys, they were fighting a Scientist. He could've figured out a way around the Explosion Negation of Focus Sash, since Team Rocket are willing to kill and go against nature itself. They probably repeatedly messed with the Focus Sash until they got the results they wanted, and just kept it as Focus Sash because they didn't feel like renaming it. How Blue knows, however, I don't know, perhaps he missed the "Doesn't save the Pokémon when it Explodes" bit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastically Insane View Post
    No, Focus Sash/Band won't work on a Pokemon who Explodes or Self-Destructs. Otherwise, you could sweep with a little lot of luck and a 252 speed/attack Electrode.
    Well a friend of mine used that tactic on GenIII netbattle back in the day and it worked, so I don't know if it's a generation difference, a glitchy netbattle or maybe even a mod someone put on (Don't know if you can mod items on nb actually)

Thanks for your support, Instrutilus, but it's unnecessary to think about it that much. I think Ryuutakesh! reacted to the error perfectly, by all means point it out but for the love of god don't care about it, it's just a fanfiction for crying out loud. Anyway, here's the next chapter, folks.

Chapter 40

Red’s first Pokémon was a small, brown, fox-like creature. Eevee, the evolution Pokémon.

“That Pokémon’s useless unless you evolve it!” laughed Blue.
    “You won’t be saying that in a minute,” smiled Red in response.

Blue ignored this ridiculous comment and sent out Kadabra. Blue took a look at Red’s Eevee and tried to figure out what might make it more powerful than regular Eevee, but he couldn’t see anything, in fact the thing was in a state. Red’s Eevee looked beaten up and bruised, uncared for and generally unhappy, Blue thought this thing stood even less of a chance than a regular Eevee.

“Confusion!” ordered Blue.
    “Frustration!” retorted Red.

Blue didn’t recognise the move, but Eevee shot forwards like a cannon towards Kadabra, screeching bloody murder as it did so. Kadabra lifted its spoon hand, attempting to hit Eevee with a Confusion attack before it was hit itself, but it didn’t have time, it was knocked over backwards by the sheer force of the attack. It sort of reminded Blue of Charmeleon’s Rage attack.

“Wh- what was that?” stammered Blue.
    “That was a Frustration attack,” bragged Red, “It’s the opposite of the ‘Return’ attack, the more a Pokémon hates you, the powerful that attack will be… and this Eevee really hates me.”

Blue was astounded. Red had been intentionally mistreating his Pokémon just to make it more powerful? That was a whole new level of ruthlessness, Blue didn’t consider himself a sensitive trainer, but he would never do something like that, that’s for sure. It didn’t matter though, he wasn’t a Pokémon rights activist, what mattered was beating Red silly and finally recovering his lead, it was 2-2 and there was no way Blue was going to let Red get ahead.

“Confusion!” yelled Blue again, unsure of how he could counter Eevee’s Frustration attack, “Quickly!”
    “Frustration!” shouted Red simply, just as he had done the first time.

This time Kadabra was able to hit Eevee with a Confusion attack before being hit itself, but the amount of damage Kadabra gave to Eevee compared to the amount it conceded was pitiful. Blue wasn’t really sure what to do and let his own frustration get the better of him, however, just like the last time he had allowed something like this to happen – when his rage had gotten the better off him against Sabrina – it ended up benefitting him.

“Stop it using that!” cried Blue angrily, with no real clue of how Kadabra would go about stopping Eevee using an attack.

Red laughed at Blue’s frustration, sensing his rival’s knowledge of his Pokémon’s inferiority. Kadabra, on the other hand, simply nodded curtly and pointed its spoon at Eevee. Kadabra’s spoon lit up but nothing happened.

“What the hell was that?” snapped Blue, furious that Kadabra had even bothered to life its spoon.
    “Frustration!” laughed Red, seeing that it would only take one more to take out Kadabra.

Eevee did not move. It simply stood and looked at its own body in confusion.

“I said Frustration, you useless rat!” screamed Red, “I swear if you screw this up for me-”
    “Kadabra!” shouted Blue, “I’m sorry! That was brilliant! Confusion!”
    “What happened?” demanded Red as Kadabra hit Eevee with a second Confusion attack.
    “Kadabra used Disable,” explained Blue with a superior grin, “That means Eevee can’t use Frustration!”
    “Ugh!” exclaimed Red, “Eevee, use Tackle!”

Blue doubled over laughing when he saw his rival resorting to using Tackle, remembering the last time he’d seen Red use this attack – their first ever battle, when they were both rookie trainers, Blue’s first ever victory and Red’s first ever loss. Eevee obeyed Red and used Tackle, but it barely moved in doing so, it appeared to be so utterly demoralised that it wasn’t capable of effectively executing any attack other than Frustration. Blue pitied the Pokémon, but not as much as he hated Red.

“Confusion!” ordered Blue again.

Kadabra obediently carried out the attack, leaving Eevee with a minimal amount of health, it would only take one more attack after this. Well, it would have taken one more attack but after being hit by the attack, Eevee’s eyes lost focus and the Pokémon took a step forwards then collapsed, bashing its head on the floor and knocking itself out as it did so.

“Damn you, Eevee!” shouted Red in annoyance, he then took a deep breath, regained his composure and grabbed the next Poké Ball from his belt, “Ivysaur!”

Red threw down the Poké Ball in his hand, revealing his starter. Blue thought this one was in the bag, given Kadabra’s type advantage, but then recalled the last time these two Pokémon had encountered each other – Blue had thought the exact same thing then and Kadabra had ended up losing.

“Confusion!” ordered Blue.
    “Sleep Powder!” retorted Red.

Kadabra moved fast and was able to hit Ivysaur, but Ivysaur’s attack was also on target, sending Kadabra suddenly to sleep and, just like last time, Kadabra plummeted to the floor.

“Some things never change, do they Blue?” sneered Red, “Leech Seed, Ivysaur.”

Ivysaur landed a Leech Seed on Kadabra, just like the last time the two Pokémon had faced off. Blue didn’t even bother urging Kadabra to wake up, if it was going to happen, it was going to happen, if not, he had other Pokémon. Ivysaur, under Red’s command, proceeded to use Vine Whip and Kadabra showed no sign of waking up, its ability to remain asleep while being relentlessly pummelled was actually quite impressive. That is, it was impressive in a way that aggravated Blue a great deal, but it was still impressive. It wasn’t long before Kadabra was KO’d, Blue withdrew him and sent out Exeggcute, as a Grass type it was immune to Ivysaur’s Leech Seed and as a Psychic type it was strong against Ivysaur’s Poison type, it seemed like a pretty solid choice, particularly considering it was currently undefeated.

“Hypnosis!” commanded Blue, certain that if he managed to put Ivysaur to sleep before it put Exeggcute to sleep then the battle would be his, unfortunately Red did not even try to put Exeggcute to sleep.
    “Bite!” ordered Red.

Ivysaur leapt forwards and carried out a vicious Bite attack, although it hit only one of the eggs, it was obvious that all of them felt the pain. Cracks formed around the egg that was bitten and all of them lost their focus, failing to even attempt a Hypnosis attack. Ivysaur was able to carry out another two Bite attacks with no retaliation from Exeggcute whatsoever and that turned out to be enough to KO the Pokémon.

Blue was angry but he supposed he only had himself to blame, although Exeggcute had gotten lucky against Tangela and had emerged victorious where his other Pokémon had failed, it was still a low level Pokémon without much experience, it was harsh of Blue to expect a victory of it against his toughest opponent. Blue knew that his best chance of beating Red’s starter was by using his own starter, he had picked Charmeleon for that very reason after all.

“Go Charmeleon!” shouted Blue, throwing out the appropriate Poké Ball.

Upon seeing each other, Charmeleon and Ivysaur began to scream in anger, their rivalry was as strong as that of Red and Blue. Blue wasn’t worried, Charmeleon had come out on top every time the two of them had met up, there was no reason this time should be any different. A Chaneller shouted at Red and Blue to stop disturbing the peace. This too would have reminded both of them of their first battle if they had been listening to the people around them then or now but they were both completely deaf to any noise that didn’t directly concern the battle at hand, there was too much pride at stake here.

“Smoke Screen!” ordered Blue, remembering how the move had benefitted him last time the two Pokémon had met.
    “Stun Spore!” yelled Red at the same time.

These were the same moves that had been used last time Charmeleon and Ivysaur had battled, except this time Charmeleon used Smoke Screen a hell of a lot earlier. In fact, it was early enough that Ivysaur didn’t stand any chance of landing an accurate Stun Spore on Charmeleon.

“Some things change, Red,” taunted Blue with a smile, “Ember, Charmeleon.”

Red continued to order Stun Spores, but to no avail, it was not long before Ivysaur was knocked out. Red withdrew his starter and selected another Poké Ball from his belt, still struggling to see Charmeleon in all the smoke on the field. Blue strained to see what Red’s next Pokémon was and the news wasn’t brilliant, it was his Primeape, evolved from his Mankey, that knew Rock Tomb, which Charmeleon was weak against.

Blue's Team: Charmeleon, Pidgeotto, Kadabra, Gyarados, Exeggcute
    Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout
    Blue's Pokédex: 16 Caught, 74 Seen
    Blue’s Badges: 5

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yay, Red's a d****bag now. Something that apparently NOBODY (but you and me) ever thinks about; they say 'Blue sucks, so Red must be his opposite'. Did they ever think that Blue and Red were actually FREINDS before they were rivals?

But my Red was at least a hero, still. This Red is horrible.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

Haha nice story, you should make another one for the other regions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raichu99 View Post
    Haha nice story, you should make another one for the other regions
    The thought has crossed my mind and the suggestion of 'Rival's Story II' has been brought up before, but Rival's Story I is far from over, I'd estimate it's about half way at the moment, maybe a little less, so let's just say we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Blog Entries

May I ask, will Rival Story 1 have an epilogue going on into Gen 2 and Blue getting beaten by Gold, then learning later Red was defeated by him as well on Mt. Silver, where he muses that Red was beaten by Gold on Silver?

Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)