Red Returns [One Shot] - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Red Returns [One Shot]

  1. #16
    Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,153
    Blog Entries
    68

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Thanks, everyone! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! And I'm happy to see people picking parts of it away too - it's always nice to get some constructive criticism!

    Quote Originally Posted by embep View Post
    I liked it. :D Though I think I would have enjoyed the slightest bit more elaboration near the end, I really do like the way it ended.


    I disagree with this, as it serves to show the fruit of his labor. He was able to turn his Pokemon into hardened death-machines more effectively than (I can assume) anyone else ever had. For some reason, I don't really see them as having 'evolved' in the usual Pokemon take on the word, but more changed due to the harsh 30-year training they were given. But, yeah, I could be full of crap.
    Thanks for the support =)

    As for whether they are actual evolutions or not, have a read of this. I'm a firm believer in that. Basically, if it's not explicitly stated or at least heavily alluded to within the work of fiction, then it's up to the reader to decide what really happened. I didn't make it completely clear whether they actually evolved or not so it's up to each individual reader to make that decision for me. =)

    Of course, sometimes, I will just say what things are meant to show, just to make things clearer. =P

    Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    Y'know, it was weird, but I liked it. I loved how you broke tradition and still have the three-stagers evolve anyway.

    Very interesting read, man. I could definitely see the crack in there, too.
    Glad that you could see the crack and, yeah, I thought that if anyone was gonna get three stagers to the fourth stage, it was gonna be the best trainer in the world!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    Aw man. That was angsty as hell.
    Really? I didn't actually intend for it to be that angsty. I suppose Red's inability to fit in with modern society and decision to return to total isolation was pretty angsty. Yeah, on second thoughts, I can see what you mean =P

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    Very amusing. Poor Red. Perhaps Team Plasma is right about something then.
    Well, since I'm avoiding Gen V spoilers, I look forward to finding out what that something is when I play BW! (It is wholly unnecessary to tell me what that something is btw, this is not an invitation to spoil things for me as someone thought when I made the same statement prior to the release of HGSS)

  2. #17
    Now I've Seen It All! Metabee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    In ur ear m8
    Posts
    1,758
    Blog Entries
    130

    Follow Metabee on Tumblr

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Whoa, that was... interesting. That was pretty funny, and it certainly captures how difficult being a social outcast can be. This is definitely a one-shot worth reading. Well done, Gama!

  3. #18
    The First Homunculus Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Once again, Gastly's mama, you've done it. I was sucked in till the very end. great job, this was great. only thing that sort of got me a little down was that it was a little short. anyways, i like it, keep it up!

  4. #19
    ... Alex800's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    722
    Blog Entries
    101

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    I just knew the mom thing as soon as Blue said he's married! I'm about halfway or something through rival's story and it's really awesome that Blue gets his revenge on Red :P

  5. #20
    Lovin the beach Surferboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,626
    Blog Entries
    57

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    how is it i only just found this? I could tell the mother thing when they were walking together... You do not fail. Well done.
    Friend Code X is:

    3840-6649-9157

  6. #21
    Get the cool shoeshine! Glitchitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Malay....sia
    Posts
    429
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Dang it. Expand it to a story, man. THIS. IS. FUNNY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!11

  7. #22
    Have a pancake. Green Zubat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    20
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    Anyway, now if you want to be a Pokémon specialist, you have to either be something to do with contests or a researcher.”
    See, I always said contests were better ;)

    “You think being a Professor is inherited?” challenged Blue, “Don’t be so stupid! I hate it when people assume that because my grandfather was a Professor that I will be! No, Professor Ramanathan is in charge of the Pallet Town Lab now. I run the Viridian City Contest Hall.”
    Proffessor What? That's not even a plant :/ (also, what about Daisy + the anime!)


    But yeah, still a really good story overall, especially the end. I still feel my soul dying a little and it wasn't even me!



    Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

  8. #23
    Me am stalking bug Instrutilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,073
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    Proffessor What? That's not even a plant :/ (also, what about Daisy + the anime!)
    ...Yes, because clearly the animé is the dominating canon here instead of, y'know, something like the games. That would just be sheer ridiculousness.

  9. #24
    Registered User beastmode953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    I was like wtf at first when reading it because of the new evolutions but just the way things have changed over the years really made me laugh. Especially blue being married to his mom. I was rolling!!! There's no wonder you got all those awards. Ill be reading more from you. Your red stories are very entertaining and its funny cuz ill be using him on my reset fic.

  10. #25
    Have a pancake. Green Zubat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    20
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Quote Originally Posted by Instrutilus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    Proffessor What? That's not even a plant :/ (also, what about Daisy + the anime!)
    ...Yes, because clearly the animé is the dominating canon here instead of, y'know, something like the games. That would just be sheer ridiculousness.
    Oh right, I must have just forgotten the part in RBY where "Prof. Ramanathan" just shows up at the end then and takes over the lab.

    I was merely surprised at the choice to invent someone totally new for a mere passing reference, as opposed to just going with Gary or Daisy, the latter of which isn't contradictory to the games, FYI. Besides, there's no reason you can't blend the two (or three, or more, if you include the Manga and such) or take anything else over the game.

    ANYWAY, yeah, just took the time to re-read this and I was still moved by the story, even after so many months. Having Hannah Fury on in the background only added to the awesome :D



    Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

  11. #26
    Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,153
    Blog Entries
    68

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post

    Oh right, I must have just forgotten the part in RBY where "Prof. Ramanathan" just shows up at the end then and takes over the lab.

    I was merely surprised at the choice to invent someone totally new for a mere passing reference, as opposed to just going with Gary or Daisy, the latter of which isn't contradictory to the games, FYI. Besides, there's no reason you can't blend the two (or three, or more, if you include the Manga and such) or take anything else over the game.

    ANYWAY, yeah, just took the time to re-read this and I was still moved by the story, even after so many months. Having Hannah Fury on in the background only added to the awesome :D
    This is set thirty years after the games... how often is the successor to something like a lab even present on the scene thirty years before taking over? He could easily not have even been born at the time of the original games, so I see no reason why you would have seen Ramanathan in the games.

    For the record, this isn't anything to do with the anime, and I dislike it when people say "You should anime characters and/or conventions" (I got this in Roots when I made Professor Oak's first name "John" too.) The anime is just another form of fanfiction - there's no reason why I should adhere to it, particularly as it wouldn't make an incredible amount of sense in this story. (I find it difficult to reconcile Red's existence with Ash's existence, and I don't think you can really include anime characters without admitting that Ash does exist, and therefore destroying Red, and with him the entire basis for this story.)

    Your question, of course, was less to do with the anime, and more to do with why I didn't use a more "known" character. An entirely legitimate question, as I could've easily used a known character who wasn't from the anime. It was a conscious choice to use someone who had never been in the series before. The point of this story, behind the comedy, is showing that things don't work like they are often perceived to in video games, anime, manga etc., where one might see Red going and training for thirty years as something reasonable, and expect him to come back and be all awesome. The point is that in the time he's been gone, Pallet Town, and the world as a whole have changed beyond all recognition. To have someone whose name he doesn't even recognise in charge of the lab is supposed to add to that. For one of Oak's grandchildren to have taken over the lab when he died, it would have represented a sense of the expected, and change that Red can appreciate, but in the thirty years that he has been gone - nothing is as Red remembers it, or could possibly have predicted it to be.

    (Oh, and for the record, Blue's reaction to being asked if he is in charge of the lab is a direct reference to the anime! xD)

    Anyway, I'm really glad you still enjoyed this story. I re-read it myself recently, and there was a lot I'd forgotten about. Really glad to hear people are still reading and enjoying this. Thanks for your comments.
    Green Zubat likes this.

  12. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    A very amazing story. but very creepy about the strange forms and types of Red´s pokemon

  13. #28
    Registered User Elso579's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62

    Default Re: Red Returns [One Shot]

    wow, interesting to say the least. I think this is one of the best one shots i'v ever read, just because it seems entirely possible that that could happen and it showcases how muc society can change in 30 years
    I am Elso. That's all I can tell you.

    My FanFics:
    FireRed&LeafGreen Chronicles (Archived and unfinished) http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/firered-leafgreen-chronicals-129743/#post4222761

    A Legendary Spirit Book One http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f227/legendary-spirit-book-one-pg-13-a-136706/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •