POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 20 - Route One Rumble!) - Page 23

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 20 - Route One Rumble!)

Default Re: POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 11)

Your story, sir, is very good. :) I was reading it as an anonymous for some time. I've just joined the forums not long ago to thank you for your fic.
    Sadly, I'll be absent from the forums for a while, but I promise to stay as your loyal reader after my return. :D

I'm really ready for the next chapter Legacy. I even went back and reread the chappies. I want to find out who Ash is facing next and if he will be able to battle.
    I hope it's someone like Paul or Cynthia!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
    ....probably, maybe not but chances are it will.
    Now, seriously? Why would you tell people who it is and ruin the surprise. For those of us who have read ASL, we have an idea of who it is, but why would feel the need to tell people if they haven't read it already?! Even if it's under a spoiler tag, still..why?

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

It's a joke, just chill.

Blog Entries

It's a joke, just chill.
    Don't tell me to "chill." I'm fine. Not mad just legitimately curious about why you felt the need to say who Ash will battle next. That's all I want to know.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

I just wanted to test people's curiousness.

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just wanted to test people's curiousness.
    Yes, but it was un-needed and has potentially ruined the story for people.
    I agree with Blondie
    tut
    tut
    tut
    shame on your sir
    shame on you

Blog Entries

Technically I already know what's gonna happen, but I won't tell.
    ^ What happened?!

....probably, maybe not but chances are it will.
    Please, even if you remember the plot from ASL, could you please not spill the beans for people who haven't? I agree with Blondie and some colour no doubt, even though you put it in spoiler tags, what were you trying to accomplish by spoiling?

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

I don't know I just felt silly.

When the next chapter gonna come out.

Studying Greek Mythology. KronosClownz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry for taking a while but, that is superb! Change the name, head on to Createspace and order a copy!
    Mail me with new myth requests!... Credit to Fang for making this awesome banner

Eating too much chicken's bad, it gives you dandruff

Blog Entries

Here is Chapter 12: Awakening! Please leave some comments if you read! Thanks everyone for the support!!!

As she gazed into the boy's beautiful brown eyes from her chair, Misty felt a tingle of excitement and utter disbelief creep up her spine. The girl tried to speak, but no words were able to escape her lips. All she could do was stare blankly back at the amazing boy whom she had not seen in person in several years. The copper-haired teen still couldn't believe that she was actually here, finally sitting face-to-face with her best friend in the world. It was really Ash! He was awake, if not completely alert, although still looking very weak and in pain sitting up in his bed.

“Misty, are you all right?” Ash whispered in a raspy tone when she didn’t speak.

“Oh, Ash!” Misty shouted out as soon as she heard the boy's voice.

She grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently as if trying to make sure that this was indeed reality. Instantly upon doing so, however, she felt a strange object that he had apparently been clutching. A small gold coin fell from his hand into Misty's, and she was surprised to find out that the smooth metal disk actually felt warm to the touch. As she carefully examined the beautiful golden coin more closely, she gasped when she realized what this strange object must be.

“Misty...” Ash's weak voice interrupted her thoughts however.

“Yea, what is it Ash?” she replied, gently placing the coin back into Ash's hand.

“How... how did you know?” the boy murmured with his eyes still barely half-open. He opened his loose fist to reveal the golden, jewel-incrusted coin in his palm as he spoke.

Misty figured she knew what Ash was talking about, but she didn't mention anything about her unbelievable dream, the mysterious Four Guardians speaking to her, or the robbery of Ash's guestroom at the stadium Pokémon Center. She was just overjoyed to see her friend alive and well with what she supposed was the 'Sacred Gift' safely in his hand. Misty didn't reply to the boy's question.

She had no idea how the coin had made it to Ash after all this. Something about her dream had led her to believe that the 'Sacred Gift' was located in the Pokémon Center, but perhaps she had been wrong. It was just all too overwhelming to think about right now. She just smiled brightly down at him, tears beginning to form in her eyes. All that mattered right now was that he wasn't dead.

“Thank you... Misty,” Ash said with a faint smile after a few moments of silence.

It was a huge relief for girl when she saw that the familiar twinkle in Ash Ketchum's chocolate-brown eyes had returned. She took the boy's free hand with her's once again, and it was an indescribably great feeling when she felt Ash’s hand squeeze her hand in return. Her tears had begun to flow freely down her cheek at this point.

Amidst all the commotion, Pikachu awoke from his spot on the bed as well, slowly opening its beady black eyes.

“Pi?”

The furry rodent saw Misty, but looked more confused than happy. Perhaps he also thought it all to be nothing but a dream. But after a few moments, Pikachu came to and glanced up at Ash then back over towards Misty. A look of pure joy overcame the little pokémon, who instantly leaped up to his feet.

“Pikapi! Pikachupi!” Pikachu shrieked and jumped up and down excitedly on the bed. He didn’t know whether to tackle Ash in jubilation over him finally waking up or to jump up into Misty’s arms to greet her after all the time that had passed since he had last seen her.

Ash gave a slight chuckle that sounded more like a sleepy, dry cough. “Everything’s gonna be okay, Pikachu... Misty’s here now...”

Tears of joy and relief continued to fall from Misty’s eyes as she gazed down gratefully at him. Ash smiled weakly back up at Misty, still looking like he was on the verge of falling back asleep. Finally, his eyes began to slowly disappear underneath their drooping lids, but the look in them seemed to comfort her and tell her that everything was going to be all right. Misty didn’t dare wake Ash back up, but she smiled again as she caressed his forehead gently, brushing aside some of his soft black locks of slightly sweat-dampened hair. She bent down and gently kissed the boy on the cheek. Then she turned and ran excitedly out of the room in inform Nurse Joy with Pikachu scampering close behind.

A few moments later, Joy came rushing back into Ash’s room with Misty and Pikachu following close behind, all three of their faces noticeably brighter with optimism. The pink-haired nurse quickly gauged the heart monitors and checked Ash’s other vital signs. She looked over to Misty with a look of utter amazement on her face.

“It’s unbelievable! All of his vitals have steadied and are nearing normal levels! It-it’s a miracle!” Nurse Joy exclaimed, looking both ecstatic and astounded at the same time.

Joy summoned the team of doctors into Ash’s room to run more precautionary tests, and Misty, who was holding a very happy Pikachu in her arms, walked out into the waiting area to let Delia Ketchum know the wonderful news. Delia was still asleep in one of the waiting room's hard metal chairs, leaning awkwardly against the window.

Misty couldn’t stand seeing Ash’s mother suffer like this, so she wasted no time in walking right up to her, and woke her up with a soft tap on the shoulder. Pikachu jumped down from Misty's arms into Delia's lap. The woman opened her brown eyes and looked at Misty groggily just as her son had done minutes ago.

“Hi, Ms. Ketchum,” Misty said to the woman quietly. Seeing Ash's kind-hearted mother caused the teen to smile.

“Misty?” Ash's mother muttered, clearly still half-asleep. She instinctively started stroking Pikachu's soft furry head.

“Yep. It's me. How are you?”

The question must have woken Delia up because she instantly sobered and shot up out of her chair with a terrified look on her face when she realized where she was. Pikachu fell to the floor, but didn't seem to care in the slightest. Ash's mother was clearly shocked to see Misty, whom she hadn't seen in years, standing over her, but was obviously too worried about her son to comment.

“What time is it?! Ash! Is he...?” the woman stammered wildly as she started off towards the front desk to find Nurse Joy.

“Ms. Ketchum! Wait!,” Misty said, placing a hand on Delia's shoulder to guide her back to her seat. “Ash is going to be fine! He's awake!”

“Pika Pika!” the pokémon agreed joyously with a few triumphant sparks from his cheeks.

Delia went silent instantly and stared suspiciously back at the girl as if she thought she hadn't heard her correctly.

“What?!” the woman asked, her eyes bulging.

Misty just nodded happily and gave Ash's mother a huge bear hug. The two women embraced while the yellow mouse jumped up and down happily at their heels.

“My baby is going to be all right!!!?” Delia was bawling out of relief, clutching Misty in the tightest hug she had ever encountered, but of course the redhead didn't mind in the least. She was ecstatic.

“Oh my god, what happened!? Is Ash still alive?!!” Dawn screamed as she ran up to the crying Delia with May, Brock, Max and Johanna running behind her. A look of dread was on each of their tired faces.

Misty smiled wide when she saw Brock, May and Max. She didn't care when she saw all three of them look at her like she was crazy for smiling.

“Ash condition have dramatically improved,” Misty spoke up since Delia was still too overcome with joy to explain her crying. Everyone looked shocked at first, but once again they saw Nurse Joy make her way into the waiting area. When the group saw the young nurse running towards them with a huge smile on her face, it was clear that Misty was indeed telling the truth.

“It's a miracle! I can't believe it!” was all Nurse Joy could utter over and over.

An unmistakable look of relief overcame everyone’s face. Dawn and May hugged each other, and Delia continued to cry happily on Johanna’s shoulder, obviously extremely relieved that her son’s condition had improved so drastically. No one seemed to care about how strange or miraculous his improvement had been, and Misty was thankful for that. The important thing was that Ash was going to survive.

After the group's initial celebration, Brock walked over and gave Misty a hug and a friendly grin.

“It’s great to see you, Misty,” he said, sounding like he truly meant it. “It’s been way too long.”

“Yes, it has,” Misty replied in a very heartfelt tone, her chin resting on Brock’s shoulder. She started to cry yet again as she pulled away from her longtime friend’s embrace.

The emotional roller-coaster that she had endured over the past few weeks had been really tough on her. The crippling depression during her time alone in the gym, the feeling of warm hope she felt when she had seen Ash’s face on television the night before the tournament had started, the apprehension of approaching Ash in the Pokémon Center’s lobby following his match against Lacey, the sheer terror at the fact that he might die, and finally, the pure and unadulterated joy of feeling Ash’s hand gently squeeze her own and seeing his big, brown eyes staring up at her just minutes ago... They had all taken their toll on Misty.

“Hey, Misty!” May greeted her. “I haven’t see you in a long time! How are you?”

“Yeah, what has it been? Like four years?” Misty gave the brown-haired teenager a hug. “And to answer your question, I’m a lot better now that I know Ash is going to make it!”

“You can say that again!” Max followed behind his sister to greet Misty. “Hi, Miss Misty. Remember me?”

“How could I forget you, Max? Gosh, you look so grown-up!” Misty ruffled Max’s teal hair and smiled.

Max blushed a deep crimson and boasted, “Yeah, I’m eleven now… I’m gonna be just like Ash… I’m gonna be in this tournament some day!”

“I don’t doubt it for a minute, Max,” Misty said with a giggle. “And I’ll be waiting when you finally make it to Kanto and the Cerulean City Gym!”

Max’s eyes grew big when he remembered that Misty was a gym leader. He blushed again at his bravado, “Yeah, well… I still got a lot of training to do before I could ever beat a gym leader as good as you, Misty.”

Johanna then walked up to Misty and extended her hand, smiling as well. “Hello, Misty. My name is Johanna. You must be quite the good-luck charm, young lady! Ash’s chances didn’t look very good all day yesterday… then you show up, and he gets better, just like that!”

Misty smiled and shook Johanna’s hand politely, but didn’t know how to respond. She was about to speak when she was interrupted.

“Humph!” Dawn came sauntering up and looked Misty coldly in the eye. She had recognized her right away from all Ash had told her about Misty and from that stupid fishing lure (which was a gift from her) that he still kept with him even to this day.

“So where'd you run off to last night, Misty?” Dawn blurted out in a sour tone.

The others turned their attention to Dawn. Johanna gave her daughter a glare, but no one said anything. Misty took that to mean that everyone was indeed curious about where she had run off to late last night.

“Uh… yeah, sorry I ran off without saying anything last night, guys...” Misty said, a little unsure of what to say. “I got in late last night, and when I saw Ash... just lying there, I guess... I guess I just freaked out.”

“That's totally understandable, Misty,” Dawn's mother said reassuringly.

“Yeah, I wanted to run away too when I saw the doctors working on him with all the machines going off like that,” May admitted.

“So where have you been?” Dawn again interrupted in a demanding tone of voice, ignoring a growl from her mother. “If you’re as great a friend as Ash always makes you out to be, how come you didn’t get here till last night? How come you weren't here to watch him compete? How come you haven't even spoken to him in years?!!”

“Dawn, that’s quite enough!” Johanna shouted and grabbed her daughter by the arm.

“Pi-kah! Pi-kah!” Pikachu agreed, jumping up into Misty’s arms as if to defend her from Dawn's berating.

“Well, I just want to know why it took her all this time to bother to come see Ash in the hospital.” Dawn turned to Misty. “I saw you at the stadium and in the lobby spying on Ash after he lost to Lacey, so I know you were in town! So if you were as concerned about him as you say you are… how come it took you until last night to bother to come and see him?!”

Misty was speechless. She didn’t want to admit that she had been terrified to face Ash after all the time had passed since she had last seen him. She didn’t want to say that the reason that didn’t come see him right away was simply because she was scared. She didn’t want to go into the long history she and Ash had together and how she felt miserable day after day in her dark, lonely gym without him.

“Well?” Dawn said impatiently.

Misty was still struggling to come up with a suitable response when one of the doctors dressed in blue scrubs came out into the waiting room and interrupted the tension.

“It looks like Ash is going to make a full recovery,” he said with a smile. “I’ve never seen or heard of anyone make as quick of a recovery as this from multiple gunshot wounds so close to his heart… truly remarkable.”

“Can we go see him?” Dawn said excitedly, apparently forgetting about her interrogation of Misty.

“Yes, you may,” the doctor replied. “But please be quiet. Ash is resting comfortably now… he needs his sleep.”

“But hasn’t he been sleeping this whole time?” Max asked.

May punched her brother in the shoulder and told him to be quiet as the entire group followed the doctor back to Ash’s room.

“Yes, he has,” the doctor chuckled a little at Max’s question as they walked. “But now that his heart and other organs have begun to function normally again, his body needs a chance to heal. Remember, Ash sustained some pretty serious injuries.”

When the group got to the room, everyone took comfort in the fact that most of the breathing, feeding and other tubes that had been protruding out of Ash’s face and body were now gone except for a small IV in his arm. Everyone noticed too, that his face didn’t look so pale and strained; the color had returned to his cheeks, and he no longer looked in pain. Instead, the boy looked very much at peace, and even had a very slight smile curved across his face as he slept.

Delia rushed over to the bedside still crying, apparently upset over her own lack of faith in her son‘s ability to recover. “Oh, Ash… I should have never doubted you!! I should have known you would pull through… you always do!! Please… please, forgive me!!”

Johanna once again served as Ms. Ketchum’s comfort. “Delia, it’s not your fault! You were just doing what you thought was best for Ash at the time… But now he’s going to be all right! We don’t have to worry about life support anymore!”

Brock walked up to Ash’s bed as well and whispered, “Way to go, Ash.”

May and Max stood next to Brock looking down thankfully at their friend. “I knew he would make it. I just knew it,” Max said in admiration of his hero.

“Oh, Ash,” May bent down close to Ash’s ear as she whispered. “You had us all so worried. I… I don’t know what I would have done if you would have…” Her voice broke before she could even finish the sentence.

“I’m going to stay with him until he wakes up.” Dawn announced as she nearly shoved May out of the way and knelt down beside Ash's bed. She was glaring at Misty in particular as she spoke.

“That might not be for a few days,” the doctor replied.

“I--Don’t--Care. I’m not leaving his side.”

No one in the room argued with Dawn. Misty didn’t respond despite the twinge of jealousy she felt when she heard the girl. This was no time to fight, she thought. Besides, Misty figured that she had been away from Ash for so long, what right did she have to interfere with his and Dawn’s obviously close friendship?

In seeing Dawn act so protective of Ash, Misty saw some of herself in the pretty blue-eyed girl. Although the Dawn had been rude to her before, she sympathized greatly with how she must be feeling. Misty knew Dawn had been traveling all around the world with Ash for a long time now, and Misty knew better than anyone how special that was.

The sixteen-year-old just smiled sincerely back at Dawn, who was still piercing her with her cold stare, and turned to leave the room and returned to the lobby without a word. It was hard to simply ignore the girl's harshness, but Misty just focused on the words Ash had said to her in that brief moment when he had awoken earlier.

“Everything’s gonna be okay, Pikachu… Misty’s here now.”

She took comfort in the fact that Ash had sounded so happy to see her, so relieved that she had returned to him. She would always remember the sparkling look of happiness in Ash’s eyes when he finally woke up and saw her, even if he forgot once he woke up. And Dawn could never take this feeling away from her.

“Misty, are you all right?” She heard a voice from behind her in the waiting room. It was Brock, who had a look of concern on his face.

“Yes, I’m actually a lot better now than I have been in a long time, Brock,” Misty replied truthfully.

“You know, Dawn really is a nice person once you get to know her,” Brock said. He apparently sensed the tension between the two girls back in Ash’s room.

“Oh, I don’t blame her at all. I probably would have acted the same way if I was in her shoes. I mean, I’ve been gone all this time, and she and Ash obviously are very close.” Misty tried to keep from sounding sad, but failed.

“They are,” Brock said quietly. “But I know Ash never forgot about you even after all this time, Misty. He still talks about you, he still brings up all the great times you and him shared together, and he still carries around that lure you gave him. I know he really misses you.”

“Thanks Brock.” Misty wiped a tear away with the back of her hand and grinned. “I’ve missed him too… I’ve missed all of you.”

“Then… where are you going?” Brock noticed Misty was advancing towards the front door as they spoke.

“Well, Dawn seems like she’s got everything taken care of,” Misty said with only a hint of sarcasm in her voice. “And now that Ash is going to be okay, I think it might be best if I get back to the hotel and pack up my stuff to go back home. It’s clear that Ash is well taken care of.”

“But Misty…”

“Dawn’s right, Brock. I haven’t acted like a very good friend to Ash lately. I mean, it was my fault that the two of us drifted apart over the years… and when I heard he was going to be in this tournament… I should have been here right away to cheer him on with the rest of you! Seriously, what kind of friend am I?”

“Misty! You can’t blame yourself! Please… Ash will want to see you when he wakes up,” Brock insisted.

“Well, I appreciate you saying that… but it’s clear that Ash has been succeeding just fine without me… It’s clear that he’s better off without me tagging along… holding him back.”

And with a forced smile, Misty turned and exited the hospital. Brock thought about running after her, but he knew Misty well, and she was not the type of person to change her mind easily once she had made it up. So Brock regretfully returned to Ash’s room to join the others.

For the next couple of days, Dawn stayed true to her promise. She didn’t leave Ash’s side for even a minute. During the daylight hours she read to him and talked to him like nothing had happened at all. She talked about the new strategies and combinations that she planned to use in her next contest and kept Ash updated on the latest big coordinator news even though he couldn’t hear or respond. At night, Dawn would rest her head gently on Ash’s shoulder and fall asleep with him, taking comfort in hearing and feeling his steady heartbeat.

On the third morning since Misty had left, Dawn awoke to someone gently playing her hair. She suspected that it was Pikachu, but when she lifted her head up and opened her sleepy eyes, she nearly screamed.

“Ash! You’re awake!”

Ash was smiling back at her, although still looking weak.

“Misty?” Ash’s voice squeaked, his eyes only half open.

Dawn’s excitement dropped slightly when she heard Ash. “Uh… no… It’s me. Dawn.”

“Oh… Dawn.” Ash croaky voice sounded somewhat disappointed, but Dawn told herself that it was just due to his weakened state. “Where… where’s Misty?”

“She’s not here, Ash. But I’m here. Everything‘s going to be all right!”

Ash opened his mouth to speak, but he began to cough dryly. Dawn rushed over to the nightstand on the other side of Ash’s bed, poured a glass full of water, and helped Ash drink through the straw. It seemed like the refreshing drink rejuvenated him slightly.

“Aah. Thanks, Dawn.”

“Oh, Ash! I’m so glad you’re okay!” Dawn flung her arms around Ash’s neck and embraced him.

“Yeah… what happened? Where am I?” Ash looked around the room, clearly confused as he awkwardly tried to return Dawn's hug.

“You don’t remember?”

Ash blinked, looking like he was trying to think. “I remember… pain.”

Dawn’s face fell. She had hoped that Ash wouldn’t remember anything about the gruesome attack that he had endured or any of the horrid pain he must have felt. Ash must have noticed the girl’s concern because he spoke again quickly.

“But I feel a lot better now… No need to worry!” Ash smiled.

“Oh Ash… we almost… almost lost you,” Dawn sniffled.

“What hospital is this? Where are we?” the boy asked, obviously trying to change the subject.

“We’re in Sapphire City, Ash. Sapphire City Medical Center.”

“Sapphire City!? I totally forgot! The tournament! I remember now… Zak Seabrook! I can’t… I can’t believe that son of a b--” Ash stopped instantly and started cough again. He winced in pain as he grabbed his chest.

“Ash! Don’t worry about that now!” Dawn stood up, ready to run and get Nurse Joy if need be. “Are you sure you feel okay?”

“I’m okay. I’m okay,” Ash reassured her after a few moments of teeth gritting and wincing. “What about you, Dawn?”

“Me? What about me?”

“You just look like you haven’t slept in a while, Dawn. Maybe you should try to get some rest.”

Dawn felt the wetness beginning to form in her eyes once again. She felt like she was going to melt. Here Ash was, barely cheating death, and he was still more worried about his friends more so than himself. Before Dawn could insist that she was fine, Nurse Joy entered the room and did a double take when she saw Ash.

“Ash! You’re awake!” She ran up to him as if she could hardly believe it. She instantly whipped out her thermometer and stethoscope and began checking on him.

“Yeah… when can I get out of here, Nurse Joy?” Ash looked a little uncomfortable at being poked and prodded by the nurse. “I have a battle to get ready for.”

“You can’t leave until you’ve regained your strength, young man.” Joy gave Ash a stern look. “You suffered some very serious injuries, and we’ve got to make sure that there won’t be any further complications before we release you. Besides, it's probably not a very good idea for you to do anything as stressful as battling for at least a few months.”

“A few months!?” Ash argued. “No way! I beat Zak! I'm in the second round!”

Nurse Joy sighed deeply and rolled her eyes. She had heard about how stubborn this kid could be from those who had met him before.

“Look honey,” the young woman said, seeing that she wasn't going to win in an argument with this kid. “The second stage of the tournament doesn't begin for a few days. I'll tell you what. I'm not making any promises, but if you agree to settle down and relax, I'll have the doctors take another look at you then. If they think you are well enough to go out there, well...”

“Thanks, Nurse Joy!” Ash said happily, knowing that was as good as he was going to get from her. “I know it'll be okay. I feel fine right now... I am kind of hungry though.” And right on cue, Ash’s stomach began to growl loudly.

Dawn and Nurse Joy laughed as Brock, May, Max, Johanna, and Delia came bursting into the room. Delia pushed past everyone and almost flattened Ash when she hugged him, crying uncontrollably once again.

“Aaaaaaaaash!!” she sobbed. “Ooh! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She was screaming to no one in particular. “Everything’s going to be fine now, baby!”

“Mooom!” Ash hissed at her as he blushed and tried to free himself from his mother‘s grasp. “I’m okay!”

Delia finally let go of her son, gave him a final once over to make sure he was indeed okay. Then she wiped her tears and promptly went over to Nurse Joy to presumably discuss Ash’s treatment.

“Pikapi!” Pikcahu cried and jumped from May’s arms to Ash’s and began to vigorously lick his face.

“Pikachu!” Ash laughed and the two friends embraced for a long time. “I’m glad you’re okay buddy!”

“Hey! You gave us quite a scare, Ash. Welcome back.” Brock slapped Ash happily on the back.

“Thanks, Brock,” Ash said, then lowered his voice a little so Nurse Joy wouldn’t hear from across the room. “I don’t suppose you could whip up a little breakfast, could you? This IV just isn’t cutting it.”

Brock and the others just laughed.

The joyful celebration lasted all morning. Delia spent most of that time crying, but after a while even she managed to pull herself together long enough to enjoy everyone else’s company. Ash finally managed to convince Nurse Joy to bring him some solid food, and even though all he got was a cup of pudding and some dry toast, he was grateful. Grateful to be eating. Grateful for his awesome friends. Grateful to be alive.

At around noon, when Ash's friends had gone to lunch, Nurse Joy came into the teenager's room and informed him that he had a couple of visitors. He didn't know who it could be since everyone he knew in town was together getting food. He nodded and for Joy to let his visitors in, and he nearly wet himself when he saw who had come to see him.

Two men marched into the room. The first looked to be in his mid-forties or early fifties. He had black hair with streaks of silver, which was combed neatly into a side-part. He was wearing an official-looking black business suit. He smiled at Ash when he came in.

“Ah, Mr. Ketchum. So good to see that you are up and in good spirits, my boy! Everyone who saw the incident was very worried that you would no longer be with us.”

Ash politely thanked the man, but of the two visitors, he certainly wasn't the one who had caught the boy's attention.

“Oh, where are my manners?” the man said and extended his hand towards Ash. “My name is Nigel Hawthorne, president of the Pokémon League… and I presume you know who this gentleman with me is.”

Ash nodded vigorously. Did he ever. The other man standing next to Mr. Hawthorne, who was much younger and taller, had an unmistakable mop of red fiery red hair, intense brown eyes, and a strong angular face. The sleek black and red track suit that fit loosely around his stoic frame, accentuated his hair.

“I sure do!” Ash said, sounding extremely starstruck. “Hi, Lance!”

Lance, the defending champion of the Pokémon World Champions League, smiled back brightly at the boy. For Ash, it was very surreal and exciting to see one of the most famous pokémon trainers in the entire world standing here only a few feet away from his hospital bed. The Dragon Master of Blackthorn City, as he was called by his fans, had a definite aura of power and invincibility about him, probably due to the many epic battles Ash had seen him win over the years on television, including the championship match of this very tournament four years ago.

“Great to see you, Ash! You’re looking well!” Lance said, extending his hand to shake the boy's.

“Thanks. You too.”

“Pi-Kah-Chu!” Pikachu greeted Lance from the bed as well.

“It’s great to see you too, Pikachu,” Lance said and gently scratched the small electric rodent behind the ears.

Ash and Pikachu had first met Lance over five years ago at the Lake of Rage during their journey through Mahogany Town of the Johto Region. Back then, Team Rocket had invaded the lake to investigate the mysterious properties of the ‘Red Gyarados’ which lived in the middle of the lake. Their goal was to capture the gyarados in order to learn how to force pokémon to evolve. Lance was able to thwart Team Rocket’s plans (with a little help from Ash, Misty and Brock), and he eventually captured the Red Gyarados, which was now one of the strongest pokémon in his arsenal.

Since then, Lance had joined the illustrious and mysterious Pokémon G-men organization and also somehow found time to become the best pokémon trainer in the world, according to many experts. He had become world famous four years ago when he won the champions league tournament, but Lance had been Ash’s idol ever since the two had met.

“So, Ash,” Nigel Hawthorne said after a few minutes of pleasantries. “You're probably wondering why we're here.”

Ash nodded. He was still too excited to see Lance to care about what Nigel was talking about, but he forced himself to try to pay attention.

“Well, Lance and I wanted to come see how you were doing. We were so relieved to hear today that you had pulled through. And the both of us wanted to come and personally let you know who your second round opponent will be.”

This caught the boy's interest. It felt like an eternity since he and Pikachu had narrowly defeated Zak Seabrook, ensuring their spot in the second phase of the Pokémon World Champions League Tournament.

“Who?! Who am I going up against?!” Ash demanded, hoisting himself up in bed with his arms.

Lance and Nigel just chuckled to themselves, apparently amused by the boy's youthful exuberance.

“Yours truly,” Lance said with a wink.

Ash’s eyes bulged almost as big as tennis balls. “I’m facing… you, Lance?”

“That’s right, my boy,” Hawthorne replied with a chuckle. “With all you've been through, we thought we would come and personally give you the news before it's announced tonight on television.”

“Yeah, with how impressively you have battled in this tournament so far, I'm really excited that we drew each other in the second round, Ash,” Lance said.

“Yes, the media is going to eat this up!” Nigel cheered. “The Defending Champion versus the Young Phenom!”

Ash remained silent for a while as he scratched Pikachu behind the ears. He was obviously trying to soak in the idea of going up against his childhood idol on the biggest stage in the world. After a few moments, Nurse Joy's voice interrupted his thoughts, speaking in a firm tone of voice.

“Excuse me, gentlemen, but like I've explained to Ash, he is still recovering from the massive damage that his body endured only a few days ago. Now, I know how important this competition is to a trainer, but it's my job to be concerned about what's best for the boy's health... and I'm not sure that battling so soon is the best idea.”

“Of course, Nurse Joy,” Hawthorne replied respectfully. “In the end, the decision will be up to the doctors and Ash himself. We are simply informing him of the draw. The boy's health is the number one priority, and if Ash isn't cleared to battle, Lance would win by default.”

“But, I’d much rather battle against you, Ash,” Lance said hopefully. “You're a passionate trainer who clearly has a special relationship with all of his pokémon, and I think it would be an incredible match!”

“Indeed it would,” Nigel agreed wholeheartedly. “But like Nurse Joy says, it all depends on your health, young man.”

“I feel fine...” Ash said, looking at Nurse Joy pleadingly.

“Well, the match won't be for a few days,” Lance said. “Just concentrate on resting up and getting better for now.”

Ash nodded and thanked Nigel and Lance for visiting and letting him know about the tournament. The two distinguished men again shook the boy's hand before being escorted out by Nurse Joy. And so the fifteen-year-old from Pallet Town was left to sit and think about how much this battle against Lance would mean to him. It would be a chance to measure his skills against the very best in the entire world, a chance to see just how far he had come since that fateful day nearly six years ago when he had first left his home of Pallet Town to begin his journey to become a Pokémon Master.

As the evening passed, Ash was getting more and more pumped to battle against his hero. He told his friends right away after they returned from lunch. Dawn and May were certainly proud and in agreement that Ash deserved the chance to battle Lance, but tended to agree more with Nurse Joy that it might be in his best interest to stay off of his feet.

Delia was adamant that he should not even consider battling so soon after his ordeal.

“Absolutely not, honey! You need to stay in bed for at least a month! Maybe three months!” she said more than a few times.

Ash just rolled his eyes at this. He appreciated his mother, but it annoyed him that she didn't understand at all how much this particular battle would mean to him. Brock and Max, however, were both totally on board with Ash competing against Lance. The very idea of the two talented trainers doing battle excited Max to the point of screaming and jumping all around the hospital room.

“Oh man! Ash against Lance!!! No way!!!”
    “Ash… which pokémon do you think you’ll use against Lance’s dragon-types?”
    “Ash, is it true that you helped Lance defeat Team Rocket at the Lake of Rage?!”
    “Ash!! You actually saw Lance capture that Red Gyarados?!”

These and many other hyperactive questions and comments came out of Max’s mouth at a million miles a second as he bounced excitedly around the room.

“Pikah!” Pikachu looked equally thrilled as it was jumping around along with Max.

Even Brock, who was normally the sensible one of the group who always erred on the side of caution, couldn’t help but get excited over the idea of Ash battling the world champion, although he didn’t show his emotions as plainly as Max did.

“Max! Settle down!” May grabbed her brother by the arm. “Ash has to focus on getting better before he can even think about battling!”

“But, May… Ash is fine! And after all, the pokémon do most of the work, don’t they?” Max argued.

Ash just laughed at Max’s exuberance. It reminded him a lot of himself at that age.

When nightfall came and Ash raised his arms up in the air, stretching while he yawned, his friends took that as a hint that they should leave him to rest. Pikachu had already fallen asleep at the foot of his trainer's bed and was snoring peacefully.

“Well, maybe we should get back to the hotel,” May suggested when she saw him showing signs of sleepiness.

“Yeah, you need your sleep, Ash,” Brock agreed. He added, “Guess what? Nurse Joy said that I could make you my famous pancakes with maple syrup tomorrow for breakfast!”

Normally news like that would have excited Ash to the point of shouting or doing cartwheels. Besides pokémon battles, food was his favorite thing in the world. But May, Max, Dawn and Brock stared at Ash with a confused look when he failed to respond.

“I gotta tell you guys something,” the boy said finally, looking very serious. He craned his neck to check to see if his mother was still out of the room talking to the doctors.

“What is it? Are you feeling okay, Ash?” Dawn replied instantly, looking worried.

Ash rolled his eyes a bit. “Yes, I'm fine Dawn. That's just it. I got shot multiple times in the chest, and all I've been hearing from everyone around here is how big of a miracle it is that I'm still alive,” he said thoughtfully. “Aren't any of you just the slightest bit curious about how I was able to recover so fast?”

Everyone in the room remained silent, unsure of what their friend was getting at.

“I guess we hadn't thought about that, no,” Dawn finally said, sounding puzzled. “The only thing that matters is that you are okay. What are you getting at, Ash?”

The boy opened his clenched fist to reveal the small gold coin. Its shiny metal surface glimmered in the room's light, as did the five gemstones attached to it.

“What's that? Oh! It's your little good luck charm from your first battle,” Max observed when he saw what Ash was holding.

“Oh yeah, I remember you showing us that. It sure is pretty,” May added. “What about it, Ash?”

Ash exhaled deeply, knowing full well what he was about to say would sound utterly preposterous to all his friends. Regardless, he told Dawn, May, Max and Brock about his previous meeting with the intoxicated Zak Seabrook... the first encounter outside the Pokémon Center in the middle of the night, when his Tentacruel had struck Ash with a deadly Hyperbeam. He also told them about how this strange coin had somehow revived him from death.

“So, you see... I think this coin saved my life this time too. It healed me,” Ash said.

“Ash, are you sure?” Brock asked, sounding unconvinced.

“How else can you explain it?”

“So what is that thing? You said it helped you win the battle against Ethan... and now we find out it heals people?” Max said.

“Yeah, it's crazy, but I didn't even use the coin when I beat Zak. I remember, I left the coin in my room. I wanted to beat that guy by myself.”

“Okay... but then how did it heal you if you left it at the Pokémon Center?” Dawn asked. “You certainly didn't grab it after the match with Zak.”

“Someone must have brought it to him here,” May concluded.

“Yeah... but who?”

Ash suddenly whipped his head forward and his eyes got huge as if he’d just remembered something.

“Misty! Where’s Misty?! I know she was here!” He looked over at his friends who looked bewildered. “I saw her here before, right in this room! At least… I think I did.”

Brock spoke up before Dawn could object.

“Yeah, Misty was here, Ash. She was really worried about you… she was the one who saw you first wake up. But…” Brock paused. “But, she had to get back to the gym. She felt really bad that she had to leave… but she said she’d be watching and rooting for you against Lance!”

Dawn elbowed Brock hard in the ribs, knowing full well that Misty hadn’t been around to know about Lance visiting Ash in the hospital. Obviously Ash didn’t think about the timing of Nigel and Lance arriving because a very happy grin was beginning to spread across his face.

“Misty said she’d be watching?! Really, Brock?”

“Err… Yeah.”

Brock ignored Dawn’s death-stare. It wasn’t a total lie, he thought. There was no doubt in his mind that Misty would be watching on television at the very least. The twenty-year-old breeder had noticed the tension between Misty and Dawn earlier and realized that this uncomfortable moment was related to that.

“Well, it’s settled then! I need to start getting ready!” Ash said with his trademark smile. “Which pokémon should I use--”

“But Ash!” Dawn said. “You just had surgery a few days ago! Your mom and Nurse Joy said--”

“Forget what they said, Dawn!” Ash looked annoyed, looking incredibly stern as he spoke. “They didn’t go through what I went through to get here! I’ve been training and traveling around the world for years… and now that I finally made it here, I’ve got to go for it!”

“Yeah, but--

“Dawn! Being a pokémon trainer and battling is my life! You know that better than anyone. It’s more important to me than anything else in this world. Anything!” Ash shouted without noticing the hurt look on Dawn's face.

“… And if I don’t take this chance I’ve been given… right here and now… what purpose does my life have? I know Lance will probably cream me out there, and there’s a risk of getting hurt again, but if I don’t do this… I’ll regret it for the rest of my life!”

Ash's friends could see that there would be no arguing with him by now. They knew all too well how stubborn he was when it came to pokémon and battling. They were still a little offended at how the boy had mentioned that nothing else in his life mattered compared to training, but they smiled at Ash and hugged him before they left him for the night.

“All right, have a good night, Ash,” said Dawn with a roll of her eyes. “There’s just no reasoning with you, is there?”

“Hah, I guess not.”

“Goodnight to you too, Pikachu,” Dawn whispered and stroked the sleeping rodent's head.

“Just be smart, Ash. If Monday gets here and you’re still not feeling good enough to compete… just please don’t do anything before you’re ready!” May said as she too hugged Ash goodnight.

“I promise,” Ash replied flatly, not sounding that sincere.

Max and Brock just smiled at Ash, knowing without a doubt that they were going to get to see Ash battle in a few days. “We’ll see you tomorrow, champ.” Brock said. Max high-fived Ash and all four of them exited the room, leaving Ash and Pikachu alone in the dark room.

Lifting his head to make sure his friends had left and Nurse Joy wasn’t around, Ash reached over to the duffel bag holding all of his pokéballs, which Dawn had fetched for him earlier in the day, and lifted it so that it was resting in his lap. He unzipped the bag, revealing the collection of metal golf ball-sized spheres packed inside. The boy remained silent for more than a few minutes, simply rummaging through the duffel and examining each and every pokéball individually.

A while back, probably a year or so ago, Dawn had done Ash the favor of painting each pokémon's name on the outside of the ball with fingernail polish so that he could easily identify which ball was which. It was thoughtful gestures like this that made Dawn so special to him, he realized. She was always there looking out for him.

So as Ash continued to pull random pokéballs from his bag he read all the names painted in purple nail polish.

“Glalie...”
    “Heracross...”
    “Buizel...”
    “Donphan...”

And as Ash read all of the names of his many amazing pokémon, he began to reminisce about the memories he and his friends had made over the years. He still remembered how he met each and every one of his pokémon. He remembered all of the big battles they helped him win. He remembered all the amazing times they had shared together over the years.

“Pikapi?” Pikachu, who had recently awoken, squeaked as if to ask what Ash was thinking about.

“Wha? Oh nothing, Pikachu. Just trying to think about who I'm gonna go with against Lance.”

“Pikaah!” the mouse hollered excitedly, instantly snapping out of his drowsiness. It was clear that Pikachu wanted very much to battle for Ash against Lance.

“Haha, I’m glad you're so excited. I am too. And this battle is going to be six-on-six… so I’ve gotta choose six of you to battle against Lance’s dragons.”

And so, even though Ash was extremely tired, he spent most of the next few hours pondering which six pokémon he would use to take on Lance, the champion of the world.

So there it is! PLEASE take a few minutes to tell me what you think!

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 12)

wow
    just wow

the way you show the rivalry between Dawn and Misty is amazing, a high level of writing that i imagine proffesional authors have.
    You should take up being a writer lol

i thought i picked out a mistake but i just didn't recognise phenom straight away, i thought it should have been phenomenon, but on checking i was wrong, but nvm.

Looking forward to the battle with Lance! Hopefully Ash uses the coin and kicks some dragon ass!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by some colour no doubt View Post
    wow
    just wow

the way you show the rivalry between Dawn and Misty is amazing, a high level of writing that i imagine proffesional authors have.
    You should take up being a writer lol

i thought i picked out a mistake but i just didn't recognise phenom straight away, i thought it should have been phenomenon, but on checking i was wrong, but nvm.

Looking forward to the battle with Lance! Hopefully Ash uses the coin and kicks some dragon ass!
    Thanks for the kind words! I will actually have the next chapter up soon!

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy
    or the robbery of Ash's guestroom at the stadium Pokémon Center.
    And here I thought you were consistent in using the Common Noun method. Mind justifying this?
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    And here I thought you were consistent in using the Common Noun method. Mind justifying this?
    Haha, yeah well I normally capitalize Pokemon Center, but not pokemon... probably weird and and inconsistent but it's how I've been doing it I guess lol.

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)