POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 20 - Route One Rumble!) - Page 12

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: POKEMON: The Power Inside (Chapter 20 - Route One Rumble!)

The Goodnatured Waiter DentoSan's Avatar

Default Re: POKEMON: The Power Inside

If you guys like this, you'll love my fic: Power Lord
    "May I take your order?"

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Korea View Post
    If you guys like this, you'll love my fic: Power Lord
    Not a big fan of advertising your own fic in someone else's thread, but if the author doesn't mind...

Anyways, I thought I would point out that I think this fic has as much potential as any PKMN story I've read. I normally prefer to read PKMN fics with original casts, but your interpretation of the anime cast of characters is a joy to read.

The plot seems delightfully complex so far with lots of action and mystery to keep us readers engaged.

I am most excited to learn the origin of the gold coin that saved Ash's life/made him immortal. The professor from the prologue and her role in the story is also very exciting to me.

Kudos, mate. I will be loyally following this story.

PS Your latest chapter with Dawn's dream is right up my alley. Nice work!!

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

And of course, everyone comments on Dawn's dream. How sad.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid View Post
    And of course, everyone comments on Dawn's dream. How sad.
    That's what happened last time, too.

I know. I was observing it.

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

May Still Have Hope TeamGalacticMercury's Avatar

Best. Story. Ever. I really want to know about that coin!

Blog Entries

A tall and skinny man wearing a cleanly pressed black business suit reclined in his leather chair and kicked his feet up on his gorgeous mahogany desktop. His lavish underground office he was toiling in was nearly pitch-black aside from a few small candles scattered about the spacious area, which provided a soft ambient orange glow.

The man's face and features were still hidden by darkness until he removed a small hand-held lighter from his jacket pocket and flicked it in order to light a cigarette. The bright flame that emanated from the lighter revealed the man's face briefly as he held the device to the roll of tobacco he held in his mouth.

The man had dark, fierce-looking eyes which glowed orange in the fire's light. His boney, angular and normally intense face was unusually relaxed and satisfied as he sucked the tobacco smoke in and exhaled deeply. In addition, the fact that his master plan was only days away from commencing had the man in a particularly good mood. It was only a matter of time before he would have the respect and power he had worked so hard for.

But the man's time for patting himself on the back ended abruptly when his telephone earpiece began to ring in his ear. The fact that someone was calling so late at night irritated him.

He took a large drag of his cigarette and placed it in the ashtray on his desk before he clicked the 'answer' button.

“Yeah?” the man demanded, exhaling smoke at the same time.

“Sir? Yeah... you'll never guess what I just saw tonight?”

The man growled. Being bothered in the middle of the night was bad enough without having to play guessing games.

“What is it, Agent Cortez?!”

As he listened to his agent on site in Sapphire City explain what he thought he had seen over the phone, the man grew angrier. He thought he had heard his subordinate say he's seen a kid die.

“What the hell are you babbling about, Cortez?” he growled into his earpiece as he sat up from his chair's reclining position. He wasn't pleased. He didn't have time for these sort of interruptions.

“Yeah I know... I know it sounds weird, Boss. But I swear. I was in position near the stadium, and I saw this kid get into a fight outside the Pokémon Center with another guy and his tentacruel...”

“Yeah? Why the hell should I care?"

“This kid, I don't know... fifteen or sixteen years old,” Cortez repeated, sounding a bit out of breath. “He and this other guy got into it outside the Pokémon Center. Before you know it, the older guy sends out his tentacruel and fires a full-powered Hyperbeam right at the kid.”

“So what?! Cortez, unless you have something important to tell me, I'm hanging up! I'm too busy to deal with this bull shit!"

“Boss, the Hyperbeam hit him head on, from like ten feet away! He was bleeding all over the place, and he went down... he died, Boss. I'm telling you, he died! He had to have. No human would have been able to survive that. But... then, a few minutes later, he wakes up like nothing happened! That kid died and came back to life!”

Finally the agent's story seemed to have gotten the man's attention.

“Died and came back to life, you say?” he said curiously, his tone instantly different. “Interesting...”

“Yes sir. It's crazy I know, but I don't know how else to describe what this kid did.”

The man in the suit didn't answer. He remained silent, deep in thought as he again reclined back in his leather desk chair and stared at the ceiling. A kid who had died and then came back to life? A claim like that certainly sounded farfetched to say the least. And at first, the man was ready to dismiss it as silliness, but for whatever reason... he was curious.

“Sir? Are you still there?”

“This kid you saw,” the man finally said, sounding oddly interested. “What did he look like?”

“I don't know... ummm. Kind of tall, lanky kid... black shaggy hair, brown eyes... But that's not all. You'll never guess who he was with!”

“Huh? Who?”

“Professor Moss' younger sister.”

“What?! Are you sure?”

“Yeah, pretty sure. Brown hair, tall... ass like a peach. The two of them look so alike, it has to be her. She was outside with the kid when he got shot.”

“I wonder what she's doing there,” the man replied, not sounding nearly as interested in the girl as he was with the boy who cheated death.

“Sir, what if the girl knows something? What if Moss somehow warned her sister about us? She could be in town to try to stop the mission!”

“Oh stop,” the man chided his agent. “She doesn't know anything... and even if she did, what could some teenage girl do to stop us?”

“Yeah, but what if Professor Moss--”

“I've taken care of Professor Moss,” the man interrupted sternly. “We won't have to worry about her telling anyone about anything. And as for the apparent living-dead boy you say you saw, you must have been mistaken. No human could survive a close range Hyperbeam from a full-grown tentacruel. It must have been something else. Humans can't just come back from the dead.”

“Yeah... your probably right,” Cortez replied a bit dejectedly.

“Now, I want you and your men to maintain your position until morning. During the tournament tomorrow you'll be able to easily sneak inside the stadium and upload the virus to the security system without being seen. We'll need your team to do that before we can proceed.”

Yes sir,” the agent said again. “Sorry to bother you at such a late hour, Boss. I'll let you know tomorrow when I've uploaded the virus. It shouldn't be any problem.”

“Good, see to it that it isn't,” the man said. He lifted his hand towards his ear to end the phone call, but paused.

“Cortez, one more thing...”

“What is it, Boss?”

“That boy you saw with Moss' sister,” the man said. “Did you happen catch his name?”

“No, sorry sir. I wasn't close enough to hear,” the agent said nervously. “Why? Do you think you might know him? I think he's competing in the tournament. I saw the two of them walk back into the Pokémon Center together. Do you want me to find out who he is?”

“No... no, don't worry about it...” the boss's voice trailed off. “I was just curious...”

**THE NEXT DAY**

The mid-afternoon sun was out in full-force, and once again there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. The huge Sapphire City Stadium was again packed to capacity for Ash’s second match against the seductive and talented Miss Lacey, the twenty-two-year-old Elite Four member from Hoenn... or The Ice Queen, as she was often called by her fans.

Ash had woken up earlier in that morning from a tough night's sleep curled up uncomfortably in the small recliner chair in the corner of his guestroom to find that Lexi, the pretty green-eyed girl whom he had met the night before and invited to sleep over, had left early without saying goodbye.

He couldn't help but feel a little disappointed when he had seen his empty bed, but he shrugged it off. He felt bad that the girl had lost her older sister, but perhaps this was one of those times that he didn't have to try to be the hero. Lexi obviously wanted to handle things on her own. Plus, he had plenty to worry about already... namely trying to win his second match of the tournament.

As the fifteen-year-old gazed up at the enormous crowd of people surrounding him, the boy realized that everything about this match seemed completely opposite of his previous battle against Hart.

He had left his trusty gold coin back at the Pokémon Center. After what had happened last night, Ash came to the conclusion that the coin was not just some good luck charm or toy... It was something much more. He had no idea what to make of it, and frankly, he was a bit frightened to be holding an object with such immense power. So in the end, he decided that he would go without a good luck charm this time around.

The thunderous noise from the spectators' cheers shook the ground Ash stood on. The boy felt the thousands of pairs of eyes all staring at him from every direction. It was a suffocating feeling. His legs started to shake and feel weak. His heart was pounding.

He could tell right away by how nervous he now felt, that it had been the strange metal coin that had somehow given him so much confidence in his last match. This fact in itself made Ash even more petrified because without the coin this time around, he wasn't at all sure whether or not he would put up much of a fight against someone like Lacey.

Lacey, who had already made quick work of Zak Seabrook the day before, was looking to solidify her place in the next round with a victory over the youngster from Pallet Town.

The stunningly beautiful young woman stood on the opposite end of the field as Ash and Pikachu, looking ravishing in the bright sunlight as she clutched her first pokéball in her freshly pedicured hand.

Even from across the way, Ash could tell exactly why Miss Lacey had such an incredible following of fans. She stood elegantly atop her white four-inch high heels. Her super short, skin-tight dress matched the color of her shoes and accentuated all of her voluptuous curves. Her ample breasts nearly spilled out through the plunging neckline. The woman's long, shiny blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders beautifully, and her bright blue eyes were staring back at Ash as the match was about to start.

“Let the battle begin!” the boy heard the referee’s booming voice over the stadium’s loud speakers.

“All right, let's do this! Just like yesterday, Jynx!” Lacey shouted and gracefully tossed her pokéball towards midfield.

A bulky, humanoid-pokémon with long white hair emerged from its ball with a bright flash and appeared on the field. It too was wearing what looked like a dress, which looked similar to its trainer’s except for Jynx's dress was far less provocative. The ice-type's deep purple face looked intense as she bellowed out her unique deep-voiced cry.

“Jynnnnnnx!”

Unlike yesterday, Ash was completely ill-prepared. With all the excitement in the terrace outside the Pokémon Center last night, he hadn't had a chance to do any research about Lacey's battle style. All he knew was that her ice-type pokémon were incredibly powerful, enough so that she had been able to defeat Zak three straight in her first battle.

“Alright, I choose you… Torkoal!” Ash yelled timidly as he threw his ball, and his sleepy-eyed friend with its coal-black shell materialized.

“Tooor-Kooohl!” the fiery reptilian pokémon roared as it shot clouds of white smoke from its nostrils.

The announcer identified each trainer’s selection for the crowd, and the battle began with Ash making the first move.

“Alright, Torkoal… Let’s start off with a Flare Blitz attack!”

The glowing red spots on Torkoal’s rock-hard shell began to intensify in brightness, and its copper-brown skin began to change to a vivid neon-red. Its entire body became engulfed in a huge, raging red inferno, and the flaming pokémon started to charge at Lacey's jynx at full speed.

“Watch out, Jynx! Don't let it get you!” Lacey shouted over the crowd noise.

The wide-bodied Jynx tried to side-step the charging fire-type, but Torkoal managed to clip the side of Jynx’s body with its blazing headbutt. The smoldering attack singed its skin and the ice-type howled in pain. Ash’s attack definitely could have done more damage than it did, but the type advantage that Torkoal held was made evident.

After wincing for a few seconds, Jynx popped right back up.

“All right, hang in there! Just concentrate on defense!” The Ice Queen yelled out encouragement to her pokémon. “Now… Let’s give them a ‘Mean Look!’”

Jynx’s wide eyes started to glow and fixed their gaze right on Torkoal who didn’t have time to look away. The entrancing glare did its damage, affixing Torkoal with a dark, arresting look.

“Uh-oh, that’s Mean Look… now Ash can’t recall Torkoal!” May said with concern from her seat in the stands.

“There's no need to worry. Ash and Torkoal have the type advantage. They should have no trouble taking down an ice-type.” Dawn said in her familiar optimistic tone.

“Yeah, but Miss Lacey’s an Elite Four trainer. So type advantage alone won‘t be enough for Ash to win…” Brock said knowingly before a comically-goofy grin suddenly spread across his face and drool started dripping from his open mouth as he stood up from his seat.

“… Plus, she’s gooooorgeous! Aaaaaah! Do you think she has a boyfriend?! Oooooooh… I think I’ll walk down there for a closer lo-- OUCH! Oooooow!”

“That’s my cue!” Max smiled and yanked Brock’s ear hard from his seat to Brock’s left. The nineteen-year-old was slammed back into his seat by the younger boy. He screamed and rubbed his ear in agony.

“How’s that for old time’s sake!” Max quipped.

Delia and Johanna just chuckled at the teens from their neighboring seats without looking over. They were too busy watching Torkoal and Jynx exchange violent attacks down on the field.

“It will take more than a nasty glare to beat us, Torkoal!” Ash yelled, pointing across the field with an outstretched arm. “Use your Flamethrower on Jynx!”

“Tooooooooor-KOOOL!” The coal-pokémon took a deep breath and then shot a huge, scorching orange flame from its open mouth which hurdled towards Jynx on the opposite side of the field.

“Dodge that fire, Jynx! And then use Perish Song!” Lacey said with a smirk which showed that she clearly had a plan.

Jynx just barely ducked underneath the Flamethrower which flew past both it and and Lacey. It exploded against the far wall that separated the field from the stands. The stadium ‘oohed’ and ‘aahed’ at the power of the fire-attack as pieces of charred debris flew everywhere upon impact.

Jynx then opened its ‘O’-shaped mouth as wide as it could and began to sing… if one could even call it singing. It was more of a high-pitched noise that was excruciating to listen to, like a tornado siren. Ash and most people in the stands covered their ears with their hands when the sound waves reached them.

As soon as the shrill song ended, Ash searched his pocket for his Pokédex. He typed in, ‘perish song,’ on the tiny keypad on his handheld in order to learn about the move Lacey had just made.

“Perish Song…” the computerized voice said. “... A highly powerful, normal-type move. All pokémon who hear this deadly song will be knocked out permanently from the battle after three moves, unless it is switched out of the battle.”

“Oh no!” Ash realized what his opponent had done.

By using Mean Look on Torkoal the turn before, Lacey had prevented Ash from protecting Torkoal from Perish Song. The boy's pokémon would faint after three moves because it couldn’t be recalled… but Jynx could, and therefore it would be safe from the Perish Song.

Ash didn’t understand the science behind a timed attack like Perish Song, but he knew it was bad news for him nonetheless.

“Jynx… return. No sense in both of our pokémon being knocked out by the attack,” Lacey said, smiling sweetly at Ash from across the way.

Jynx returned safely to its pokéball, and the sultry Elite Four master immediately threw out a new one.

“All right, your turn, Glaceon! This shouldn’t take long!” she said, referring to the short time Torkoal had before it would faint.

The ice-type ‘Eveelution’ appeared on the field and it growled fiercely in Ash and Torkoal's direction.

The fifteen-year-old recognized it instantly as the same pokémon May had introduced to him a few years back during his Sinnoh Region journey. Although, Miss Lacey's Glaceon was a lot bigger and looked a lot stronger than May’s, he thought.

Ash didn't have time to think about the past for long, however, as his nervousness began to set in when he remembered that he didn’t have much time before Torkoal would be out of the match. He had to make the time he did have count.

The boy felt the sweat on his brow begin to collect on the inside of his hat. Amongst the resounding crowd noise, he heard the voices in his head of all who had doubted him and his abilities during his life. That same doubt began to creep into Ash’s head, compounded by the fact that his initial victory in the tournament had been nothing but pure luck caused by his mysterious gift, which he had left in his dresser drawer back at the Pokémon Center.

The boy eventually became frozen with fear and could only watch as Lacey's icy-blue colored pokémon struck Torkoal with a head-butt and started viciously clawing at it, displaying its incredible speed and quickness. Ash's pokémon was trying its best to defend itself and strike back when it could, but unless he came up with an idea fast, Torkoal would soon be done for.

The feeling of panic and self-doubt that Ash had felt before the tournament had returned in full force. The roaring crowd all around him seemed even more intimidating, like a tidal wave threatening to swallow him up from above and drown him. All Ash could focus on were the many staring eyes all fixed upon him from the stands... all the critics and naysayers, all the people who still expected him to fail.

Suddenly, Ash felt something tugging at his pant leg. It was Pikachu, who was still standing right by the boy's side.

“Pikapi.”

“Huh?”

Pikachu pointed up to the stands when it had gotten Ash’s attention. The boy looked to where his best friend was pointing with its furry outstretched arm, and saw May, Max, Dawn, Brock, Johanna and his mother sitting there a few rows up with warm smiles on their faces.

At that moment, Ash remembered all the nice things they all had said last night in his room. He remembered what Professor Oak had said as well.

“… When you go out there tomorrow against Miss Lacey, all the pressure is on her… You really have nothing to lose! You can just go out there and battle like it's any other battle…”

Somehow, seeing his friends’ smiling faces from afar and remembering their encouragement calmed Ash’s nerves considerably.

Suddenly the task at hand-- trying to defeat one of the world’s top trainers in front of millions of people-- didn’t seem as scary as before. Professor Oak was right. This was just another battle. He had absolutely nothing to lose. Despite his opening match victory, the entire world expected Lacey to destroy him. What an opportunity to prove the world wrong!

His attitude had been all wrong. He wasn't under any pressure to prove that his opening round victory wasn't a fluke... it was in a way. But that didn't matter. What mattered was that he was here... finally, after years of training, battling in front of the people he loved most.

Ash felt like the weight of the entire world had just been lifted from his shoulders. His heartbeat steadied and a smile returned to his face. And with his confidence back, the light bulb went on in Ash’s head. He had an idea.

“Alright, Torkoal, we don’t have much time! Just stand there! Try to avoid Glaceon as best you can!”

A confused look appeared on Lacey’s face, not to mention almost everyone in the entire stadium. Ash had only a short time left to try to defeat Glaceon before Perish Song would knock Torkoal out. Why wasn’t he attacking?

“Glaceon, just keep attacking! If the kid just wants to give up and let us knock his pokémon out, that’s fine with us!” Ash heard Lacey shout from her end of the field.

Glaceon obliged and continued to scratch and claw at Torkoal’s leathery skin, but also seemed confused as to what was going on. The fire-type pokémon did its best to avoid Glaceon’s swipes until, finally, its trainer called out a command.

“Now! Use Smokescreen, Torkoal! Blow smoke over the entire field!”

Ash’s pokémon did as it was told and began to shoot thick, billowing clouds of opaque, white smoke which quickly spread all across the field. Soon visibility was next to nothing. Ash could barely see his hand waving in front of his face, but it was exactly what he wanted.

“It appears as if Ketchum’s Torkoal has covered the entire field with smoke!” the announcer shouted. “An odd move indeed… Smokescreen won't do any damage to Glaceon, and Ketchum's Torkoal will be knocked out of battle as soon as it makes one more move!”

The crowd started to boo, they’d paid a lot of money for these tickets, and they wanted to be able to see the action on the field. They didn't appreciate the kid's choice of attacks one bit.

But Ash didn’t care about the crowd; in fact, he removed any thoughts or worries about the many thousands of fans from his mind. He was completely focused on winning the match now.

Lacey yelled out through the smoke, “Glaceon, be careful! Try to figure out where Torkoal is!”

The four-legged ice-type meandered through the smoke as best it could, but it couldn’t locate its opponent.

The female trainer was cautious but not worried. She didn’t want Glaceon to do anything too risky because Torkoal would be a goner after just one more attack. But the problem was that with all of this smoke, Torkoal could be anywhere.

Ash waited. He had to make sure Glaceon got close enough to Torkoal for his plan to work. Ash still couldn’t see anything through the clouds, but eventually he sensed the time was right.

“Now Torkoal! Use Explosion!” Ash shouted, hoping that his timing was correct.

The crowd gasped when they saw a red glow appear like a beacon through the fog and gradually grow in intensity. A gigantic, fiery explosion ensued with a deafening boom, the force of which blew the white smoke away and up into the atmosphere.

When the dust settled, everyone watching was shocked when they saw what had happened.

Torkoal was laying unconscious close to midfield-- as was expected as a result of Jynx’s Perish Song-- but everyone gasped when it was revealed that Glaceon had also been knocked out!

Ash had used Smokescreen in order to allow Torkoal to get close enough to Glaceon to use Explosion, an extremely powerful attack that had caused both pokémon to be knocked out! Ash had made the best of the sticky situation and had taken down Lacey’s first pokémon along with his own.

The crowd applauded Ash’s strategy to avoid an early deficit.

“What a move by Ketchum! Torkoal’s Explosion has taken out Glaceon! We’re still tied, with each trainer having two Pokemon left!”

“Good job, Torkoal! Return and rest up,” Ash commended his fallen friend as he returned it to its ball.

Lacey did the same with her fainted Galceon and quickly sent Jynx back onto the field.

She didn’t look happy that Ash had managed to outsmart her in order to even up the match. She had thought her Mean Look and Perish Song combo would give her the early lead, but obviously it hadn’t worked out that way.

“Okay, you’re up next, Infernape… I choose you!”

Ash’s coinless confidence was flowing freely now. His Infernape-- whom Ash had adopted long ago as a little Chimchar-- appeared on the field beating its chest, looking fully grown and ready to roll. The raging orange flame on top of its head burned strong as it cried out excitedly. Ash could see the fire in its eyes. Infernape was ready to fight.

“Okay buddy, let’s start ‘er off with a Flame Wheel!” Ash commanded. Infernape fired the attack across midfield towards Jynx.

Lacey's pokémon took the spinning orange ball of fire head on and fell to the ground. Its long, flowing hair had been burnt, as had its face.

“Get up, Jynx!” the woman pleaded from her end of the field. From the look on her face, she was certainly surprised at how good this young teen was... much better than she had initially thought.

Ash didn’t hesitate. Once he saw Lacey’s pokémon hit the ground, he commanded Infernape to charge towards Jynx and attack it while it was down.

The extremely agile, primate-pokémon sprinted towards the fallen Jynx and took several powerful swipes at it with its lightning-fast fists of fury. Its arms were a red and blue blur as it relentlessly punched its icy opponent squarely in the face several dozen times.

The embattled ice creature tried to fight back from on the ground, but it was no match for Infernape in terms of hand-to-hand combat.

“Jynx!” Miss Lacey screamed, realizing she had to do something to prevent Infernape from continuing to beat her pokémon senseless. “Quickly, use Psybeam!”

The beaten and bruised Jynx somehow mustered up enough energy to perform the attack. Its eyes began to glow a bright pink color and waves of psychic energy started to radiate from them.

Almost instantly, Infernape stopped attacking and grabbed its head in agony. Being a part-fighting type, it was extremely susceptible to Jynx’s psychic attack which caused it to drop to its knees.

“Now, use Blizzard on the entire field!”

Thanks to the opening the Psybeam had created, Jynx returned to its feet and shot a powerful icy wind from its mouth which it aimed like a fire extinguisher at the field. Gigantic drifts of white snow and ice soon covered the entire field, and the surrounding air temperature dropped considerably.

Ash could see his breath from where he stood, and the sweat from his hair had frozen, making his black locks stiff to the touch. He shivered from the cold, but he was more concerned about his pokémon.

Infernape was standing knee-deep in snow, and its extremely high body temperature was quickly melting it all around him. The resulting puddle of water that Ash’s fire-type was now standing in had obviously weakened it.

The normally swift primate's speed was all but negated because anywhere it moved to on the field, there was slush and water surrounding it.

“Hang in there, Infernape!” Ash yelled. “Let's try Overheat!”

Infernape jumped high into the air and above the lake of icy water on the field. Its eyes burned blood-red and it screamed like a maniac as it uncorked a devastating beam of fire which sped towards Jynx with a loud whoosh sound.

Almost instantly, the radiant heat from the attack melted the remaining snow and ice on the field, leaving Jynx about waist-high in blue water.

Lacey cringed. She had planned for the ice on the field to give her an advantage because Jynx, an ice-type, would be able to scoot around pretty fast on its slippery surface like a figure skater. But now that the entire field was liquid water, Jynx was stuck. It would be like trying to run in a swimming pool.

"Infernape! Quick! Another Overheat attack!" Ash shouted before Lacey could react.

Infernape fired another vicious attack across the field towards its opponent.

The powerful fire-attack hit its target, and the surrounding water splashed up into the air upon impact. The searing heat from attack evaporated the water almost instantly with a loud sizzle, like water droplets falling into a scalding frying pan.

Jynx was lying face-down on the field, blackened and smoking from Infernape’s attack. By the time th fire-type landed on its feet, all the water on the field had disappeared, as had Jynx’s chance of winning.

“Jynx is unable to battle! Infernape is the victor. Miss Lacey has just one pokémon remaining!”

“Yessss! Great job Infernape!” Ash hollered and pumped his fists. “Way to hang in there!”

Ash felt the excitement beginning to boil inside him. He was just one victory away from beating the great Ice Master, Lacey on his own, with no help from supernatural forces... or whatever that coin was.

But Ash knew he had to compose himself; he hadn’t won yet. He still needed to defeat Lacey’s final pokémon…

“Nothing to worry about... Walrein! It’s your turn!” He heard her yell as a giant, blubbery blue beast with two enormous tusks appeared on the field.

“Waaaaaaaaaallll!” The enormous walrein grunted and focused its attention on Infernape.

“Whoa,” Ash said to himself, impressed by the monster's sheer size.

Infernape remained on the field in front of Ash, looking tired but ready to battle. Its white, furry chest was heaving in and out from fatigue, but the look in its eyes told Ash that it wanted to continue despite the fact that it would be facing a part-water type.

“All right Infernape, be careful! Watch out for water attacks!” Ash commanded from his post.

Infernape blitzed the larger blue pokémon and reached back for a powerful Focus Punch, but a shocked look overcame Infernape as soon as its clenched fist made contact with Walrein.

The blubbery blue body of Walrein rippled like jelly as soon as Infernape punched it, but all the fat seemed to absorb the impact of the punch. It was almost totally unaffected.

“Walrein, extinguish that fire with a Water Gun!” Lacey calmly commanded when she saw Infernape’s attack fail.

The rotund, blue pokémon opened its wide mouth and a huge jet of water shot out with the power of a hundred fire-hoses. The water hit Infernape at point-blank range after it had failed on its Focus Punch attempt.

Ash’s pokémon flew backwards from the impact and crashed hard against the field’s outer wall. Infernape moaned in pain as soon as it collided with the wall and fell to the ground.

“Infernape is unable to battle! Walrein is the winner! Both trainers are now down to their final pokémon!”

Ash returned Infernape to its pokeball and commended it on a job well done as the trainer always did with his pokémon. But the boy's calm demeanor never left his face.

“Pikachu,” Ash said simply. “Go.”

The tiny electric Pokemon eagerly ran out onto the field, and the deciding showdown began.

Pikachu had been waiting for a long time to battle in this tournament, and he looked determined to win this match for his human friend. His black beady eyes were totally focused on Walrein.

Ash looked across the way at Lacey. She also looked calm. Perhaps seeing such a tiny pokémon run onto the field gave her confidence despite Pikachu’s type advantage.

Under the Ice-Master’s command, Walrein opened the match with several powerful Aurora Beams, which it fired from its open jaws down at the tiny scurrying rodent.

But the powerful energy beams weren't fast enough to hit Ash’s trusty Pikachu, who was bolting around the field with almost blinding speed. Each Aurora Beam barely missed the yellow blur, further destroying the field in the process, tossing bits of concrete and dust into the air.

“Wow, Ketchum’s pikachu is displaying some incredible quickness as it evades Walrein’s attacks!”

“Pikachu, keep it up, buddy!” he shouted encouragement to his friend.

Pikachu’s endurance was on full display as it continued to zip around in every direction like a pin ball, while Lacey’s pokémon could only stand in place and attempt to fire attack after attack at the jittering electric mouse as he sped up and down the field.

After this continued on for a while, Ash glanced over at Lacey from across the field, and he was shocked at what he saw.

The famed Ice Queen had a furious look on her normally pleasant face. And the teen even thought he saw her sweating as she continued to shout out commands. She looked surprised and angry that some teenager and his measly little pikachu were giving her such problems.

“Walrein, another Aurora Beam...”

“Another!”

“... Grrrrrr! Again! Another one!”

Each attempt by Walrein seemed to get closer and closer to hitting Ash's lightning fast partner, but each time, it failed. And with each failed attempt, Lacey’s anger increased while her composure decreased. The normally graceful and reserved woman was now scowling and cursing like a sailor with each botched attempt to put the match away.

Pikachu was definitely not as strong as Walrein in terms of raw power, but his speed was simply awesome.

He scooted around his larger opponent, dodging every attack while landing an occasional head butt here and an Iron Tail there. By no means were these devastating attacks, but it was clear that Pikachu was gradually chipping away at Walrein's health... and at Lacey's nerve.

Finally after a few more of Walrein's failed attempts, Ash knew it was time. No matter how fast Pikachu was, he wouldn't be able to keep it up forever. If he was going to win this battle, he would have to go all or nothing right now.

Without Ash even having to say anything, Pikachu knew it as well. The two life-long partners had been through so many battles and adventures together, it was almost as if they could read each other’s minds.

As soon as Walrein blasted yet another failed Aurora Beam down towards the ground that Pikachu was running on, the yellow rodent leaped up high into the air, his jagged tail sticking straight up to provide balance. At the height of his leap, Pikachu shut his eyes tightly and mustered up all the strength he had in his tiny body.

“Pi.. kaaah... CHUUUU!

A dynamic yellow aura of electricity engulfed his entire airborne body, and a bolt of lightning shot directly towards the tired walrein, still sitting on the ground like a beached wailord.

The blistering hot attack heated up the surrounding air, and a booming-loud crackle of thunder resulted.

The devastating electrical attack flew towards Lacey’s water-type pokémon directly with a blinding flash which swallowed up the entire stadium. The crowd was completely silent, apparently in shock at seeing how powerful a little mouse of that size was.

“Now's our chance! Use Endure!” Lacey screamed out at the last possible moment before the crackle of lightning struck her battler.

On command, Walrein shut its eyes tight and withstood the Thunderbolt attack, the painful electric energy coursing through its blubbery body. The ice-type was clearly experiencing excruciating pain, as all users of Endure do, and was noticeably wobbly on its feet after the attack had finished.

Pikachu landed on all-fours after firing his electric attack, looking equally as exhausted after exerting such incredible energy. The burnt-out rodent was huffing and puffing, struggling to retain his balance.

Ash couldn't believe it. What a move Lacey had pulled off... Endure, a move that in reference to its name, allows the pokémon who uses it to endure any finishing attack, preventing it from being knocked out. And the savvy ice trainer had used it at a perfect time... just before Ash and Pikachu had attempted their boom or bust attack.

The boy's heart sank. He had missed his chance. He knew what was going to happen next.

Pikachu was barely able stand by now, all his energy spent on his final Thunderbolt.

“Finish this, Walrein,” Lacey commanded with a satisfied grin. “One last Aurora Beam!”

Its wide snout and hairy clump of blue whiskers were blackened from the heat of Pikachu’s Thunderbolt, but Walrein used its last bit of power to obey its trainer. A rainbow-colored beam of light flew towards the debilitated Pikachu; it wasn't a full-powered attack, but it was all that Walrein could muster... and it would surely be enough.

“No!”

With a sizable explosion, the beam of energy struck Pikachu, sending the tiny creature flying through the air. Ash watched as if it was slow motion as his little buddy crash landed to the ground with a thud.

Ash's shoulders sank. He dropped to his knees. He didn't even have to look at Pikachu to know that he wasn't getting up. Staring straight down at the ground, the words from the referee felt like a punch to the gut as they boomed over the loudspeaker.

“Pikachu is unable to battle, Walrein wins! The Green Trainer, Miss Lacey has won the match!”
    Last edited by Legacy; 27th May 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Fanfic Writer some colour no doubt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

another epic chapter!
    I still wish you let Ash win that one as before, but i guess he can't win them all :p
    There was only one piece of grammar i had a problem with, or it may be me being stupid but this doesnt seem to make sense
    Yes sir. It's crazy I know, but I told know how else to describe what this kid did.”
    did you mean to type but I don't know how?
    Last edited by some colour no doubt; 27th May 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by some colour no doubt View Post
    another epic chapter!
    I still wish you let Ash win that one as before, but i guess he can't win them all :p
    There was only one piece of grammer i had a problem with, or it may be being stupid but this doesnt seem ti make sense

did you mean to type but I don't know how?
    Haha, doh! Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for catching that. I have made the change! Thanks again!

The One and Only Captain Falcon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Um... I think I just noticed an error with Mean Look. Lacey's Jynx would have had to Baton pass it to Glaceon, otherwise it wouldn't have stayed in play. Torkoal wouldn't have fainted and the battle would most likely have come out differently. Ash would likely still have lost, but it might have been a closer battle.
    The one and only Captain Falcon!

Shoddy Battle Server: Online (advanced connect) (IP: 65.13.84.34 Port Number: 1234)
    My shoddy battle status: Offline (Username: 40KEndgame)

Groups:
    Earth Defense Coalition | The 41st Millennium
    Fanfictions:
    Pokemon: Infinite Universes: FireRed/LeafGreen

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Shock! Ash loses to Glacia this time!

Nice chapter, Legs. Keep writing.

Lacia deserved to lose. It seems as if everyone Ash faces is a complete jerk anyway. Jeez, Lacia, learn to lose gracefully. My Platinum team would have won, easy. Ash should also have brought the lucky coin with him.

Also, why is the announcer worried about a deficit?

How do I used tense? SSJ3_Raditz's Avatar

Well, Legacy reviewed my fic, so I guess I should review his.

Anyways, I find this chapter amazing. The battle was done well, and I just can't find anything wrong with it at all.

Well, except for that Perish Song. Three moves and your dead. You took that literally in the fic and Torkoal did indeed get knocked out after three moves, but I find that quite weird. I feel that it implies that the effects of Perish Song will last forever until Torkoal does three attacks or gets returned. While I don't see anything wrong with doing that, I still find it weird.

Anyways, nice chapter as always. Keep writing!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments guys! And thank you so much for reading!

Chapter 7 will include Ash's reaction to his heartbreaking loss. Will he feel good about his close loss to one of the very best in the world? It will explain more about the coin and we will hear more from the mysterious man in the black suit.

Have a great weekend everyone!

May Still Have Hope TeamGalacticMercury's Avatar

NOOOOO!!!!!!!! Ash needs to win! WINNNNNNNNN! Anyway, nice chapter Leg! I loved it!

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)