Poisonous Scars (PG-13 ToxicBolt Shipping)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poisonous Scars (PG-13 ToxicBolt Shipping)

Blog Entries

Default Poisonous Scars (PG-13 ToxicBolt Shipping)

So... someone (Yoshi...) requested I do a ToxicBoltShipping fanfiction (that's Koga x Surge for those who don't know) so here it goes... This isn't gonna be a one-shot, but maybe have 3-4 Chapters... Anyway hope you enjoy!

English is not my first language so mistakes may slip in... Feel free to point them out.

Comments, suggestions, insults, manifestos and rants are welcomed :D

Chapter 1: Wounds

“Raichu is unable to battle,” said the referee, “The victory goes to the gym leader Koga.”

Koga saw the challenger’s head drop and calmly walk towards the unconscious electric pokemon. A lot of thing puzzled Koga about the trainer in front of him. He was older than the average challenger. Koga guessed he was in his late twenties. Koga also noticed that the trainer’s speech patterns were a little bit off and that he clearly wasn’t native of these parts. There was something unsettling about the way he stood, the way he walked, the way he talked. Koga could feel that beneath the challenger’s cold and brawny exterior there was an uneasiness and indecisiveness. Koga’s eyes were fixed on the blond trainer as if he could see through the chinks in his armor by just looking at him.

The gym leader was brought back to reality by a hissing sound. He shook his head and recalled his Arbok back to its pokéball.

“Thank you Arbok,” said Koga, “that was another great battle.”

Koga was about to walk over to the challenger to compliment him on the battle, but what he saw made him stop dead in his tracks. The challenger dropped to his knees. His entire body was shaking as if each spasm was an attempt to fight back the tears forming behind his eyes. Just as Koga was about to call out to him, he heard the strained voice of the trainer.

“I’m sorry Raichu,” said the defeated challenger who picked up his pokémon and ran out the gym door.

Koga was captivated by how much the trainer seemed to care about his pokemon. He was quickly brought back to reality by a loud crash followed by the sound of soft sobbing coming from outside the room.

“Janine,” screamed Koga as he sprinted towards the open door.

Once in the corridor, his eyes first went to his seven years old daughter clutching her leg. He knew that she usually liked to hide behind the door and spy on his gym battles. When his opponent ran through the door he had run into her. He wiped the tears of her rosy cheeks with his crimson scarf while holding his daughter tight. He was startled when he heard his challenger sobbing behind him. He turned around to see the blond man in tears cradling his hurt Raichu.

“I…” started the trainer, “fell on him”

Koga walked over to him put his hand on the trainer’s shoulder. Surprised by the contact, the trainer almost instinctively pushed the gym leader away.

“Sorry…” started Koga, “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“I just don’t like to be touched,” answered defensively the blond man.

Never once letting go of his injured pokemon, never once taking his eyes off it, the man rose up clearly in shock.

“Is she okay?” he started in a trembling voice, “I didn’t see her. I’m sorry.”

“That’s quite alright,” said Koga as he picked his daughter in his arms and started walking away, “Come with me. I have some medicine for your Raichu.”

Both men walked the empty hallways of the gym in silence. Koga was pondering why he went to such lengths for this trainer. He didn’t usually help challengers this way but there was something about this one that intrigued him. He couldn’t quite put his finger on it but there was something about this challenger that bothered him. Perhaps it was the way he clutched to his injured pokemon. Koga’s eyes lingered on the injured Raichu resting in the trainer’s two strong muscular arms. The gym leader himself wasn’t sure which held his attention more.

“What am I doing?” thought a blushing Koga as he tried to push those thoughts away.

Koga first stopped in front of Janine’s room and told his daughter to get ready for bed.

“I’ll be back later to tuck you in,” protectively said Koga, “Say goodbye to Mr…”

“Surge,” said the blond as he picked up the hesitation of the gym leader, “Call me Surge.”

“Good night Mister Surge,” timidly replied the little girl halfway hidden being her father’s legs.

Surge nodded and answered the little girl with a pained smile which prompted her to run inside her room. Koga nodded to Surge to follow him to the infirmary. Surge gently put the injured electric pokemon on the stainless steel table. Koga moved over to retrieve some ointments and balms from a cabinet on the other side of the room. As Koga was examining the Raichu’s wounds, he saw it wincing a few times.

“He’s been poisoned,” said Koga, “don’t worry, I have the antidote here.”

Koga turned and addressed a comforting smile to Surge, but he saw the blond trainer completely lost in thought.

“How do you know so much about healing pokemon?” Koga heard the defeated challenger say.

“It’s part of my ninja training. We had to learn to use different types of poisons and how to counter them with the right antidotes,” matter-of-factly answered Koga.

Surge stared is silence as he watched the ninja treat his pokemon’s wounds.

“Not again,” he thought, “I can’t lose you too Raichu.”

Images kept flashing in Surge’s mine, images of a past he desperately wanted to forget. A shadow crept on his face as the setting sun slowly tinted the room in a golden hue. Surge was brought out of his reverie by the sounds of the gym leader removing his gloves.

“Your Raichu will be fine,” confidently said Koga, “He just needs to rest for the night.”

“I can’t thank you enough. Had anything happened to the little guy, if anything…” trailed off Surge.

Both men stayed immobile in silence as they watched the electric pokémon fall asleep. Both desperately wanted the rodent’s breathing to become more regular, more peaceful. Koga looked at the man standing next to him clutching on his pokémon’s paw. Koga noticed his eyes closing slowly at close intervals.

“You should stay here for the night,” said Koga, “Follow me, I’ll show you to the guest bedroom.”

As Koga followed Surge outside of the infirmary, he turned around to close the door. The gym leader then moved down the lengthy corridor that travelled the length of his gym. The ninja turned right as they had reached their destination. Koga set his hand on the wooden frame of the paper door and slid it open. Once inside, he installed a futon in the middle of them room and swiftly made the bed.

“Please rest here for tonight,” said Koga as rose up and motioned to leave the room.

Koga left the room and as he turned around to closed he saw the blond trainer remove his shirt and throw it on the floor next to the mattress. Koga was breathless as he could see pearls of sweat sliding down the trainer’s back. Koga slid the door close before his guest could turn around and see his now rosy cheeks ablaze.

As Koga walked back to his daughter’s room to tuck her in and wish her goodnight, the image he’d just seen kept flashing into his mind. He tried pushing it away but at the same time, he wondered what bothered him so about it.

Koga entered his daughter’s room and found her in pyjamas, ready for bed. He sat on the bed and tucked her in.

“Do you want me to read you a story?” dotingly asked Koga.

His daughter nodded. He never needed a book. He always invented stories when it was Janine’s bedtime. She loved to hear stories about noble samurais and tricky ninjas rising to ruthless feudal lords. Every night, she’d be transported to the battlefields of centuries past where a pure hearted warrior’s sword would cut through entire armies to protect his fair beloved; she’d be swept by stories of assassins garbed in shadows investing fortresses under the cover of night; she’d drift into sleep to her father’s loving voice. Janine always loved these moments. These were the only times she saw her father smile; where she saw some twinkle in his eyes; where she was sure, beyond any doubt, that her father loved her.

Once he made sure she was asleep, Koga rose and left the room. As he entered the darkened hallway, he took precautions to not make the floorboards creak. He stopped first by the infirmary to check on his injured patient. The gym leader wondered how long it had been since he’d taken care of someone else’s pokemon; since he’d actually put his skills to use.

“Has is really been eight years?” thought Koga.

While Koga had trained all his life in the ninja arts, the time where actual assassins stormed castles was long gone. Nowadays, ninjas studied how to adapt ancient techniques to modern warfare. They learned how to use pokemon to disorient and hinder their opponents. He now used the same tactics on his opponents to a lesser extent in his gym battles and the pokémon sleeping in front of him was living proof of how effective they were. But he’d turned away from that world eight years ago when the woman he loved told him she was expecting a child.

“Chiyome…” thought Koga wincing at the very moment the name came to his mind.

Satisfied with the pokémon’s condition, Koga turned off the lights and left the room. He walked back to his room. As he was about to open the door to his room, he heard a noise coming from the room opposite his; Surge’s room. He slowly turned around and walked towards the guest room. He heard a pained muffled cry and tears. He recognized the deep voice of the trainer he’d invited to stay. He slid the door to the trainer’s room open and entered in the shadowy bedroom. Koga saw the blond man trashing around in his sleep.

“Not again… get away…” whispered a still asleep Surge, “I can’t lose him too…”

Koga kneeled next to his guest’s mattress. After unsuccessfully calling out to the slumbering stranger, the gym leader tried to gently shake him in order to wake him up. Koga hesitated before putting his hands on Surge but seeing the feverish face of his guest, he knew he had no other choice. Koga grabbed Surge’s shoulder and started delicately rocking him to snap him out of his nightmare. As he felt the ninja’s fingers touch his skin, Surge’s eyes shot open and in a moment of panic, he gripped Koga’s neck and held him against the wall. Koga could see Surge’s blue eyes being lit by anger.

“No not anger,” thought Koga as he realized that what he saw in Surge’s eyes was fear and confusion.

Koga felt the man’s grip tighten around his throat. Almost unable to move, Koga tried to wriggle himself out on this bind but to no avail. With his arms he pounded on Surge’s chest desperately trying to grab to his naked assailant, to push him away. He felt his right hand grab unto small metallic object that he yanked off almost by reflex.

“Surge, please…” said the distressed gym leader, “You’re… hurting me.”

When he heard those words, Surge’s eyes shot wide open as if he’d suddenly remembered where he was. He immediately completely let go of Koga and stayed kneeling on the floor completely immobile. Koga rose up and had to muster all of his willpower not to hit the man in from of him but something stopped him. The kneeling man in front of him was sobbing profusely.

“I’m sorry,” started Koga, “I heard noise coming from your room and thought you were in pain. I only wanted to check up on you.”

Koga turned away and left the man crying on the floor of the guest bedroom. As Koga closed the door to his room, he finally felt safe.

“This is what you get for helping people,” thought Koga.

As he removed his scarf, the gym leader realized he was still hanging on to the two small metallic objects he grabbed off his guest. He opened his right hand and noticed two small military dog tags.

“So he was in the American army,” thought Koga, “a lieutenant at that…”

After putting the tags next to his bed, Koga removed his clothes and went to bed. As he tried to fall asleep, he wondered what the army man had witnessed; what he’d gone through. Koga uneasily went to sleep as questions flew around his head.

“Who is this man?” Koga asked himself, “Why do I care so much about what he went through?”
    Last edited by Hellion; 26th September 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yoshi-san on Tumblr

Default Re: Poisonous Scars (PG-13 ToxicBolt Shipping)

*withholds his fangasm*

Wow this is awesome! This is totally different than the way i write the pair but I love it nevertheless! Can wait for Chapter 2!

I should be getting to my fic

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comment... notice the singular... NOT THAT I'M BITTER PEOPLE :D Anyway, here I give Chapter 2 to my fan (again... note the singular >____>)

Chapter 2: Skirmishes

Koga woke up the same way he’d gone to sleep the night before. He was feeling tense and confused. As he pushed the covers off of him, the events of the prior evening kept flashing in his mind. It was almost as if he could still feel Surge’s fingers tightening around his throat. As he made his bed, Koga kept glancing at the two military dog tags lying next to the futon. They brought more questions than answers as to who this trainer was.

After pocketing the two shiny metallic pieces of the puzzle that was Surge, he got out of his room and made his way to the infirmary.

“If I can’t fix the trainer,” thought Koga, “I’ll at least be able to fix the pokémon.”

As he slid the door open, his stomach dropped. Raichu was no longer on the examination table. Still wearing only pyjama bottoms, Koga frantically ran through his deserted house trying to find either the pokémon or its trainer. Suddenly, a noise outside caught his attention. Koga could recognize this sound amongst any other as it was the laughter of his daughter Janine. Koga put his hand on the door’s wooden frame and slid it open to reveal the 7 years old playing with the electric rodent. Koga couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief.

Koga soon felt the cold morning breeze gently caress his skin. As he rubbed his arms, he turned back into the house to get dressed and start his day. Just as he entered the house, he bumped into the sturdy frame of his guest leaving both men startled and staring at the other.

“You look cold,” awkwardly said Surge trying to avoid looking the gym leader in the eyes.

“I was on my way to get properly dressed,” said Koga in a neutral tone as he passed by the American, “Your Raichu’s injuries have been fully healed. He’s outside playing with my daughter.”

“I…” started Surge but Koga was already nearing his bedroom leaving him alone in the hallway.

The American trainer peeked outside and saw a little girl happily playing in a pile of crimson leaves with an electric rodent.

“At least one of us is able to make friends easily,” whispered Surge as he tightened his olive green jacket and stepped outside. He walked towards the electric mouse. The both of them had been through a lot together of the years and they always knew they could depend on each other. As he approached the little girl and the pokémon, the latter stopped rolling around on the ground and ran towards his trainer. Surge caught the pokémon in his arms and looked it sternly into the eyes.

“You shouldn’t overdo it you know,” caringly said the American, “You gave me quite a scare yesterday.”

The rodent smiled as he rested his head on Surge’s chest in acknowledgement. The trainer then heard the voice of the little girl he had run into the day before.

“I’m sorry,” said the gym leader’s daughter, “I just wanted to play with Raichu and I didn’t think he might still be injured.”

“It’s not a problem,” jokingly said the brawny American flashing an awkward smile as he went back inside the gym, “You can play with him while I go get my stuff.”

“You’re leaving?” asked the little girl as she clutched the American’s pokemon, “But if you leave then Raichu will leave with you. We were getting to be such good friends.”

Surge looked at the young girl and he could see the sadness in her eyes. He didn’t have the heart to tell her they’d probably never see each other again. He was puzzled by the little girl’s display of emotions. He always worked so hard to never show any kind of weakness that it felt weird for him to see someone bare their hearts. The little girl’s innocence disarmed him. He gave her an uneasy smile and retreated towards the house.

As he entered back into the gym he went back to the guest room to pick up his things. As he looked around, he kept having this feeling stuck in the back of his mind that he was forgetting something. He went trough his green bag and found nothing amiss. Convinced he was imagining things, the American picked up his bag and started to make his way back to the inner courtyard to retrieve his companion.

He found Koga in the hallway leaning against the wall. Surge saw he was wearing ninja clothing, similar to the one he had worn the previous day. Koga held out his left hand in front of him.

“I hope you didn’t intend to leave without this,” said Koga as he opened his palm revealing the military dog tags that he’d ripped off Surge the night before.

“How?” stuttered a shaken Surge.

Koga noticed how the sight of the two pieces of shiny metal had affected Surge. He noticed the American’s hand slowly shaking as he retrieved the items. He violently stuffed them in his pocket and nearly ran from Koga.

“Where are you going?” sternly said Koga before adding softly, “I don’t know where you intend to go, but I can assure you that whatever you’re running away from won’t disappear.”

Surge’s eyes shot open as he let those words sink in. He was frozen in place as he felt Koga get near him. Surge was confused. Every word coming from the gym leader’s mouth was like a stab in the chest. The American felt as though wounds he long thought closed were slowly opening again. He desperately wanted to run away but he was paralyzed. Something about the gym leader’s voice held him in place.

Surge turned around to face Koga. He expected to see reproach and despise in the gym leader’s eyes but strangely felt at ease when he met his gaze. The American felt his heartbeat go faster.

“You don’t know anything about me,” retorted Surge as he tried to get a hold of his nerves, “I’m grateful for the hospitality, but don’t think it gives you the right to go snoop around my business.”

Koga chuckled. There was something unnerving about the gym leader’s smirk.

“I know you are a soldier,” calmly answered Koga, “Your walk, your stance, your clothes, everything about you says you’re a soldier. Just like everything about you says you’re still bearing the scars of battles past.”

“Guess you got a pretty good look last night,” answered an increasingly flippant Surge.

The American was getting tired of the gym leader’s attitude. Whatever fear and panic he had felt upon seeing the tags was now slowly dissolving into an ocean of anger. The blonde could feel his blood boiling.

“You and I both know this isn’t the kind of scars I was referring to,” said Koga, “I don’t know what you’re carrying around on your shoulders, but the answer isn’t out there. Do you want to know why I beat you yesterday?”

Surge stayed silent, eagerly waiting the gym leader’s answer.

“You’re a skilled trainer and your pokémon are well taken care of,” continued Koga, “but I could feel your uncertainty and hesitation from across the field. You questioned yourself and every decision you made. It felt like you were fighting your own fears more than you were trying to defeat my pokémon. Tell me, what are so afraid…”

Koga never could finish his question as Surge knocked the wind out of him with one punch. The gym leader held his stomach in pain as he watched the America run towards the courtyard where his pokémon was playing. As Koga fell to his knees, he noticed something glistening on the floor. A trail of teardrops littered the wooden floor.

As Surge stepped outside he could feel a river running down his cheeks.

“I’ve never felt so angry,” thought Surge as he wiped away the tears with his hand, “Well, not since…”

Surge cursed himself. Everything brought him back to that night, to that battle, to the moment his whole life was shattered into pieces.

“Why are you crying sir?” Surge heard the quiet little voice of Janine ask.

Surge laid his tear filled eyes on the 7 year old and no answer came to his mind.

“Is it something I did?” asked again the little girl.

“No you didn’t do anything wrong,” said Surge, trying to be as reassuring as he could.

Surge’s Raichu came forward and gently nudged his head against his trainer’s leg. Surge patted the electric mouse and gave him a weak smile. He could see that the little girl was worried about him. Surge’s eyes shot open when he heard Koga call out his daughter and asked her to go inside.

“Bye Raichu I hope I see you again,” said the smiling little girl, “I hope you’ll be better soon mister.”

Surge watched the little girl leave his side and go past her father back into the house. He saw Koga steadily approaching him. Surge shot a defiant look at the gym leader. He didn’t want to face Koga again. But Surge knew that it wasn’t the gym leader he didn’t want to face, it was everything that had led him there. He glanced at Koga’s face and saw something in his black eyes that shocked him. He saw genuine concern. Surge wondered how long it had been since someone had actually cared about him. Both men stayed silent for a minute just staring at each other.

“You’re right,” said Surge finally breaking the silence, “There is something I am running away from. I don’t want to talk about it and I don’t want to deal with it.”

Koga stood in silence, listening to the man crying in front of him.

“I just,” started Surge, “want to be a better trainer for Raichu, for all my pokémon and I don’t think I can do it alone.”

“That’s a good start,” said Koga as the wind made his long red scarf dance, “I’d be more than happy to let you stay here in the meantime.”

Both trainers blushed as they locked eyes. Koga quickly averted his gaze and looked to the horizon.

“I know for a fact it would make Janine happy to spend a little more time with Raichu and you,” quickly added Koga hoping to diffuse the tension.

Surge smiled and nodded in agreement. He felt a warm feeling sweep over him. For the first time in a long while, he didn’t feel like he had to run away. For the first time in a long while, he felt as though he had found a place he could call home.
    Last edited by Hellion; 8th October 2010 at 07:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Awww Poor Surge! This is really good! Can't wait for the next chapter!

I guess this makes me fan #2

Koga seems totally in character, however I don't see this with Surge... Hopefully the next couple chapters explain his motivations a little more.

Good story so far though!

Minor conplaint: it got to be a little grating when you kept referring to Surge as "the American"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post

Koga seems totally in character, however I don't see this with Surge... Hopefully the next couple chapters explain his motivations a little more.

Minor conplaint: it got to be a little grating when you kept referring to Surge as "the American"
    In his defense, Surge doesn't have much of a character in the first place in the games. Plus I like that Surge has some inner demons of his own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Yay

Part of what I wanted to capture is the East meets West element of TBS, so Koga is more traditional, more reserved, more composed, while Surge is more emotional, more hot blooded. That being said I also wanted to explore why an American soldier would be a gym leader in the middle of Japan Kanto. How those two met, how they fell in love, what they found in each other.

It's an origin story. By the end, the Surge you'll see will be much closer to the Surge you know.

Will work on it.

- - - - - -

@Karpi... The American has been reduced and Surge is already more in character than before. :D

Ok, well sorry to keep my 2 fans waiting (Yay! I get to use the plural!!! Woot Woot!)

WARNING WARNING: This Chapter is incredibly long, full of fluff and may contain cheesiness.

As always, comments, suggestions, contructive criticism, complains, whining, letter of glowing admirations and flame baiting is welcome. Comment!

- - - - - - -

Chapter 3: Stories

“Golbat!” screamed Koga from across the battlefield, “Fly up and use Toxic.”

The blue bat nodded and climbed upwards. It started swirling before releasing an eerie liquid from its gaping mouth. As the violet substance hit the ground, it released fumes that surrounded its opponent. The gym leader smirked as he saw the Voltorb in front of him breath in the poisonous smoke.

“Voltorb,” said Surge, “Try to escape from the cloud by using Rollout.”

The ball pokémon winced in pain, but still moved forward towards his opponent trying to gain speed and momentum. Voltorb escaped the toxic cloud and charged towards the bat pokémon. Surge turned his attention to the gym leader and noticed he was smiling again.

“Golbat,” said Koga confidently, “use Confuse Ray!”

Golbat’s eyes started glowing with a purple hue. Soon, its entire body was surrounded by a ghostly violet aura and the bat pokémon let out a purple ray that hit his foe. The rolling Voltorb soon wobbled and veered off course, hitting a wall in the process. On top of Voltorb’s apparent confusion, Surge noticed that his pokémon kept looking hurt.

“It must be poisoned,” said Surge as he felt more and more useless.

Every time he battled against Koga, he never felt in control; as if his fate and that of his pokémon were totally out of his hands. From their first battle, he always felt like he did nothing but let his pokémon down.

“Do you give up?” confidently asked Koga from across the battlefield, “This is just a practice battle after all.”

Surge was shaking as he raised his right hand and pointed a pokéball towards his injured Voltorb.

“Don’t give up Mister Surge,” screamed Koga’s daughter Janine, “I know you can do it.”

Surge smiled as he realized there was at least one person who wouldn’t let him get away with a defeatist attitude. He didn’t want to disappoint the little girl standing on the sidelines tightly hugging his Raichu.

Invigorated by Janine’s cheers, Surge concentrated once again on the field in front of him. Knowing his pokemon wouldn’t last long, Surge knew there was only one thing he could do. He hated being reduced to this extreme measure. With his lower lip quivering, he pronounced the words that made him feel like he had failed his pokemon.

“Voltorb,” declared Surge, “Self-destruct.”

Surge waited for a few seconds as he hoped that Voltorb had heard him despite his confusion. Suddenly, as if his prayers had been answered, Voltorb began to glow in a bright white light. As Voltorb was charging towards Golbat, the light grew brighter and brighter until the spherical pokemon released the energy it had built up. A thunderous explosion broke the silence of the gym engulfing the battlefield in a cloud of smoke. Surge noticed that Voltorb was immobile on the field. He raised Voltorb’s pokéball and recalled the unconscious pokémon. He stared guiltily at the small metallic ball resting in his right hand.

On the other side of the field, Koga noticed Golbat falling to ground as it escaped the dust cloud. Koga noticed that his pokémon was scorched and trembling.

“You did a good job Golbat,” softly said the thankful gym leader as he recalled his pokémon.

Both trainers looked at each other, neither wanting to give up on this battle. Koga smiled as he grabbed a pokéball from his pocket and threw it on the battlefield. As it opened, it released a long purple reptile.

“Remember Arbok?” asked Koga, “I don’t think you’ve battled against it since you first came here.”

Surge gulped as he saw the violet snake. He flashed back to his first night in Fuchsia City when his Raichu had been heavily injured. He remembered how Koga had cared for and healed his pokemon. He didn’t want the put Raichu through that ordeal again.

The sounds of crackling sparks in front of him let Surge know that he didn’t have a choice in the matter. Raichu had made its way to the battlefield, ready to do battle. Surge, still shaken from seeing Voltorb faint, was almost paralyzed.

“You can do it Raichu,” gleefully cheered Janine from the sidelines.

Surge regained a bit of composure as he realized that he needed to keep his calm. Panic had already led him to make mistakes that still haunted him to this day and Surge was determined not to let Raichu be one more.

“You’re not going to make the first move?” calmly said Koga, “Then allow me. Arbok, use Poison Fang.”

The giant, violet pokemon slithered swiftly across the field with its gaping mouth glowing with an eerie purple hue. Surge could see that Raichu was unnerved by the monstrous appearance of his adversary.

“Raichu,” calmly said Surge, “Trust me and don’t move.”

Raichu remained immobile as Arbok’s poisonous fangs clamped tightly around his side. The electric pokemon let out a pained scream that sent shivers down Surge’s spine. He had to force himself not to look away.

“Raichu,” commanded Surge, “push Arbok back with Shockwave.”

The electric pokémon’s cheeks began to emit a crackling sound. Bright yellow sparks fused everywhere and sent the violet snake flying. As the poisonous pokemon tried to get up, he found himself unable to move.

“Did you forget that as you hit Raichu, its static electricity can cause paralysis to its opponent?” rhetorically asked Surge.

Surge smile was quickly wiped off as he saw Raichu wince in pain.

“No more than you forgot that my Arbok’s fangs carry very powerful venom that can badly poison its opponent,” matter-of-factly answered Koga.

Surge shot a determined look at Koga. The gym leader could see fire and respect in his challenger’s eyes from across the battlefield.

“He’s really become more adept at battling and mastering his emotions,” thought Koga, “There’s just this one thing that’s still holding him back. Surge… I can’t help you if you won’t tell me.”

“Raichu!” screamed Surge, “We have to finish this quick and so get in close with Volt Tackle.”

Raichu’s yellow cheeks once again let out an enormous amount of electricity as he charged towards the immobile poison pokemon. Suddenly, the sparks seemed to completely cover the electric rodent’s body as he was picking up speed. Surge smiled as he finally thought he had the gym leader cornered. Surge was quickly disillusioned by Koga’s own smile.

“Arbok,” ordered the former ninja, “dodge by using Dig.”

The snake pokemon burrowed itself into the soft earthy battlefield. Raichu stopped dead in its tracks, losing the energy he had been building up.

“Surprised?” asked Koga, “Did you forget that Arbok can overcome paralysis by shedding its skin?”

Surge noticed a transparent membrane lying on the ground next to the hole Arbok had just disappeared into. Surge wanted to order Raichu to counterattack but deep down he felt as though Koga had already won the battle. Arbok reappeared from beneath Raichu and no sooner had the gym leader called for the snake pokémon to use its Venom Shock attack, Surge knew he had lost. After the dust had settled, he had lost yet again.

Surge marched down the battlefield to check up on his unconscious Raichu. Shallow wounds and a small fever were all that he noticed, nothing that he couldn’t treat. Over the months he had stayed in Fuchsia City, Surge had trained in more than just pokémon battles. Koga had him study tactics, first aid and meditation. The reckless American he’d once been had traded the camouflage outfits for a cotton kimono, had read more books in a few weeks than he’d read in his entire life. He felt what he’s so rarely felt before in his life.

“Is Raichu going to be okay?” inquired the worried gym leader.

“Just a few scrapes here and there you know?” replied Surge as he recalled the wounded pokémon to its pokéball, “Nothing a good rest and a sip of my sensational healing potion won’t be able to cure.”

“Your potions?” teased Koga.

“Well, you maybe have assisted me in the creation,” answered a grinning Surge.

“Please, those are all my recipes,” replied the gym leader, “and seven months ago, you couldn’t even brew tea to save your life let alone medicine.”

After a brief yet comfortable moment of silence, both men looked at each other, neither of them able to hold back their laughter. That was part of what Surge liked about the gym leader, that whenever it was just them, even in silence, there was never awkwardness. Surge looked into Koga’s black eyes and blushed a little bit. He turned away hoping that the gym leader hadn’t noticed.

Surge couldn’t believe it had been seven months but the blooming cherry blossoms betrayed the fact that fall had come and gone and that the howling winds of winters soon made way for the warm spring breezes.

“Well Koga, maybe you should clean this battlefield up,” said Surge, “We might have challengers tomorrow.”

“And here I thought the loser cleans up after the battle,” replied Koga.

“Well, your Arbok is the one who dug a hole in the middle of the field,” confidently argued Surge, “Plus, I was thinking of making my infamous spaghetti sauce tonight.”

“Very well,” replied the gym leader trying to look disgruntled, “Sounds like tonight will yet another one of Surge’s Special Spaghetti Saturdays.”

“We can’t,” screamed the little girl who had made her way to meet them, “I don’t want some stupid spaghetti.”

“Janine!” sternly interrupted her father clearly shocked at his daughter’s reaction.

“But I thought you liked spaghetti night,” said Surge as he crouched to meet the little girl eye to eye.

“I do,” replied the little girl who started sobbing, “but not tonight.”

“Janine,” asked Koga as he too crouched, “What’s so special about tonight?”

“You forgot,” replied his daughter, crying and screaming, “You forgot about her.”

Both men were left startled as they watched Janine run out of the room. Surge felt incredibly uneasy as he turned to look at Koga. The gym leader’s face was white as a sheet. Surge had never seen Koga, usually so calm and collected, this livid before. His eyes shot opened as he heard the gym leader utter one name; Chiyome.

“Who’s Chiyome?” tentatively asked Surge.

“Janine’s mother,” replied Koga in a robotic manner, “Today wouldn’t be March 31rst now would it?”

Surge silently nodded in agreement. He ran his left hand through his sandy blond hair, unsure of what to say. He was so confused. He’d never heard Koga talk about Janine’s mother. He didn’t know who she was, where she was, what she looked like. A maelstrom of questions whirled around his head and yet no words came out of his mouth.

“Today’s the anniversary of her death,” slowly and painfully said Koga, “She died when Janine was just 4. Every year, on this day, we usually go and pay a visit to her grave.”

Surge stood in place as he watched a zombie-like Koga walk towards the door leading to his daughter’s room. He wanted to follow him, he wanted to tell Janine how sorry he was but he felt like he’d be intruding. For the first time since moving in to the gym, he felt that this wasn’t his place; that Koga and Janine weren’t family. There was something else bothering him, when he heard the news of her death, he had felt somewhat relieved. While he hated himself for feeling this way, he hated even more the questions it raised.

After cleaning and fixing the battlefield, Surge made his way to the kitchen. He started preparing the ingredients for dinner. He wondered if Koga and Janine would join him or if they would go for a late visit to her mother’s grave. He decided to go to Janine’s bedroom to ask both of them if they were hungry. He tiptoed across the central hallway and stopped in front of the bedroom door. He could hear voices coming from inside.

“You forgot about her,” said Janine obviously still upset, “You were so busy training with Mister Surge that you forgot about her anniversary.”

“I don’t know how many times I can say I’m sorry Janine,” softly replied Koga, “It might be late but we could still go if you want.”

“How do you think mom feels?” asked the sobbing 8 years old girl, “She probably thinks we abandoned her; that we don’t love her anymore. It’s because of Surge.”

To the eavesdropping trainer, Janine’s words hurt more than he ever thought possible. Just this morning she was always smiling at him. He turned and walked away from the door; unable to hear more.

Inside the room, Koga was taken aback by his daughter’s words.

“What do you mean?” he asked, “What does Surge have to do with this? I thought you liked him.”

“I do,” she said, “but he makes you laugh.”

“And that’s a bad thing?” asked the gym leader, surprised by his daughter’s reaction.

“Yes,” said the little girl, “because before he came here, you only used to smile like this when you talked to me or when you talked about mom.”

Koga was shocked as he heard her say those words, but somehow they rang true. He didn’t know how, but over the months, Surge presence had made Koga open up more. He’d been so busy being the perfect father, the perfect trainer and the perfect gym leader. He had found it refreshing to be around someone who didn’t care if he was perfect. He had noticed that his mind wandered more and more to the intriguing and mysterious trainer who had walked into his and Janine’s lives. He smiled and that smile frightened him.

Koga slowly grabbed Janine’s hand and looked her deep in the eyes.

“I’ll always love your mother in one way or another,” said Koga, “because she gave me the most wonderful gift I’ve ever received.”

“What was it?” said the teary little girl; shyly smiling as she figured out what her father’s answer would be.

“You,” he answered, “and nobody can take that away. But the way I love her now, it’s different than the way I loved her before. It’s not the same. I don’t know if you understand.”

The little girl nodded in silence and hugged her father. He could see that his daughter was still crying but that she at least partially understood what was happening.

“She understands it even better than I do,” thought Koga.

“Can you tell me a story?” pleaded Janine, “But one about mom.”

Koga smiled as he told his daughter about his and her mother’s first date, about their first walk under the moonlight, about their wedding. He made his daughter smile and laugh. In the end, he just stroked her hair as he watched his exhausted daughter falling asleep.

The gym leader exited his daughter’s bedroom and immediately smelled the distinct aroma of Surge’s cooking. Following his nose he swiftly made his way to the kitchen only to find it deserted. He turned off the oven and looked around to find any sign of the cook. Janine’s words still weighing heavily on his mind, Koga seemed to begin to realize that he wanted to see Surge’s warm eyes.

“I can’t,” thought Koga, “He’s my student and he’s here to learn about pokémon not to...”

The gym leader’s thoughts trailed off. Janine’s words made him realize what he’d always known. That there was something about Surge he desired. He wanted to be near him, to talk to him, to touch him. Koga’s cheeks turned crimson as he kept thinking back to Surge. But at the bottom of his soul, he still wondered whether or not Surge felt the same way about him. Was he only staying in Fuchsia City to learn about pokémon and get stronger? There was so much about the man he didn’t know.

Koga heard noises outside and followed them to the courtyard. There in the moonlight stood the blond trainer. Koga’s gaze lingered a moment on Surge’s body seemingly shimmering with a silvery aura. The gym leader noticed the pensive look on Surge’s face like something was bothering him.

“Been there long?” playfully asked Surge; interrupting Koga’s inner monologue.

“Not really,” awkwardly answered Koga, “Janine’s just gone to sleep and I came to look for you.”

Koga wanted to tell Surge how he felt but doubt still lingered within his heart. He decided to make a bold move to find the answer.

“I wanted to give you this,” said Koga holding a small piece of metal to Surge.

Startled, the trainer picked up the small pink heart-shaped pin and held it in the moonlight.

“It’s the soul badge,” explained the gym leader, “You need seven others like this to enter in the Indigo League.”

“I can’t take this,” stammered Surge, “I didn’t beat you yet.”

“Today’s battle proved that there’s nothing left for me to teach you,” said the gym leader, “You’re more than ready to take on the other gyms and the League.”

Both men looked at each other in silence; both hoping to see a sign in the other’s expression that would tell them this wasn’t goodbye. Both were desperately trying to fight off the urge to grab the other in their arms and never let go.

“Is it Janine?” inquired Surge delicately, “Does she want me to go? I will if that’s what she wants, I’ll leave.”

“No, she likes you and Raichu a lot,” reassured Koga, “she just misses her mother.”

“Do you miss her?” tentatively asked Surge.

“I miss Janine not knowing her. I miss Chiyome not seeing her daughter growing up into the beautiful young woman I know she’ll become,” answered Koga, “but I think I’m ready to let her go.”

Surge blushed. He stood there and listened to the man he felt closest to do the thing he’d never been able to do; move on. As he was staring at the pink badge in his hand, Surge remembered all the events that led him here. They still haunted him like ghosts rattling chains every night. The badge felt so heavy in his hand. Surge wondered if he’d ever be as strong as the man who had handed it to him.

“She died of ovarian cancer,” continued Koga, “it was so sudden, so fast. She felt like a meteor traveling to August sky and then nothing. No light, no movement, nothing, she was gone.”

Koga moved closer to Surge until they were almost face-to-face, both shaking with trepidation. Both stared at the other in silence, both wondering if the other could break the silence, could make the first move. The hot-bloodedness and impatience of the American made him move almost involuntarily and as he grabbed Koga’s shoulder with one hand and his neck with the other. Surge pulled the ninja close to him. Taking the gym leader’s lack of protest as an invitation, Surge let out the passion that had slowly been building inside of him for months and kissed Koga. The velvet feel of the ninja’s lips sent shivers down his spine. He felt Koga kiss back and being more and more and more active. Surge felt Koga’s fingers wander through his blond hair.

Koga pulled away and looked at Surge hesitantly.

“It’s…” stammered the gym leader, “my first time with…”

“It’s not mine” interrupted Surge, “A few years ago, there was someone else, someone for whom I would have been ready to lay my life down. We both grew up in the same little town in Nebraska. We both joined the army at the same time. We were placed in the same unit.”

Koga couldn’t take his eyes off of Surge. Each of his words resonated in Koga like an echo.

“We shared everything on and off the line of duty,” said Surge, “and then… that night happened. We were ambushed. I was the only one who made it out alive; not because I fought better or harder, just because they let me. I don’t know why they did. Perhaps they realized that after seeing the one person I had truly love die, there was nothing left of me to kill.”

Koga’s caressed the side of Surge’s face and wipe the single tear that was trickling down his cheek. Surge looked away. The proud American hated being so vulnerable, so open but at the same time he felt at ease with Koga.

“Every night, I just get transported back there. I see bullets raining on my comrades and I; I see explosives setting the night sky ablaze and I hear the noise, the horrible noise of my teammates crying out in pain,” said Surge, “Every night, I tell myself that if only I’d been faster, if only I’d been stronger, if only I’d kept my nerves in check, if only…”

Koga leaned in and kissed him, interrupting Surge’s guilt fueled logorrhea. The gym leader then lost his footing and fell to the ground, taking Surge down with him. As they both hit the cold and hard courtyard ground, Koga found himself on top of Surge. The gym leader looked deeply into the eyes of the person beneath him.

“I felt the same way,” said Koga, “When she died, I cursed myself for being alive. I wanted to take her place. But I looked at Janine and realized that I wasn’t just living for myself. I had to get my mind together for her. That’s what I felt when I battle you, you’re not there yet but I have no doubt you’ll get there; both for your pokémon’s sake and your own.”

Koga got up and helped Surge to get off the ground. As both were heading back towards the gym, they both stayed awkwardly silent; neither knowing how this night would unfold. Deciding to throw caution to the wind, Koga grabbed Surge’s hand and led him to his bedroom.

“For the first time in my life,” said Koga, “I don’t want to think things through.”

- - - - - - -

The next morning, Koga woke up to Janine crying as she tried to wake him up.

“What’s wrong?” caringly asked her father trying to hide his naked body under the covers.

“It’s Mister Surge,” said Janine, “I went to his room to apologize for yesterday and see how Raichu was doing and he wasn’t there. All of his stuff was gone.”

Koga’s eyes shot open as he heard the news. Confused and stilly sleepy, he looked around trying to find some clue that would tell him whether the previous evening with Surge was only a dream. He was convinced it had happened. Surge’s smell still lingered on the sheets; he could still feel Surge’s tongue running on his body. Right next to the bed, Koga spotted something that made his heart sink. He recognized the shiny pink heart shaped silhouette of the Soul Badge lying upon a sheet of paper. On it, in black ink were written three words that broke Surge’s heart.

Sorry, I can’t.

- - - - - - - -

See I warned you it was superlong and cheesy!

Anyway... epilogue/Chapter 4 will be posted on November 17th!

So for the brave few who've read it all. What do you think?

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

I still don't know quite what to think with this story. The underlying sexual tension between Koga and Surge is not usual and is pretty creepy. However, the queerness (ha, get it :)) of the tale is somewhat alluring because it is unexpected and interesting to a degree. The writing, characters and plot are all satisfying and I will look out for the next chapter.

I can be fan #3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 999remew View Post
    I still don't know quite what to think with this story. The underlying sexual tension between Koga and Surge is not usual and is pretty creepy.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Could you elaborate a bit. It would help me out.

However, the queerness (ha, get it :)) of the tale is somewhat alluring because it is unexpected and interesting to a degree. The writing, characters and plot are all satisfying and I will look out for the next chapter.

I can be fan #3.
    Yay!!!

Blog Entries

You pulled a Sex In The City ending you jerk!!!

*shot*

Anyway I love it! Especially the Janine/Surge interactions and Koga's past with his late wife.

The Koga/Surge parts were awesome and fluffy! I love the WAFF trope like BURNING so I enjoyed every bit of it!

Seems like the next chapter is on my birthday so I bet it would be the best gift EVER!

I love it!

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

This is a great story. I love the shipping here, KogaxSurge ftw! Excellent writing, description, and word flow as usual! Great work!

Coming Soon...

THE Queen Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

Awww, this chapter was so heartbreaking! Especially the parts about Janine's mother and the fact that she will never see Janine grow up :(

Also, having Surge be affected by inner demons and a complex past that help shape him as a character is a nice addition to the story. It gives him a good reason for his intricate personality and it helps the readers see the motivation behind his actions.

Can't wait for the next chapter :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gible View Post
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Could you elaborate a bit. It would help me out.
    Well I don't really know if it's a good or bad thing. It makes you feel sort of awkward whilst reading it (the kiss scene especially) but it is also what makes this story stand out and interesting. So I suppose it is overall a good thing but it is also strange and uncomfortable. I'm probably not being crystal clear but do you sort of know what I mean?

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the reviews!!! I appreciate the comments and I'm glad to see you guys like my story.

Quote Originally Posted by 999remew View Post
    Well I don't really know if it's a good or bad thing. It makes you feel sort of awkward whilst reading it (the kiss scene especially) but it is also what makes this story stand out and interesting. So I suppose it is overall a good thing but it is also strange and uncomfortable. I'm probably not being crystal clear but do you sort of know what I mean?
    Not really... I mean, it's shipping fic. The sole purpose of the fic is for those two to get together. Did you feel it went too far in the description? That it was too sexually charged?

I mean I was careful not to turn this into a lemon. I don't really get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gible View Post
    Not really... I mean, it's shipping fic. The sole purpose of the fic is for those two to get together. Did you feel it went too far in the description? That it was too sexually charged?

I mean I was careful not to turn this into a lemon. I don't really get what you're saying.
    Look, the story is fine. No, you didn't go to far, it's not overly sexual but it is awkward (to me). However the oddity of it is what makes it desirable. I accept that this type of story is supposed to be as you have described (in the above quote).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast