EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search) - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Interlude 5: On Tour)

Interlude 5: On Tour

Brock strolls into the backstage area, only to hear a familiar fiddle tuning up and a harmonica improvising a blue riff. When he peeks around a corner, his curious look turns into a joyful smile. "Dawn, Ash, what a surprise!" he laughs as he embraces his friends.

"'The Absol That Built a Bridge' was such a hit in Celadon, we thought we'd give you a chance to perform in front of your home crowd to kick off the tour." Dawn explains. She then sets her fiddle aside and offers Brock a green, blue, and gold minstrel's costume. "We even brought you your costume."

Ash, meanwhile, gently taps on the lid of a tin of mints. When no answer comes, he gently opens the lid to reveal the tiny sprite Pokemon dozing inside. "Aw...Melody's still asleep."

"Melody, we're here." Dawn coaxes as she gently nudges the sprite with her finger.

Brock smiles, touched over the intimate moment as Yuki arrives in the room. "You said in your last letter from Unova you saved a Meloetta from Team Rocket..." she notes.

"Yeah--her name's Melody." Ash explains to Yuki in a stage whisper. "She's very energetic--Pikachu and her hit it off right away." A tiny yawn from the mint tin gets his attention. "She napped most of the way here, but given how many times she sang for the crowd in Celadon, she probably earned it."

"Hi, Melody." Brock smiles as he strokes Melody's music staff-like hair. "This is my home theater, the Fireside."

Melody rubs the sleep from her eyes, then looks around the theater in awe. "It's beautiful..."

"Thank you--we do our best to keep it spic and span!" Yuki replies as some of the other Players hurry in the room.

"Aw, who's this?" Lotta asks before petting Melody.

<i>Lotta, questo è Melody.</i> Brock replies in Italian.

<i>Molto lieto, Melody.</i> Lotta smiles.

Melody nods. <i>Grazie.</i>

Rylan's mouth drops open. "I didn't know Pokemon could speak a foreign language!"

"Well, given that Melody is a Legendary, and the guardian of music, it's only natural that she know the universal language of music--Italian." Brock explains. "I narrate the play..."

"I play Kazuya, the carpenter." Ash continues as Melody flies over to his shoulder.

"And I sing to tell Kazuya what the Absol is named." Melody adds. "But I'm not going to spoil it."

"I play Hatsuna, one of the women of the village." Dawn says before retrieving her fiddle again. "The crew's still unloading the sets and other costumes, so Ash and I were going to have a little session to pass the time."

"Got room for one more?" Brock asks before running to find his guitar.

"Sure, you can play with us." Ash assures his friend. "Thought I'd try the harmonica with this set, but I brought a couple of whistles too."

"We call this 'The Lonely Traveler Set'" Brock tells Melody as he tunes up. Once he is ready, he leads the way into a peaceful melody before switching to a driving rhythm for the fiddle and harmonica's bluesy rendition of "The Road to Pewter City"...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 21st May 2012 at 01:44 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry I didn't comment on the latest interlude, it was getting late yesterday. Anyway, so you finally picked the name, Melody, for Meloetta. Can't wait to read the next big show that was talked about here. Is Melody going to play a big role in it, by any chance?
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

She does have a small part in this play, yes

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Sidestory 3: The Absol that Built a Bridge)

Sidestory 3: The Absol that Built a Bridge

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan", episode 8, story 1)

The crowd murmurs as the lights flash the five minute warning. Backstage, Ash waits as he listens to the thumping and rustling of Brock changing behind a screen. "You ready?" he asks.

A harp chord answers his question as Brock emerges from the screen, the gold trim on his green and blue outfit glittering in the lights. "Ready as always." he smiles. Ash nods and goes back behind the screen himself to change.

Onstage, the stage goes dark. After a few tense seconds, Brock strolls onto the dark stage, playing a song some in the crowd recognize as the Ballad of the Goddess. "Good morrow, travelers, and welcome. I am Tanion, a wandering minstrel of this land. Today I want to tell you a tale of a fearsome Absol, and the unlikely hero that outsmarted it."

He plays a soft chord on the harp. "Perhaps you would like to hear the tale?" The crowd roars in reply. "Very well...in a land far from here, there was a small village by a river. The people there lived happy lives, except for one tiny problem--there was no bridge to cross the river..." He lets that hang as the lights come up on a set of an Asian-esque village. A sparkling blue carpet lies in the center of the stage, representing the river. Dawn and Whitlea, clad in simple robes, arrive onstage a few moments later and pantomime washing clothes in the "river".

"It is such a fine day, Nanami..." Dawn muses as she washes imagined clothes. "They will shine like the sun!"

"Indeed--it is so relaxing to feel the sun on your face and hear the birds sing." Whitlea agrees.

"My love brought back a fine catch last night, but now his clothes smell like sea water and fish!" Dawn rears back at an imagined garment's smell to punctuate her point.

"You will have to scrub harder than I will, Hatsuna--for I only have my best robe today." Whitlea replies as she proudly holds an imagined robe for Dawn to see.

"Wow! You must've had a fine harvest to buy a colorful cloth like that!" Dawn gasps in awe.

"Such fine cloth is hard to find anymore..." Whitlea sighs as she and Dawn get up from their places.

"Say...The Moon Festival is coming, and I would very much like a new robe." Dawn interjects.

"Me too." Whitlea agrees. "Long have I desired to visit the villages on the other side of the river." She gestures to stage left to prove her point. "I have heard the markets there have much fine cloth, with many beautiful designs..."

Dawn nods in agreement. "Yes, and many more things--nets so strong even a Wartortle can't get out, perfume to make our homes smell sweet and to offer to the Great Arceus, and many instruments with a fine tone!" She then sighs. "But, we can't cross the river."

"I know--the river is strong, and its waters have washed away bridges like they were mere toothpicks." Whitlea muses. "If only we lived when Elder Yuji was younger--he would've known what to do about a bridge." As she is speaking, Blair, clad in a elaborate blue and white elder's robe, approaches from stage left. When Whitlea turns to see who is approaching her, she gasps. "Oh! Elder, we were just talking about you..."

"Really? I am honored to have been the subject of your discussion." Blair smiles.

"Tell me then, elder, why this river cannot be crossed." Whitlea begins. "We have heard much of the villages on the other side..."

"But there is no way for us to see the other side with our own eyes!" Dawn cries.

"Is there any way we can cross the river at all?" Whitlea pleads.

"Patience, my friends--understand that the village council is aware of your plight." Blair assures the girls. "They know better than anyone how hard it is to build a bridge."

"But they do nothing." Dawn protests.

"Ah, but they do." Blair counters. "They have asked the best carpenter in the land to come here and build us a bridge."

"Really?" Dawn gasps. "That's wonderful news!"

"If he is as good as you say, a strong bridge will be built in no time!" Whitlea agrees.

The lights go down over a harp interlude. "Word spread quickly through the village about the young carpenter--a lad named Kazuya--and his skill." Brock narrates as he plays the song. "When he arrived there a few days later, the first thing he did was speak with the elder." He lets that hang as his spotlight blinks off and the lights come up on Ash--clad in a navy blue Asian-esque work outfit--and Blair overlooking the river.

"Thank you for devoting your time and service to helping our humble village." Blair smiles.

"It pleases me to be of service." Ash replies. "My work stands across many rivers in this land, and this river is no different."

"It won't be an easy task." Blair cautions.

"Even though the river's current is strong, I am not afraid." Ash boasts.

"Oh, but if you listen very closely, you just might hear the river say 'Never ever will I be crossed!'" Blair continues. "And no one ever has."

"But I will!" Ash proclaims, to some applause.

"Very well, I will leave you to your work." Blair then walks off stage right, leaving Ash alone on the stage.

"I would not want the elder to know that the river actually does frighten me, despite my boasting." Ash comments as an aside to the audience. "I have never seen such a mighty river like this...so even though I am afraid, I have made a promise to the villagers. I will not give up!"

The audience cheers in support as Ash pantomimes building something. "As Kazuya set to work on building a bridge, he saw a white flash coming down from the mountains." Brock narrates from his spotlight at stage right. He then plays an upward glissando as May--in an Absol suit--springs out from behind a rock.

"Ai-yai-ya! What kind of Pokemon is this?" Ash gasps as he steps backwards in surprise.

"Absol! Why do you look so pale, human? You look like you've seen a ghost!" May taunts. "Haven't you seen a beautiful Pokemon like me before?"

"I-I don't think so..." Ash stammers.

"What? I can't hear you!" May calls.

"Who are you?" Ash retorts.

"I am Absol, the disaster Pokemon." May replies. "All humans fear me--don't you?"

"I fear you too, Absol--I was not prepared for your appearing." Ash confesses. "The river is so deep that reflections are not seen, and so wide that the other side is shrouded in mist."

"Very true." May muses. "The elders of this village know me well, and they tremble as you are, when they see me. This is why I appear by the river banks every so often--it is such fun to frighten humans, like this!" A bright light appears on May for a split second, making her costume's material flash enough to nearly blind Ash. "How was that?" she asks.

"That was awful!" Ash replies.

"Aren't I amazing, and scary, too?" May asks.

"Quite so, Lady Absol." Ash replies. "To be honest, you are so fearsome, it is almost beautiful."

"You think so? I am flattered." May giggles.

"But you've got to be a kind Pokemon, or else I would have been warned against you..." Ash muses.

"Of course!" May assures Ash. "It is not in my nature to feast upon humans. I am also quite intelligent--you wish to build a bridge over this river, yes?"

Ash balks at May's assumption. "How did you know?"

"I know a lot more than any human would--and I also know you fear such a task." May replies.

"You speak the truth." Ash sighs.

"Worry no more, human, for I will build a bridge for you--what is impossible for a human is very simple to a Pokemon like me." May proclaims.

Ash, however, isn't so sure of May's offer. "Now now, I think you are bragging, for I am the best builder in all the land, and I feel that it cannot be done."

"Why, I could have the bridge complete before the sun rises tomorrow morning." May continues.

"REALLY???" Ash gasps.

"By the Great Lord Arceus, I swear to you I can." May promises, holding up a hand for effect.

Ash is still skeptical. "How do I know you are not lying?"

"Didn't I already swear it as an oath before the King of the Heavens, Arceus? Your problem is solved." May assures Ash.

"I am honored and grateful--you deserve a reward in return for your aid." Ash smiles with relief. "Name what you wish, and it is yours."

"A gift, you say? Hm..." The harp plays an interlude as May thinks a moment. "Most times I am given gifts to keep me away, but what kind of gift suits such a beautiful Pokemon like me?"

"Think quickly! I have made a promise to the villagers..." Ash cautions.

"Let me see here..." Another harp interlude plays as May thinks some more. "I have it! I wish for one of your ears."

Ash balks over an upward glissando. "One of my ears? But I only have two, and I love them very much--how else would I enjoy the birds or the music of festivals?"

"Regardless, I am building you a bridge no human could build--and you have promised me a gift." May reminds him.

"But, how would I live half deaf?" Ash protests.

"Since I see you are troubled, I will give you a chance to spare your ear." May suggests. "I will build the bridge tonight, and if you can offer something better or tell me what the elders named me, your ear will be safe. Do we have a deal?"

Ash sighs in defeat. "I have no choice but to accept your terms--I cannot make a promise I cannot keep." May smiles deviously and deftly sprints away as Brock reappears in his spotlight, playing his harp.

"And with that, the Absol disappeared as quickly as she appeared, the white mists being the only sign she had ever appeared at all." Brock narrates. Ash, meanwhile, walks off to a prop tree and pretends to sleep as the lights go down to mimic nighttime. "All that night, he tossed and turned." Ash pretends to toss and turn to illustrate Brock's point, to some laughter from the audience. "For every time he closed his eyes, he saw the Absol's devious smile."

As Ash pretends to sleep, May returns with a slab of wood and lays it over the "river". Once she exits, the lights gradually start to come up to simulate a sunrise. "As Ho'oh began her flight across the sky, the carpenter awoke, and was amazed to find that a bridge had been built, one not even he could have built." With that, Brock's spotlight blinks off as May returns.

"Well? How do you like my bridge?" May asks.

Ash groggily sits up. "The most beautiful I have seen." he dryly comments.

"Much better than any built by humans?" May presses Ash for more information.

"Very much so." Ash admits.

"Now for your end of the bargain--my true name or a better gift?" May asks.

Ash balks as Brock plays a downward glissando offstage. "Lady Absol, forgive me--I was so worried for the bridge that I gave no thought to a better gift or your true name! I beg you for another day to think it over!"

"Oh, okay, I will give you another day since you asked so nicely." May replies. "But I swear that you will not guess my true name!" She dashes off, leaving Ash alone onstage again.

"I am so going to learn your true name, Lady Absol--I swear it!" Ash vows to the audience, to some applause.

As Ash walks offstage and the lights go down, Brock reappears in his spotlight, playing another interlude. "The carpenter was worried sick, and in desperation, walked away from the river to the forest nearby the village. As he walked, he entertained many possibilities as to what the Absol had once been named by the village elders. Before long, he found himself deep in the forest, far away from the village..." His spotlight blinks off as the lights come up on the set of a forest. Melody flies onstage and settles into a pile of leaves, singing a soft gibberish melody as Ash emerges onstage.

"That voice, it can't possibly be a human girl..." Ash muses to the audience before gasping. "It is no human girl, that is none other than the guardian of music, Meloetta! Maybe she will give me a clue to the Absol's true name..."

The harp begins a mystical tune, over which Melody sings. <i>Fearsome is the Absol that lives by the river,
    Making the villagers quiver and shiver!
    Purmina, O Purmina
    The name of the shadow born,
    Purmina, dark Purmina,
    That is the dark one's name!</i>

A devious look forms on Ash's face. "So that's what the elders once named the Absol--Purmina!" The harp then segues into an interlude as Ash walks off and the lights go down, revealing Brock again.

"No sooner had the carpenter returned to the river, did he find the mother Absol waiting for him..." Brock intones from his nook as his spotlight blinks off and the lights come up on the village and river again. Sure enough, May is waiting for Ash.

"You have returned...perhaps you wish to reconsider?" May asks.

"No...I came to tell you your true name." Ash replies.

"Oh, this will be fun to see." May giggles. "So tell me, what is my true name that the elders gave me so long ago out of their fear for me?"

Melody sings from offstage as Ash thinks for a moment. <i>Fearsome is the Absol that lives by the river,
    Making the villagers quiver and shiver!
    Purmina, O Purmina
    The name of the shadow born,
    Purmina, dark Purmina,
    That is the dark one's name!</i>

"Your true name is Purmina!" Ash finally declares over Melody's last note.

May feigns shock as Brock plays an upward glissando. "How...how did you know?"

"That is only for me to know, Lady Purmina." Ash smiles. May just dashes off, over an interlude from Brock.

"And so, the Absol disappeared into the mists, humiliated that a human knew her true name." Brock narrates over his song. "Yet the bridge remained, forming a lovely arch over the roaring rapids." Blair, Whitlea, and Dawn join Ash in looking at the "bridge" "The village was overjoyed by the news of a bridge..." His spotlight blinks off over a soft chord.

"Now that we have a bridge, we will never again fear these waters!" Dawn cries.

"And now we can trade and visit with the cities on the other side!" Whitlea agrees.

"The bridge will bring wealth to both sides of the river..." Blair smiles as he turns to Ash. "and it shall be named for you."

"I have a better idea..." Ash suggests. "Why not call it 'Purmina Bridge'?" With that thought, the lights blink off and Brock appears in his spotlight, playing one last interlude.

"And so it was--the bridge stood for many moons, and can still be seen today, all thanks to a brave carpenter brave enough to guess an Absol's name." Brock narrates. "So ends the tale named 'The Absol that Built a Bridge'" He plays one last glissando as the curtains close.

The crowd roars as the lights come up again for the curtain call. Brock leads off the bows, then Melody, and then Blair. Whitlea and Dawn bow next, and then May takes her bow. The biggest ovation is saved for Ash as he takes his bow....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 14: Buneary Hunts Ho'oh)

Week 14: Buneary Hunts Ho'oh

(real tale: Rabbit and the Summer Sun)

"One year when the world was new, summer came, and Ho'oh's feathers glowed especially brightly." Brock begins as he looks out on the listening crowd from center stage. "At first, everyone enjoyed the warmth Ho'oh provided, but before long, all the Pokemon began to complain. Ho'oh would stay out for days at a time, giving no one any rest.

Buneary's complaints were particularly vocal..." In character as a young girl, he complains "It's far too hot! Won't you give us a chance to rest?" Laughter goes up as Brock feigns wiping sweat from his brow to punctuate his point. "But Ho'oh remained high in the sky, raining heat upon the world." he intones as himself. "Finally, Buneary made a bold decision..." As Buneary again, he announces "I'm going to keep Ho'oh from shining!"

Some "Oh"s race through the crowd. "The other Pokemon just rolled their eyes and sighed--they knew Buneary's boasts and outlandish promises well." Brock explains as himself. "When they asked Buneary how she was going to stop Ho'oh from shining, she announced..." As Buneary, he proclaims "I'm going to shoot Ho'oh right out of the sky!"

Nervous giggles go up from the crowd. "The other Pokemon howled with laughter at Buneary." Brock continues as himself. "Buizel laughed, although he secretly wished the rivers weren't drying up. Deerling laughed, although she too wished Ho'oh would rest. The bird Pokemon twittered with bemusement, and the Mightyenas howled. But the more the Pokemon laughed, the more determined Buneary became."

Brock pauses to pantomime aiming a bow. "Buneary spent days training at the bow...and many arrows went flying to the sky." He shoots the imagined arrow offstage to illustrate this. "The other Pokemon told Buneary that she would have a better shot if she traveled to Ho'oh's nest far to the east. So Buneary took her bow and set out for Ho'oh's nest early the next morning."

A large rainbow light appears on the backstage curtains to represent Ho'oh. "As Buneary traveled, Ho'oh watched and listened to her ranting. She was much stronger than a little Buneary, and wasn't afraid." Brock continues as he walks around the stage. "Finally, Buneary arrived at Ho'oh's nest, made camp, and waited for the moment Ho'oh began her daily journey across the sky." The rainbow light appears on the backstage curtains by stage right as Brock sits down on the other end of the stage, as if he is Buneary in her camp.

"Ho'oh knew well what Buneary planned to do, and devised a plan." Brock explains as he gets up. "The next morning, she took a different route across the sky." The rainbow light blinks across the stage curtains to mimic Ho'oh flying. "By the time Buneary saw Ho'oh, Ho'oh was already high overhead and too far away for any arrow to reach."

"Buneary lay waiting, just waiting to make her shot." Brock narrates as he pantomimes aiming a bow at the blinking light. "but Ho'oh would take another route." The audience laughs as the light blinks in a new pattern, away from Brock's pantomimed shot. "This went on for several weeks...Buneary would ready an arrow..." He pantomimes aiming a bow again. "but Ho'oh would take a new route every morning." The light then blinks into a new pattern, out of range of Brock's imagined shot.

The audience watches as Brock and the light continue their odd dance onstage. Brock aims his imagined bow at the light, but it blinks away from him in a new pattern across the backstage curtains. Brock just finds a new spot to aim his imaginary weapon, but the light just blinks away from him.

"One day, Ho'oh forgot to choose a new path." Brock narrates as the light flashes in a familiar pattern. "Just before Ho'oh could take flight, Buneary took aim and fired, hitting Ho'oh square in the stomach!"

With that, he pantomimes aiming a bow and fires at the rainbow light, which "falls" off the backstage curtains and flickers as if in pain.

The stage then glows ominously red. "As lava poured from Ho'oh's wound, Buneary hurried back home, warning the Pokemon to take shelter." Brock narrates. "They took shelter under a large bush. The lava turned that bush's leaves red--that's why some trees and bushes leaves turn red in the fall."

He concludes as the lights return to normal. "Although Ho'oh's wound healed, she rose very carefully in the morning after that, and quickly made her way to the west--for she didn't want anyone to wound her again!"

The crowd roars with applause as Brock takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 25th May 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 15: The Boy that Never Lied)

Week 15: The Boy that Never Lied

(real tale: The Honest Man)

"In a certain land, there lived a boy named Minoru." Brock begins as he settles in his chair and takes his guitar. "He was famous for always telling the truth. Everyone from the capital to the farthest reaches of the land had heard of his talent, and all that heard about it were amazed.

He plays a little more. "When you think about it, everyone has lied at least once in their life, right?" Murmurs go up in agreement. "The people of this land were no different than me and you--some of them told wild tales when they lied, but the majority of them merely told little white lies. Not Minoru! He had never lied, not even a little white one." Some applause goes up from the crowd in amazement.

"The king of the land, however, was skeptical about Minoru." Brock intones as his song shifts to a minor key. "He felt it was impossible for someone to always tell the truth. So he summoned Minoru to the palace."

After playing a majestic interlude to signal a scene change, he continues. "When Minoru arrived at the palace, the king looked him up and down for any aura, sign or trance-like look that could possibly explain Minoru's gift. But for all intents and purposes, Minoru was a perfectly normal boy. The king then asked Minoru..." Brock then switches to a deeper version of his own voice. "Is it true what they say about you?"

"W-what do you mean?" he asks in character as a young boy.

"Your honesty...is what people say about you true?" he asks as the king.

"Well, what do they say?" he asks as Minoru. The audience watches in awe as Brock carries on the conversation between the two characters using only his voice:

"Is it true you have never lied?"

"It is true, Your Majesty."

"Do you ever plan to lie at all?"

"No, Your Majesty--I will never tell a lie."

"Never?"

"Never."

"Lies are tricky things, my son, and they can easily slip from your mouth without you knowing it. You must be very careful."

"I will be, Your Majesty."

The crowd applauds Brock's one person conversation before allowing him to continue. "With that, the king wished Minoru well, and sent him on his way."

He then plays a tense interlude. "A few days went by, but the king could not stop thinking about Minoru and his gift of telling the truth. There had to be some way to make Minoru lie. So the king brainstormed a suitable plan, and summoned Minoru to the palace again some weeks later. By then, word had spread across the land of his first visit, so a huge crowd turned out to see Minoru arrive at the palace a second time."

Brock waits a moment for the interested murmurs to quiet before going on. "The king met Minoru at the palace gates, and led him to the royal stables, There, Minoru saw the king's Rapidash was saddled and his retinue was prepared as if the king was leaving on a long journey. Minoru was told..." As the king again, he intones "I am leaving to visit my father--go to the royal garden and inform my beloved of my journey, and that I will return at noon tomorrow. She will prepare us a great feast, and you will join us as a guest at our royal table."

As himself, he continues over a foreboding chord. "The king sneered as Minoru hurried off towards the royal garden. He actually had no plans to travel anywhere, and Minoru was about to tell a huge lie to the queen--or so he thought."

Nervous laughter wafts through the auditorium as Brock plays a peaceful interlude. "Meanwhile, Minoru arrived in the royal garden, where the queen was tending her flowers. He said to her..." As Minoru, he calls "Your Majesty, your beloved the king has told me that he is going to visit his father, and will return tomorrow at noon. If you wish, you can prepare lunch for us, but I do not know when the king truly plans to return, or if he even went on a journey at all."

As himself, he interjects "The queen was confused, so she asked Minoru..." In a young woman's voice, he asks "What do you mean? I don't follow..."

"I'm not telling you any riddles, only the truth." he explains as Minoru. "I saw the king mount his Rapidash, telling me he was leaving to see his father. But he may not have left on a journey....he may return tomorrow, or he may not, I do not know for sure."

"The queen was impressed with Minoru's honesty, and decided to wait and see what would happen the next day." Brock explains as himself over a tense flourish. "The king met the queen in the garden the next day, and boldly declared that Minoru had lied to her. But the queen was quick to correct her beloved..." As the queen again, he intones "Minoru said what you told him to say to me, but only what he knew to be true."

He plays a trumphant chord, making the crowd cheer--once again, Minoru told the truth! "From that day on, everyone in that land understood that a honest man only speaks of what he sees with his own eyes." Brock concludes as himself. The crowd roars at the story's end, so he gets up from the chair and takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 28th May 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry I didn't comment on the recent tales, they were very good. I especially like the one with the Buneary and Ho-Oh. Not for any particular reason, I just like it. By the way, isn't Ho-Oh supposed to spelled like this: Ho-Oh (at least according to Bulbapedia)?
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Well, I remember seeing it spelled that way in a strategy guide when GSC first came out, so I've always spelled it like that. That, and it looks nicer.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 16: The Wisdom of Dreams)

Week 16: The Wisdom of Dreams

(real tale: The Wisdom of Dreams)

"There was once a boy--we'll call him Haru--who enjoyed flowers and gardening." Brock begins as he makes himself comfortable in his chair at center stage. "In fact..." He pauses to get up from the chair. "he would spend hours in his garden planting seeds...." He pantomimes sowing seeds. "Watering sprouts..." Some soft giggles go up as Brock pantomimes watering plants. "Pulling weeds..." The laughter grows a little louder as Brock pantomimes struggling with a particularly bothersome imaginary weed. "and pruning dead branches from the trees." He pantomimes cutting a tree branch to illustrate his point.

"One day, after a particularly exhausting morning, Haru sat down under a tree to rest and soon fell asleep." The children in the audience giggle as Brock lies down on the stage as if sleeping. "Suddenly, a man approached him and motioned for him to follow him." Brock slowly gets up and walks across the stage, as if he is Haru following the man. "They came to a city where the houses glittered like jewels and the townspeople welcomed him as if he was an old friend." He waves at a few imagined people to prove his point. "They came to the royal palace, where the king welcomed Haru as his guest." With that, he settles back in his chair, takes his guitar, and begins a majestic song. "The more Haru ate of the fine food and drink, the happier he felt."

Murmurs go up as the interlude concludes. "Haru mused to himself..." In his best mimic of Ash, Brock muses "Refinement loves the lily..."

In a deeper version of his own voice, he gasps "Really? Would you like to meet my daughter, Yuri?"

As himself, he continues. "The king summoned Princess Yuri to the banquet hall, and Haru was amazed at how beautiful she was." He plays a long, flowing chord to represent Yuri's appearance. "But before Haru could say hello to the princess, he woke up." Some in the audience are startled by the hard chord symbolizing Haru waking up. "Although he had only slept for an hour or two, Haru felt like he'd slept for days, and his heart yearned to see Princess Yuri."

He plays a love theme for a moment. "The garden was just as it was when he had fallen asleep, but Haru swore he smelled lilies on the spring breeze. For the next several days, he thought about his dream and what it possibly meant."

The song turns to a dream-like theme. "A few days later, Haru slept in the garden again. He returned to the beautiful jewel studded city, where the king welcomed him." As the king, he intones "Haru, Princess Yuri has grown fond of you, and loves you very much."

"As do I." he replies as Haru.

"Yuri wishes to take you as her husband." he continues as the king. "Do you accept?"

Cheers go up at the triumphant chord. "It wasn't long before Haru and Princess Yuri were married." he continues as himself. "During the wedding feast, Haru held his new bride close the whole night, as a promise he would not leave her."

His romantic theme shifts to a minor key. "They were about to step onto the balcony for some quiet time together, when a herald announced that a great monster had attacked the kingdom, and if it was not slain, many would die."

Gasps go up at the crowd. "Princess Yuri started to cry, but Haru assured her he would keep her safe." Brock continues over has frantic melody. "But before he could take Princess Yuri somewhere safe, he woke up in his garden again." The frantic melody abruptly ends with a hard chord.

"Haru wondered just what it was that was attacking the kingdom in his dream." Brock narrates as he plays a calm interlude. "Nothing appeared out of place at first, but then Haru noticed the Combee hive he kept at the garden's edge. A swarm of Combees would go in, but no Combees came out. He asked his neighbor, a renowned beekeeper, what the matter was, and explained his dream to him."

"His neighbor came the next day, where he found an Ekans eating the Combees!" Brock plays a tense chord for effect. "Haru found a shovel, and hit the Ekans with it until it was dead."

He concludes over a peaceful interlude. "The honey the Combees gave him after that was the sweetest he had ever tasted, as if Princess Yuri and the others in the dream kingdom were thanking him. Every time he planted a lilly, he thought of his beloved princess, and the wisdom of dreams."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Interlude 6: Hooray for Pokewood)

Interlude 6: Hooray for Pokewood

<i>Dear Brock, how are things back in Kanto? I am doing well--Tepig has evolved, and I got my seventh Unovan badge...</i>

Brock smiled as he read Ash's letter--he always enjoyed hearing of his friend's latest adventures in Unova. <i>Iris and Cilan sound like interesting people--I would love to meet them one day.</i>

"What's that?" a male voice asked.

Brock whirled around to see Kano framed in the common room doorway with a plate full of cookie bars. "I got a new letter from Ash...one of his Pokemon evolved, and he's earned his seventh badge. They're on their way to see Pokewood next..."

"Really? Ash is going to Pokewood???" Yuki gasped, excited. "Maybe he'll see a celebrity or two!"

Brock chuckled at his friend's likely reaction to seeing famous actors and idols. "He tells me that if he does meet a celebrity, he would most want to meet Derek Chen, the speaking voice actor for Jelan Mirana on 'The Song Mage Chronicles.'"

"Who's Arran's speaking voice, again?" Kano asks. "I've always wanted to know who actually does his voice."

"Avery Duncan does Arran's speaking voice." Brock replies as he picks up an issue of a magazine. "According to the most recent issue of Superstar Monthly, Avery says he based Arran's voice on a teacher he once had."

"Fascinating!" Lotta smiles as she enters the room. "I know they've been dubbing the second movie for release in theaters this summer..."

Brock thumbs through the magazine a little. "As for the singing voice actors, only Loras' singing voice was an established celebrity when the show began--Amy Mendez had an album out that was a huge success."

"I know, I can't wait for her new album!" Yuki smiles.

"Speaking of new things, did Ash send you a new folktale of Unova?" Kano asked, changing the subject.

Brock retrieved the letter and read down to the last few lines. "I know you've been itching to tell a tale of Unova, so I found one that I think might work--according to Unovan lore, thunderstorms are caused by Reshiram and Zekurom chasing each other."

"That might be what this second page of the letter is." Yuki handed Brock another piece of paper.

Brock read over the bones of the folktale written in Ash's slightly slanted handwriting. "Okay--a hermit of some kind lives on a mountain (the version we heard said it was a priest, but you can make it whatever you want.) and he is famous for his wisdom. Even Reshiram knows how smart he is, so she goes to the mountain and asks for her to teach him..."

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 17: The Angel of Dragonspiral Tower))

Week 17: The Angel of Dragonspiral Tower

(real tale: The Clock Tower Angel)

"Long ago in Unova, there lived a man renowned for his wisdom--we will call him Akira." Brock began as started a relaxed melody on the guitar. "Many spoke well of Akira's intelligence and abilities, but as time went on, rumors began flying about him, for Akira longed to be rich. One day, Darkrai came to Akira, and tempted him with riches and power in exchange for his soul."

Tense murmurs went up at this. Reshiram, the white firefox, heard of Akira's temptation, and told him that the better treasure was seeing justice done, and seeing people happy. But Akira had none of it, and took Darkrai up on his offer." Brock continued as his song turned tense. "Almost overnight, he became very wealthy, and bought the biggest mansion in all of Icirrus City. He had many maids and servants to tend to his every need, and threw lavish parties almost every night." He played a regal melody to emphasize his point.

He waited for the applause to quiet before continuing. "Before long, people began hearing rumors of strange things happening in the mansion. The servants began leaving in fear when they heard the tales of ghostly activity and odd screams at night. It wasn't long before no one came to Akira's parties, and he found himself alone. Akira wanted someone, anyone, to talk with him, but no one ever came."

Some people start crying at this, but Brock plays a tense riff, getting the audience's attention. Meanwhile, Darkrai saw Akira suffering, and worried that he might be having second thoughts. So Darkrai transformed himself into a Pikachu..." He played a soft chord to mimic a transformation. "and hurried off to the mansion. When Akira saw the Pikachu, he laughed for the first time in months, and adopted it as his companion, unaware of who it really was."

He then plays a prayerful song. "In the heavens, Reshiram was saddened at what Akira was doing, and took it upon herself to deliver him from Darkrai's wiles. So she transformed herself into one of Akira's old friends, and left for Icirrus City."

After playing a hopeful melody to symbolize Reshiram traveling, Brock continues. "Later that day, Akira received a visit from Reshiram, in disguise as his friend Sakura. Sakura wanted to see his pet Pikachu. Akira agreed, and called for his Pikachu, but no matter how many times they both called, and no matter where they looked in the house, the Pikachu did not come." Giggles went up over Brock's frantic melody, symbolizing Akira and Sakura searching for the disguised Darkrai.

"They finally found the Pikachu huddled in a corner of the ballroom." Brock explains some moments later, playing a tense chord for effect. "When Sakura reached out to pet it, Darkrai revealed himself. Reshiram revealed herself as well, and a great battle broke out right there, with Akira looking on in awe." With that, he begins a triumphant battle song, leading some in the audience to cheer for Reshiram as Brock musically recreates the epic battle for his audience.

Finally, the chords of battle fade away. "Finally, Reshiram delivered the final blow, and Darkrai disappeared in a plume of purple and red smoke. Akira was touched that Reshiram would come to deliver him even after all he had done. He fell to his knees, pleading with Arceus to forgive him for what he had done." Brock interjects, playing a prayerful melody for effect.

The prayerful melody gave way to another festive song. "No sooner had he finished his prayer, did his house become bright and welcoming again, and his friends and the servants returned. He knew Arceus had forgiven him, and from that day on, never turned from his kind and just ways. He had a marble statue carved of Reshiram, and set it at the top of Dragonspiral Tower, where it still stands today, watching over Unova." Brock concluded over a light flourish.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!" The crowd cheers as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 18: Sorin and the Pot of Beans)

Week 18: Sorin and the Pot of Beans

(real tale: Hare and the Big Pot of Beans)

"You know, I haven't told a Sorin tale in a little while...." Brock begins, making the crowd roar in excitement as to what sort of adventure Brock has dreamed up for the crafty Pikachu. "One morning, Sorin woke up from a dream--he dreamed he was eating Berries and other treats. So he ran off into the brush in hopes he could make them come true."

Some "mm"s fill the air as Brock makes his way to center stage. "Now, you have to remember that Sorin was quite the trickster...."

The crowd cheers again at the traditional beginning to a Sorin tale. "He preferred to play instead of work--so he was running through the brush looking for food to steal." Brock explains as he takes his guitar and starts playing a playful riff to represent Sorin running.

After playing a "traveling" theme for a while, Brock continues. "After running for a while, Sorin happened to find Donphan stirring something in a huge pot--and the beans that were cooking inside smelled delicious!" Giggles go up from the audience. "So he hurried over to Donphan's side and said...." In his "Sorin" voice, he asks "Hey, Donphan, what are ya doin' by yaself on this bee-you-tee-ful day?"

"I am making lunch for the other Pokemon, who are out in the fields right now." he replies in a relaxed male voice for Donphan.

As himself, he continues. "Sorin had to think a minute--how was he going to convince Donphan to give him some of the beans? So he thought..." He assumes a thoughtful pose. "and thought..." Some laughter goes up as Brock assumes another thoughtful pose. "and thought some more." He plays an interlude to symbolize a scene change.

"Finally, Sorin told Donphan..." As Sorin again, Brock interjects. "Ya know, I've heard a lot about your fur...mind if I style it inta somthin' even more beautiful?"

The audience murmurs as they wonder how Sorin's request makes any sense, but Brock is quick to address their concerns. "In those days, Donphans had manes of shining silver fur on their necks and backs--that was often how they chose a mate." Some "Oh's" go up from the crowd. "Donphan agreed to let Sorin style his fur, and it wasn't long before Donphan fell fast asleep." Laughter goes up as Brock plays a few bars of Brahms' Lullaby to symbolize Donphan asleep.

"Once sure Donphan would not be waking up anytime soon, Sorin took some of Donphan's fur and tied it to a tree." Brock continues, to some giggles of anticipation. "He then proceeded to help himself to the beans in the pot before hurrying into the brush to see his prank unfold."

He plays a tense riff. "The other Pokemon returned to find Donphan fast asleep. Donphan was startled when he saw the other Pokemon arrive..." Brock plays a soft harmonic chord to symbolize Donphan waking up. "But when he tried to get up, he fell right back to the ground again!" The audience howls with laughter at the downward note used to represent Donphan falling.

"The other Pokemon laughed, and Donphan turned a lovely shade of Charizard red in embarrassment." Brock goes on. "But no one was laughing when they looked in the pot and saw almost all the beans gone!"

Murmurs go up from the crowd. "Donphan told the other Pokemon what had happened, and King Entei decided that the other Pokemon would play a trick of their own as payback." Brock explains. "So the next morning, they prepared a pot of beans, and left Wartortle in charge of guarding the pot as they went to work in the fields. Sorin came some time later, and after looking to see if the coast was clear, settled on what he thought was a rock and began helping himself to the beans."

He then plays a hard chord before announcing in a breathy female voice for Wartortle "Ah-ha! Gotcha this time!"

"Please, don't hurt me!" he pleads as Sorin.

"Why should I? You ate all our lunch yesterday..." he intones as Wartortle.

As himself, he continues. "Sorin looked down to see Wartortle looking back at him, and was so surprised, he fainted in fear." The crowd laughs at this. "Lunch went without incident, for the Pokemon were sure Sorin would not steal their food again.

He concludes "Sorin came to some minutes later, and romped through the brush in search of someone else to trick--but that's another story for another day!"

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow....

You know what that story reminds me of? The stories of Anantzi the Spider!

Blog Entries

Sorin is the Pokeworld's answer to Anansi and other tricksters

^ Ah, I thought so!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast