EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search) - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Sidestory 1: Kaitou and the Magic Tree))

Finally, at long last, the first sidestory is ready!

Sidestory 1: Kaitou and the Magic Tree

The theater was packed the next week as all of Pewter City, plus the millions more watching on TV, turned out to watch the performance of an ancient style of play. Backstage, the cast members were even more excited as they made their final preparations.

"Okay...actors ready?" Dawn asks as she emerges from a dressing room in a royal blue and gold robe. Cheers go up in reply. "Orchestra ready?" She readies her violin to play and strokes an A note. A notes from various instruments, drum rolls and bells jingling answer back in reply.

"All set out here!" Brock reports from the wings.

"All right! Let's do this!" Ash trumphantly holds his whistle high like a sword before motioning for the rest of the orchestra to follow him onto the darkened stage.

After a few tense seconds, Brock walks out onstage in a red and gold robe with green accents, playing a crescent moon shaped harp with ivy inlays.

Lotta watches from the wings as Brock plays the overture. <i>Good luck, everyone--I hope the audience likes my script.</i>

When the last note dies, Brock bows and begins. "Good morning, and well met, travelers. I am Kashu, a wandering minstrel of this land."

Suddenly, Whitlea makes a flying jump onstage in a shiny silver bodysuit, so she just appears to be a shiny silver humanoid form to the audience. "This is Sozo--a spirit of creation." Brock explains as Whitlea prances around him. "Although you will very plainly see her creating the world of our play and assisting the actors, bear in mind she is but a shadow..." Brock plays a soft chord for effect. "and therefore invisible to you."

He pauses for a moment. "Now then...now that the pleasentries are finished, I will begin my tale for today."

With that, he plays a sweeping chord as the curtain opens. 30 people in colorful robes and carrying various instruments sit off to the left. Ash and Dawn are present as well, instruments in hand.

"In a certain valley nearby a certain village, there lived a stonemason." Brock began, prompting a boy in Asian-esque work clothes to walk onstage. "We will call him Kaitou." he added as some bells jingled for effect. "Every morning, he would depart his simple little house at dawn, and travel to the quarry at the base of a mountain. There, he would cut stone to build buildings, statues, and roads."

A spotlight appears on the boy. "I am Kaitou, a humble stonemason." he begins. "With my mallet..." Whitlea discretely gives him a mallet. "...and my chisel..." Whitlea next discretely gives him a chisel. "I earn my keep. My body is strong, and I can easily lift a stone two times as heavy as I am. So when I strike the mountain, they hear the tapping in the valley."

He then pantomimes hammering the mountain setpiece while the woodblocks provide the sound. Just then, a Raikou roar is heard offstage, prompting Ash to blast a high note that sounds like a female scream.

"Behold--a Raikou, the Legend of Thunder, passes this way." Brock narrates as a magnificent Raikou puppet runs on the stage.

"Do not tremble in fear, travelers." the puppeteer performing the Raikou's head assures the audience in a deep yet gentle voice. "For inside this Raikou body lies Mamoru, a young prince that desires to marry Cresselia, the guardian of the moon. The Great Lord Arceus..."

The orchestra interrupts the puppet with a trumphant fanfare at the mention of Arceus.

"has given me a test to see if I am worthy to wed Cresselia." the Raikou puppet continues. "If I can discover what makes a man truly happy, he will return me to my true form. Until that day, I remain a Raikou blessed with magical power. And when that day comes, I will be reunited with Cresselia."

The harp and bells herald the appearance of a Cresselia puppet in a "starry" overhead section of the set, with a Lugia and Jirachi puppet by its side.

"I am Cresselia, guardian of the moon." the Cresselia puppet announces, its voice calm and soothing. "Shining with a silver glow so bright, with Lugia and Jirachi through the night. My diamond lantern glows as I wait for my Mamoru's return."

The flute, harp and fiddle play a love theme as the Raikou puppet and Cresselia lovingly look at each other. When the love theme ends, the lights blink back to Brock.

"Ho'oh has reached the highest point in the sky, and Kaitou is hungry..." Brock narrates as the lights blink over to the boy playing Kaitou.

"I will rest and have my lunch." the boy comments as he gives Whitlea back the mallet and chisel. "I will find a tree, and rest in the shade it gives to me." He walks around the stage for a moment as Whitlea climbs on a stool behind a prop Cheri tree and shakes one of its branches to make it appear to wave in the wind.

"Oh! Here is a Cheri tree..." the boy smiles. "Thank you, Cheri-san, for your shade." He reclines under the "tree".

"I hear someone happy close by." the Raikou puppet notes. "I will appear to him with a mighty cry." With that, the puppet approaches the boy and roars.

The boy muses "The wind roars like a Raikou..." Frustrated, the Raikou roars again. "The wind blows like a Raikou..." the boy continues, oblivious to the puppet. The Raikou puppet roars again, making Kaitou finally look. "It IS a Raikou!!!" he gasps. Laughter wafts through the crowd as the Raikou jumps back, but then lovingly nuzzles the boy. "Oh, but he is a friendly Raikou, and does not wish to harm me." he smiles. "I will share my lunch with Raikou-san."

Whitlea gives the boy a box lunch out from the prop tree's leaves, which he divides in half. As they "eat", the lights go down, save for Brock's spotlight.

"It is said that what goes around, comes around." Brock narrates. "What Kaitou didn't know was that the Raikou he had shared his lunch with was magical, and would change his life forever."

"This human seems friendly," the Raikou puppet notes. "Now I will ask if he is happy."

What sounds like a thousand voices begins wafting through the theater, asking the same question: "Are you happy, young one?"

"The wind whispers in the tree, and it asks me if I am happy." Kaitou muses over the voices. "I am strong, I have plenty to eat and a roof over my head, and always share with those in need. That makes me happy."

A gong sounds, stopping the voices. The orchestra then strikes up a festive tune. A procession of more musicians, dancers, acrobats, guards and heralds parades onstage. "Make way! Make way for Master Takahiro!" the heralds call over the music.
    "Kaitou watched as the Pokemon Master and his retinue passed by him, on their way to a neighboring city." Brock narrates as he plays.

"I bow before Master Takahiro and allow him to pass here." the boy says. He bows in respect as the spotlight blinks over to Brock.

"Kaitou saw how beautiful Master Takahiro looked and longed to be a Pokemon Master like him." Brock narrates, still playing with the orchestra. "The Raikou saw Kaitou's longing, and decided to reveal his power to him."

"Kaitou, look and you will see, the tree you're under is a magic tree." the puppet begins as the orchestra stops playing. "Whether you long for riches or just a fish, just say the word, and I'll grant your wish. Any wish you say, I'll grant you, any wish you say will come true. By the power of Lord Arceus in heaven, a Pokemon Master you will be!"

With that, the puppet hums a familiar melody and Brock plays a mystical melody as the boy playing Kaitou is surrounded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando, the gong sounds, and he steps from the smoke in a Pokemon Master's outfit.

"Before you judge Kaitou for being too focused on material things, understand that he had never seen the Pokemon Master before, and was awed by the ceremony and power such a position demanded." Brock explains as the boy playing Kaitou feels around his new costume. After a few tense seconds, the procession and music continues, with Kaitou on the Pokemon Master's mount. When the last of the procession leaves, the lights go down.

"For a time, Kaitou ruled from the Aiiro City as Pokemon Master." Brock narrates. "The Raikou prince, meanwhile, had to tell Cresselia what had happened..."

The lights come up on the Raikou puppet watching a girl in a sakura print kimono "build" a kite. "So Kaitou rules from the Aiiro City--with more gold than he can count and servants at his beck and call. Maybe riches bring happiness..." The puppet notices the girl "What is that you make, miss?"

"It is a kite--a gift for the Pokemon Master." the girl replies. "I was going to let it fly before I take it to the Aiiro City."

"Please, let it soar." the Raikou puppet replies.

The girl nods. "This kite will soar to the stars!"

"And with it a message to Cresselia." the Raikou puppet adds.

The girl pantomimes flying a kite as Whitlea dances around waving a ribbon and the Raikou hums the familiar melody. As her dancing gets more and more elaborate, the harp joins in the song. Finally it reaches the "heavens" section of the set, where the Cresselia, Lugia, and Jirachi puppets watch.

"The kite brings a message to me, words from Mamoru it sings to me..." the Cresselia puppet muses as it studies the prop kite.

"Has he found the answer to the Great Lord's question?" the Lugia puppet asks.

"When does he return? When will he appear?" the Jirachi puppet begs.

"Not soon, I fear." the Cresselia puppet sighs over a sad riff from the orchestra. "Riches and power he thinks are the answer. Before he can return, another answer he must learn."

The lights blink back down to the stage below, where the girl is still "flying" the "kite". "Gah! The sun's so bright!" she cries as she shields her eyes.

A cry is heard as a Ho'oh puppet "flies" onstage. "I am Ho'oh--guardian of the sun, blazing bright!" it announces in a strong female voice. "Around the world I fly, bringing light."

The lights blink down to Pokemon Master Kaitou in the garden. "Eventually the Pokemon Master must give up his post, but Ho'oh rules forever!" the boy playing Kaitou muses. "If only I were Ho'oh..."

"Whether you long for riches or just a fish, just say the word, and I'll grant your wish." the Raikou puppet announces. "Any wish you say, I'll grant you, any wish you say will come true. By the power of Lord Arceus in heaven, Ho'oh you will be!"

With that, the puppet hums a familiar melody and Brock plays a mystical melody as the boy playing Kaitou is surrounded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando, the gong sounds, and the Ho'oh puppet flies from the smoke.

The lights come up on Brock, with a spotlight on the Ho'oh puppet. "A second wish made, and a foolish one, too." Brock begins as he plays a tense interlude on the harp. "It took some time for Kaitou to realize this, but the people groaned under his intense heat."

He stops playing long enough to wipe feigned sweat from his brow. "After all, a wise one once said, 'One must first stumble before they can walk.' Nervous laughter wafts through the crowd at this.

"I am Ho'oh!" the Ho'oh puppet proclaims. "Behold my golden glory!" The orchestra plays a triumphant stinger as the puppet spreads its wings. "From east to west, I light the skies with Sacred Fire that never dies! My rainbow arrows pierce the earth! Power lies within my hand! In an hour I can burn this land!"

Ash plays a flourish as three girls trudge onstage, fanning themselves. "We are three maidens fair..." they chorus over the flute's song.

"Mika..." the first girl says.

"Nara..." the second girl says.

"Rena..." the third girl says.

"Walking in the garden for some fresh air." all three girls chorus again. The scene continues like this:

"Through Lugia's gate..."

"To the Goldeen pond..."

"To the gazebo..."

"Hoping for it to be cool."

"The heat..."

"The heat..."

"is oppressive!"

"The sun..."

"The sun..."

"is excessive!"

"So we go..."

"Fanning high..."

"Fanning low..."

"Fanning, oh..." Laughter goes up at the third girl's exaggerated groan.

"Fanning so...so...slow..." the girls sigh.

The rest of the orchestra joins in with the flute as the girls exit to some applause. The Ho'oh puppet then boasts "With one breath, rivers run dry, wells grow thirsty, flowers dry up, and trees wither and die."

A harp riff is heard as the thousand voices ask "Kaitou, are you happy?"

"Happy? I am the most powerful Pokemon besides the Great Arceus!" the Ho'oh puppet boasts.

At this, a sound effect of thunder plays and a harp glissando plays as a Manaphy puppet appears. "I am Manaphy, Prince of the Sea, dancing about in sky and sea." it announces. "Through my hands come water, hail, snow...blizzards blow! Across the sapphire sky I go, casting a shadow on the world below."

"You dare come near me?" the Ho'oh puppet gasps over a tense riff.

"Great firebird flying so high, you are blazing hot, but I, Manaphy, can make thunder shout, and blot you out!" the Manaphy puppet retorts.

The orchestra plays a tense riff as more "lightning" flashes. "No shadow can turn day to night!" the Ho'oh puppet protests.

"Fight!" the Manaphy puppet yells, putting up its hands as if to say "put up your dukes"

"No power of darkness can steal my light!" the Ho'oh puppet boasts.

"Fight!" the Manaphy puppet demands.

"Fight!" the Ho'oh puppet cries.

With that, the orchestra and the harp play an adventurous theme as the two puppets "fight". After a few minutes of "fighting", the Manaphy puppet delivers the final blow to a clash of cymbals.

The spotlight blinks over to Brock. "The heavens are still, the battle done, the Prince of the Sea eclipsed the sun."

"So water is stronger than fire?" the Ho'oh puppet muses. "I wish I were Manaphy..."

The Raikou puppet appears off to stage right. "Whether you long for riches or just a fish, just say the word, and I'll grant your wish. Any wish you say, I'll grant you, any wish you say will come true. By the power of Lord Arceus in heaven, Manaphy you will be!"

With that, the puppet hums a familiar melody and Brock plays a mystical melody as the Ho'oh puppet is shrouded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando, the gong sounds, and the Manaphy puppet appears from the smoke.

A spotlight appears on Brock. "In every moon, dark days appear. Kaitou, unfortunately, does not see clear." he intones as he plays a soft interlude. "His eyes are blinded by the flames of power, which will need feeding every hour. A wise one once to me did repeat, 'When you buy shoes, be sure to measure feet.'

"I am Manaphy, Prince of the Sea!" the Manaphy puppet announces. "I stop the sun, make rivers run and overflow. Shake the earth with torrents! Blow, wind, blow!" As if on cue, the flute mimics a whistling wind noise.

"I throw open the windows of the sky, and let the tears fall from my eye!" the Manaphy puppet continues over the flute. "River, rise! Water, flood the land! I am your master, this I command!"

"Lightning" flashes, nearly drowning out the flute as Whitlea unrolls a large royal blue cloth. "Over the valley the water creeps--higher, higher, higher..." the Manaphy puppet notes. At this point the "water" has completely covered the stage. Then, Whitlea shakes the cloth to make "waves". "Trees are uprooted, and Pokemon flee, for no one is as mighty as me!" the Manaphy puppet announces over the flute.

An Ursaring puppet "walks" in the scene. "I am an Ursaring," it says in a deep, gentle voice. "When the day is warm and fair, I growl and glare. When the day is snowy and blowy, I smile and gloat. Because every day, cold or fair, I wear my fur coat. When Raikou does roar, and Manaphy begins to pour water from the sky; I do not hide inside, like a Kricketot. If I get wet, I have no sneezes, because I give a big hug that squeezes me dry. Laughter wafts through the crowd as the Ursaring puppet "hugs" itself as it lumbers offstage.

A Chimchar puppet romps onstage. "I am a little Chimchar." it says in a high pitched female voice. "One day, on my way to find shady shelter, a Cheri tree bowed its head. It said 'Welcome," just to me. Up the tree with a hop, I made my home at the top. Happy was I to live so high in a beautiful, blossoming Cheri tree. But now, thunder rolls, the gates of heaven open on me, high in a leaky and creaky Cheri tree." Laughter goes up at this. "Down I slide, hoping to hide from the raging Gyarados in the sky. Rain is plopping, I am hopping, never stopping. There has to be a reason why! I think there's monkey business going on!" With that, it romps offstage.

"The world is covered in my dark cloud..." the Manaphy puppet notes. "Lightning, come forth!"

Whitlea triggers some white lights wired to her fingers, making a bright white flash light up the stage as a sound effect of thunder plays. "Light the sky! Let thunderbolts fly!" the Manaphy puppet commands as the white light flashes again and again. "High and low, low and high, lightning flash! Torrents crash! Gales lash! I am the mghty one!"

A harp riff is heard over the "storm" as the thousand voices ask "Kaitou, are you happy?" They are barely audible over the noise.

"Happy? All things tremble and flee! All bow to me!" the Manaphy puppet boasts.

Just then, a Lucario puppet appears at the top of a mountain setpiece. "I am Lucario, the guardian of this mountain." it announces in a mystical voice. "I do not tremble. I do not flee. I stand forever, for eternity."

The "storm" calms down, save for a spotlight on the Manaphy puppet. "So the mountain will not bend nor break, despite my power? If only I were Lucario..."

The Raikou puppet appears off to stage right on the now cleaned stage. "Whether you long for riches or just a fish, just say the word, and I'll grant your wish. Any wish you say, I'll grant you, any wish you say will come true. By the power of Lord Arceus in heaven, Lucario you will be!"

With that, the puppet hums a familiar melody and Brock plays a mystical melody as the Manaphy puppet is shrouded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando, the gong sounds, and the Lucario puppet appears from the smoke.

Brock appears in his spotlight, with another spotlight on the Lucario puppet. "You have now seen four wishes." he notes over his tense interlude. Kaitou still seeks true happiness, and the Raikou prince still searches for an answer, all because of greener pastures. A wise one once told me, 'The fingers on your hand all have strength, but each one is a different length.'" He lets that hang as the lights come up on the Lucario puppet atop the "mountain".

"I am Lucario." the Lucario speaks again. "Alone I stand, atop this great tower of stone. Keeping watch from the snowy peak, with the Legendaries I speak!"

Brock plays a prayerful interlude as the Raikou puppet enters the scene. "Great Lord Arceus, the answer to your question I now know. A happy man is mighty. Kaitou has proved it so." it prays. "Release me from this Raikou skin, and let my future with Cresselia begin!"

Some bells are heard as the lights come up on the "heaven" section of the set. "Oh, Mamoru, you do not yet know, you are as blind as Kaitou." the Cresselia puppet scolds. "Power can be misused, and might can be misused. I fear our wedding day is still far, far away."

"Lord Arceus does not answer..." the Raikou puppet worries. "Great wave guider, tell Lord Arceus you are happy!"

"Kaitou, are you happy?" the thousand voices ask as if on cue.

"Happy?" the Lucario puppet asks. "Earth and heavens bow, for no one can touch me now."

A young boy in Asian-esque work clothes walks onstage. "I am Takuya, a stonemason's apprentice." he begins. "Every day, I take my chisel and mallet..." he waits as Whitlea hands him the requested items. "and travel to the mountain to cut stones." With that, he pantomimes hammering the mountain setpiece as the woodblocks provide the sound.

"Oh, I feel a pain in my side!" the Lucario puppet groans. "A stonemason chips away at me. Please Lord Arceus, make me a stonemason once more, as I used to be!"

The Raikou puppet appears off to stage right. "Whether you long for riches or just a fish, just say the word, and I'll grant your wish. Any wish you say, I'll grant you, any wish you say will come true. By the power of Lord Arceus in heaven, a stonemason you will be!"

With that, the puppet hums a familiar melody and Brock plays a mystical melody as the Lucario puppet is shrouded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando, the gong sounds, and the boy playing Kaitou appears from the smoke in his original costume to thunderous applause.

Brock comments from his nook at stage right. "And so, we return to where we started our story. The wise ones spoke true when they said 'Man often makes a foolish wish, don't climb a tree to catch a fish.'"

"I am Kaitou, a humble yet happy stonemason." Kaitou smiles. "Each day I travel to the mountain."

"Could it be..." the Raikou puppet gasps. "Kaitou is happy?"

"Yes." the boy replies as he "works". "I have learned to be happy just the way I am."

Brock plays a prayerful melody as the Raikou puppet "prays". "Great Lord, I was deceived. The answer is not power, wealth, or glory. The one content to be just as he is, he is truly happy."

Then, Brock plays a long glissando as the Raikou puppet is surrounded in smoke. On the harp's final glissando and a triumphant stinger from the orchestra, Rylan, clad in an ornate gold, blue, and purple robe, steps from the smoke and hugs the Cresselia puppet as it descends to the stage with the Lugia and Jirachi puppets.

"And so, Prince Mamoru and Cresselia were wed, and wedding bells rang all through the heavens and on the earth in celebration." Brock concludes as the curtains close on the happy scene. "Kaitou never forgot Prince Mamoru and the lesson he had learned. Prince Mamoru became the Herald of the Evening Star, lighting the way for Cresselia every night. Their love lasted for all time--so ends the tale of 'Kaitou and the Magic Tree'."

He turns to exit, then adds "One more word from the wise ones before I leave you...may all your wishes be sincere, and may all your dreams come true!" He plays one last glissando as his spotlight blinks off, ending the play.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" the crowd roars as the lights come up for the curtain call. Brock bows first, then the orchestra, then the puppeteers, and then the actors. But the biggest ovation is saved for Whitlea as she removes her costume's hood, allowing the audience to see who is inside the silver suit as she takes a bow. Enthusiastic applause rings through the theater as the entire cast takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 2nd May 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Sidestory 1: Kaitou and the Magic Tree)

*APPLAUDS!!!*

Awesome!!! :D gosh, I wish I could tell stories as well as you...

Blog Entries

::takes a bow::

This is why I didn't have an update on Monday nor Wednesday--I was busy working on this.

Blog Entries

-claps at sonic speeds-

WONDERFUL!!!

I finally got around to catching up, and all I can say is wonderful! You are incredible at transmitting stories and giving it that fantasy-like feel. It is really enjoyable how you keep our attention despite the pace being quite slow. Keep up the good work!

Blog Entries

Thank you--look for more tales from Japan, because there is an anime on in Japan now that tells three of their folk tales an episode, so when I see one of those stories that might work in the Pokeworld, I copy down the bones of the story and adapt it accordingly. "The Miltank Bride" was one such story I used from that anime. (when I do, I tell you which episode it's in and which story it is)

When i have Brock and the gang put on a story as a play, I consider it a sidestory

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 8: The Legend of Shane the Shaymin)

Week 8: The Legend of Shane the Shaymin

(real tale: Hans the Hedgehog)

"Thank you!" Brock called to the cheering crowd as he charged onstage. After making sure that the whistle he was planning to use in his tale that week was safe in his pocket, he settled into his chair and took his guitar.

He played a short bluesy riff to warm up, making some in the crowd scream as he sang <i>Yeah, yeah...</i> along with his riff. "Wanna hear another one?" he jokingly asked the crowd. Some laughter went up in reply--the crowd seemed to know Brock was only kidding.

A quick E chord signaled the beginning of the story. "There was once a couple who had no children of their own. The man was understandably upset, and vowed he would do whatever it took to have a child, even if it was born with quills!" Giggles go up as the crowd pictured a human baby with quills. "Imagine the couple's shock when the woman gave birth to a Shaymin some months later! The crowd's laughter turned to awe--how was it possible for a human to give birth to a Legendary Pokemon?

Brock just plays a sad interlude. "They named the Shaymin Shane, and treated him as a son. Shane had many things that a human child did--toys, friends to play with, and even a little bed of straw by the stove, since his quills would ruin a real bed. His mother loved him very much, but his father did not--for he was ashamed at having a Pokemon for a son."

He sets the guitar aside and gets up from the chair. "One day, when Shane was of age to go out into the world and seek his fortune, he asked his father to buy him a silver whistle, so he would have something to pass the time on his travels." Excited whispers race through the crowd as Brock retrieves the whistle from his pocket. "His father bought him the whistle and gave him a Combusken as a mount, so he wouldn't tire from walking. With his mother's blessing, Shane left that day, and rode until he came to a forest's edge. After climbing up into a tree, Shane saw many Pokemon romping about on the nearby plains. So with his Combusken keeping watch, he spent hours serenading the forest Pokemon with many airs and dances." With that, he plays "The Silver Sword" as an interlude.

After the applause dies down, Brock continues. "Years went by, and one day, a king passed through the forest. He had been on a long journey, and had lost his way. He heard the whistle echoing through the forest, and ordered one of his servants to see if the minstrel knew the way back to his kingdom. The servant thought he was seeing things when he saw that the performer was no minstrel, but a Shaymin and his Combusken standing guard." Laughter wafts through the crowd at the servant's likely reaction. "Nevertheless, the servant asked Shane if he knew the way to his lord's kingdom. Shane agreed to guide them, in return for the first thing the king met on his return."

Brock then pockets the whistle and returns to his chair and guitar. "The king agreed, and Shane reminded him he would claim his end of the bargain in a year. The king arrived home not long after, and his daughter the princess ran to meet him. He told her about his encounter with Shane on the road and his promise. The princess laughed--there was no way she would marry a Shaymin!" Laughter goes up in agreement.

He plays a calm interlude. "A few more years went by, and Shane made his keep growing a few crops and playing music for the Pokemon of the forest and plains. One day, a second king passed through the forest, on his way home. He sent his servant on ahead to find someone who knew the way to his kingdom. Shane agreed to help on condition of receiving whatever met him first on his return. The servant agreed, and Shane told him he would claim his due in a year."

Tense whispers go up at this--which king would keep their promise?

"When the second king returned home, his daughter--we'll call her Liana--ran to meet him." Brock continues. "Princess Liana was as wise as she was beautiful, and listened in amazement as her father told her of how he met Shane on the road. She concluded that the resentment and anger in Shane's father's heart had led to Shane being born as a Shaymin, and that only love's first kiss would allow him to become human." The children in the audience chatter excitedly at this.

"A year passed, and Shane left for the first kingdom." Brock goes on. "The king had left a life sized doll that looked exactly like the princess in her room, and ordered the guards to arrest any Shaymins that rode Combuskens. Sure enough, the guards moved to arrest Shane as he approached, but Shane demanded to see the princess, or else."

"Or else what?" a boy challenges.

"Or else their kingdom would fall into ruin." Brock replies. "The guards reluctantly took Shane into the princess' room, but when Shane saw the doll, he attacked the guards and rode away."

He stops his song to interject "Needless to say, that kingdom fell into ruin not long after that!"

Then, his song turns majestic. "Shane then left for the second kingdom, where he was given a hero's welcome. Princess Liana met him, and told her father that she loved Shane very much. Then, she kissed him..." Brock plays a soft harmonic D chord to represent a kiss. "and Shane transformed into a human boy, clad in green, gold and silver." Cheers go up at the stronger and fuller D chord that represents Shane's transformation. "Shane's father heard the news, and wished his son his heartiest blessings and forgiveness for mistreating him." Brock concludes over a joyous song. "Princess Liana and Shane were married, and they lived happily ever after--the people of that land never forget the legend of Shane the Shaymin."

The children's applause is the loudest as Brock takes a bow.....
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 30th April 2012 at 01:03 PM.

I've been meaning to ask this- how did you get so GOOD at this?! How do you write stories so well?! Can you teach me how to be as good as you?!

Blog Entries

Nice and smooth transitions, and I also like the changes (original story is all like "rolf I can rip mah skin off and be normal now!") makes more sense this way :P

Blog Entries

The original weirded me out too, so that's why I made it a transformation via love's first kiss.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 9: Christa's Promise)

Week 9: Christa's Promise

(real tale: Golden Curls and the Promise)

<i>This is it.</i> Brock smiled as he tuned his guitar. <i>I finally get to tell the story Terra told me.</i>

He looked back to see the entire group of the Fireside Players looking back at him with huge grins, as if silently telling him <i>Good luck!</i>. "Thanks, guys." he replied before running out to meet the cheering crowd.

<i>This is for you, Terra.</i> he smiled as he settled in his chair and began playing a calm melody. "In a land far away, a poor man and a lady in black met each other on the road. The man was in deep despair over how little he made, and told the lady in black that he occasionally wished he could die, he was so sad." Panicked gasps go up at this. "The lady in black took pity on the man, and offered him a bag of gold in return for the treasure he had at home. The man eagerly accepted the deal, and returned home to his wife and daughter--we'll call her Christa." The crowd roared in approval of the name.

"Some years went by, and the man thought nothing of the encounter." Brock continues before his interlude shifts to a minor key. "But one day, as Christa played in the field by the house, the lady in black appeared in a black coach, and spirited her away to a majestic castle far from home."

Tense murmurs raced through the crowd. "The lady in black told Christa that she could explore every part of the castle except for the hundredth room. She left on a seven year journey not long after. For those seven years, Christa explored the castle, but never set foot in the hundredeth room."

Some in the audience whisper their predictions on just what is in the hundredth room as Brock plays another interlude. "The lady in black left on another journey, and seven more years went by. But on the morning of her sixteenth birthday, Christa heard singing coming from the hundredth room, and wondered just what was inside."

He then begins playing a familiar tune. "When Christa peeked in the hundredth room, she saw eight spirits and their leader singing an oddly pleasent melody, which went something like this..." Brock then proceeds to sing to the tune of the Eight Melodies <i>Gimmo a hangio...Rollo an div no...Drondo el retho pen, as fyl tindfelio. Miorgo ar fanan! Adr li seg ken, sendo fen feg ken. Rog a hangio oth sendo, on sendo.</i>

Applause fills the air at the gibberish song. "The spirit king told Christa not to tell anyone what she had seen." Brock continues. "The lady in black demanded to know what Christa had seen in the hundredth room, but Christa didn't say a word. In her anger, the lady in black cast a spell on Christa..." He plays a D minor chord for effect as he cries "Know the world of silence! Mute!"

Gasps go up from the crowd. "Christa was sent away, unable to say a word. A year or two went by, and prince met her on the road. He fell in love with the voiceless girl, and before long, they had married and had a child of their own, a son. For a time, Christa forgot all about the lady in black."

His tense riff signals that his story's not over yet. "One night, the lady in black came, intent on stealing Christa's newborn son. Although Christa fought hard to protect her child, the lady in black stole him away as she did to her many years before. The struggle left her lips bloodied, which made the guards think Christa herself had killed her own son." Panicked whispers fill the air. "The punishment for killing a child was death by burning, but before they lit Christa's pyre, Christa heard a familiar song as the spirits surrounded the lady in black, cleansing her!" Cheers go up from the crowd in relief--maybe Christa wouldn't die after all!

"The new lady in white released Christa from the pyre, and gave her son back to her." Brock goes on over a peaceful interlude. "She restored Christa's voice to her, and explained that an evil sorceror had cursed her. Only a faithful and courageous young lady like her would free her and turn her white once more."

"Christa told everyone about her encounter with the former lady in black, and how she longed to see her family again." Brock concludes over a festive melody. "The prince invited Christa's family to his castle, and they all lived happily ever after...and that ends the tale of 'Christa's Promise'.

The crowd roars with applause as Brock takes a bow, but backstage, the Fireside Players' applause was the loudest of all....

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, I'm not sure why but this week's feels like it was missing something, not sure what. This time it felt more like Brock was simply telling the story instead of bringing it to life, not sure why though.

Blog Entries

To be fair, this was hard for me to adapt too--I have another play sidestory coming up to make up for it, though

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Interlude 4: Return to the Stage)

Interlude 4: Return to the Stage

"Get this, fan mail is still pouring in about 'Kaitou and the Magic Tree'" Yuki reports as Brock arrives backstage. "They all want to know when we're doing our next Gekijou play."

"How about in a couple of weeks?" Lotta asked as she joined Yuki and Brock in the room. "I'm taking a drama class for my fine arts requirement, and we're talking about writing Gekijou plays of our own." She paused to get a stack of paper out from her bag, then went on. "Our assignment is to pick a fairy tale and turn it into a Gekijou script."

"Do you have to perform said script?" Brock wondered.

"No, all you need to do is turn in the script." Lotta replied. "However, if you get some people to perform it and tape it, or perform it live for the Spring Festival, you get extra credit."

"When does the Spring Festival begin this year, Akane?" Brock asked as a red haired girl entered the room.

Akane looked up at a calendar on the bulletin board. "The Spring Festival begins in two weeks." she reported. "So if we start now with casting and rehearsals, we could have a complete performance ready by opening day."

"Have you started writing your script yet, Lotta?" Yuki asked.

"All I have is a cast list and a name so far." Lotta confessed as she showed Brock her notebook, which had the title "The Legend of the Aspear Girl" at the top of the page. The name "Cinderella" was next to the title in parenthesis.

"Okay, so your play is based on 'Cinderella'..." Brock mused as he studied the cast list. "He smiled when he saw a certain name at the top of the cast list. "Thank you for including Kashu in the cast."

"I've already asked some members of the Gekijou ensemble on campus to play the music for me." Lotta went on. "We at least have four of the big five instruments in such an ensemble--you on harp, a bansi, a tikin, and a fukiashi."

"Say...Ash has a bansi too--and he's fairly good on it too." Brock interjected.

"Okay, so that's two bansis--I'm still negotiating to get a dara on board." Lotta continued. "I can also get some more tikins and fukiashis, if you want."

"How bout it? How big of an orchestra do you think we need?" Brock asks as the rest of the Fireside Players enter the room, piqued in the conversation.

"Sixteen to twenty players sounds about right." Akane suggests. "Two of each melody instrument, and then ten more percussion."

"Why not thirty players, so we have three of each instrument?" Rylan suggests. More suggestions and protests fill the air:

"Thirty's too many!"

"Where would we find people to play those instruments?"

"Isn't ten enough?"

"Then we wouldn't have any percussion!"

"Oh yeah..."

"Wait!" Akane cries, silencing the uproar. "What are the two most popular suggestions?" she asks Brock.

"From what I'm hearing, most everyone wants either a twenty piece or a twenty five piece orchestra." Brock replied as he fished a coin from his pocket.

Akane motions for the group to gather around her and Brock. "Let's flip a coin to determine the orchestra's size."

"This is heads..." Brock pauses to show the group the side with a Pikachu face. "This is tails..." He then shows the side with the Kanto League's crest. All is quiet as Brock flips the coin.

Rylan examines the coin when it lands of the floor a few seconds later. "It's heads--twenty players." Soft murmurs go up in reluctant agreement--when it came to disputes, Brock's word was final.

"Okay, so Brock's playing Kashu..." Lotta writes Brock's name next to "Kashu" in her cast list.

<i>Ti piacerebbe giocare il ruolo principale nel vostro gioco?</i> Brock asks Lotta in Italian.

Lotta's eyes widen once she realizes what Brock is asking her. "Honest? You mean it?" she gasps. Brock nods. "I've never played the lead role in anything before!" She joyfully hugs Brock before proudly writing "Me!" next to the role of "Nashi". "Next is Hokori, who often calls Nashi 'buta'..."

"May I?" Yuki asks.

Lotta writes down Yuki's name next to "Hokori". "Any other volunteers for roles?"

"Dibs on the prince!" a navy haired boy announces as he brings in lunch for the group, much to Rylan's surprise.

"I wanted to play the prince, Kano!" Rylan yells.

Brock is quick to break up the arguement before it escalates. "You played the prince in our last Gekijou play, so let's let Kano have a turn." he tells Rylan.

"All right..." Rylan heaves a sigh of relief as he takes one of the mini vegetable sandwiches Kano has prepared.

"Mm, where'd you learn to make this?" Yuki asks as she bites into her sandwich.

"Just followed Brock's recipe--lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, some mozzerella cheese, and my secret olive sauce." Kano replies.

"I would be honored to play the stepmother." Akane replies. "It would be a challenge for me, as I've never played an outgoing role like it before."

"Okay!" Lotta writes Akane's and Kano's names by their respective roles. "The Taillows and the Ponytas will be puppets, and there's four prop people..."

"Ooh, it would be cool if each of them matched the four elements of the League!" Rylan suggests. "Fire, water, thunder, and earth."

"and I can recruit some acts for the festival scene." Brock offers before addressing Rylan again. "Which color suit would you want to be?" he asks as he spreads four bodysuits--one red, one blue, one yellow, and one green--on the floor. "Fire and thunder will be male, and water and earth will be female."

"Thunder." Rylan replies, taking the yellow suit.

"Bear in mind you'll be completely covered opening night, so wear the suit as often as you can." Brock instructs Rylan and the other three prop people. "This way, you can get used to being inside it, and learn to see where you're going through the hood."

"Don't the prop people have names?" a girl asks as she toys with a sleeve on the blue suit.

"They will." Lotta replies. "When Brock announces you, make an entrance fitting your element."

Inspired, Brock dashes out of the room. He returns a few moments later, tuning his harp. Once he is ready, he plays a sweeping chord. "The four spirits of creation will first set the stage--Kasai, the spirit of fire..." He plays a majestic chord as the boy holding the red suit twirls a little. "Mizu, the spirit of water..." He plays a soft chord as the girl holding the blue suit poses cutely. "Raku, the spirit of thunder..." Raiden makes a flying jump into the room as Brock plays a sharp chord. "and Hana, the spirit of earth." He plays a peaceful chord as the girl holding the green suit spins into the room, holding her hands as if mimicing a growing tree.

"Bravo!" Lotta applauds. "That was perfect!"

"Let's make this the best play ever!" Kano agrees, making everyone cheer...

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another upcoming Genkijou play :)

The last one was great to read, so I'm quite exited to read the next one.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to writing that too.

"Christa's Promise" was a little hard to adapt, but I have some easy ones coming up (as well as another sidestory)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast