EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Live From the Fireside (Week 26: Beedrill's Search)

"Live From the Fireside"

Week 1: The Giant's Captive

(real tale: The Giant's Captive)

A brown haired boy smiled as he relaxed in the makeup chair--another week, another round of songs, sketches, and his personal favorite, sharing a piece of the world's lore. Most of the time, it was one of the many folktales he had learned across five regions, but every once in a while, he would relate a tale from his travels or a family memory. The public loved every minute, and millions more tuned in across the world to see just what tale he would tell that week.

He didn't just stand on the stage and speak to his audience, either--he would perform the voices of almost every character, act out the action of the plot, and play interludes on various instruments; his favorite being the yellow brown acoustic guitar that awaited him in the wings.

"You're on in ten minutes, Brock." the makeup artist reminded him as he got up from the chair. Brock just smiled as if to tell the navy haired girl "I know." and jogged off to the wings, where he began to tune the waiting guitar, ever aware of the bustle of the crew and the house band's spirited reel entertaining the audience onstage.

Once satisfied his instrument was in tune, he started the familiar riff that began the rock classic "Wish You Were Here", but could only play it through once before the roar of the audience signaled that the house band had finished. <i>My turn.</i>

Guitar in tow, Brock made his way onstage while the lights were down and settled into a chair at center stage. He then started to play a more peaceful melody--the song that signaled to the theater audience and the millions more watching on TV around the world that he had a story to tell.

He began his tale as the last chord of his song faded away. "Once a fisherman and his son--let's call him Jiro--were at sea, when a terrifying giant appeared from the water and snatched Jiro from the boat. All Jiro's father could do was watch as his son was spirited away to the giant's lair." He played a tense riff for effect, making murmurs waft through the crowd. The giant took Jiro to a pitch black room and locked him inside, telling him to not light a fire under any circumstances."

The audience listened to the guitar's mournful melody as Brock went on. "Jiro huddled under a blanket, but the biting wind made him shiver, and on top of that, kept hearing ghostly noises. But with no fire, he couldn't tell if they were other prisoners or ghosts. On the third night, Jiro decided he was going to defy the giant's instructions and build a fire." He then stopped his song to interject "But with what?" Nervous giggles wafted through the crowd.

Giggles became uproarious laughter as Brock segued into the Mission Impossible theme. "So that night, Jiro snuck out of the cave, took one of the boats moored to the shore, and sailed back to his father's house. Once there, he requested some matches, flint, and tinder. As he hid the items in his son's clothing, Jiro's father told Jiro that if he was planning to escape the giant's lair, his wits would be the most valuable thing he could have." He stops the song to interject "Thankfully, the giant had no idea Jiro had gone and returned."

After playing a tense interlude, Brock went on. "Jiro lit his fire, and found out the source of the crying he had heard--a princess!" Some girls in the audience whispered excitedly as he continued. "She had not seen any light in some time, so she yelped in surprise when she saw the firelight. However, that surprised yelp was enough to wake the giant, and it chased after Jiro!" Gasps went up from the crowd at this as the guitar played a frantic melody.

Sighs of relief went up as the song calmed down, but all eyes were on Brock as he continued. "Jiro finally lost the giant and took shelter in an alcove somewhere on the island. As he caught his breath, Arceus appeared to him and said..." In a low and deep male voice, he intoned "Long has the giant caused suffering in the land, but if you were to slay him now, he would still live, as his soul is not in his body."

As himself, he interjected "Jiro asked Arceus how he could shatter the giant's soul, and Arceus replied..." In his "Arceus" voice again, Brock assured the audience "On the other side of the ocean in a palace courtyard stands a post. Hit this post with your finger, and a sword will fall down from the sky. With this sword, kill an Ekans in the forest, and a Buneary will appear and race away. Catch that Buneary and cut off its head, and a Pidove will appear. If you can catch the Pidove when it flies to heaven, an egg will fall, and in that egg is the giant's soul."

Some applause went up at Brock's skill at performing his persona. "Just as Arceus left Jiro, the giant discovered him!"

"Oh no!" a girl gasped, making some people laugh.

"Jiro was taken to a high mountain peak, where he was left to die." Brock continued. It pained him to tell this part, but at the same time, his favorite part of the story was coming up. "Jiro spent two days shivering in the cold before working up the courage to climb down. The mountain path led to a forest, where he found four mages arguing over how best to divide the meat of a Stantler they had killed. Jiro skillfully cut the Stantler into four even portions. The mages each gave Jiro a mystical gem as a reward for helping them. The fire mage gave Jiro a ruby that would grant him Entei's strength and power. The wind mage gave Jiro an amethyst that would allow him to soar like the twin Eons. The water mage gave Jiro a sapphire that would allow him to swim like Kyorge. The earth mage gave Jiro an emerald that would allow him to dig as masterfully as Celebi."

Awed murmurs went up from the crowd, but Brock just smiled, pleased that the audience was enjoying his tale. "Just then, the giant found Jiro again, but this time, Jiro was prepared--he held the ruby high and called..." He paused to play a D chord before he sang <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i>

The crowd applauded the sung gibberish phrase, but listened as Brock went on. "Sure enough, Jiro glowed red with the power of Entei's fire, and managed to throw the giant to the ground. While this didn't kill the giant by any means, it did buy Jiro enough time to get to the shore minutes before the spell wore off." He played a "running" melody before continuing "Knowing the giant could find him at any moment, Jiro held the sapphire high and called..." Brock paused to play another D chord before singing another gibberish phrase. <i>Rou iitsa von selga vichi....</i>

The sung phrase riveted the audience. "Jiro glowed blue with the power of water, and easily swam to the palace courtyard with Kyorge's speed and grace. He easily found the post and touched his finger to it, and just as Arceus had said, a beautiful sword fell from the sky and landed at his feet." Brock continued. "Jiro wasted no time in killing an Ekans, and just as Arceus had said, a Buneary darted from the brush. Jiro knew that a human had no chance of catching up to a Buneary naturally, so he found his amethyst and sang..." He played another D chord and sing another gibberish phrase, this one in a minor key. <i>Karuto, iichiida shou...</i>

A wind sound effect filled the room as Brock intoned "Jiro glowed with the purple energy of the wind, which gave him enough speed to catch up to the Buneary and cut off its head." He waited for the "wind" to die down before continuing "No sooner had he done this, did a Pidove appear and fly to the heavens...just as the spell wore off. So he evoked the amethyst again-- <i>Karuto, ichiida shou....</i>

The crowd listened for a sound effect of some kind, but no wind came. "This time, Jiro was able to soar through the sky, much like Latios and Latias. He caught up to the Pidove and caught it, causing an egg to fall from the sky. After he landed and the wind magic had worn off, he took the emerald and invoked the earth magic within." Brock then sang another gibberish phrase in D minor. <i>Imultao, ame no ga bakeno...</i> "Once Jiro had dug through the earth and located the egg, he returned to the island and smashed it on the rocks, killing the giant!" Cheers went up at this.

"The princess was elated that someone had finally set her free." Brock concluded over a triumphant interlude. "They returned to Jiro's homeland, where they fell in love and married not long after their adventure. But Jiro kept the four magic gems with him, just in case he needed their power again. So ends the tale of 'The Giant's Captive'"
    "
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!" the crowd roared. Brock just set his guitar aside, got up from the chair, and took a sweeping bow for the crowd. <i>Thank you all so much!</i> he smiled. <i>Enthusiastic crowds like this give me hope that the lore of our world will continue to flourish!</i>
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 20th August 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 1: The Giant's Captive)

It was a very interesting story to pick for the “pokémonification” (only word awesome enough) since its one I had never heard before. The one thing which bugs me to no end though, is....can Celebi really dig? I would have figured something like…..Regirock, or Dunsparce, or Durant. The description was quite nice, and I could imagine it being like a children’s show on TV…”Big Bro Brock’s Story Time” or some other silly name. There were a few spots where you used the “ in a weird place or forgot to put one, but no biggie. I look forwards to some more Rocking Tales!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 1: The Giant's Captive)

I chose Celebi because he is the Voice of the Forest, which I asumed meant earth magic.

The collection's title refers to the theater this collection is broadcast from in Pewter.

I'll have a new tale on tap for tomorrow

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 2: The Minstrel's New Song)

Week 2: The Minstrel's New Song

(real tale: The Piper's New Music)

Brock smiled as he made his way into the wings--he had another singing tale up his sleeve for the week. This time around, he was going to be singing in a real language instead of made up gibberish.

"What <i>racconto</i> are you telling this week, Brock?" a female voice asked.

He whirled around to see a auburn haired girl walking to meet him in the wings. "Ah, Lotta, hello...I haven't seen you very much lately." he stammered as he made sure his guitar and a silver tin whistle were accounted for. While Carlotta, or Lotta, as she was affectionately called for short, was beautiful; Brock knew he had to maintain a professional relationship with the entire cast of "Tales from the Fireside". That meant no euphoric waxing on how beautiful Lotta--or any of the other female cast members--were.

Lotta had joined the cast fairly recently as an intern, replacing an outgoing cast member that wished to focus on an art career. While her duties currently consisted of building and organizing props, eventually she would join the main ensemble of cast members. When she was not on the set, she was in school at Pewter University. Brock had found out that she was taking Italian to fulfill her foreign language requirement, so when he had a few minutes to spare during rehearsals, he would serve as her conversation partner so she could practice speaking, and he could brush up on his own Italian skills.

"I had an important exam this week, so I haven't made it to the set very much." Lotta replied before changing the subject. "Tell me about your <i>storia</i>"

"Well... <i>La storia che sto raccontando questa settimana è di circa un menestrello</i>. Brock began, making sure to speak slowly and clearly so Lotta could understand him.

"The story I am telling this week is about...a minstrel?" Lotta guessed, unsure of the last word.

Brock gave a nod of approval as he tuned the guitar, assuring Lotta she had translated his sentence correctly. <i>Beh, in origine era qualcuno che ha suonato la cornamusa, ma in primo luogo, quelli che sono costosi ...</i>

Lotta motioned for Brock to stop. "What is 'la cornamusa?'"

"Bagpipes." Brock explained.

Lotta giggled at the mental image of Brock in full Highlander attire playing a set of bagpipes before replying in Italian <i>E 'probabile che infastidire molte persone che praticano la cornamusa troppo ...</i> Both of them laughed at this before Lotta asked <i>Quale strumento hai sostituire le cornamuse con?</i>

<i>Qualcosa di molto più piccolo e più bello suonare.</i> Brock replied.

"Something much smaller and nicer sounding?" Lotta translated, piqued.

Brock nodded as he showed Lotta the whistle. <i>Non ho intenzione di suonare semplicemente ancora, ma te lo suonare per voi.</i> Some applause snapped him from his conversation. <i>Devo andare ora ... è il momento per la mia parte dello spettacolo.</i>

"Time for your part of the show, huh?" Lotta smiled. "Thank you again for the conversation, Brock...and <i>buona fortuna!</i> Brock nodded, took his instruments, and made his way onstage to greet the cheering crowd.

Once settled in his chair, he began his tale. "In a far away land, there was once a minstrel who made his living traveling from town to town, playing his whistle." Piqued murmurs went up from the crowd at the tiny flute in Brock's hands. "Sometimes people left him coins in appriciation for the many airs and dances he played, and sometimes they did not. The minstrel didn't mind either way--he enjoyed playing music, and all he wanted was to see people happy. Sadly, happiness does not buy food, and some nights, the minstrel ate like a king, and others, he would go to bed hungry. But he didn't despair, he continued traveling and playing for people just the same."

With that, he took the whistle and played the tune "The Meowth's Call" as an interlude. The crowd applauded at the joyful melody's conclusion, never mind the few missed notes.

"One day, the minstrel was passing down a road leading into a valley, when he saw an unusual looking green egg." Brock continued. He wasn't sure what sort of Pokemon lay green eggs--if it even belonged to a Pokemon at all. Who knew whether it was some evil spirit inside the egg?"

The crowd murmured for a moment, interested in what was inside the egg. "Finally, the minstrel mustered his courage, and cracked the egg. And who should come out but Celebi!" Brock announced, playing a triumphant guitar flourish for effect. "Celebi thanked the minstrel for setting him free, and promised him he would never go hungry again before disappearing into the woods. The minstrel thought nothing of the odd encounter, and went on his way."

More murmurs went up as Brock went on. "When the minstrel arrived in the next town and started playing tunes, he swore he could hear Celebi singing along with his whistle..." He then began a mystical sounding melody on the guitar, over which he sang in Italian <i>Venite a me monete e gioielli venire a me, tutti quelli che appartengono ai malvagi. Mai più gli uomini ricchi ladri, ora che Celebi è qui - sei ingannato! Ah....Ah....</i>

He waited for the applause over his song to die down before continuing. "As Celebi continued to sing, coins and jewels of all kinds--rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds, and pearls--went flying from the pockets, bags and purses of the marchants that charged too much, the greedy landlords that demanded exorbitant rents, and the thieves that stalked the alleyways. The townsfolk watched in amazement at the flying coins and jewels, but the minstrel kept playing, and Celebi sang again..." With that, he began the mystical melody again. <i>Il menestrello suona per la gioia, si vede, così egli è il più ricco tra di voi. Egli ha dato senza prendere molto, e ora lo raccoglierà ciò che è dovuto. Ah...Ah....</i>

The crowd applauded again, but Lotta's applause from backstage was the most enthusiastic. "With that, all the coins and jewels went flying into the minstrel's pockets and bags, and even into the little sleeve where he kept his whistle." Brock continued, to some awed gasps from the crowd. "The thieving folk tried to retrieve their ill gotten gains, but found they couldn't move a muscle--Celebi's song had paralyzed them!"

Laughter went up from the crowd at this as Brock continued "The minstrel sought out those that had been wronged and cheated by the thieving folk, and returned their rightful wealth to them. Once sure that all the wealth had been returned, and that the thieving folk would no longer oppress the honest folk, the minstrel started a set of tunes, and everyone danced with joy." Many in the crowd clapped along as Brock retrieved the whistle and played a set of tunes. Two of them he had often heard his friend Ash play--"The Snivy's Tail", and "Toss the Silver". The third tune was one of his favorites--the appropriately titled "Ramble to Pewter City".

After taking a bow for his audience, he concluded "As for Celebi, he returned to the heavens, where he watches over the forests of the world, waiting for someone to bless like the minstrel."

The crowd roared with applause as Brock bowed again, but backstage, Lotta's applause was the most enthusiastic...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 8th April 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Blog Entries

E 'stata una storia molto divertente da Brock. Devo ammettere che non ho mai sentito questa storia prima e che era piuttosto una lettura divertente. Mi piace come non solo trasformare il racconto in una versione Pokémon, ma anche dare Brock e tutti intorno a loro una sensazione di essere effettivamente reale. Google translate è mio amico :D

Blog Entries

I'm trying to explore Brock's relationship with his cast members in between the stories.

Yes, I admit I used Google Translate to get the Italian.

So, tell me. Is this taking place in the same universe as your Loremaster story? Or is this like a remake of it?

Blog Entries

This is completely seperate from Kenna's story (but I need to get back to that)

Ah. I was just wondering from the title, and started reading thinking "Hmmm... this sounds familiar." so, how is this different from the other one?

Blog Entries

This is mainly a slice of life/Pokemonized folk tale collection for everyone to enjoy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Interlude 1: Storytelling 101)

Interlude 1: Storytelling 101

"Brock, how is it that you know how to tell stories so well?" a boy asked as Brock arrived in a classroom a few days later. "Judging from Lotta's face, she was enjoying 'The Minstrel's New Song'!"

"Gather round, everyone..." Brock motioned for the other boys and girls in the room to gather around a chair at the front of the class. "The number one key to remember when you're first starting out as a storyteller is be patient--audiences probably won't like your first attempt at telling, and you'll need to get used to hearing your own voice."

"You mean, recording ourselves?" a silver haired girl asked. She fished out some paper from her bag to take notes.

"Not necessarily, Yuki, but that is one way aspiring storytellers learn to accept and appriciate their own voice." Brock replied. "In fact, I will sometimes do this to practice a tale before I go onstage." He wrote "1. BE PATIENT" on the chalkboard before continuing "Rule two--know your audience and respect them."

"So you wouldn't tell fairy tales to adults the same way you would tell to little kids, right?" the boy asked as he smoothed back some of his dull blond hair.

"You're absolutly correct, Rylan!" Brock triumphantly announced in character as a game show host. He finished writing "2. KNOW AND RESPECT YOUR AUDIENCE" on the chalkboard, then continued "Young kids are just fine with simple plots and repitition, but doing that for an audience of adults would be disrespectful. They would feel like you were talking down to them. Which leads me to the big difference between storytelling and acting..." Brock then wrote "3. LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE" on the chalkboard. After a few tense moments, he decided to transform the O's in "LOOK" into a pair of eyes. "When you tell a story, you look at your audience."

"But what if you have zillions of people?" a navy haired girl asked.

"Then I just pick one person in the audience to focus on--usually the person trying the hardest to zone out or the one enjoying it the most." Brock explained before writing his last two points on the board: "4. TIMING IS EVERYTHING" and "5. DON'T LOSE THE STORY". "Next, when you're telling, don't speak too quickly or too slowly, and do not use uh, er, um, and the derivatives therein."

"Usually uh, er, um, and words like that mean you're nervous or forgot something." Yuki added.

"Yuki has a great point--if you do forget part of the story, use the story to get back on track." Brock smiled. "Visualize what's happening, remember a common refrain if the story has one, or if you're musically inclined, have a cue to help you remember. Questions so far?"

No one said a single thing.

"Before I share a story of my own for you guys, I want to caution you about overusing props." Brock began as he led the group out into the wings. "I've seen some great storytellers, and they all have their own unique approaches. Some dress up in costume, others play music or sing, and others have props or puppets. Still others get the audience involved and rope people into the story, and some are just content to do voices. The thing to keep in mind is that you're not putting on a dramatic performance, so try not to have whatever effects you plan to use get in the way of the story."

"So why do you do what you do?" Rylan asked.

"Well, I do voices so the audience can tell which character is which." Brock explained before retrieving his guitar and tuning up. "I use music to signal a change of scene, magic, character motifs, and special effects, such as a harmonic chord to represent a magical being or Legendary Pokemon appearing."

"Do you get the audience involved?" Yuki asked.

"If I feel the story would work with audience participation, yes." Brock replied as he finished tuning. "But you don't necessarily have to pull people onstage to interact with the audience...watch how I tell 'The Stonemason', and you'll see what I mean." With that, he took his guitar and jogged onstage to meet the crowd...

Wow, that's actually some very good advice Brock! It probably works for writers as well: know your audience (are they children? teens? adults? adjust your story accordingly!), know your style or 'voice' in how you tell your story (what are your strong points? details? action? characters? dialogue? Work a little bit on everything!), stick to the story (don't go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with anything! Which is why I don't like crack fic very much, it never makes sense and goes nowhere!)...

Blog Entries

Tomorrow you'll actually see him tell "The Stonemason"--pay attention to how he tells it.

Blog Entries

Week 3: The Stonemason

(real tale: The Stonecutter's Dream)

Brock took a bow for his audience, then began his tale. "There was once a man that made his living as a stonemason. He would rise early every morning, spend all day in the quarry that stood at the foot of a mountain, then take the blocks of stone into town to sell to the masons and others that wished to build roads, walls, and chimneys." He settled in his chair and took his guitar in hand. "One day, the stonemason heard a festive melody as he arrived in town." He played a jig-like tune for effect. "He strained to get a look at who was arriving inside the magnificent coach that was flanked by mounted guards, and wondered what it would be like to live as a prince or noble. When he went to bed that night, he mused 'I wish I were a prince or a noble.'

He plays a soft harmonic D chord for effect. "Jirachi the Wishmaker heard the stonemason's wish. When the stonemason woke the next morning, he found himself inside a beautiful palace filled with gold, jewels, and silks. There were maids and servants that tended to his every need. So he spent days exploring his new palace and marveled at all it had to offer."

After playing a soft interlude, Brock continued. "One day, the stonemason came to the palace garden and marveled at all the flowers. But the tree that he admired the most was the Cheri tree and its beautiful pink blossoms. He mused 'I wish I were a Cheri tree...'. Jirachi heard the stonemason's wish, and transformed him into a Cheri tree, pink blossoms and all." Some oohs and ahs go up from the crowd as Brock played another harmonic D chord to represent the transformation.

"For a while, the stonemason enjoyed the crowds that flocked to see him and his pink blossoms, but as the spring wore on, he remembered other flowers would take the Cheri tree's place. He saw the sun overhead and mused 'I wish I were like the sun, and live eternally...'

"Jirachi heard the stonemason's wish..." some people in the crowd say along with Brock.

Brock just smiles, pleased that some in the audience have caught on to the tale's refrain. "Have you heard this one before?" he asks, making the crowd laugh before he remembers where he is in the story. "Jirachi transformed the stonemason into the sun." After playing the familiar harmonic D chord to mimic a transformation, he continues. "For a while, the stomason relished the children playing in his beams of light and the many plants that spung up from the earth, but before long, he saw that the flowers were wilting, the crops were being scorched, and the rivers were drying up." Some in the crowd laugh at the riff from "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" Brock plays for effect. "He didn't intend to hurt anyone with his heat, so he pleaded 'I wish I were a cloud' and..." he motions to the audience to fill in the blank.

"Jirachi heard the stonemason's wish." the audience replies.

"And he transformed the stonemason into a cloud." Brock finishes. "For a while, the stonemason enjoyed floating on the wind and giving the people down below some welcome shade. But suddenly, he felt a tickle and sneezed, making rain pour down on the world." Laughter went up at this. "He watched, horrified, as people scrambled for shelter and the rivers overflowed. He noticed the mountain leading to the quarry and pleaded 'I wish I were a mountain'. Then--what?" Brock asks the audience.

"Jirachi heard the stonemason's wish." the audience replies.

"and he transformed the stonemason into a mountain." Brock completes the sentence. "For a while, he stood proudly over the land, but one day, he felt a pain in his stomach, and saw a stonemason chipping away at him. He realized that he should've been content with what he had, and wished he was a stonemason once again." After playing another chord to mimic a transformation, he concluded "From that day on, the stonemason cherished who he really was, and never again wished to be something he was not." Thunderous applause went up as Brock took a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 18th April 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: Live From the Fireside (Week 3: The Stonemason)

*claps* Yay for audience participation! :)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast