EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 78: The Old Meowth and the Old Growlithe) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 78: The Old Meowth and the Old Growlithe)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 60: The Ghost Ponyta)

@Chimchar98; @Chaosj2; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Week 60: The Ghost Ponyta

(real tale The Goblin Pony)

"It sure was great to have Ash join us for the Halloween show..." Yuki muses as she adjusts the Meowth ears on her costume.

"He is a natural actor..." Akane, as a witch, agrees as she takes some of the candy in the cast member's break room. The two of them watch as onstage, Brock, as a sage, and Ash, in his traditional mage's costume, trade spooky tales from their hometowns.

As the applause dies on Brock's latest tale, he motions to Ash. "Okay, it's your turn to tell us a scary story..."

"That I have--one of Pallet's best known legends." Ash replies before beginning "The story goes that on one stormy Halloween night long ago, when Pallet was a small village named Taicho, the wise woman of the town bade the children stay inside--lest they be captured by witches, ghosts, and other things that go bump in the night."

Murmurs go up at this. "But the majority of the kids still wanted to go out--one wanted to see the girl he had a crush on, another wanted to go looking for Krabbies and Corphishes, and another wanted to pick Berries, to name a few reasons." Ash continues. "Only a few remained behind while the rest went out into the night, despite the wise woman's warnings. They blew off her tales of monsters and ghost Ponytas as just that--stories."

"Big mistake..." Brock cautions--he knows how stories like this usually end with either the disobedient children dead at the hand of the teller's monster of choice, or disappeared and presumed dead from chasing a spirit.

"As the children all made their way into the forest, they saw a Ponyta with an odd teal glow." Ash continues over the nervous giggles. "They presumed it to be someone's lost Ponyta, and led it to the pond where the men of the town led their Rapidashes to drink." Ash takes a moment to examine something, as if the ghost Ponyta is actually there. "Then some of the children got the idea to try and ride it back to town, but instead of going back to town, the Ponyta made its way to the coast, just as the wind and waves picked up again. It was only then they realized they had encountered a ghost Ponyta."

Some girls up front swallow hard at this. "The ghost Ponyta very much enjoyed frolicking in the pounding waves while the children hung on for dear life, until they were just a speck on the horizon." Ash continues. "Whether the children died in the surf, or if they're still hanging on for the ride of their lives, I leave you to decide for yourself. But if you climb the hill overlooking the sea just outside of Pallet on a rainy night and listen hard enough, you might hear the whinnies of the ghost Ponyta and the children's laughter as they romp in the surf."

Brock raises an eyebrow at the tale's end. "Interesting...I've never heard that one before." He turns to the audience. "How bout it? Did you like that one?"

The crowd roars in reply. Ash is flattered by the applause, and takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 31st October 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 61: The Aspear Hunter)

Week 61: The Aspear Hunter

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan", episode 31, story 1)

"In a certain village lived three brothers and their mom." Brock begins. "One day, the mother came down with a terrible disease, and no healer within miles knew how to cure her."

Concerned murmurs race through the crowd. "But one healer told the boys that the only way to cure their mom was to find a mystical Aspear Berry that grew in the mountains." Brock assures the crowd. "However, all those that had attempted the quest before had failed."

He quickly silences the murmurs as he continues "The eldest boy--we'll call him Hajime--volunteered to go first, and set out early the next morning. At first, Hajime's journey was uneventful, but as he was traveling through the mountains, Celebi appeared to him, and asked..." In a breathy male voice he asks "Where are you going, young lad?"

"My mother is very sick, and I am searching for a legendary Aspear Berry said to cure her." he replies as an older boy.

"The place you speak of is the Shining Grove, but you mustn't go there!" he cautions as Celebi. "A fearsome Gyarados lurks within the water around the tree you seek."

"But I have to save my mom!" he pleads as Hajime.

"Very well, if you must find this Aspear, I will give you a hint." he assures the audience as Celebi. "If the wind warns you not to approach the Aspear tree as it rustles through the reeds, the Gyarados is awake, and you must turn back. If the wind says it is safe, you can approach the tree, for the Gyarados is sleeping."

Applause goes up at Brock's skillful interplay. "When Hajime got to the Shining Grove, the wind warned him not to approach many times." he explains as himself as the sound of wind is heard in the auditorium.

<i>Don't go, the Gyarados is waiting!</i> some ghostly voices say through the "wind". <i>Don't go, the Gyarados is waiting!</i>

"Finally, Hajime grew impatient, and approached the tree despite the wind's warning not to." Brock intones as the "wind" and voices die down. "Sure enough, the Gyarados appeared to him with great roar, and as Hajime had no weapon, he was quickly eaten."

The audience is silent, stunned by the turn of events. "The middle brother--we'll call him Tetsuya--left the next morning, and the same thing happened." Brock continues. "He met Celebi, explained his quest, was told the secret to obtaining the Aspear Berry, ignored the wind's warning, and was eaten by a Gyarados. Finally, the youngest brother--we'll call him Yuji--set out, met Celebi, explained his quest, and was told the secret to obtaining the Aspear Berry."

As Celebi, he continues "I sense the flame of determination inside you to save your brothers and heal your mother. So take this magical bow, in case you too meet the Gyarados as your brothers did." He shows the audience a prop bow with leaf inlays.

Once he gets the bow and a quiver of prop arrows in order, he goes on "When Yuji got to the Shining Grove, he waited for some time as the wind cautioned..."

<i>Don't go, the Gyarados is waiting!</i> the ghostly voices whisper through the "wind." <i>Don't go, the Gyarados is waiting!</i>

"Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Yuji heard the wind say..." Brock narrates over the "wind".

<i>You can go, the Gyarados is sleeping.</i> the ghostly voices reply. <i>You can go, the Gyarados is sleeping.</i>

"So Yuji carefully made his way through the grass and safely picked one of the legendary Aspear Berries." Brock explains as he walks up and picks a prop Aspear Berry from a prop tree by stage right. "But just when Yuji was about to leave, the Gyarados appeared from the water with a great roar, intent on eating him too!"

Some screams go up from the crowd as a prop Gyarados with a target hidden in its scales rises from the "water", making Brock look tiny by comparison. "Yuji was not afraid, and easily killed the Gyarados with one arrow from his magical bow, freeing his brothers, who were miraculously unharmed, in the process." he narrates, ever aware of the enormous prop Gyarados looming over him. Once he finishes setting the scene, he takes an arrow, readies his shot, and fires at the hidden target in the prop Gyarados' scales.

The crowd roars when they see that Brock hit the bullseye on the prop as it sinks back into the "water". "The mother ate the Aspear Berry and was healed." he concludes as the lights go down. "and she was always grateful to her boys for their bravery."

Thunderous applause fills the air as Brock takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 5th November 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 62: The Angry Coins)

Week 62: The Angry Coins

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan", episode 32, story 1)

"A long time ago, near where Azalea Town is today, a charcoal maker lived on Ilex Pass, just as his descendants do today." Brock begins. "Whenever he went into Ilex Forest with his two Farfetch'd to cut trees, he always left an offering to Celebi. His charcoal was known to be strong, so whenever he went to what is now Azalea Town, he would almost always sell all of it." Awed murmurs go up at this. "Despite this, he was still very poor. If someone could not pay for the charcoal, he would give them some for free."

The audience debates how someone could sell all their stock, and yet still be poor. "Now, in town lived a rich man who was too stingy to help anyone." Brock continues as he returns to his customary place at center stage. "Every night, he would go to the storehouse and count all his gold. For some odd reason, one gold coin turned up missing every night. He worried that a thief took the one coin, so he vows to stay up all night to catch the supposed thief."

"That night, he waited outside the storehouse, until he heard voices around midnight." Brock explains as he tiptoes over to an imagined door at stage right and listens for an imagined voice. "When he looked inside, he saw that his coins had come to life, and they were all complaining about how stingy he was." Laughter fills the air as Brock balks in feigned surprise, as if he is the rich man spotting the speaking coins. "So it goes to show that money actually does talk." he adds as an aside, to some bemused giggles.

"The man chased the coins around the house..." Brock narrates as he runs a few laps around the stage in an attempt to catch the imagined coins. When he returns to his place at center stage, he sighs "but they escaped anyway." Laughter goes up at this.

"The coins remembered the charcoal maker and how kind he was to everyone, and decided to go stay with him." Brock concludes. "The charcoal maker was stunned by all the coins, and presumed them a gift from Celebi as thanks for his kindness. He immediately used the money to help the poor, but he and his descendants never had to worry about food and money for themselves, either!"

Applause goes up as Brock takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 19th November 2012 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 63: The Money Tree)

Week 63: The Money Tree

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 31, story 2)

"Once the king of a certain land was holding a grand feast one day to celebrate the impending arrival of his first child." Brock begins. "Suddenly, his wife tripped over the doorway..." He feigns tripping over something, to some giggles. "making everyone laugh." More laughter goes up at this, as if on cue. "The king, however, was angry at being embarrassed, so he divorced the woman and sent her back to her homeland."

Angry whispers fill the air at how someone could be divorced simply for a klutzy moment. "The woman settled down in a small village nearby the capital city, where she gave birth to a happy and healthy little boy--she named him Kazuki, which means 'harmonious hope'." Brock explains. Kazuki grew up to be smart and energetic, but something always troubled him--who was his father?"

Piqued murmurs go up at this. "When Kazuki asked his mom this, she told him what had happened years before. Brock continues. "Like you guys, he was saddened and angered that his mother had been driven away from a life of luxury all because of a simple clumsy act. So he decided he would show the king how flawed his decision had been. So one day, Kazuki gathered all the Berry seeds he could find, and brought them into the capital city. He patrolled at the palace's front gate all day, calling..." In character as Ash, he calls "Money trees for sale!"

Laughter goes up at Brock's scarily accurate impression. "This wore on for a week, until the king began wondering who the boy was, and if he really was selling money trees." Brock explains as himself. "Kazuki was brought before the king, and the king asked him..." In a deeper version of himself, he asks "Is it true that the seeds you have really will grow money trees?"

"Yes--only a girl with a beautiful heart will make the money tree sprout." he replies in his Ash voice again.

"I'm not sure someone like that exists in the kingdom..." he muses as the king.

"I know someone like that!" he announces as Ash. "That someone is my mother, the same girl you sent away ten years ago!"

Some light applause goes up at Brock's interplay, but most of the audience holds their breath to see how the king will react to the shocking news. "It dawned on the king just how rash he had been ten years before, and sent word asking his wife back to the castle." Brock concludes as himself. "They all lived happily ever after, grateful for Kazuki's wisdom and cleverness."

He takes a bow as the crowd applauds....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Interlude 14: Interview with a Storyteller)

Interlude 14: Interview with a Storyteller

Brock settles before his PC and eases a silver and black headset mic over his head. His PC, meanwhile, is open to Vocachat. After typing "PewterSong" in the username field and some stars in the password field, he drums a finger on the table as he is logged in.

"Good luck with the interview!" Yuki calls as she passes by the room. Brock just acknowledges his friend with a nod as he gets up and closes the door so he will not be disturbed from his remote interview with Jubilife TV's "Pokemon Profiles". After making sure his guitar is accounted for and in tune, he returns to the PC.

The three note jingle signaling an incoming chat request jolts him back to attention. <i>Larissa Winston would like to voice chat.</i> After clicking "Accept" on the invite, he begins "Hello, Jubilife City!"

Cheers meet his greeting as a teal haired girl appears on his screen. "Hello, Brock, and thanks for joining us here on 'Pokemon Profiles'." Larissa smiles. "I have to ask you--what spurred you to start a storytelling segment on 'Live From the Fireside'?"

"As I traveled through the five regions, I learned that this world has a rich array of history, myth and legend." Brock explains. "So wherever I traveled, I made it a point to learn at least one story from that area." He then jokes "It made for better souvenirs for my family than cheap trinkets." Giggles go up from the offscreen crowd at this. "I then realized that this piece of our heritage needed to be shared, so I decided that I would share a random tale from my massive collection every week."

"It must be working, because ratings have spiked since the segment began." Larissa notes.

"Not every story goes over well, though." Brock cautions. "But for the most part, they are very well received."

"So, take us from start to finish in learning a story." Larissa began.

"Well, first, I read all the folk and fairy tales I can find." Brock explains. "This includes actual books and online. As I read, I make notes of ones I like that could potentially work for an audience."

He shows the audience his ongoing list of potential tales. "This right here is my current list of tales I'm considering."

"What do you mean when you say 'potentially work for an audience'? Larissa is curious.

"First, they should be appropriate for TV, or can be adapted as such." Brock replies. They should also have opportunities for me to act, do voices, sing, play music, and/or interact with my cotarie or the audience. Or some combination of those."

"So, once you've picked a story, then what?" Larissa wonders.

"I first sit down and memorize the tale itself until I know it like the back of my hand." Brock replies. "Then, together with my cotarie, we'll go through the story and decide on voices for the characters, what acting I could do, what instruments I could use, and so on. I then practice these with the story until I can do both well. Then, I go out on stage and perform.

Larissa then spots Brock's guitar in the background. "I understand you have a song for us?" she asks as some of the Firelights join Brock in the room.

"Yeah--a cover of an old favorite." Brock smiles as he takes his instrument. "Here's our version of the country classic 'It Must Be Love'

The Firelights give Brock an introduction before Brock sings as he plays <i>First I get cold, then hot,
    Think I'm on fire, but I'm not,
    Oh, what a pain I've got!
    It must be love...</i>

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 64: Three Axes)

Week 64: Three Axes

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 22, story 1)

"I presume a lot of you have played 'The Legend of Zelda' games before, yes?" Brock asks the crowd.

Enthusiastic cheers answer his question, mainly from the kids and teenagers in the audience. "Have you ever wondered why upgrading the bomb bag requires proving your honesty to a fairy?"

The cheers give way to interested murmurs. "The puzzle itself is a reference to this legend from Shinou, which I learned on the first night of my journey there." Brock explains before beginning "There once was a woodcutter that lived in a certain village. And every morning, he went into the forest to cut wood. Although he would cut a lot of wood every day, he would not make much money. Although his axe was old, he took good care of it."

"One day, as it was getting dark, he was still not done cutting down a certain tree." he continues, pantomiming cutting down a tree to prove his point. After wiping the feigned sweat from his brow, he continues "In his rush to try and finish cutting the tree down, he lost his axe, which fell in a spring."

Gasps go up at this. "As the woodcutter pondered how to find his axe, Manaphy appeared to him and asked what the matter was." Brock assures the audience. "The woodcutter told Manaphy what happened, and Manaphy showed him a gold axe, asking if it was the right one--and the woodcutter said no. Manaphy showed him a silver axe next, but the woodcutter said that wasn't the right one either. When Manaphy showed him the old axe, the woodcutter recognized it right away as the right one. Manaphy was pleased with the woodcutter's honesty, and gave him all three axes."

Laughter goes up as the Zelda got item fanfare blares through the theater for effect. Brock just waits for the laughter to quiet, then continues "The woodcutter was about to thank Manaphy, but Manaphy disappeared before he could say anything. He returned home and told his wife what happened. His wife explained that Manaphy rewarded him for being honest, and so they kept the gold and silver axes as heirlooms."

Some 'oh's fill the air at this as some make the connection between the story and Zelda. "The next day, a neighbor of the woodcutter came over and spotted the three axes." Brock continues. "The woodcutter told his neighbor what happened, and the neighbor was inspired to try and get three axes of his own."

He moves back to his place at center stage. "It wasn't long before he found the spring and threw his axe into the water." Brock pauses to do this for effect. "Manaphy appeared, and the neighbor explained that he lost his axe. When he was shown the gold axe, the neighbor claimed it is his. This angered Manaphy, and he told the neighbor he wouldn't share with liars as he disappeared." he explains as the crowd giggles over Manaphy's reaction. "The neighbor was undeterred, and waded into the water in an attempt to find his own axe--and it is said he is still looking!"

Applause fills the air as Brock takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 12th November 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 65: The Farmhand's Riddle)

@Chimchar98; @Chaosj2; @Soulmaster;

Presenting our first user submitted story!

Week 65: The Farmhand's Riddle

(real tale: The Tiller and the Monk-thank you, @Tophat Dragoneye!)

"There was once a young farmhand that was traveling home from town one night, and decided to rest at the inn for the night." Brock begins. "He befriended a miko, or priestess, that was on a great journey while he was there. While at first, he enjoyed listening to the miko's deep wisdom, but as the night wore on, he started to tire of the miko's constant talking about anything and everything."

Giggles fill the air at this. "The miko also noticed the farmhand was getting bored, and proposed a challenge of wits." Brock continues. "The farmhand initially refused--he was tired, and wanted to go to bed." More laughter goes uo as Brock feigns a yawn. "But the miko kept offering more and more gold as a prize until he finally relented. They agreed that the miko would give the farmhand fifty coins if she were stumped by a question of his, and he would give her five coins if he were stumped by a question of hers."

Piqued murmurs race through the crowd as they speculate on what questions will be asked. "The miko's first question was 'How do you measure the volume of an irregularly shaped object?'" Brock asks the audience.

More murmurs and whispers fill the air as the audience attempts to figure out the answer, but Brock's voice quiets the chatter. "The farmhand thought for an hour or two, but couldn't come up with an answer, and so he gave the miko five coins."

Laughter goes up as Brock pantomimes giving someone five coins. "He then asked the miko 'What has the heart of a Raikou, the wisdom of an Braviary, and the strength of a Tauros?'"

The room falls silent at the question. "The miko was stunned by the question--she spent the rest of the night contemplating an answer." Brock continues. "Finally, when morning came, she gave the farmhand fifty pieces as she promised, amazed at the farmhand's wisdom."

When he returns to his place at center stage, he concludes "As for the answer to the farmhand's riddle? The Pokemon Master has the heart of a Raikou, the wisdom of a Braviary, and the strength of a Tauros."

"Oh"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're most welcome, @LightningTopaz; :)
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Let me know if you find any more stories that might work in the Pokeworld

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 66: The Baby Vulpixes)

Week 66: The Baby Vulpixes

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 33, story 2)

"In a certain village lived a healer that was very stingy and greedy, and often turned away the poor." Brock begins. "One day, he healed a patient with a sore back, and offered him medicine for a hundred credits--when said medicine would normally cost 300 credits."

The crowd murmurs at how the patient got a great deal. "That night, an old man came pleading for help, as his daughter, who was expecting a child, had suddenly gone into labor." Brock continues. "The healer's first thought was to send the midwife, but reconsidered when he saw the jewel studded coach the old man arrived in. He didn't notice the coach was hardly shaking from the high speed. But, he didn't know a family of Ninetales was pulling the coach."

Murmurs of speculation race through the crowd. "Upon arrival, the healer asked for hot water and clean towels, but as the old man departed, the healer noticed that his shadow looked like a Ninetales. He vowed he would deliver the baby Vulpixes safely, however many there were." Brock assures his audience.

"So how many were there?" a boy asks.

"It took all night to do it, but three baby Vulpixes were born by the time the next morning came." Brock replies. "The patriarch Ninetales was thankful, and gave the healer some food. The healer was naturally a bit suspicious, but after enjoying the food, he found himself on a hill in the middle of nowhere. After initially blowing off the whole experience as a prank, he found his medicine box overflowing with coins. It dawned on him he cared for the Ninetales even though they didn't have much."

He concludes "From that day on, he cared for everyone, regardless of whether they were rich or poor."

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 67: How an Arcanine Defeated Tornadus)

Week 67: How an Arcanine Defeated Tornadus

(real tale: Schippeitaro)

"Once a priest was traveling across the land, and came to a village where everyone was making rice balls." Brock begins. "One house, however, was not."

"Why not?" a girl asks, intrigued.

"When the priest approached the house to get a closer look, he heard crying inside the house." Brock explains. "It turned out the members of that household were crying because they had to offer their only daughter as tribute to Tornadus. If Tornadus was not appeased with a sacrifice of a young girl with pure heart every year, he would send storms that would ruin the city and its fields."

Piqued murmurs go up at this, but Brock assures them "You could argue that this tale is similar to 'Hikari Slays the Seviper'--I learned it in Driftveil while I was in the area for the Pokemon World Tournament."

His aside complete, Brock thinks as to where he is in the tale before continuing "But the whole family loved their daughter very much, and it pained them that she had to be offered to Tornadus. The priest decided to offer himself in the girl's place, and immediately set out for the eastern mountains, where Tornadus dwelled. He hid inside a hollow tree until night fell. As the moon rose, he heard Tornadus and a group of evil spirits all singing..." He pauses to sing Don't let him hear this, don't let him hear that, don't let Shoten hear! Shoten of Tachibana, don't him hear!

He continues "The priest concluded that Tornadus and the monsters feared whoever or whatever Shoten was. After telling the family what he had learned, the priest departed to the city of Tachibana."

"So, who was Shoten?" a man wonders.

"When he got there, he asked the people of Tachibana if there was anyone named Shoten, but the townsfolk had no clue what the priest meant." Brock goes on. "Then, he spotted an Arcanine, who happened to be named Shoten!"

Awed murmurs go up as the audience makes the conclusion that Shoten isn't a who, but a what. "The Arcanine's owner agreed to let the priest borrow his Pokemon, and the priest set out for the village." Brock continues. "Meanwhile, the people of the village were growing anxious as the day of the sacrifice neared. Some worried about the family's reaction, while others worried about what Tornadus would do if he wasn't appeased."

He takes his guitar and starts a tense melody. "The family, however, was still hopeful that the priest would return, even though they continued with the preparation for the sacrifice."

Some of the children in the front row whisper excitedly in anticipation of a battle. "Just before they left to take the girl to the shrine, the priest returned with the Arcanine, and both of them climbed inside the box." Brock continues as he speeds up his song. "As soon as the villagers left the box at the shrine, they ran away. Tornadus and the monsters inspected the box, singing the song all the while.

He then sings as he plays a playful melody Don't let him hear this, don't let him hear that, don't let Shoten hear! Shoten of Tachibana, don't him hear!

He stops the song to interject "When Tornadus opened the box, the priest and the Arcanine attacked!"

The audience claps along as Brock plays the Zelda theme for effect. After a while, the song begins to slow. "After a long battle, they emerged victorious..." Brock plays the Zelda got item stinger for effect. "and returned to a hero's welcome. That village never had to sacrifice another girl again."

Applause fills the auditorium as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 68: The Prince and the Dragonite)

Week 68: The Prince and the Dragonite

(real tale: The Prince and the Dragon)

"There was once a king in a far away land that had three sons." Brock begins as he arrives in his place at center stage. "One morning, the eldest prince--we'll call him Arden--set out to hunt. A Buneary suddenly sprang out of the bush, and Arden chased it over hill and over dale until finally, the Buneary raced into a mill that stood beside a river. "When Arden went in there, instead of a Buneary, he found a fierce Dragonite!"

Some screams and giggles go up from the children in the audience. "Arden turned to run, but a fiery tongue coiled around his waist and drew him into the Dragonite's mouth, never to be seen again!" More screams and giggles go up at this.

Once the playful screams and laughter quiet, Brock goes on. "When his brother did not return, the second prince--we'll him Neil--went to look for him, and the same thing happened--he saw a Buneary as soon as he entered the forest, chased it to the mill, and the mighty Dragonite swallowed him, too!"

Tense murmurs race through the crowd. "Meanwhile, the king waited and waited for any sign of his sons." Brock goes on. "When the youngest son--we'll call him Brendan--said he wished to go in search of his brothers, the king refused him at first. But Brendan did not take no for an answer. Finally, the king gave his permission and had the finest Rapidash in the palace stables saddled for him."

"Did he meet the Dragonite too?" A boy in the front shudders in fear.

"Like his brothers, Brendan chased the Buneary over hill and over dale and to the mill." Brock explains. "But when the Buneary dashed through the mill door, Brendan knew better than to follow it. Instead he turned and rode away, in search of other game to hunt."

The crowd heaves a collective sigh of relief. "That night, Brendan returned to the mill, and met a wise woman sitting out front." Brock continues. As a young boy, he interjects "Have you seen a Buneary?"

"That was no Buneary...that was the Dragonite that has eaten many people." he replies in character as a young lady. "I beg you, turn back before he eats you too!"

After acknowledging his applause for his interplay, he continues as himself "It dawned on Brendan what had happened to his brothers, and pleaded with the wise woman to come with him. But she shook her head and explained that the Dragonite had taken her prisoner, and she too was under his enchantment, meaning she could not escape."

"So what did Brendan do?" a girl asks, piqued.

"Brendan thought for a while, then told the wise woman..." Brock then switches to his "Brendan" voice again. "Ask the Dragonite where he goes when he leaves the mill, and ask him what makes him so strong. Tell me what you learn when I return."

He pauses for a beat as he looks out on the crowd. "The Dragonite returned not long after Brendan left, and the wise woman asked where he had been." he explains as himself before switching to his best deep voice. "Far away."

Nervous giggles fill the tent as Brock continues as himself "The wise woman began to flatter him, praising his strength and his cleverness, and when he was in a good mood, she said..." He switches to his "young lady" voice again. "If you tell me where you get your strength, I shall kiss it in gratitude."

In character as the Dragonite, he replies "My strength lies in the hearthstone,"

As himself, he interjects "But when the wise woman kissed the hearth, the Dragonite laughed and said..." As the Dragonite again, he intones "Foolish human, I was joking! My strength lies in the tree here."

As himself, he goes on " So the woman wrapped her arms around the tree and kissed it, and again the Dragonite laughed. Finally, she learned that the Dragonite's strength lay in a faraway kingdom, near its capital city, in a lake where another dragon, a Gyarados, slept. Inside that Gyarados was a wild Emboar, and inside that Emboar was a Buneary, and inside that Buneary was a Pidove, and inside that Pidove was a Spearow. Inside that Spearow lay his strength."

Murmurs race through the crowd at this, but Brock is quick to assure them "If you think you know where this is going, I can assure you, this is different." With that, he continues "The next morning, Brendan returned, and the wise woman told him the Dragonite's secrets. So Brendan disguised himself as a shepherd, and rode to a distant kingdom where the king was seeking a shepherd. He offered his services, and was quickly hired. The king told him..." Brock switches to his standard "king" voice. "Outside the city walls there is a lake, and by its banks are the richest meadows. As you lead the flocks, they will race there, but if they reach those meadows they will never return. Protect them from that place."

He continues as himself "Brendan promised to keep the Mareep safe. So he went to the marketplace and bought a Pidgeot, a whistle..." Excited chatter races through the crowd as Brock retrieves a whistle from his pocket. "and two Arcanines. Then, he took the Mareep out to pasture. When the Mareep saw the lake, they began to run toward it, just as the king had said."

Everyone is on the edge of their seats, eager to know what happens next. "Brendan set the Pidgeot on a tree branch, laid his whistle on the grass..." He lays his own whistle on the floor. "and bade the Arcanines to sit. Then he waded into the water and cried..."

He then calls into the crowd "Gyarados, if you are not a coward, come out and fight me!"

Nervous laughter meets his challenge. "The Gyarados immediately emerged from the water, and the battle raged until the sun rose high in the sky the next morning!" Brock announces as he observes his enthralled audience. "Then the Gyarados gasped and said..." In his "dragon" voice, he sputters "Let me dip my burning head into the lake and I will hurl you to the top of the sky."

He laughs at this. "Ah, if only the princess of this land were here, she would kiss my forehead, and I would throw you higher still." he retorts in character as Brendan.

As himself, he continues "With that, Brendan delivered the final blow, and the Gyarados fell into the lake, dazed."

Wild cheers go up at this as Brock picks up the whistle again. "Brendan took his Pidgeot upon his shoulder, and with his Arcanines in front and his flock following him, he set out for the city, playing his whistle all the while." With that, he plays "The Silver Sword" for effect.

Applause fills the air when the song ends. "As they passed through the streets, people stared." Brock explains as he fingers his whistle. "A flock of Mareep had never before returned from the lake. On top of that, the king's horsemen saw the whole thing, and they hurried to tell the king what had happened. The king sent for the princess--we'll call her Kendra--and told her she was to go with who he thought was a shepherd the next day."

"Then did he defeat the Gyarados?" a woman asks.

"Brendan and the Gyarados fought again the next day." Brock explains. "But this time when Brendan said 'if the princess of this land kissed my forehead,' Kendra did just that, and Brendan flung the Gyarados clear into the clouds!"

The familiar "PLING!" of a character defeated in Super Smash Bros. echoes through the auditorium. "Game set! This match's winner is...BRENDAN!!!!" he jokingly announces in character as the Super Smash Bros. announcer.

Laughter and applause go up at his humorous aside. "When the Gyarados finally fell to earth, he burst into a gazillion pieces, and out sprang an Emboar." Brock continues. "The Arcanines chased the Emboar, caught it, and tore it to bits. Out came a Buneary, and the Arcanines caught it too and tore it to bits. Then out came a Pidove that flew into the sky. Brendan set loose his Pidgeot, which swooped upon the Pidove and brought it to his master. When Brendan cut it open, he found the Spearow inside. "Where are my brothers?" he demands in character as Brendan.

"Behind your father's castle stands a mill. In the mill is an enchanted emerald. Take this emerald and invoke its magic, and the iron cellar door will open. There you will find your brothers safe and sound." he replies in his best mimic of a Spearow.

As himself, he continues "Brendan hurried home to his native land, and everything happened as the Spearow said-- in the mill he found the emerald, and sang..." He pauses to sing <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i> for effect, making him appear to gain a greenish glow.

"Sure enough, the iron door flew open, and countless people streamed forth, including his brothers, who were miraculously unharmed." Brock concludes. "They were eager to hear the tale of their brother's power, wisdom, and courage, and in every kingdom there was celebration for at least a week!"

The auditorium rings with applause and cheers as Brock takes a bow for the enthusiastic crowd...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 69: The Three Brothers' Journey)

Week 69: The Three Brothers' Journey

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 34, story 1)

"There were once three brothers that ran an inn in a certain village." Brock begins. "One day, their father was wondering which one of them should inherit the inn when he joined Arceus in the heavens. He called in the boys, and gave each of them a hundred gold pieces. He instructed them to travel for three months, and whoever came back with the most would inherit the inn."

Excited murmurs fill the air as the audience speculates on what will happen to the brothers on their adventures. "Surprisingly, it was the middle brother who volunteered to leave first." Brock notes as an aside, quieting the chatter. "On the way, an old man met him on the road and asked him if he would help rebuild the town's shrine to Arceus. The shrine had been destroyed in a windstorm, and there was no one skilled in carpentry in that town. But the middle brother declined, and hurried away."

Angry whispers race through the crowd, many of them appalled anyone would turn down an old man. "Then, the youngest brother left, met the old man, was asked the same thing, and he too declined." Brock continues, making the angry chatter grow even louder. "When the eldest brother set out, he agreed to help rebuild the shrine."

The chatter turns to interest. "The old man explained that the town was poor, and they didn't have enough money to repair the shrine themselves." Brock explains. "When everyone clubbed together, they came up a hundred gold pieces short. So the eldest brother eagerly gave his hundred pieces to the cause."

Cheers go up at this, drowning out the construction sound effects. "They worked hard rebuilding the shrine, with the eldest brother helping with the blueprints and providing food and shelter to those that were working." Brock explains over the sounds when the crowd quiets. "By the time three months went by, the shrine was finished." A 'Ta da!" stinger goes up at this, to some applause. "The eldest brother offered to stay in the shrine before returning home, as that village had no inn." Brock continues as the lights on the stage dim to simulate nighttime.

Once Brock returns to his place at center stage, he continues "That night, the eldest brother was startled awake at midnight by someone calling his name." Giggles go up as Brock looks around the stage, as if looking for someone that called him. "When he woke up, he saw Arceus before him!" Light applause goes up as Brock bows on one knee at center stage, as if Arceus is really there. "Arceus thanked him for fixing the shrine, and granted him a vial wrapped in a shining ribbon as thanks." He shows the audience an identical prop vial as he gets up, complete with a silver ribbon.

"The next day, the three brothers met back at home." he continues as he pockets the vial. "The father first asked the middle brother what he accomplished on his travels, and the middle brother told him that he earned three hundred gold pieces with the hundred he started with. When he asked the younger brother, the younger brother replied he had doubled the money he started with."

Tense murmurs fill the air as the audience worries for the eldest brother. "When it was the eldest brother's turn, he told his father what happened, and showed him the vial--no matter how much water was poured from it, it never ran out." Brock assures the crowd as he shows them the prop vial again. A grin forms on his face--it's time for the twist in his tale. "The other brothers were shocked when the father chose the eldest brother and angrily protested at first. Their father explained to them that money was best used when helping others. Since the eldest brother had given all he had to help a town in need, he would run the inn better than any that only focused on gaining money for themselves."

Some "oh"s go up from the crowd as Brock concludes "The eldest brother eventually inherited the inn, but he and his brothers always give thanks to Arceus for teaching them a valuable lesson."

Applause fills the air as Brock takes a bow....
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 27th November 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 70: The Miracle Berry)

Week 70: The Miracle Berry

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 35, story 1)

"In a certain village lived a man who is kind to all, and would always pray to Arceus every morning." Brock begins as he looks out on the crowd before him. "One day, as he was returning from the shrine, he noticed an odd rainbow colored Berry following him." Giggles go up as Brock looks behind him, as if the berry in question is actually there. "But when he inspected the Berry, he was surprised when Mew and Jirachi appeared from it!"

Applause goes up at the Pokemons' names. "Mew explained to the man that Arceus wanted to reward him for his faith, and sent her and Jirachi to serve as servants." Brock explains. "Jirachi added that the Berry could create anything he desires if he sang to it. Mew encouraged him to try it, and taught him the conjuration song." He then sings <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i> for effect.

"The man first conjures a waterskin, and then a box full of onigiri." Awed gasps go up as Brock seemingly produces the items from thin air. "The next day, he began conjuring food and fixing things for anyone in need, so no one in that town ever needed to worry about food or broken tools. Word of the miracle Berry spread far and wide, and the man found himself the guest of many a Gym Leader."

A tense guitar chord signals the story is not over yet, which quiets the applause. "One day, the town rich man came, intent on taking the miracle Berry for himself." Brock intones as he plays the tense melody. "He offered a hundred gold, then five hundred, then a thousand, but the man refused every time. Finally, the man couldn't stand the constant barrage of offers, and chased the rich man away in a huff." Laughter goes up over the "running" melody Brock plays.

"That night, as the man, Mew, and Jirachi slept, the rich man came and stole the miracle Berry." Brock intones over a "sneaking" melody. "The next morning, the man's first thought was to panic, but Mew and Jirachi assured him they would do whatever they could get it back."

He stops the song to interject "Needless to say, the man's prayer to Arceus that morning was a plea to bring the miracle berry back!"

Some children giggle nervously over an ominous interlude from the guitar. "Meanwhile, the rich man offered the miracle berry to a rich merchant for a thousand gold pieces." Brock explains. "The merchant agreed, saying it was the birthday of the princess of the land--if the rich man could please her with the miracle berry, he would buy it for the agreed thousand coins."

Intrigueed whispers race through the room as Brock plays a festive song. "The party was a grand affair, but the rich man did not know the incantation song, so nothing happened after his gibberish attempt. He then nervously sings <i>Ashrotien vawia heni... </i> to some laughter. "He tries several more gibberish songs..." Brock then sings several more "songs": <i>Tamiso, incubi de so...madinu siza eifa...iteno, atreli me no...ogrena shroca tipa...</i> "but nothing happened every time. Finally, the rich man tried yet another song, but only conjured Ekans, Zubats, and bug Pokemon!"

The crowd roars with laughter at this. "The princess kicked the rich man out of the castle, and the rich man tossed the Berry in the road out of frustration. The Berry then heard Mew singing the correct incantation song..." Cheers go up as Brock sings <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i> again. "and flew back to the man's house."

He concludes "The man continued helping the people of the village with the miracle Berry, and went on many adventures with Mew and Jirachi."

He grins as he looks out on the enthralled audience. "But that is another story for another day!"

The audience roars as Brock takes a bow....
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 27th November 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 3 (Week 71: Ninetales and the Tynamo Necklace)

Week 71: Ninetales and the Tynamo Necklace

(real tale: Reynard and the Necklace of Eels)

"One cold winter's day, Ninetales lay shivering in her den." Brock begins, to some cheers from the audience--it has been a while since he has told a Ninetales story. "Her beloved constantly begged for her to find food, and her four little Vulpixes cried that they were hungry."

"Aw"s go up from the crowd. "She made her way down to the river, hoping she might find a Pidgey or a Ducklett or two. But the hunters and the trainers had been there before her--there wasn't a Ducklett or Pidgey in sight!" Brock explains before pausing for a beat. "Suddenly, she smelled something good on that wild winter wind." Giggles go up as he sniffs the air, as if he is Ninetales seeking out the smell. "So she turned and dashed toward that smell. Before long, she reached the road, and there she saw it -- the source of that wonderful aroma."

"What was it?" a girl asks.

"Two fishermen were driving a cart full of baskets." Brock replies. "Ninetales had to smile--'of course, fish are plentiful in wind like this!' she thought. In that cart she saw baskets brimming with fish of every sort, fish from the seas and fish from the rivers--there were Magikarp and Goldeen, Seaking and Basculin, Finneon and Tynamos!"

"Mm"s waft through the crowd. "Needless to say, Ninetales' mouth watered at the sight." Brock notes as an aside as he savors the dreamy looks on the audience's faces. "But Ninetales had to figure out a way to trick those fishermen. So she stopped and thought a moment." He pauses to think himself, then continues "But tricks are second nature to Ninetales too, so it took her only a moment before she knew just what to do. She ran along the edge of the road, taking care to hide herself behind snowy hedges until she was far ahead of the cart. Then she ran to the middle of the road and lay down very still as if dead." Giggles go up as Brock sprawls on the stage, as if playing dead.

"Sure enough, when the cart reached her, it pulled to a stop." Brock explains as he gets up. "One of the fishermen thought there was a dead Growlithe in the road, and the other thought it was a Mightyena. But rather than fight over who was correct, they decided to step down from their cart and walk over to where Ninetales lay. They oohed and ahhed over Ninetales' beautiful gold fur, and the pretty credit it would bring. They agreed to take what they thought was a dead Ninetales to the village, sell it, and split the money."

The children in the audience giggle in anticipation. "So they carefully put Ninetales in the back of their cart..." He pantomimes laying something in a box. "and set off on their way. Little did they know Ninetales was very much alive, and surrounded by all those fine fish."

"Ninetales leaned over and began to nibble at the Seaking in one of the baskets, and once she began, she could not stop herself." he continues as he returns to his place at center stage. "She ate and ate until she was full -- bones and all!"

Laughter goes up at this. "Before long, that basket was empty, but she knew she had to bring some food home for her family." Brock interjects. "So she reached into the basket of Tynamos and saw there were a dozen or more strung altogether, gill to gill, forming what looked to be a necklace made of Tynamos." Piqued murmurs race through the air, but Brock goes on "Ninetales pushed her paw through the wire loop, so the eels hung like a necklace around her neck, then leapt from the cart. Just then, the fishermen turned around, and they saw that wily Ninetales wearing the Tynamo necklace. They stopped their cart and leapt down to chase her."

"Oh no!" a boy gasps.

"Though the fishermen were pretty fast runners, Ninetales was faster, even wearing the heavy 'necklace'." Brock assures the front rows. "Just when it seemed the fishermen would catch her, she rounded a corner and dove into her den, safe and sound."

Applause fills the room as Brock concludes "Her husband and children began to cheer when they saw what she'd brought. They skinned the Tynamos, and lit the fire, and soon they were delighting in a wonderful meal. Ninetales, as usual, was congratulating herself on her quick wit and wiles!"

With that, he bows to the enthralled crowd...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast