EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 52: The Enchanted Deerling) - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 52: The Enchanted Deerling)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 41: The Cunning Shoemaker)

@Chimchar98; @Chaosj2; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Week 41: The Cunning Shoemaker

(real tale: The Cunning Shoemaker)

"There once was a shoemaker in a faraway land, while very skilled, couldn't get very much work." Brock begins before adding as an aside "We'll call him Patrick."

Applause goes up in approval of the name. "The lack of work was so bad, Patrick and his wife almost starved to death." Brock explains. "So Patrick took his tools and some of his recently made stock, and set out for another land. He found plenty of work, and eventually had enough money to buy himself a Ponyta."

"Patrick bought himself a fine Ponyta and started for home." Brock continues. "But as he rode through a forest, he saw a group of bandits approaching. He decided to hide some coins in the Ponyta's fur, and as the bandits demanded all his money, he explained his Ponyta was the only thing he had left."

Gasps turn to laughter as Brock notes "But then the Ponyta tossed its mane, making the coins hidden in its fur fall to the ground. The bandit king was amazed at this, and demanded to know how the coins got there." Laughter goes up as the audience pictures the bandit king's reaction. "Patrick explained that the Ponyta was magic, and produced coins that way every day. He sold the Ponyta for fifty gold pieces, telling the bandits to take turns caring for the Ponyta, lest they fight over the money."

More laughter goes up at this. "Patrick spent the night at an inn, and when he returned home, bought himself a vineyard." Brock continues. "Meanwhile, the bandits agreed that their king care for the Ponyta the first night, but it didn't take long to discover that they had been had."

Some "ooh"s and giggles of anticipation fill the air. "The bandits agreed that Patrick needed to be punished for tricking them" Brock goes on. "When Patrick saw the bandits coming, he prepared a wineskin with Tauros blood and hid it inside his wife's clothing. He told her that when the bandits arrived to demand restitution for the Ponyta, they would feign an argument, at which point he would stab the wineskin with a knife, and she would play dead for a few minutes, until she heard her beloved play the guitar. He would then give them an identical guitar to his own." A spotlight appears on Brock's own instrument at center stage.

"The bandits arrived and demanded restitution, and Patrick's plan went perfectly." Brock continues as he takes his own guitar. "Patrick and his wife feigned an argument, until Patrick stabbed the wineskin in feigned anger, seemingly killing his beloved. As the bandits watched in horror at the turn of events, Patrick took his guitar and played his beloved's favorite set, which went something like this."

The audience claps along as Brock plays "Dusknoir's Dream" and "The Thunderbolt Reel" for effect. "The bandits watched in amazement as Patrick's wife appeared to come back to life and dance to the tunes, and demanded to know where they could find an amazing instrument for themselves." he explains when the last note of "The Thunderbolt Reel" dies. "Patrick explained he had a spare guitar just like it, and sold it to the bandits for forty gold pieces."

Giggles go up from the audience. "Patrick went out and used the money to buy some Shiny Grumpigs. The bandits, meanwhile, agreed their king would learn to play the magical guitar first, and then he would teach the others." Brock explains as he deliberately plays a few botched chords to mimic the bandit king trying to play. "But the bandit king had no clue how to play even the basic chords, and it took many dead Pokemon to figure out they'd been had--again!"

Laughter goes up as Brock plays a "running" melody. "So the bandits set out to demand restitution for Patrick tricking them twice, and caught up to him and his Shiny Grumpigs by a river. Having never seen a Shiny Grumpig before, the bandits asked Patrick where he had found them. Patrick explained that Manaphy had given him the Grumpigs as a gift. Excited at the prospect of meeting a Legendary, the bandits charged into the river." Brock explains over another "running" melody. "But since none of them knew how to swim, they pretty much drowned."

More laughter goes up as Brock concludes "The people of the land were relieved to find out someone had defeated those bandits, and the king rewarded Patrick for his cleverness, meaning he never had to worry about food or money again."

The crowd roars as Brock sets his guitar aside and takes a bow...
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 42: Swellow and the Thief)

Week 42: Swellow and the Thief

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 22, story 3)

"Once a thief broke into a temple one night and stole one of the holy scrolls." Brock begins. "But before he could leave with his ill gotten gains..." He starts off towards stage right. "the disciples caught him!" The audience laughs as Brock whirls around and feigns surprise, as if he is the thief caught in the act.

"He was brought before the miko, who was very wise." Brock then addresses the imaginary thief in character as the miko. "I will show mercy and forgive you for your crime if you can find a statue of Arceus that was taken from us by a Swellow."

"And if I don't?" he snarls as the thief.

"Then I will tell the disciples to turn you over to the magistrate." he replies as the miko.

As himself, he continues "The thief immediately agreed, and set out into the forest. It didn't take him long to find the hollow tree where the Swellow built its nest. When he climbed in the hollow, he saw that the Swellow was away as he looked around at all the odds and ends the Swellow had collected. He also saw the Arceus statue on a table, but on the way, he saw a bowl of meat buns on a smaller table. The one he took was tied to a set of bells, which served as the Swellow's alarm." He picks up a bell stick and gently shakes it a few times for effect, to some nervous giggles.

"Sure enough, the bells rang, and it wasn't long before the thief heard a screech and the swoosh of wings as the Swellow arrived in the hollow." As the Swellow, Brock demands "What are you doing in my nest?"

"I should ask you the same--why did you take this statue of Arceus from the temple?" he retorts as himself. The audience laughs as the conversation between the two personas unfolds:

"I oughta tear you to shreds for stealing from my nest!"

"Well, I'd rather be attacked by the strongest Swellow in the land!"

"But I AM the strongest Swellow in the land!"

"Really? I hear the strongest Swellow can fly as high as the heavens and back again!"

Brock waits for the applause to die down before continuing. "So the Swellow took off, flying higher and higher until it was just a speck in the sky. When it returned, the thief challenged..." As the thief, he boasts "Not bad--I know Swellows often dig to find bugs and berries for food, but I hear the strongest Swellow can dig very much like a Ground type!"

As himself, he continues 'So the Swellow started to dig, and the thief urged him to keep going, and going, and going...."

Laughter goes up at the joke. "Eventually, the Swellow got so far down, it was never seen again. The thief took the items the Swellow stole back to the temple, and the miko forgave him for his crime." he concludes. "Needless to say, he turned from his thieving ways and made an honest living after that!"

The crowd laughs and applauds as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 43: The Clever Weaver)

Week 43: The Clever Weaver

(real tale: The Clever Weaver)

"My tale this week is going to be a little different..." Brock explains as the lights come up on an easel at stage left. "I'll be drawing a few pictures as I tell that are important to the story."

With that, he begins "Once a king of a far away land was hearing disputes among his people. It had been a slow morning, and there had not been many cases to be heard. The king thought about going to relax in the royal gardens when a great commotion was heard outside. The lord high chamberlain explained that an envoy from an eastern land had arrived."

"The audience murmurs as Brock continues "Now, it wasn't the envoy that was scary, but the one who sent the envoy. This particular land's emperor was feared by many other kings and queens for his hair trigger temper. So the king ordered the envoy admitted, and threw a huge banquet in his honor. But deep down, he dreaded the envoy's message."

He begins drawing as he continues. "The envoy approached the throne, and traced a form of a circle around it with his walking stick." He then shows the audience his drawing of a circle around the throne.

Whispers of speculation fill the room as the audience wonders what the drawing means. "The royal court had no clue what the odd sign meant, and the envoy didn't say a word." Brock explains. "The king called his advisors together, but even they had no idea. The king pleaded with his advisors to do SOMETHING--for all he knew, the sign meant the emperor was coming to kill them all, or something worse than that. The ministers and advisors fanned out across the city, and asked all the townsfolk what the sign meant. Most of them had no idea, but one minister noticed a weaver at work at her loom--we'll call her Jerica."

The crowd applauds in approval of the name. "Jerica listened as the minister told her about the envoy and the circle, and said that she had an idea what the circle meant, plus a response to the message." Brock continues. "She gathered some Berries and called her Pikachu to her side, and traveled to the palace."

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock approaches the easel again. "Jerica told the king that the circle was, in essence, a declaration of war--the emperor was asking 'If my army surrounded your city, would you stand and fight, or submit to my rule?'"

He begins drawing another picture as he continues "As the court looked on, Jerica scattered the Berries before the throne, and the Pikachu happily ate them all."

"Aws" go up at at Brock's drawing of a happy Pikachu surrounded by Oran Berry skins. "Then Jerica explained her response--the Berries were the emperor's army, and the Pikachu was the king's army. If they were to engage in battle, her king would prevail. The king was stunned by Jerica's wisdom, and handsomely rewarded her as thanks for saving the kingdom." Brock concludes. "Ever since then, the people of that land never forget that wisdom is sometimes found in the oddest of places."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Interlude 11: Waking Flynn Devine)

Interlude 11: Waking Flynn Devine

The costume closet creaks open as Brock studies which of the costumes to wear. After selecting a blue, green, purple, and gold minstrel's costume; he steps behind a screen to change.

"That's odd--why are you becoming Flynn Devine?" a Akane asks as she enters the room.

"While yes, you have mainly seen me portray Flynn in a sketch, I'm planning something different for this week's show." Brock explains from behind the screen. "Telling a story in character as him."

"Oh, how exciting!" Akane gasps.

After a few tense moments, a harp is heard from behind the screen as Brock steps out in full costume as Flynn Devine, harp and all. "Hail and well met, traveler." he smiles before playing an improvisation around a four note melody that builds into a complex piece worthy of a classical composer. While Akane has no idea of the tune's name, she watches Brock's right hand dance across the wire strings as he creates the intricate melodies.

After roughly ten minutes of exploring and playing with the motif, Brock begins gradually taking the song apart, ultimately ending on the same four note melody he started with.

When the last note of the song dies, Akane asks "Does that song have a name, Sir Minstrel?"

"Alas, it has no name thus far." Brock sighs in character. "The muse is fickle that way."

"Please--I would be honored if you would play in this grand hall." Akane begs.

"Really?" Brock asks in character.

"Yes--they say your skill in word and in song is legendary." Akane replies.

Brock smiles. "I'm very flattered you think so." With that, he begins a familiar melody.

Lotta dashes into the room. "Is that 'March of the Wave Guider'?"

"Indeed it is, dear traveler." Brock replies in character as he finishes the song. "Hear now the tragedy of the shining Taillow..."

After playing a sad interlude to focus his thoughts, he begins the story in the ornate language the character is known for. "Once a fairy was condemned by the council of the fey to assume the form of a Pokemon for two years. Since she loved the color yellow, she transformed into a shining Taillow that glowed like the sun. When the two years were up, she flew to a land nestled within the desert. But before she could transform into her true form once again, she was captured by a young tamer of Pokemon...."
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 31st August 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Interlude 11: Waking Flynn Devine)

*phew* Finally got caught up with this. All of the stories are good and I like the various plays that you have :)
    And I haven't really seen and spelling/grammar mistakes so good job there.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Blog Entries

Thank you--I have a new tale planned for today.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 44: The Tricky Guard)

Week 44: The Tricky Guard

(real tale: Till Eulenspiegel in the Tower)

"...and now, imagine yourselves in a forest of a faraway land as renowned minstrel Flynn Devine weaves a tale of wonder and whimsy." Morgan concludes. The audience applauds as the lights go down.

A harp's playful chord pierces the air, and a spotlight appears on Brock in full minstrel costume. "Hail and well met, travelers." he begins. "Perhaps you have heard of the crafty maiden Rava Athamur?" he asks.

Piqued murmurs fill the air. "Rava was quite the charming lass, and used those wiles to outwit others." he explains. "In fact, she once worked as a healer, a smith, a cobbler, a tailor, a tanner, a butcher, a Ponyta dealer, a minstrel and a priestess--all in the same day!" Awed murmurs race through the crowd. "But she is always known as a trickster, and tales of her antics are quite well known in every land."

He plays a soft interlude to collect his thoughts. "The tale I'm going to tell you today concerns how Rava outwitted the count of Ascova."

When the last note of his song dies, he begins "Now one day, Rava came before the count seeking a job. The count was hosting a grand ball that night, and needed a few extra guards to keep order. So he agreed, and promised her a permanent post if she did well."

Giggles fill the air over the harp's festive interlude. "Rava did very well as a guard, and was appointed to her own post. Although at first, she didn't mind not joining in the lavish balls and parties, but as the months wore on, she began wishing she too could join the festivities."

A tense chord quiets the concerned murmurs. "But one day, an enemy kingdom invaded. Rava didn't so much as lift a finger to rouse the army, and watched as all the count's Tauros and Miltanks were carried off." Laughter goes up at this as Brock continues. "When the count saw what was happening, he demanded to know why Rava did not sound an alarm. Rava replied she had not eaten all night. The count demanded Rava sound an alarm, but Rava countered that if she were to sound an alarm at that moment, all of the land's other enemies would hear the horn and invade themselves."

He stops playing to interject "Though the count was angry, he knew he could not argue with Rava's logic."

More laughter goes up. "So he roused the army and rode off to battle himself. Though his Tauros and Miltanks were a lost cause, the count was able to recover some of their meat as spoils when he returned victorious a few weeks later." Applause goes up over Brock's triumphant chord.

"The meat was roasted for a grand victory feast, and yet Rava was not given even gristle as her share." Brock continues. "Finally, she took a horn and sounded an alarm." Some in the audience are startled as a trumpet playing "To Arms" fills the air.

"The count and his men hurried off to battle, but while they were away, Rava helped herself to the meat." Brock muses over a playful interlude. "When the count and his men returned and found out they'd been had, Rava was relieved of her duties right then and there."

Brock concludes over a festive song. "But Rava was more than happy to leave that place, and left on another adventure--but that is another story for another day!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 45: The Buneary Herder)

Week 45: The Buneary Herder

(real tale: Jesper, Who Herded the Hares

"In a far away land, there was a small kingdom on the plains, ruled by a kind and just king." Brock begins. "He only had one child--a daughter named Andrea. He loved Andrea very much, but often laid awake at night wondering what sort of husband Andrea would want when she was of age to marry."

Concerned murmurs waft through the crowd. "When Princess Andrea came of age, her father issued a proclamation throughout his kingdom and the neighboring kingdoms." Brock continues. "Whoever could bring a rainbow of pearls and complete certain challenges devised by the princess would have her hand in marriage. Many a rich merchant, adventurer, and prince came to the castle, but though they had a rainbow of pearls, not one could pass the trials the princess devised. A few adventurers tried to pull a fast one by offering the king some fake pearls, but the king and Princess Andrea were not that easily fooled. Before long, the number of would be suitors trickled off."

"Now, in a certain village by the coast lived a fisherman who had three sons--the youngest of which was named Todd." Brock explains as he returns to his place at center stage. "Todd's brothers were fully grown, but Todd himself had just come of age that year."

Interested whispers fill the air. "One day, the fisherman found a lot of Clamperls and Shellders with pearls inside. Todd and his brothers heard that the king was seeking a suitor for Princess Andrea, and decided to see if any of them was worthy of her hand. So they each gathered a pearl in color, and agreed to set out for the palace in the order of their birth, with the eldest brother setting out the next morning."

Brock then walks around the stage for a moment, as if he is the eldest brother traveling. "The eldest brother had not gotten far when he saw some Durants and some Ledybas battling each other. The Durant queen begged the eldest brother to help her, but the eldest brother refused. Then he met a female mage on the road, who asked what he was carrying. The eldest brother had no idea the woman before him was a mage, and so he said he was carrying cinders. The mage cast a spell to turn the eldest brother's pearls to cinders, much to his horror when he arrived at the palace!"

Laughter fills the air. "The next day, the middle brother set out, and the same thing happened." Brock continues. "He refused to help the Durant queen against the Ledybas, and lied to the mage, saying he was carrying ashes. The mage then turned the pearls into ashes, much to the middle brother's horror when he got to the palace!"

More laughter goes up as the audience pictures the middle brother's reaction. "Finally, it was Todd's turn." Brock begins walking around the stage again with a basket in one hand, in character as Todd. "When the Durant queen asked for his help, he caught as many Ledybas he could in a net. The remaining Ledybas fled, and the Durant queen promised to help Todd."

"Then Todd met the mage, who asked what he was carrying." Brock continues. "Todd showed the mage his pearls, and shared his lunch with her as he told her about what he was going to do with them." He shows the audience a blue prop pearl. "The mage was touched by Todd's kindness, and gave him a magic whistle as thanks." He pauses to pick up one of his own whistles and stick it in a pocket.

"The royal court was amazed when they saw Todd's pearls, and he was welcomed like a prince." Brock continues. "The queen, however, was concerned that Todd was a mere commoner; but Princess Andrea assured her mother that she didn't care for a suitor's riches--if they brought a rainbow of pearls and completed her challenges, she would marry them all the same."

Whispers fill the air as the audience debates what sort of challenges Todd will face. "The next day, the king brought Todd out to a field where a large pile of wheat, barley, oats, and rye stood, and challenged him to separate the one pile into four piles, one of each grain." Brock continues. "As Todd was wondering how to do this, he fell asleep. The Durant queen came with some Durants while Todd slept, and organized the four piles. When the king came to check on him at sunset, he was stunned that Todd had managed to complete the challenge."

"The next day, the king left a hundred Bunearies in Todd's care, telling him if even one was missing at the end of the day, he would fail." Brock intones. "The Bunearies quickly scattered in all directions, and Todd could hardly keep up with all of them. But then he remembered the magic whistle the mage had given him, and decided to play it to see what would happen." With that, he takes the whistle and plays the Zelda whistle noise for effect.

Many of the children in the audience gasp and whisper excitedly when they recognize the little melody Brock played. "No sooner had the whistle's song faded away, the Bunearies came hopping back to his side. Princess Andrea was surprised when Todd returned with the Bunearies, and requested he repeat the challenge for two more days."

"The next day, Princess Andrea came to Todd in disguise as a peasant girl and asked for one of the Bunearies. Todd agreed in return for a kiss." Brock continues. "But at the end of the day, when he used the whistle to call back the Bunearies..." He plays the Zelda whistle theme again. "even the one Todd gave away came hopping back."

"On the third day the queen came to Todd disguised as a huntress, saying she wanted a Buneary to serve a guest for dinner." Brock continues. "Todd agreed--if the huntress would tiptoe in a circle while looking up at the sky and clucking like a Combusken."

The audience howls with laughter as they picture how silly the disguised queen looks. "The queen was unsure, and knew people would think she'd gone nuts, but did what Todd asked of her anyway." Brock continues. "But at the end of the day, when he used the whistle to call back the Bunearies..." He plays the Zelda whistle theme again. "even the one Todd gave away came hopping back."

Applause goes up as Brock concludes "When the king heard of how clever Todd was, and how Princess Andrea seemed to like him, he concluded Todd was the best choice, and the two of them were soon married. When it came time for Todd to ascend the throne, he ruled with the same wisdom and cunning as he did when he herded the Bunearies."

Applause fills the room as Brock takes a bow...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 5th September 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 46: The Children of the Trees)

Week 46: The Children of the Trees

(real tale: Asmund and Signy)

"There was once a king that ruled over a faraway land." Brock begins. "He had a wife he loved very much, plus two children--a boy named Rowan and a girl named Amber."

The crowd applauds in approval of the names. "Prince Rowan and Princess Amber were taught well in all manner of things, so they would grow up to be wise and clever rulers." Brock continues. "Prince Rowan especially loved the outdoors, and after some begging and pleading, convinced his father to buy him two trees large enough for a person to fit inside. Once they were planted, he asked his sister if she would like one of the trees as her own tree house. Princess Amber loved the idea, and she and her brother spent hours moving their things in and decorating their trees. Whenever the palace got chaotic, they could travel to their tree houses for some peace and quiet."

He then walks over to his chair at center stage, where his guitar is waiting. "Life was grand for the two of them for many years, but then things took a turn for the worse just as they both came of age." he explains as he plays a sad melody. "Their father had to go to war to defend their homeland, and while he was away on the battlefield, their mother caught a horrible disease. Despite her children's and the royal healer's best efforts, she succumbed a few months later. The prince and the princess were overwhelmed by sadness and fear, and retreated to their tree houses. They agreed they would not come out until their father had returned."

Brock's song then turns hopeful. "Meanwhile, in another kingdom lived a king who had a son he loved very much--we'll call the son Jonathan. Jonathan had heard about Princess Amber, and decided she was the one he would marry. With his father's blessing, he set sail for the land where Princess Amber lived. He didn't count on a witch meeting him in the guise of Princess Amber."

Concerned murmurs race through the crowd over a tense chord. "Prince Jonathan fell hook, line, and sinker for the witch's trick, believing she was Princess Amber." Brock continues. "The witch dug up the two tree houses containing Prince Rowan and the real Princess Amber and took them with her to Jonathan's homeland, believing them to be two normal trees. The fake Princess Amber was welcomed and given a little house of her own, where she planted the tree houses."

A light chord quiets the whispering. "Prince Rowan and the real Princess Amber saw all of this from the tree houses, and they watched as the witch ranted and raved about having to make her own wedding gown--since she had no idea how to sew." Laughter goes up from Brock's wry observation. "Prince Rowan wanted to warn Prince Jonathan about the trap he was about to fall for, but wasn't sure how to go about it."

He plays a "busy" interlude. "He asked his sister to make a wedding gown for the fake Princess Amber, and have Prince Jonathan go with him when he delivered it to the witch. So the real Princess Amber went to work, and Prince Jonathan went with Prince Rowan to deliver the wedding gown a week later."

A foreboding chord goes up as Brock intones "Prince Jonathan was shocked when he heard the witch plotting to kill him, Rowan, Amber, and the court, and take the castle for herself. He ordered the house burned to the ground, and the witch was killed in the fire."

"Prince Rowan showed Prince Jonathan the real Princess Amber, and the two of them fell in love." Brock concludes over a festive song. "Prince Rowan found a bride of his own a few days later, so both weddings were celebrated together. Both couples remained very close friends, and often visited each other. They all lived happily ever after, never forgetting the tree houses that brought them together."

The crowd roars as Brock gets up and takes a bow....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 47: The Patient Prince)

Week 47: The Patient Prince

(real tale: He Wins Who Waits)

"There was once a king who had a daughter he loved very much--we'll call her Christa." Brock begins. "Princess Christa had been spoiled rotten ever since she was born, and was as crafty and wise as she was beautiful. By the time Princess Christa was of age to marry, she didn't want a thing to do with all the would be suitors that came to call every day. She the declared she would be choosing her own husband, thank you very much."

Laughter goes up at the master storyteller's quip. "Her father had learned long ago that once Princess Christa had made up her mind, she would not take no for an answer. So he asked her what she wanted to do to choose a husband. Princess Christa showed her father a gold Leppa Berry, and said..."

In character as a young lady, Brock declares "Summon all the young men in the land to come here on this day next month. The one I give this Leppa Berry to will be my husband."

"But, sweetheart--!" he protests in an older male voice.

"I SAID WHOEVER I GIVE THIS LEPPA BERRY TO WILL BE MY HUSBAND!!!!" he roars in reply as Princess Christa, making the audience laugh and applaud at the interplay.

Brock waits for the applause to die down before continuing as himself. "A month went by, and all the young men of the land assembled at the palace gate. The princess passed before them all--short and tall, fat, and thin, rich and poor, until she finally gave the Leppa Berry to a poor widow's son--we'll call him Justin." He pauses to offer an imagined Leppa Berry to someone when he mentions the boy's name, as if he is really there. "The king was confused--he asked Princess Christa to pass through the rows a second time, and then a third, before reluctantly allowing her to marry Justin." Brock continues. "Christa was well versed in sewing and building things to sell, but despite everyone's efforts, Justin's family grew poorer still. Justin offered to go into town in search of work. He happened upon a merchant's caravan, and offered to come on board as a servant. The merchant agreed, and gave him a thousand gold pieces up front--he would receive the rest when the caravan got to its ultimate destination."

Murmurs go up as the audience debates what will happen to Justin on his journey. "Before he left, Princess Christa gave him three words of advice--'The one the heart loves is the most beautiful', 'Patience is the first step on the road to happiness' and 'He who waits, wins.'" Brock continues before telling the audience "Remember those, they'll be important later."

Giggles go up as Brock continues "The caravan left early the next day, and while the journey was pleasant at first, it wasn't too long before the Ponytas and the Ponytas' riders were all dying of thirst from the hot sun. Justin saw a pool of water inside a cave, but as he was drawing water, a ghost appeared and asked which of two children--a boy and a girl--were the nicest looking."

"The one the heart loves is the most beautiful." the audience replies.

"Justin told the ghost this answer, and it transformed into a man. He gave Justin a ruby, a diamond, and an emerald as thanks for setting him free from an evil wizard's curse." Brock continues. "Justin sent the jewels home, and Princess Christa used them to buy food, shelter and clothing, so Justin's mom didn't need to worry about food or money again."

The audience applauds at this. "The caravan reached its ultimate destination, and Justin received the remainder of his wages." Brock continues. "Justin wanted to return to his beloved Christa, but the merchant's wife had grown fond of him, and pleaded with him to stay. Justin remembered what Christa had said before..."

"Patience is the first step on the road to happiness." the audience repeats.

Brock beams, pleased that he hasn't had to prompt the audience on the three words of advice. "Justin agreed to stay with the merchant and his family for a year." he continues. "Meanwhile, other men were getting word of Princess Christa's wisdom and beauty, and many of them came to the house as would be suitors. But Princess Christa kept refusing them, saying she still had hope Justin would return. When the year was up and Justin returned home, his first thought was to kill all the suitors crowded around Princess Christa. But then he remembered Princess Christa's advice..."

"He who waits. wins." the audience replies.

"Justin waited until all the men had left before showing himself to Princess Christa." Brock concludes. "Needless to say, Christa was overjoyed to see him. A year later, they had a child of their own. But Justin was the happiest of all when the boy was born--he had waited, and he had won."

Last edited by LightningTopaz; 12th September 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 48: Sorin's Dance)

Week 48: Sorin's Dance

(real tale: The Rabbit and the Wolf)

"Okay, when I get to the first song Sorin sings, play 'The Ring of Light'" Brock instructs a few of the Firelights as he reaches for a pair of tap shoes in the backstage clutter. "Then when Sorin sings a second time, play it a little bit faster."

"Got it!" the fiddler replies as she tunes up.

Lotta watches as Brock puts on the tap shoes and starts stretching. "Is this the first time Brock's danced to tell a story?"

"I'm not sure, but it's the first one I remember." Yuki replies. "He says he learned this one on a campout with Ash and Misty."

"Ooh, how fun!" Rylan replies as he joins Lotta and Yuki in the wings to watch the performance unfold.

Meanwhile, Brock has ran onstage to meet the crowd. "Now, everyone knows that Sorin is quite the trickster..." he begins.

Thunderous cheers go up at the familiar beginning. "And he especially loved playing tricks on ol' Mightyena. Well one day Mightyena decided enough was enough, and he was going to get Sorin back for all those times he tricked him." Brock pantomimes sharpening a knife. "So one day, he saw Sorin passing through a field and threatened to cut his ears off. So as he sharpened his knife, Mightyena sang..." In a deeper version of his own voice, he sings <i>Crer ca welan,
    Crer ca welan;
    Kayn a yott fiul ree puks yar yos yotrz.
    Sicum, sicum, sicum, sicum,
    Sicum, se mi su!</i>

Applause goes up at the gibberish song. "When Mightyena got to the part about 'Sicum, sicum, sicum, sicum, sicum, se mi su', Sorin could almost feel the sharp knife cutting off his ears. But he was a brave little Pikachu, and didn't say anything as Mightyena kept on singing and sharpening the knife." Brock continues, still pantomiming sharpening a knife. "Mightyena stopped singing for a moment, and Sorin called..." In his standard "Sorin" voice, he calls "Hey, Mightyena! Wanna see a new dance I learned?"

"A new dance?" he asks as Mightyena. "Will you teach it to me?"

"Only if you don't cut off my ears." he replies as Sorin. The interplay continues for a while:

"Is it as beautiful as a jig?"

"Yes, very pretty."

"Is it as beautiful as a waltz?"

"Yes, just as beautiful."

"Is it as pretty as a reel?"

"Yes, just as pretty."

As himself, Brock continues "Mightyena kept asking if the new dance was prettier than other dances he had seen, and Sorin kept saying it was. Not only that, but the Spring Festival was also coming, and Mightyena was eager to learn a new dance to impress the other Pokemon." He digs an egg shaker from his shirt pocket as he continues "Mightyena forgot all about cutting off Sorin's ears and begged him to teach him the dance. Sorin quickly made a shaker from an eggshell and gave it to Mightyena, instructing him to keep time with it as he danced. So Mightyena obediently kept time..." Brock begins shaking the shaker to a skipping like beat--a discrete signal to the Firelights to tell them how fast to play. "and Sorin danced around him singing..." As Sorin, he sings. <i>Crer ca nenfa yolauwr wa gier,
    Crer ca nenfa yolauwr wa gier,
    Hi, ri yu, iliyo!
    Hi, ri yu, iliyo!</i>

The Firelights join in on cue as Brock dances around the stage in a wide circle, still shaking the shaker to the beat so the audience can clap along. Yuki is enthralled by the hypnotic clicking and clacking of Brock's feet on the stage. "He's good!"

"Incredible! I didn't know Brock was a dancer as well!" Akane agrees as the Firelights play the tune through three times. Brock, meanwhile, is lost in the music as he dances, as if he is Sorin dancing with Mightyena in the story.

When the song ends and the applause dies down, Brock continues "Then Sorin made a ring around the field, and told Mightyena to join in singing and dancing with him. They danced so fast and for so long, Mightyena had no idea Sorin was nearing the edge of the field. Sorin, meanwhile, sang..." As Sorin again, he sings <i>Fror a nenfa yan wa ela yamb wa gier,
    Fror a nenfa yan wa ela yamb wa gier,
    Hi, ri yu, iliyo!
    Hi, ri, yu, iliyo!</i>

The Firelights play 'The Ring of Light' again at a slightly faster tempo. Brock dances slightly faster as well, still shaking the shaker in time to the faster tempo as the tune is again played through three times. The audience is just as enthralled, and eagerly clap along to the tune.

When the last note dies, Brock concludes "By the time Mightyena came to his senses, Sorin had disappeared into the brush and he was far too dizzy to chase him. Sorin, meanwhile, was glad his ears were in one piece!"

Thunderous applause goes up from the crowd, but Lotta, Yuki, Akane, and Rylan's cheers are the loudest as the Firelights join Brock onstage to take a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Interlude 12: An Adventure in the Making)

Interlude 12: An Adventure in the Making

"You know, we haven't done a Mistress Fever adventure in a while..." Kano notes before showing Lotta a pile of fan mail. "The fans have been clamboring to know just when--or if--she'll appear again."

"Well, if you want to brainstorm another story, let's do it!" Lotta replies before running off to find Brock and the others.

When we join the group in a conference room, Brock is setting a stopwatch for ten minutes. "Okay, so who wants to take the first ten minute block and start this story?" he asks.

"I will." Kano replies.

"Your ten minutes begins now." With that, Brock hits the stopwatch's START button.

"Okay, so in Raven di Wynter's secret lab, Raven is making a shrinking potion, boasting that it could make a six foot person the size of his pinky." Kano begins. "He looks in on Pewter University from a crystal ball, saying that soon he will be the big man on campus--literally!"

"Ooh, that's good!" Akane comments.

"He wastes no time in crystallizing the potion into his icy magic, making anyone or anything hit with it shrink." Kano continues. "He successfully shrinks an unsuspecting passerby or two, but then one of the lackeys brings up Mistress Fever. Raven assures the lackeys that he has a plan--capture Zane, and then attack Mistress Fever with the enhanced spell. He manages to find and shrink Zane..."

"How are we going to pull that off?" Rylan wonders.

"Well, we could record your shrunken lines in advance, speed them up, and have the 'shrunken' you be a mini puppet doll that Brock could secretly perform with another finger." Lotta suggests.

"Considering how I would probably be holding the cage, that would hide from the audience that I was performing the 'shrunk' Rylan." Brock replies.

"Anyway, Elena is on a walk in the park when she hears Zane's call for help, and transforms into Mistress Fever. She wastes no time in confronting Raven, the two fight, but then Raven casts his enhanced spell..."

"Aw"s fill the air as the stopwatch goes off. After waiting for Brock to reset the stopwatch, Yuki continues "...and Mistress Fever is shrunk too!"

"I have a cool idea!" Rylan interrupts. "Lotta and me would appear normal sized at this point, but we could slow Brock's voice down to create the illusion he is larger to us."

"Anyway, once Raven leaves, Mistress Fever busts herself and Zane free." Yuki continues. "But Zane slips off the table and falls in a bucket of water. After casting a spell of hers to dry Zane out, the two of them go to work booby trapping the door."

"This is getting good..." Lotta smiles as she writes down the unfolding story.

"Meanwhile, Raven is growing weary of shrinking people one at a time, and contemplates how to shrink a lot of people at once." Yuki continues. "One lackey reminds him that singing a spell is more effective than speaking an incantation. Raven says that is true, but it's been a while since he has sang a spell, and needs to refresh his memory on the spellsongs. He falls for Mistress Fever and Zane's trap, literally!"

"And then?" Kano asks, piqued.

"Zane and Mistress Fever escape, and lose Raven and his lackeys in a hole." Yuki continues. "But just when they think they're safe, they see ominous eyes in the dark. On top of that, Mistress Fever is tired from the running, and doesn't have much strength left!"

The stopwatch beeping interrupts Yuki. "Aw, right when I got to a good part!" she grumbles.

Akane picks up where Yuki leaves off. "They are confronted by Rattatas, but no matter where they run in the cave, they find Rattatas at every turn. In all her exhaustion, Mistress Fever has turned back into normal Elena, but she summons what strength she has and transforms again. Transforming again has renewed Mistress Fever's strength, and she easily deals with the Rattatas."

"They're not out of the woods yet, are they?" Brock notes as he studies the stopwatch.

"They then fall into a Rattata trap, and then Zane is captured by a Taillow. Mistress Fever saves Zane, but they don't know Raven is about to sing a rain spell enhanced with his shrinking potion!" Akane concludes just as the stopwatch goes off. "I will let you conclude this tale." she tells Brock with a little bow.

After giving himself ten minutes, Brock begins "Raven sings the spell..." He pauses to sing <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i> for effect. "This shrinks a good portion of Pewter, and a few lackeys." Luckily, Mistress Fever arrives with Zane. She rallies the people to follow her into Raven's hideout, makes a makeshift fiddle out of a fern leaf, a stick, and some of Zane's hair."

"We could ask one of the Firelights to provide the sound, while Lotta pantomimes playing." Rylan suggests.

"I'm sure the Firelights could also teach me how to look like I'm playing the fiddle..." Lotta agrees.

"Mistress Fever plays a slow air on her fern-fiddle that puts Raven to sleep." Brock continues. "With Raven sleeping, Mistress Fever absorbs some of the shrinking potion into her own magic, and shrinks him too!"

Laughter fills the air at this. "Mistress Fever puts him in a nut and heaves that into the fountain on the grounds of his hideout. She then undoes the shrink spell--Fire, gleam and glow, make these people grow!" Brock concludes. "The city, Zane, and Mistress Fever turn back to normal, and the city is safe again--for now."

"That's perfect." Lotta smiles as she finishes the conclusion. "I can't wait to become Mistress Fever again!"
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 14th September 2012 at 09:09 PM.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Interlude 12: An Adventure in the Making)

Yay, more Mistress Fever :) Can't wait to read more of her adventures
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Next week you'll get most of the adventure

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 6: Big Man on Campus, part 1)

Sidestory 6: Big Man on Campus (part 1)

The fanfare announcing a Mistress Fever adventure quiets the chatter in the auditorium. "Picture this...deep in the heart of his secret hideout, the notorious Raven di Wynter is hard at work on a shrinking potion." Kano begins from a spotlight at stage right. He lets that hang as the lights come up on the set of a lab. Brock, in character as Raven di Wynter, is adding some yellow food coloring to some already red colored water, turning it orange. "There...the <i>pozione di ridurre</i> is ready."

"What good will a shrinking potion do, Boss?" a girl playing a lackey asks.

"Just think...a few drops of this will shrink a six foot person down to the size of the pinky finger." Brock explains, showing the lackey his pinky to prove his point. He then turns his attention to a crystal ball, which displays an image of a school campus. "And once the entire city is shrunk, it is I who will be the big man on campus!"

An ominous stinger punctuates this. "You're gonna put it in a water gun or a squirting flower or something?" the lackey asks.

"No...I will absorb it into my own magic..." Brock replies as he dips his gloved fingers into the "potion", making the orange water glow for a moment. "This way, any target of my <i>Lancia a freddo</i> will shrink down to the size of a pinky!"

The lights go down for a moment, then come up again on a crowd of people at a bus stop. Suddenly, Brock's voice calls <i>Lancia a freddo!</i> engulfing an unsuspecting boy in blue light. When it fades, he has "shrunk" down to the size of a finger puppet. Then a girl is engulfed in the same light, making her "shrink" too.

"And so, Raven went about town, shrinking hundreds of people in his wake." Kano narrates as the crowd continues to "shrink". "But one of his minions had an important point to make..."

"But Boss, what are we going to do if Mistress Fever gets wind of all this?" the girl asks as she and Brock come on before the curtain.

"Easy...we capture the boy she loves, shrink him, and when she comes to the rescue, her fire will be no bigger than a tiny ember." Brock explains as the lights go down completely.

"Meanwhile, mild mannered student reporter Zane was interviewing the owner of a local business, and had just finished his interview when Raven struck." Kano narrates."

The lights come up on Rylan, in character as Zane, writing something down on a notepad. "All right...thank you again for the interview." he smiles as he shakes Morgan's hand.

"You're most welcome." Morgan replies. "You're probably one of the best reporters the campus newspaper has to offer."

Rylan walks off across the stage for a moment. "I wonder what Elena's doing today?" he muses. "Maybe she'll want to have lunch with me...

This is as far as he gets before running into Brock and the lackey. "Good morning..." Brock deviously smiles.

"Why, Raven di Wynter!" Rylan gasps. "Whatever your plot is this time, I want no part of it!"

"Too bad...I saved a part just for you!" Brock retorts before triggering some blue lights hidden in the gloves of his costume, making them appear to glow. <i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

Rylan is engulfed in the blue light, making him "shrink" down to the size of a finger puppet. "Now then, little guy..." Brock snickers as the lackey puts the finger puppet of Rylan inside a cage. "Scream good and loud, so Mistress Fever can hear you!"

A high pitched scream pierces the air as the lights blink off. Lotta, as Elena walks on the stage a few seconds later and hears the scream. "That's Zane's voice...he must be in danger!" She then holds her right hand up high. <i>Potere di rubino!</i>

The audience cheers as the transformation video plays, but the cheers grow louder when Lotta emerges as Mistress Fever some minutes later. "Hang on, Zane! I'm coming!" she calls before making a flying leap offstage.

Tense murmurs fill the air as the lights come up on Raven's hideout, where Brock and the lackey are waiting with the "shrunk" Rylan. "She should be here any minute now..."

The triumphant stinger plays as Lotta jumps in the scene. "Ye that dares to shrink the city, the fire will not spare you any pity!" she announces as she charges a red light in her hands.

<I>Lancia a freddo!</I> Brock fires his own "spell" first.

<i>Fuoco stelle</i> Lotta's spell also goes flying.

"Which spell will strike first?" Kano narrates. "Will Mistress Fever be shrunk too? Stay tuned for part 2 of 'Big Man on Campus'!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast