EVERYONE: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 52: The Enchanted Deerling) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 52: The Enchanted Deerling)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 1)

It's on my to-do list, I haven't forgotten.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 2)

@Chimchar98; @Chaosj2; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 2)

The audience murmurs for a moment before the triumphant stinger plays again. "When we last left our heroine, Mistress Fever..." Kano begins. "she was searching for clues as to why snow was appearing in May. "But she didn't know that the answer was her sworn nemesis, Raven di Wynter!" Boos fill the air at the character's name. "He was bringing terror on the city by freezing anyone and anything that opposed him!"

He lets that hang as some blue flashes light up the darkness and Brock's voice calls <i>Lancia a freddo!</i> several times.

The lights come up on Lotta as she makes a flying jump into the scene. "Oh, Mistress Fever, thank Arceus you're here!" a girl cries. "Raven di Wynter is running amok through the city, freezing anyone that opposes his sinister plans!"

"So THAT's why snow is appearing in May..." Lotta muses to the audience. "Do you know where Raven's headed now?" she asks the girl.

"I don't know, but maybe if you follow the ice and snow-beings, you'll find him!" the girl replies. With that, the lights go down.

"Mistress Fever thanked the girl for the tip, and soared off to follow the icy trail Raven left in his wake." Kano narrates. "Meanwhile, Zane arrived at the place where the first snow-Pikachu was spotted..."

The lights come up on Rylan walking into the scene and discovering the "snow-Pikachu" from earlier. "Wow...this is a snow-Pokemon! I wonder if there's any clues in this old house..."

"Unbeknownst to Zane, he was walking right smack into Raven di Wynter's secret lair." Kano narrates.

"Hello, anyone here?" Rylan calls before the lights come up on the lab set from before. "Hello?" He looks around in feigned awe. "It looks like some kind of lab--but what kind of scientist would do their research in an old house?"

Brock's footsteps in the distance startle him. "Someone's coming! I have to hide!" With that, Rylan ducks into a closet, seconds before Brock and a few boys and girls playing lackeys enter the scene.

"Today, Pewter City...tomorrow the world!" Brock proclaims as the lackeys cheer. "No one can resist my power! If they do not do as I command, they will feel the power of my icy hand!"

"He's going to turn Pewter City into a giant Popsicle--I have to do something!" Rylan comments. "I have to tell Mistress Fever!"

He is about to try and escape the closet, but he trips over a wire, making books and other junk rain on top of him.

The crash gets a lackey's attention. "Boss, did you hear something just now?" she asks Brock.

"Of course I did..." Brock sneers as he opens the closet, revealing the mess and the shaking Rylan. "I heard a spy listening in on our great plan!"

"The game is up, Raven di Wynter!" Rylan protests. "I heard every word of your diabolical plot, and I will see to it you feel the fire of Mistress Fever!"

"So, you have connections with the lovely Mistress Fever? If you want to tell her all about my plans, she will have to melt you first!" Brock warns. Rylan braces himself for the "spell" as Brock charges some blue light.

"Will Zane be the victim of a frosty fate?" Kano intones as the lights go down. "Can Mistress Fever rescue him in time? Stay tuned for part three of 'Freeze Flame'" The audience murmurs in fear as the lights come up for intermission...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 3)

Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 3)

A triumphant stinger announces the start of the third part of Mistress Fever's first adventure. "Mild mannered student reporter Zane, while out investigating why snow and ice were appearing in the middle of May, inadvertently falls into the clutches of the dastardly Raven di Wynter!" Kanto narrates. He lets that hang as the lights come up on Rylan bracing himself for Brock's "spell".

"Wait, boss!" a lackey dashes in. "I have a better idea...."

"Really?" Brock stays his "spell". "Let's hear it."

"Why don't we take the boy to the TV station and force him to tell the city you are its new leader?" the lackey explains. "And if any try to resist, you'll freeze them!"

A devious smile forms on Brock's face. "I'm not freezing you just yet, my little spy." With that, he drags Rylan off stage. "In fact, I may spare you if you'll do what I ask of you...."

"Let go, you bully!" Rylan retorts as he "struggles" to get free, discreetly sticking a note on a table on the way out.

The lights come up on Kano again. "Meanwhile, Mistress Fever was searching for Raven di Wynter, and eventually located his secret lair, not knowing she had missed her nemesis by mere seconds."

"Hello, Raven...I know you're hiding around here somewhere..." Lotta calls from the darkness before she peeks in the lab. "Come out, come out, wherever you are..." She then notices Rylan's note. "Hm...Dear Mistress Fever, I have been captured by Raven di Wynter--if you don't hurry, he will force me to tell the city that he is its new leader. Help me! Love, Zane!"

Lotta pockets Rylan's note. "Then I guess my trip here was for nothing--I have to get to the TV station, and fast!"

"Meanwhile, as TV cameras rolled, Zane began reading the dire message that Raven had forced him to read." Kano narrates as a spotlight appears on Rylan.

"People of Pewter City, Raven di Wynter stands before you as your new leader." Rylan stammers. "If anyone tries to flee or oppose him, they will be frozen into snowmen, snowwomen, and snow-Pokemon..."

The lights blink over to Brock and the lackey holding the cue cards. "Just think...in just a few short minutes, I will rule this city!" Brock giddily muses.

"The boy has three more cards left to read, boss." the lackey assures him.

Rylan, meanwhile, decides to deviate from the script. "As much as I want to say goodbye to my beloved Elena, I guess a song will have to do instead." A jazzy beat begins and he begins singing <i>Never know how much I love you....never know how much I care....When you put your arms around me, I get a fever that's so hard to bear...</i>

"Wait a second, there's no musical numbers in here!" the lackey protests.

Rylan just keeps singing. <i>You give me fever, when you kiss me,
    Fever when you hold me tight....
    Fever!
    In the morning,
    Fever all through the night...</i>

Kano appears in his spotlight as the music continues. "What Raven and his minions didn't know was Zane's song was actually a coded distress signal to call Mistress Fever--she heard the song, and raced down to confront Raven on live TV."

The lights come up on Rylan still singing the song. <i>You give me fever, when you kiss me,
    Fever when you hold me tight....
    Fever!
    In the morning,
    Fever all through the night...</i>

"You called?" Lotta asks as she walks in the scene, to the audience's cheers.

"Mistress Fever! You made it!" Rylan runs and hugs Lotta.

Lotta undoes Rylan's bindings, then addresses Brock. "You have nowhere to run now, Raven! It's time for you to face the fire of justice!" She then triggers some wires hidden in her gloves, making her hands appear to glow red. <i>Fuoco stelle!</i>

The audience laughs as Brock appears to almost dance as he avoids Lotta's "spells" <i>Fuoco stelle! Fuoco stelle! Fuoco stelle!</i>

"Mistress Fever kept firing her flaming stars in all directions, but she didn't count on Raven to counterattack." Kano narrates as the "battle" rages onstage.

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i> Lotta fires another "spell"

<i>Lancia a freddo!</i> Brock fires another "spell" of his own. The two lights create a bright flash at center stage, but when the "explosion" fades, a "snowwoman" shaped like Mistress Fever is in Lotta's place, making the audience gasp.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Rylan screams.

"Has all hope really been lost? Will the city be forced to endure the rule of Raven di Wynter?" Kano asks. "Don't miss the exciting conclusion of 'Freeze Flame'!"
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 3rd August 2012 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 4)

Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 4)

The audience holds their breaths as the stinger heralding the conclusion of Mistress Fever's first adventure plays. "It seemed as if the unthinkable had occurred...Mistress Fever's power of flame, bested by the notorious Raven di Wynter's icy magic?" Kano narrates.

The lights blink over to Rylan tearfully studying the "frozen" Lotta. "Mistress Fever, speak to me!" he pleads.

'The people tried everything to defrost Mistress Fever." Kano narrates as various people gather around Rylan to "defrost" Lotta. "Warm water from a fire hose, salting her...they even tried heating her over a fire pit. But nothing appeared to work..."

He lets that hang as the lights come up on Rylan observing the fire pit. "It's over...the end of Pewter City, Kanto...and the world..." With that, he bursts into tears. "Now Raven di Wynter will rule us all!" he sobs.

Some ominous music plays over some evil laughter. "At last! The world is mine!" Brock triumphantly announces atop a tower that resembles an icicle. "And there's no one that can resist my power any more! I am invincible!"

"But Raven didn't count on the real power--the power of Zane's love." Kano narrates as one of Rylan's tears lands on the "frozen" Lotta, making it glow a bright red.

Even Brock is surprised. "What? It can't be!"

The audience roars with applause as Lotta emerges from the "snow", unharmed. "I'm fine, Zane..." she assures Rylan. "You know that fire always defeats ice."

Rylan's glum look turns to joy. "SHE'S ALIVE!!!" he joyfully screams as he hugs Lotta.

"Oh, Zane...the power of Moltres' fire in my heart melted the ice." Lotta explains. "But your kind concern made it even stronger!"

"But how do you plan on stopping Raven di Wynter?" Rylan asks.

"With the fire of a phoenix risen anew!" With that, Lotta "flies" off.

On the icicle tower, a lackey points out Lotta on a platform that looks like a cloud. "Hey, boss! Mistress Fever's still alive!"

"I'm not worried." Brock replies as he charges a blue light in his hands. "My icy powers stopped her once, and they can do it again."

With that, he casts his "spell". <i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i> Lotta counterattacks with a flash of red light.

Kano then appears in his spotlight, with red and blue flashes lighting up the stage. "Raven could hardly keep up with Mistress Fever's hypersonic speed. A crowd formed at the Ice Tower's base to watch the aerial ballet of fire and ice lighting up the sky."

At this, Brock's and Lotta's voices echo from the dark stage. <i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i>

<i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i>

<i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i>

<i>Lancia a freddo!</i>

<i>Fuoco stelle!</i>

"Mistress Fever flew faster and faster around the tower--the more Raven and his minions tried to fire off a spell, the dizzier they got." Kano narries as the blue flashes appear less and less frequently. "Mistress Fever took that opportunity to cast one of her strongest spells..."

A bright red flash lights up the stage. <i>Febbre radiante!</i> Lotta calls over Brock's final scream of pain.

Rylan runs to hug Lotta. "You did it, Mistress Fever! But what about all the frozen people and Pokemon?"

"I didn't forget about them." Lotta assures Rylan before calling <i>Fuoco, bagliore e bagliore ... liberare il popolo dalla neve!</i>

A bright red flash lights up the stage, revealing that the "frozen" people and Pokemon are all right.

"And so, Mistress Fever triumphed over Raven di Wynter's icy scheme, and the world was safe." Kano concludes. "But when the chill of evil rises again, her heart of fire will come shining through!"

The audience cheers as the cast comes out to take a bow...

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Sidestory 5: Freeze Flame (part 4)

Very nice! *applauds* Do you think we'll see Mistress Fever again at some point?
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Blog Entries

Yes--I do have several other Mistress Fever adventures planned (and you will see the planning sessions for them)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 35: Manaphy's Letter)

Week 35: Manaphy's Letter

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 19, story 2)

"You may not know this, but traveling used to be pretty hard in Shinou." Brock begins as he looks out on the crowd.

Interested murmurs fill the air at this. "Not only did it take months to get anywhere, but disease and thieves often meant that some people never made it home."

Concerned whispers race through the crowd as Brock continues pacing the stage. "One day, a boy--we'll call him Yuji-- decided to travel to a faraway village to visit a friend." he explains. "At first, the journey was uneventful, but as he came to the coastal region, he stopped to rest by a spring. As Yuji was resting, the spring water glowed a light blue, and Manaphy appeared to him. Manaphy offered Yuji a letter and told him..."

In character as a young boy, he asks "Will you take this letter to my friend Phione? He lives in a spring on the other end of the coast. If you sing this song..." He then proceeds to sing in character as Manaphy <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i>

Speaking as Manaphy again, he concludes. "he will know you come on my behalf."

As himself, he goes on. " Yuji accepted Manaphy's letter, and continued on his way. He reached the other side of the coast some days later. A mage met him on the way, and asked where he was going. Yuji told the mage where he was going, and offered him Manaphy's letter. The mage read over the ancient runes for a moment..." Brock paused to read over an imaginary piece of paper. "and was shocked at what they said."

He intones as an older man "The letter says that a great Gyarados is due to attack the coast, and that Phione needs to flee. But who am I to guess that Manaphy is in danger too?"

In a slightly higher version of himself, he pleads as Yuji "But I am unworthy to appear before a Legendary! Please, take this letter in my stead!"

"Phione is a young Legendary, and so would be afraid of me." he explains as the mage.

As himself, he continues "Yuji reluctantly agreed to take the letter, and continued on his way. When he got to the spring, he sang <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i>

Sure enough, Phione appeared in a flash of light. He was horrified at what Manaphy's letter said, and gave Yuji a bow just as the Gyarados appeared from the sea!"

Excited cheers go up as Brock picks up a bow of his own, and fires a few arrows at targets hidden in the backdrop, arranged more or less in the shape of a Gyarados' sinewy body. The crowd holds their breaths as each arrow flies away with a whistle, and cheer when it lands on its intended target with a <i>thunk</i>.

The cheers grow louder as Brock hits the last target, "defeating" the "Gyarados". "Phione was elated the Gyarados was defeated, and rewarded Yuji with a pot of gold. Meanwhile, Manaphy was relieved Phione was all right, and agreed to watch over the coastal road." he explains as he gets his gear in order.

He concludes "To this day, whenever a traveler stops at a spring on the Shinou coast, they give thanks to Manaphy and Phione for keeping watch over the coast."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 36: The Gold Pidgeot)

Week 36: The Gold Pidgeot

(real tale: How Ian Direach Got the Blue Falcon)

"In a far away land, there lived a king and queen that ruled over a vast kingdom." Brock begins as he looks out over the crowd. "They also had a son they loved very much--we'll call him Kiran. Kiran was well loved and well liked across the kingdom--he was a fine hunter, sailor, singer, and storyteller, among other things."

"One year, just before Kiran came of age, the queen died from a terrible disease. The whole kingdom mourned for her, but it wasn't long before the king married again. But Kiran never forgot his mother, and cherished the memories of her." Brock continued. "Now, Kiran particularly enjoyed hunting, usually alongside a Ninetales he had befriended--we'll call her Kitsune. So one morning, he was searching for Kitsune in the forest, when he saw a great gold Pidgeot fly past him."

Interested murmurs go up at this. "Try as Kiran might to hit the majestic Pokemon, his arrows merely grazed its feathers." He pantomimes shooting a bow to illustrate this, making a gold feather fall to his feet. "As it was getting late, Kiran took the feather and set out for home."

A spotlight comes up on a chair as Brock returns to center stage, with his guitar nearby. "When he got home, his stepmother desired the golden Pidgeot for herself, and banished Kiran from the castle until he found it." he explains as he settles in the chair, takes his guitar, and starts a relaxed melody. "Kiran traveled for many hours with not so much as a sign of the gold Pidgeot. Finally, he made camp in a forest as the sun set, and drifted to sleep."

He plays a soft harmonic chord to represent Kitsune appearing. "As Kiran slept, Kitsune met him in the forest." In his best mimic of Ash's Riolu character Erin, he intones over a mystical melody "I hear ye are on a journey, milord; so I bring ye a meager meal te get ye true te night."

As himself, he interjects "Kiran told Kitsune about his quest over the small meal of Buneary meat and Berries. Kitsune told him... As Kitsune again, he replies "Te Pidgeot ye seek belongs te a terrifying giant in te mauntains. I will show you te his house, and you are te present yeself as a servant. Treat his Pokemon well, and ye will earn his troost. One dey, he will leave on a journey himself--wait until he is out of sight, ten trow a cloak over te gold Pidgeot. Boot if even one of her gold featers touches anyting in te giant's cave, terrible tings will happen."

The audience applauds at Brock's spot on mimic of the little puppet Riolu. "The next morning, Kitsune led Kiran to the giant's cave, and everything happened as Kitsune said--Kiran took such good care of the giant's Pokemon, that he earned the right to handle and groom the gold Pidgeot."

Awed murmurs fill the air. "One day, the giant told Kiran he was leaving to see a friend that lived in a neighboring mountain." Brock continues. "Kiran waited until the giant was out of his sight, threw a cloak over the Pidgeot, and started for the cave entrance." Tense giggles fill the air as Brock plays a "sneaking" riff. "But he accidentally brushed a feather against the entryway--and the Pidgeot made so much noise, the giant came rushing back in seconds."

Gasps fill the auditorium over Brock's tense chord. "Kiran was afraid at first, but the giant said..." In a deeper version of himself, he intones "If you want my golden Pidgeot, bring to me the Sword of Magic Auras the forest wisps guard, and I will consider."

He sets the guitar aside and gets up. "Kitsune met Kiran on the forest path, and told him..." As Kitsune, he suggests "Te forest wisps are everywhere in te wood, but teir queen lives in a wood across the sea. I will transform inte a ship te take ye tere. Ye are te present yeself as a swordsmith--treat teir bledes well, and tey will troost you with te Sword of Magic Auras. Boot if te sheath touches even wan ting in te palace, terrible tings will happen."

"With that, they arrived on the coast, and Kitsune transformed herself into a ship." Brock then sings as Kitsune <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i> He continues as himself "Kiran sailed to the island wood, and everything happened as Kitsune said--he did so well polishing the various blades, that the wisp queen let him handle the Sword of Magic Auras. As he was taking it out of the palace, he tripped over a vine, making the sword fall to the floor."

"Luckily, the wisp queen was feeling merciful." Brock assures the audience before assuming a younger version of his "Kitsune" voice. "If ye want te Sword of Magic Auras, you must first trede us te shining Ponyta of the king of Fuyan."

As himself, he continues. "Kitsune met Kiran on the coast, and told him..." As Kitsune, he intones "Fuyan is fahr awey from here, so I will again transform into a ship te teke ye tere. Ye are te present yeself as a stable boy--treat te Ponytas and te Rapidashes well, and His Majesty will troost ye wit te shining Ponyta. Boot if even wan hair touches te stable..."

"Terrible things will happen." the audience repeats along with Brock.

Brock just grins. "Have you guys heard this one before?" he asks, to some laughter. "Kitsune transformed herself into a ship again..." He pauses to sing as Kitsune <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i> before continuing as himself. "When Kiran got to Fuyan, everything happened as Kitsune said--he took such good care of the Ponytas and Rapidashes, that the king finally trusted him with the shiny Ponyta. But as he was leading it out of the stables, he brushed against the entryway by mistake. The Ponyta made so much noise, that the king came rushing to the stables to see what was wrong.

He then assures the audience. "Luckily, the king was feeling merciful..." In an older version of himself, he intones "If you desire my shining Ponyta, bring to me the princess of Atalan."

"Kitsune met him on the road out of the capital city, and said to him..." As Kitsune, he intones "Someting must nut want ye te return te your homeland for so much misfartune te befall ye. Boot I will help ye all te same--I will transform myself inte a ship to take ye to Atalan, and run agraund on te coast. Ye are te tell te king of Atalan that ye ship has wrecked and ye are the sole survivor. Also tell him tat te king of Fuyan has offered help in exchange for te princess."

He continues as himself. "Kitsune transformed into a ship again..." Cheers go up as he again sings as Kitsune <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i> "and set off for Atalan. When she had run aground on the coast, Kiran told the court of Atalan the most heartwrenching rendition of the story Kitsune had told him to tell. The princess of Atalan--we'll call her Talia--couldn't bear to see anyone in need, and so agreed to help Kiran in return for becoming the wife of the king of Fuyan. But Princess Talia saw how kind and brave Kiran was, and loved him more than the king of Fuyan.

When they arrived in Fuyan, Kitsune transformed into Princess Talia..." He then sings a different song as Kitsune. <i>Imultao, ame no ga bakeno...</i>

As himself, he continues "The king of Fuyan fell madly in love with 'Talia', and eagerly gave Kiran the shining Ponyta. As Kiran led the shining Ponyta back to where the real Talia waited, the king of Fuyan was about to crown Kitsune when she revealed herself, and gave him a Fire Fang he never forgot!"

Laughter fills the air as the audience pictures the chaotic scene. "They then made their way back to the island woods, where Kitsune transformed into a shiny Ponyta." Brock then sings as Kitsune <i>Karuto, iichiida shou...</i>

The audience murmurs as Brock continues "The wisp queen was thrilled to see the 'Ponyta', and eagerly gave Kiran the Sword of Magic Auras. But when the wisps tried to ride Kitsune, it was a ride they never forgot!"

More laughter fills the air. "They then made their way to the giant's cave in the mountains, where Kitsune transformed herself into the sword." Brock then sings as Kitsune <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i>

Cheers go up at the gibberish song. "The giant was pleased to see the 'sword', and gave Kiran the golden Pidgeot." Brock continues. "But when he tried to wield it, Kitsune burnt him so badly that it took a long time to recover."

Laughter goes up at this. "It was only when Kiran arrived home did he discover Kitsune's warning was true--and that his stepmother was about to cast a dark spell on him." Brock continues. "But the Sword of Magic Auras protected him and the Pokemon, and after a long battle, Kiran emerged victorious!"

He concludes over the applause "Kiran and Talia were soon married, and they were revered throughout the kingdom. Kitsune received a special place on Kiran's court, for it was her cunning and magic power that guided him on many more adventures."

He smiles at the enthralled audience. "But that is another story for another day!"

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 37: The Rogue and the Trainer)

Week 37: The Rogue and the Trainer

(real tale: The Rogue and the Herdsman)

"In a far away land lived a man, his wife, and their only son named Jack." Brock begins. "Jack was renowned for not wanting to do any sort of work. In fact, he would leave their one Miltank to fend for itself, and spend the day dozing beneath a tree."

Outraged grumbling fills the air at the master storyteller's observation. "For a while, his dad put up with this, but when Jack came of age, he asked him to go out into the world and seek his fortune. So Jack gathered up his few belongings..." Brock pauses to sling a bag over his shoulder and pick up a long dowel, as if he is Jack preparing to leave. "and set out early the next morning."

He walks around the stage for a moment, then continues. "After walking down the road for a while, he came to a large house. It turned out he had arrived at the house of the chief royal Pokemon trainer. He felt sorry for the boy before him, and offered him shelter if he was willing to do his fair share of work. Jack readily agreed, figuring he could learn how to make a day's wage."

Giggles of anticipation go up as Brock organizes his props for a moment. "Jack's first chore was to look after a herd of Grumpigs. So after being shown the field where the herd was and being told to drive them to a valley overlooking the mountains, Jack got a better idea. He drove them to his parent's house, and needless to say, his dad was quite surprised to see his son home with a bunch of Grumpigs!" The audience laughs in agreement.

"Jack told his dad what had happened, and that he was having trouble doing the job himself." Brock continues. "He then requested that his dad kill the Grumpigs, and hang their meat out to dry." More laughter fills the air. "Jack's dad looked like he'd seen a Gastly, but Jack assured his dad that he had an idea. So the Grumpigs were slain, and their meat hung to dry. Jack took the tails, tied them to a rock in a nearby swamp, and submerged it."

Murmurs go up at this. "Jack told his master the most heart-wrenching tale he could about the herd being spooked by something, and despite his efforts to round them up, they all ran into the swamp and drowned, with only their tails sticking up." Brock explains. "The royal trainer didn't believe Jack at first, but when he went to the swamp, there were the tails, just as Jack said."

"No matter what sort of Pokemon he was told to watch, Jack would somehow 'lose' them." he goes on. "The royal Mareeps he claimed were lost in a tornado, leaving only the bells of the lead Flaaffy behind on a rock. The royal trainer naturally didn't believe him, but when he approached the rock, he heard the bells just as Jack had said."

He pauses to interject "In actuality, Jack and his family had killed and eaten the Mareeps for dinner."

Giggles go up at this. "The royal trainer decided to have Jack look after a small herd of Tauros, complete with the king's prized shiny Tauros." Brock continues. "But Jack managed to 'lose' them too--he claimed the Tauros had all disappeared into a hole. The royal trainer went to see for himself, and it was just as Jack had said."

"Did he figure out what Jack was really doing?" a boy asks.

"No, but the royal trainer knew something was up." Brock replies. "He led Jack to the forge the next day, and told him to make ten swords. Jack had no idea how to make a sword, much less wield one."

He then returns to his usual place at center stage. "He returned to his house, and told his parents that his master had promised him the princess if he could make ten swords for the guards. "Jack surprised his parents by putting in his fair share of the work, and it wasn't long before the ten swords were done." He pauses to swipe the air with prop sword for effect."

"The royal trainer was stunned that Jack had finished the ten swords so quickly, and told the king about how clever Jack was." Brock concludes. "The king was impressed, and offered Jack the princess' hand in marriage as thanks for the ten swords. Jack agreed, and served as the king's most trusted advisor for many years."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 38: The Brave Water Fairy)

Week 38: The Brave Water Fairy

(real tale: The Frog and the Lion Fairy)

"There was once a king in a far away land that always found himself at war." Brock begins. "The neighboring countries found this very odd--this king was kind, content with what lands he had, and not wanting to invade other lands. They concluded that maybe he had tried a bit too hard to please everyone."

He stops to interject "And you should know that if you try to please everyone, you usually end up pleasing no one."

The audience murmurs in agreement. "But I digress...every time this king prepared for a long siege, he would send his queen--who we'll call Maya, to a stone tower in a forest not far from the capital city." Brock explains. "Queen Maya wanted to go with her beloved into battle, but was refused. That meant she would cry for at least a day when she got there--there wasn't much to do inside, and she couldn't go out without at least two guards, as per her beloved's request."

He returns to his usual place at center stage, where his guitar is waiting. "Now, in her homeland, Queen Maya would go outside every day, which made it even more painful to be closed up in a tower." he continues as he begins a soft melody. "But as the weeks wore on and there appeared to be no sign of fighting in the capital, she grew bolder, and often went outside on her own." The song grows louder to emphasize his point, before it turns into a set of jigs.

Applause fills the air as the set ends. "Eventually, there came a point where no letters came from her beloved at all, and Queen Maya feared the worst." Brock continues. "She ordered her servants to build her a carriage just large enough to hold a single passenger. They were understandably concerned, but Queen Maya told them she only wanted to go hunting in the forest."

He then plays an exciting melody as an interlude. "One day, as Queen Maya and her retinue were chasing wild Tepigs in the forest, the Ponytas raced off down an unmarked path, away from the capital. In all the confusion, Queen Maya was thrown from her mount." He ends his set with a hard chord to represent Queen Maya landing on the ground.

Fearful murmurs race through the crowd. "When Queen Maya came to some minutes later, she saw a tan skinned girl wearing a red tunic, with glowing mythril chain underneath. Some tan leggings complemented this, so you couldn't tell if it was clothing or if it was skin. Red shoes were on her feet, a rapier was at her side, and a bow and some arrows were on her back. But what was most striking about the girl were the sparkling red wings of flame that allowed her to hover before the frightened queen."

Some oohs and ahs fill the air as the audience pictures what the fire fairy looks like. "Queen Maya knew well stories of the fey--elemental spirits that watched over the world. If you saw one, it was best to do what it wished, for better or for worse. But before she could ask the fire fairy her name, she cast a spell..." He pauses to sing <i>Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...</i> "and transformed into an Entei."

Awed murmurs race through the crowd as Brock plays a majestic melody. "Queen Maya was awed to see the Beast of flame, and decided to follow it. They finally came to a cave deep beneath the earth, where Queen Maya saw a great stone castle that occasionally glowed red with lava, with a moat of lava surrounding it. Not surprisingly, there were many fire Pokemon romping about."

Giggles go up from the children in the audience as Brock starts his rendition of the Hyrule Castle theme. "The fire fairy introduced herself as Leona, and asked her to build herself a house out of the stones in the cave--for she was going to be there a while."

The nervous giggles turn to gasps. "Queen Maya begged Leona to return her to the forest, but Leona told her that if it hadn't been for her finding her back in the forest, she'd be dead. That, and she figured Queen Maya would be of use to her." He plays a tense chord for effect. "Leona asked Queen Maya to make her a honey cake--but how was Queen Maia going to get any honey with no Beedrills to be found?"

"So what did Queen Maya do?" a woman asks.

"She waited until Leona had left her, then poured her heart out to Arceus about her misfortune." Brock replies. "As she cried, she heard a Murkrow off in the distance..." A sound effect of a Murkrow's caw from a distance plays at this. "She looked to see where the Murkrow was coming from, and when it came into view, she saw it clutched a Lotad in its talons. Inspired, the queen shot an arrow into the Murkrow's leg, causing it to drop the Lotad."

The audience waits to hear the Lotad's fate. "Queen Maya went to see if the Lotad was all right, but when she examined the tiny Pokemon, it transformed into a water fairy." Brock continues, playing a soft harmonic chord to mimic a transformation. "The fairy introduced herself as Shaila, and asked Queen Maya what she was doing there in the cave. Queen Maya told Shaila her story, and asked her how she could escape. Shaila explained that the fire Pokemon had once been humans themselves, but they had angered Leona in some way, and so she had enslaved them as one of her pets."

Fearful murmurs raced through the crowd. "Then Queen Maya asked Shaila what she was doing in a fire fairy's realm. Shaila explained she was on a mission to save all the people Leona had enslaved, but she had to disguise herself as a Pokemon for her safety, since fire fears water. She thanked Queen Maya for saving her, and told her she would do what she could to help her in return."

Nervous laughter fills the air at this. "Queen Maya told Shaila that Leona had asked her for a honey cake, but how was she to get honey when there were no Beedrills anywhere?" Brock explains. "So Shaila cast a spell of her own..." He then sings <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i> "...and conjured more honey than Queen Maya knew what to do with. Leona was pleased when Queen Maya brought her the honey cake, and granted her some land as a reward."

He plays a sad interlude. "Queen Maya, with Shaila's help, built herself a house of stone and filled it with herbs to remind her of the surface. A few years went by, and during that time, a little princess was born." Some "aw"s fill the air at this. "Queen Maya named her Brenna, in honor of her fairy guardian that ruled over water."

Murmurs go up as the audience debates whether Queen Maya and Princess Brenna will ever see the surface. "Princess Brenna grew up to be a kind and brave young lady, but deep down, Queen Maya wondered what had become of her beloved and her homeland." Brock goes on over a calm interlude. "So one day, she wrote a letter to her beloved explaining what had happened over seven years, and gave it to Shaila, telling her to fly as fast as she could."

He then plays a "flying" melody. "Shaila flew to the kingdom as fast as she could, and got there hours before the king was to remarry." A tense chord goes up. "The king turned white as a Gastly when he read the letter, called off the wedding, and followed Shaila to the underground cave. On the way, Shaila summoned an army of water Pokemon to protect them in case Leona attacked them." He sings again <i>Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...</i>

Cheers fill the air as Brock starts to play the Zelda theme. "Sure enough, Leona was waiting for them, and a great battle ensued." After playing the song for a while, he interjects "I'm pretty sure you know who won the battle, right?" The audience roars in reply.

He concludes over a triumphant interlude. "With Leona defeated, the fire Pokemon she kept returned to their human forms, and they were soon reunited with their families. But the biggest welcome was for Queen Maya and Princess Brenna, who never forgot the brave water fairy that protected them in their hour of need."

With that, he sets his guitar aside and takes a bow as thunderous applause fills the air...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 39: The Lucky Warrior)

Week 39: The Lucky Warrior

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan", episode 19, story 3)

"Once there was a boy so poor, he had to travel from town to town in search of work." Brock begins. "We'll call him Kaoru. Kaoru would stay in one town helping out those that needed a hand, and when there was no work left to do, he would move on to another town. This often meant that he didn't have a chance for a decent meal."

Murmurs waft through the crowd. "One day, he stopped to rest by a river that overlooked a town." Brock continues. "As he rested from his long journey, he suddenly saw a warrior's sword and clothing floating in the water." A spotlight appears on a prop sword in its sheath and a regal red tunic and other swordsman garb at Brock's feet. "He didn't know who the clothes and the sword belonged to, but he figured that if people thought him a warrior, he might have a chance at a well paying job. So he put them on, and headed into town.

The lights go down for a moment, buying Brock some time to change into the costume. When they come up again, he is wearing the warrior garb, and the sword is at his side. "Needless to say, the townsfolk really did believe Kaoru was a wandering warrior, giving him a morale boost. As he strolled through town, he passed by a dojo for warriors, where he could hear the cries of the fights in progress and clangs of weapons.

The master of the dojo saw Kaoru looking inside, and believing him to be a real warrior, invited him to spar with one of his students." Brock explains, rearing back in feigned fear over the imagined question. "Kaoru had no idea how to wield a sword, but at the same time, he figured he could learn, and possibly gain a steady job. He accepted the master's offer, and went inside."

The audience whispers about what will happen to Kaoru when his ruse is exposed. "Amazingly, the students were awed at the determined look in Kaoru's eyes..." Brock draws the sword for effect. "and many of them deferred the match to him, they were so afraid. The dojo master was impressed by Kaoru's supposed skill and gave him a job as a teacher of swordplay."

He sheathes his blade and continues. "Kaoru enjoyed his new job at first, and eventually, the dojo master's daughter--who we'll call Inari--fell in love with him."

The "Aw"s are silenced as Brock interjects. "However, the dojo master's top student--we'll call him Nori--had also grown fond of Inari, and was very jealous of Kaoru--he knew something wasn't right about Kaoru, but he had to figure out what."

Nervous giggles fill the air at this. "So the next day, Nori gave Kaoru a bow, and challenged him to hit a Pidgey in a tree..." He pauses to pick up a bow lying nearby. "sitting 500 feet away, with only a single arrow." He shows the audience an arrow for effect. "Kaoru had no idea how to wield a bow, either..." he explains as he readies his single shot to hit a concealed target on the other end of the stage. "but he took his one shot anyway."

The whistle of the arrow being shot echoes through the auditorium, but the audience applauds when they see Brock was very close to hitting the target's bullseye. "By sheer luck, Kaoru's shot hit the Pidgey." Brock explains as he sets the bow aside. "The students were amazed, and begged Kaoru to teach them how to use a bow. Kaoru wasn't sure what to make of all the attention, and frequently tried to avoid his newfound fans."

Laughter fills the air at this. "Nori, meanwhile, was determined to expose Kaoru as a fraud. So the next day, while all the students were at a lake, Nori gave Kaoru a spear..." Brock pauses to pick up a prop spear. "and challenged him to hit one of the Duckletts in the water."

He then asks "Do you think Kaoru knew how to wield a spear at all?"

"No"s waft through the air in reply. "Kaoru decided he would try anyway." Brock replies. "But as he was aiming his one throw, he tripped on a rock..." Giggles fill the air as Brock feigns tripping over something. "and the spear went flying, skewering not one, but four Ducketts by sheer luck."

He concludes "Nori was stunned, but Inari was even more impressed. It wasn't long before they were married, and Kaoru spent his days learning how to wield swords, bows, spears and many other weapons in between going on many adventures--but that is another story for another day!"

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Week 40: Kanagi and Yinagi)

Week 40: Kanagi and Yinagi

(real tale: Gold Tree and Silver Tree)

"You know, this has really been a banner year for the classic story of 'Snow White'." Brock begins. "Two new movies--it's definitely not your grandma's 'Snow White' when the dwarves are ninjas." he adds as an aside, making laughter go up in agreement. "Plus, this year also marks the 75th anniversary of the Disney masterpiece..." Thunderous applause goes up at this. "which in turn gave the world the animated movie." he adds, making the applause even louder. The enthusiastic cheers nearly drown out his guitar as Brock begins a solo rendition of--what else? "Someday My Prince Will Come"

He stops the song as the applause quiets down. "So to add my two credits to the festivities, the story I want to tell this week is an interesting variant of "Snow White" from Johto I learned in Mahogany Town once that, oddly enough, doesn't feature any dwarves."

With that, he begins his tale over "Someday My Prince Will Come". "In a far away land, a little princess was born to a king and his queen. They named her Kanagi, which means 'gold tree'. "The queen, who was named Yinagi, or 'silver tree', was very beautiful, but as Kanagi grew up, many in the kingdom said she would be as beautiful, or more, than Yinagi."

"Someday My Prince Will Come" begins to transform into a tense melody. "One day, Yinagi went to the wishing well on the castle grounds, where a Goldeen said to have magical powers lived." Brock explains as he plays. "She called down to the Goldeen..." In character as a young lady, he asks "Tell me, little Goldeen, who is the prettiest lady you have seen?"

"Why, Kanagi is the most beautiful lady I have seen." he replies in character as a young girl.

A tense chord quiets the laughter. "When Yinagi heard this, she was simply furious--she couldn't bear to have someone else be more beautiful than her." Brock explains as himself. "When the king found Yinagi crying in her room that night and asked what was wrong, Yinagi demanded that Kanagi be killed, and her heart brought to her as proof."

Gasps go up at this. "The king feared for Kanagi, but then he remembered that a prince from a neighboring country--we'll call him Daiki--had come to ask Kanagi's hand in marriage." Brock continues, playing a few bars of "Someday My Prince Will Come" to herald the prince's appearance in the story. "Kanagi loved Daiki very much, so after a quiet ceremony and seeing Kanagi off to her beloved's homeland, the king saved a Mareep's heart from the wedding sacrifices to Arceus, and gave that to Yinagi instead."

"A few months later, Yinagi returned to the well and asked the Goldeen again..." As Yinagi, Brock intones "Tell me, little Goldeen, who is the prettiest lady you have seen?"

"Why, Kanagi is the most beautiful lady I have seen." he replies as the Goldeen. "She lives still in another land, for it is the the heart of a Mareep you hold in your hand."

Some "Ooh"s go up over the guitar's tense riff. "Needless to say, Yinagi was furious, and demanded to know why the king had not done as she asked. The king replied that he loved Kanagi, and couldn't bring himself to kill his own daughter." Brock continues. "So the queen traveled to Daiki's country, taking along an enchanted needle that would send whatever it pricked into a coma."

"Meanwhile, Kanagi feared that her mother would still try to kill her." Brock stops the tense riff he is playing for a moment. "So Daiki ordered the lookouts at the castle gates to be on the lookout for Yinagi. They didn't count on Yinagi to come in disguise."

He continues "Kanagi ran to meet her disguised mother, but as she placed her hand in Yinagi's, Yinagi pricked Kanagi with the needle." He plays a hard chord to symbolize the needle's prick. "Daiki, thinking that Kanagi had died, lay her in a coffin of gold and jewels with a glass top. This way, he would always be able to see his beloved."

The audience is on the edge of their seats, eager to know if and how Kanagi will wake up. "But when the royal priest came to prepare the body for burial after three days of mourning, he saw something glinting in Kanagi's hand--the needle." Brock explains. "When he took it out, Kanagi woke up, unharmed."

A fearful chord signals the story is not over yet. "A few weeks went by, and Yinagi asked the Goldeen again..." Brock switches to his Yinagi persona again. "Tell me, little Goldeen, who is the prettiest lady you have seen?"

"Why, Kanagi is the most beautiful lady I have seen." he replies as the Goldeen.

Laughter goes up at Brock's pained face, as if he is Yinagi reacting to the bad news. "So Yinagi spiked some wine with poison, and sailed to Daiki's country again. Kanagi saw the ship approaching, and told Daiki to hold a banquet to welcome Yinagi. Yinagi was welcomed with great fanfare, but Daiki secretly switched the poisoned chalice meant for Kanagi with the normal chalice meant for Yinagi, killing Yinagi with her own poison."

He concludes "Kanagi and Daiki never had to worry about Yinagi again, and they lived happily ever after." He plays a final harmonic flourish to signal the story's end.

The crowd roars as Brock sets his guitar aside and takes a bow......
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 20th August 2012 at 05:28 PM.

*appauds* Pretty good! You know, up until the ending with the goblets, I thought 'Hey! This sounds like Snow White!' then at the ending, I thought, '...and we've suddenly moved into a scene from The Princess Bride?'

Blog Entries

The real tale is actually a Snow White variant from Scotland

Blog Entries

Default Re: Live From the Fireside: Season 2 (Interlude 10: Meet the Instruments)

Interlude 10: Meet the Instruments

Brock smiles at the camera filming his preparation as he tunes his guitar. "Hi there...longtime viewers will know that music is a crucial part of every show." he explains. "In addition to our amazing house band, the Firelights, I've also got a fine collection of instruments myself...so on this week's 'Backstage Diary', I'll show you some of the commonly used instruments I play on the show, plus some of my special ones."

He pauses to bring a slightly flat D string into tune before continuing. "Of course, like any guitar player knows, before you play, you have to tune up...so I'm getting into tune here before we start rehearsal. I probably spend....about a year tuning." he jokes as he finishes tuning the high E string.

A smile forms on his face as he savors his first chord of the day--an E. "Ah...nothing like a nice and slow chord that's in tune."

In the next scene, Brock is wailing away on a harmonica in time to a shuffle groove coming from a nearby radio. When he finishes his jam, he addresses the audience. "In case you're curious about just what that instrument was that I used in our cover of 'Long Train Running', it was a harmonica. This isn't the same one I used, though..." he confesses as he shows the tiny instrument to the camera. "This is just your standard issue ten hole diatonic in C, but I have some other ones in different keys too." With that, he plays a soft chord as the scene fades out.

The scene fades to show Brock running through the tune "The Road to Canalave" on a silver whistle with a black mouthpiece. "Here we have the Pokeflute's little brother--a whistle. In fact, many of you can attest to playing this in school--and I was no different. Didn't really like it at the time, but traveling with Ash and hearing him play every night inspired me to pick it up again. So if you're watching this, Ash...this is for you." With that, he begins his own rendition of Ash's signature tune--"The Meowth's Call" as the scene fades out.

A harp chord begins the next segment, which fades in on Brock, who proceeds to play a few exercises around the C major scale on his minstrel's harp before addressing the camera. "Next on the agenda for rehearsal today is a sketch starring my minstrel character Flynn Devine--and that means time to get out the harp."

"Don't forget the minor scales, either!" Akane reminds him from offscreen.

Brock just continues to talk. "I'll also use this for my Gekijou minstrel Kashu, or if I just need a break during rehearsals. Harps have long been associated with magic and healing, so if I'm having a bad day, this usually helps me feel better. But the best part is watching kids' faces light up when I appear as Flynn Devine or Kashu--cause they know that a tale of wonder is soon to follow!" With that, he proceeds to play a few exercises around the A minor scale before the scene fades out to end the viginette.
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 22nd August 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast