The Eye's Game - a tale of Middle Earth

Thread: The Eye's Game - a tale of Middle Earth

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default The Eye's Game - a tale of Middle Earth

Just a crazy Sauron monologue of mine :)

The Eye's Game, a tale of Middle Earth

"Then go find it." My hollow voice echoes in the empty hall as the door crashes. They have left to recover a trinket, I instructed them to tell.

My move is made. They will ride out, lead their armies. Cross the great river. The ball has rolled, it is now in the hand of my rivals, my enemies.

They are good enemies, to have held against me for so long. I see them all, The Brown, consorting with beast. He is a wise player, remaining too far for his hand to be seen visibly…but those eagles did not fly to the Lonely mountain of their own free will. No, there was a hand behind them, a skilled player.

The white, who would have been most menacing to me…had he not been so proud. Now, I have turned him – he is still dangerous to me, but even more so to those whom he once called friends. The grey will ride toward him. It is the only move he can do.

Galadriel. She is much like me. Ambitious, with a burning hearth…I was once like that, before my heart became consumed with one thought.

The wise would tell you this thought is a desire for dominion. Or they would tell you that all I want is my ring.

The prize of the game we are playing is dominion, it is true. But that is not why I go on. The ring, I desire, it is true. But it is only a mean to an end.

Now I go on for only one reason.

The game.

It is no longer a war of dominion, a quest for power. I have long ceased playing the game for what it may reward me with. I do not want to win for the sake of what is at stake.

I desire to win simply because I enjoy the game. We move all our pieces, but in the end, the ultimate fate of this world is already written, sung long ago by the creator. There is no everlasting dominion even for me, only the game, now.

It is a game of deception, as when I convinced Celebrimbor to make the rings, and forged the one in the depths of my mountain. A game of armies, as those that fought on the slopes of Orodruin and at the gates of Mordor, so long ago. A game of words, and a game of the mind.

It is my game.

And yet...

I have been defeated, have I not? Those are painful memories...the blind luck that turned on me, as a wrong roll of a die in so many game. Isildur should never have suceeded where he did, yet somehow he took my ring. There is luck in every game, and in this one, it turned against me on that day.

But when I recover it, I need no longer worry about luck.

The ruling ring. My first and foremost key in the game we are playing.

And now, where has it gone? Isildur died to my orcs in the vales of the Anduin, yet those clumsy brutes, barely suitable for their purpose of war, pawns of little importance and less intelligence, never recovered my most precious property. A slimy creatures, a worthless rat, took it instead.

And now, another of those little thieves own the ring. Baggins. The Shire. I have sent them, all nine, most powerful of my servants, and they will take it back to me. They will find the ring, kill the one who carries it...and take it back to me. Or they would if I played alone. But then, there would be no entertainment. The sage will almost certainly think of a way to counter me…but then I will counter them. And in the end, I will recover my ring.

And once it is back to me, there will be no force to stop me in all of middle Earth. The ring has power beyond any they could imagine, powers none of these so-called sage could ever stand against. They will not die, for they have been worthy opponents. No, they will live, in the hope that one day they will be given a chance to clear the board…

To start the game anew.

But first, I will win this game. It is close to me. All I need is to recover my long-lost ring, the foremost of my piece in this great game.

My precious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Lord Of The Rings!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm just obsessed with Lord Of The Rings at the moment.

This was excellent, Damian!
    It was a great insight into what Sauron was most likely thinking during The Fellowship Of The Ring.

It was nice to see the story from his perspective considering we get everyone's opinion about the goings on in Middle Earth except his.

And I love how you finished it off with a "my precious".
    Really cool. :)

"Kiss My Ash!" - me
    I am a proud defender of Ash.
    Why?
    Because he is such a cutie!
    Member of the OPS and proud supporter of Pokeshipping
    Check out my fanfiction

Blog Entries

Glad you liked it Togepretty! :)

And yeah, it'S a shame Sauron get 0 character other than "big bad vilain. The end." in Tolkien's writing. (Then again, character development is not a strong point of Tolkien.)

I might tackle the other key vilain of the story one of these day - The One Ring. Now that would be a challenge, writing the story from the point of view of the ring...
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Ooo... this is nice. I also never got a sense of Sauron's character besides him being some satanic, ominous figure in the background, and this gives him a bit of characterization... never heard of a Sauron monologue before, you handled it well. Most of the sentences are fragments or straight to the point, which fits with Sauron as being this to-the-point kind of mysterious presence... he doesn't need to talk a whole lot. Like the ending, too... "my precious". X3

anonym0usie

Okay B - since you keep on bugging me to read and reply to something of yours, I figured this would be a good place to start since I luff my Tolkien! I like this view of Sauron except for the fact that it seems to undercut the importance of the Lord of the Rings' urgency and stuff. I believe you left out Elrond, who holds a ring himself, if I am not mistaken. Should have probably mentioned Denethor (was that his name? the Steward of Gondor...) as well. All in all, interesting view but I don't buy it. xP

Blog Entries

Yeah, well. They were left out because Sauron thought of Galadriel and his "much like I once was" line before anything else, and that lead to the REST of the story ;).

I know perfectly well Elrond and possibly Denethor should be on this list.
    Sooooo...watch out!

polyethylene

I've read it before, of course, but I suppose 'tis good etiquette to respond.

Of course, it is brilliant. Your's always is. You still have to watch out for your plurals though, even though I didn't pick up many (one, I think... I'm not awake though).

You're better at that now, :)

so sell your suit and tie and come and live with me
    leukemia schizophrenia polyethylene
    there is no significant risk to your health
    she used to be beautiful once as well

plastic bag, middle class, polyethylene
    decaffeinate, unleaded, keep all surfaces clean
    if you don't believe this, sell your soul
    if you don't get into it, no one will

The Astute cynic

*replies*
    I suppose i need to type out more than just that one action :-P.

I've read it before, but you seem to have rewritten it. THe first one just focused on the game if i remember. You added in the Unfinished Tales perspective sometime later I suppose. It also requires the presence of his first master :-P. you know who I speak of ^_~.

On an Unexpected Journey Rocky Cliffs's Avatar

This is VERY good work. I also did not like Sauron never being seen except for his one eye. I find your take on Sauron interesting. I like the idea of Sauron being a noble villian fascinating. Nowadays, in the TV shows and movies and books that abound everywhere, the "bad guys" never have any redeeming qualities. This is a blanket statement, and there are exceptions, but for the most part, villians are villians, heroes are heroes. What made me think of this was your line: "They will not die, for they have been worthy opponents."

I really can't think of any other villians I know of who could say the same thing.

~Rocky Cliffs
    Soon to come: Sweet-Ash Banner, Clubs and Shipping!

Unexpected Journey: Prologue
    Unexpected Journey: Kanto

Originally posted by Pika-Zukin
    --Rocky "he's my new hero" Cliffs
    Originally posted by FireStinger_Kasumi
    Pokemon airs once a week in japan, makes you wonder what they do on all the other days of the week.