-Captured-

Thread: -Captured-

Default -Captured-

Here's my most recent short story. It's gotten mixed reviews.

-Captured-
    A Sentret's Tale

Danger was just about the last thing on my happy mind that fine autumn day. My spirits soared as high as the Pidgeot that danced among the fluffy white clouds overhead. It was one of the finest summer days I had ever lived to see.

The sun shimmered with all of its might overhead, illuminating the sapphire midday sky. There were a few clouds scattered overhead that constantly changed due to the light, refreshing breeze that swayed the tall, yellow-green grasses and colorful wildflowers through which I ran.

I shoved a few tufts of the tall grass out of my way and perched myself atop a flat, grey stone up ahead. Balancing atop my large tail to see over the tall grass, I peered around the grassy plain using my cupped paw as a shield from the sun. Fruit trees- I needed fruit trees. Off in the distance, roughly one hundred yards to the west of me was a small patch of scrubby apple trees, upon whose branches was a supply of ripe red Macintosh apples.

I licked my lips and salivated fro a second. Mm, I hadn't eaten in a while…

I shook off my hunger however. Those apples weren't for me- there were others in our Sentret colony who needed them more then I do. It was in these early autumn days, when all of the ripe fruit had been picked by the humans, that the Pokèmon of the fields went hungry. Due to a recent Linoone invasion, our store of food was running dry. The very old and very young were growing weak, so it was up to us, the healthy Sentret, to supply them with the nutrition needed to survive.

I hopped off of my tail and sat down on the stone for a minute, brushing off some of the dust from my dark brown coat and white belly. The sun was getting hot now, but it may just have been my fur. Whatever it was, though, I had to press on. To come back empty handed would be shameful. Giving up on helping others was one of the worst things one could do in our colony.

I leaned back for a minute or so, staring up at the position of the sun. It was as high in the sky as it was possible to get, so it was obviously noon. That was a good thing for me. I had been told that noon was the best time of day to go gather food, because humans were usually too busy eating to try to kidnap Pokèmon.

I shuddered as I landed on the ground from sliding off the rock. That was every young Pokèmon's worst fear- to be kidnapped by a human. I had heard stories from escaped Pokèmon, and they were enough to send chills down any Sentret's spine.

First, they find you, usually when you're minding your own business. They sneak up on you, and force one of their Pokèmon to attack you. You have the option to run, but let's face it- trained Pokèmon are fast. Anyway, eventually, you're forced to fight. There's no way you can win- it's said that trainers carry an endless supply of Pokèmon slaves. If one of their Pokèmon falls, they return it into a ball where it'll probably be cooped up for hours, and then they send another Pokèmon in to fight you. They wear you down, and when you finally fall, they throw a Pokéball at you and you're forced inside. From there, you're forced to do whatever they want for life, until you escape or are released. The most sickening part of it is that once you spend too much time with a trainer, it's like some sort of magic spell falls over you. You start to develop a sort of bond, like a friendship, that makes you want to be enslaved by them. Only the strong-willed Pokèmon can break those binds and be able to escape. It was a horrible thing for us Pokèmon, and the worst part of it was that Pokèmon trainers think that as long as they're nice to you and treat you with compassion, love, and care, that they're doing no wrong. But no amount of so-called compassion can take away the hurt of being separated from loved ones and forced to fight on command.

So that was what I had to worry about. That was why I hated humans.

I continued on my way west towards the trees, trying to be on my toes for trainers. While on most terrains I'd be doomed to see a trainer, in the tall grass, I could escape because of my small size and agility.

It took about ten more minutes of trotting for me to find a place where the grasses grew short, and the trees towered a few yards above me. There were three trees in the clearing- one near the grass a few feet away from me, and two in the center. They all had fruit on them, but only the one closest to me was safe to climb, for leaning up against the two trees in the middle were two trainers.

They were both young looking- probably new to training. They had most likely come from Cherrygrove City to the south of here, like most trainers did. One of them had his head faced towards the sky with his eyes closed. He had spiky, light brown hair worn under a blue, backwards baseball cap. He was wearing a blue jacket that came down so low he was partially sitting on it, and faded, dusty black pants with ratty old sneakers. His companion was a girl of the same age, with carnation pink hair that she wore in a low ponytail. She was sitting up against the other side of the tree, and was hugging her legs to her body with one hand and holding a paperback novel with the other. She was wearing a black, short-sleeved shirt with tan khaki shorts and red sneakers. Brushing up against her leg was a small, navy-blue Pokèmon with an off-white belly and a long snout. On it's broad back were some red and orange spots, and the little creature was walking on all four of its stubby legs. Cyndaquil, I remembered.

I decided to ignore them for now, and just snag the fruit on the tree that I could get to without being seen. Sack in hand, I slowly inched up the sturdy trunk of the tree, my sharp eyes focused on the nearest piece of fruit. Once I had made it onto one of the boughs of the tree, I twisted the fruit off of the branch and carefully and quietly dropped it in my bad.

"Hey, Trish."

I jumped. The male trainer had spoken. Had he seen me?

"Trish?" he repeated.

The girl scowled and I heard the small thud of her slamming her novel shut. There were shuffling noises that obviously indicated that she was putting her novel away into some sort of backpack. "What?" she whined in an annoying high voice.

"When are we gonna get going? I'm tired of just sitting here." At that I sighed quietly. Okay, so I hadn't been seen. Slowly, I turned to watch the trainers.

The boy was slowly standing up to stretch his limbs, but the girl was still sitting down, and now taking a sip out of a bottle of water. Cyndaquil had now moved away from the girl and was eating the remains of an apple that had fallen from a tree, and seemed to find great joy in doing so.

As I was watching this, I didn't notice that an apple had been loose and was near to falling. I did, however, notice it when the apple fell on my head and caused me to stumble off of the branch and fall out of the tree and onto the dusty ground at the feet of the boy.

I could hear the slight pounding of his feet stumbling backwards, probably in surprise.

"Hey!" he exclaimed. "It's a Sentret!"

I slowly struggled to my two feet and looked up at him. He had a look of determination in his cloudy grey eyes as he stood in a dorky position, with his arm outstretched in front of him, and his hand clutching a small white ball with a red-painted top.

"Trish, stay back," he said.

It was only then that his companion Trish looked up from stoking her Cyndaquil. "Oh wow, A Sentret!" she exclaimed, her blue eyes sparkling. "I've always wanted one! Let me take it!"

"No way," the boy said quickly, turning towards Trish. "You caught that Pidgey on the route here! This one's mine for sure."

I gasped in horror. It was only then that I realized that this trainer was intent on capturing me. I spun around quickly and turned tail to run towards the grass. Milliseconds later, the boy saw me and gasped. "Hey, wait a minute! You're not gone get away that easily!"

I saw him toss the ball out of the corner of my eye. A small yellow Pokèmon appeared on the ground in front of the boy. It stood on all fours and on it's head was a large green leaf. Around it's neck were what looked sort of like the green beads of a choker necklace. A Chikorita, I remembered.

"Chikorita, use Vine Whip to hold that little Sentret in place!" he commanded. I was almost inside the safety of the tall grass when I felt what seemed like two strong ropes grab me around the chest and pull me back. I struggled and fussed and grunted in attempt to break out of my binds, but nothing worked. I was placed back on the ground in front of the Chikorita and the boy.

"Okay," the boy said. "Now that we know there'll be no more escape attempts, let's begin! Chikorita, attack it with your Razor Leaf!"

Chikorita spun the leaf on its head in a circular motion to create a wind so strong that the leaves came off the trees and spun into me with the force of spinning blades. I cried aloud as the leaved struck me all over, but I was held too tight to move.

After a minute of abuse, the volley stopped, and there was a brief silence. "Now," the boy said, "Hold it in place and it with a ramming tackle attack!"

I smirked. That was a bad move on his account. Now I could fight back. The Chikorita dashed towards me, gathering speed with every step. I was poised now, ready to strike it, and when the Pokèmon came into range, I dealt it a heavy blow to the head with my gigantic tail. The Pokèmon instantly let go of my and flew backwards, falling onto the dusty ground and skidding in front of the feet of the boy. I was about to run, but I then realized I was too tired to run yet, as I was out of breath.

The boy dropped to his knees in front of his Pokèmon and picked it up tenderly. "Buddy…" he said compassionately, cradling the creature in his. "It's okay… you don't have to fight anymore… take a nice long rest now. He fished the red and white ball out of his pocket, pressed a grey button on the front, and the ball opened. The Chikorita disappeared in a flash of red light.

He stepped backwards and sat down at the foot of the tree.

"Okay, you take this one too…" he said as his head hung low in defeat.

"My pleasure," the girl said, standing up. She advanced slowly towards the place where the boy had been standing. She smirked impishly and put her hand on her hip. "Jake may have failed at catching you, but I sure won't! Cyndaquil, go get her!"

Cyndaquil, who had been lounging beside the tree, perked up at the sound of it's name and then bounded across the clearing towards me, kicking up dust as it went. It stopped in roughly the same place where Chikorita had been at the beginning of our match and stood in a battle-ready position on all fours. A small fire flared up from the red spots on it's wide back, much to my surprise.

I bit my fuzzy lip. Cyndaquil looked a lot tougher then Chikorita. There was no way I could defeat it in a match. I knew what I had to do: run for my life.

I spun around again, dropped on all fours, and scurried towards the tall grass as fast as my tiny legs would carry me. I had to make it. Otherwise…
    I heard the girl scowl. "Not again! Okay Cyndaquil, stop it with am ember attack!"

I would have jumped out of the way to dodge, but I was too slow. I felt a small flame char my back, and hot pain shot all throughout my body. I was sent flying, and then falling fast, until I hit the ground hard. I forced my eyes open to check my position. I had fallen mere inches away from the tall grass, and safety. Maybe I could still make it…

My two from paws attempted to heave my injured body upright, but I was much too weak- my body felt like it must have weighed at least 200 pounds. My paws felt frail, and when I tried to heave myself up, I collapsed again, and specs up dirt went flying into the air.

The girl whooped. "Yippie! Awesome job, Cyndaquil! Rock on!"

"Quil," the Pokèmon chirped proudly.

"Alright," the girl said. "Now I'll catch you! Pokéball, GO!"

I cried out one last time, in attempt to beg for mercy- but it was useless. The ball hit me in the back where the burn had been.

Suddenly, I felt coldness spread throughout my body. From the tips of my paws to the top of my long ears, I was freezing all over. My head felt like it did when I drank too much cold water way too fast- like it was frozen. I heard a loud, high buzz ringing through my ears, and saw that my fur was slowly tinting to a reddish color. The process seemed to last ages, until finally, I felt as if a giant vacuum was sucking me up.

And then, I appeared in darkness. It was completely dark wherever I was, and I felt as if I was rolled into a Defense Curl, but not like normally. It felt like I was being forced into the curl- being bound to stay in this uncomfortable position, but there was no pain on my spine. I fought it for a couple of seconds. I tried to break those horrid binds that held me into place, but it was no use. I was too injured from the battle. After a minute, my entire body felt entirely paralyzed. There was a sound in the distance the sounded like a click of some sort, and then there were voices.

"Yeah!" in the distance, I heard the muffled voice of the female trainer, Trish. "I caught Sentret!"

…so it's true, I thought. I've been captured… enslaved… by a human. But what will become of me? And what will become of my family, and friends, who need me to find food? Are they going to go hungry for one more day? Those horrible humans… capturing me when my family needed me most!

I wanted to cry- I wanted to let it all out, about my failure to save my colony from starving, but it seemed I was void of tears.

It wad then that I gave up. Submitted. There was no point in living. I had failed.

No, there isn't any more. That's the end. I've been annoyed endlessly by those who read it asking my to continue, and one little twit decided he'd cuss at me and continut it himself. If you do without me knowing... I'll hunt you down. >=D

So don't. Anyway, those of you who aren't grinding your teeth and cussing at me for being a cruel and horrible author, tell me what you thought. ^___^

-Lakayal
    Everybody knows it.
    Everybody knows it.
    you gotta do the best you can,
    and work out twice a day!
    Don't ask me why I said it,
    because I already forgot.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The part about it trying to save its family was interesting, but at least on the show I just can't see a case for Pokémon captures being cruel. In the games perhaps (you never specified which version you were using), but on the show, the majority of Pokémon seem to enjoy the company of humans.

And we must always go by the games and anime, eh? Of course Pokemon LIVE to be captured, they enjoy having the crap beat out of them against their will. Anyway, I enjoyed the description of Sentret being captured. The concept of a Pokemon's pov of being captured isn't original itself, but the way you executed it is. Good job.
    Who's always giving Katelyn a hand?

In the games perhaps (you never specified which version you were using), but on the show, the majority of Pokémon seem to enjoy the company of humans.
    I don't really give a care about the show, because I don't follow the show. I like to base every story around the video games...

but at least on the show I just can't see a case for Pokémon captures being cruel.
    It would be a bad move for the people who make the show have Ash be the type of person who catches Pokemon against thier will. He wouldn't be as appealing to younger audiences.

...and Iveechan, thanks for your praise. I know, it isn't entirely original, but I just wanted to write a situation of your average journey fic Pokemon capture from the POV of the Pokemon. ^___^;

-Lakayal
    Everybody knows it.
    Everybody knows it.
    you gotta do the best you can,
    and work out twice a day!
    Don't ask me why I said it,
    because I already forgot.