EVERYONE: Board Games with a Pokemon (One-Shot)

Thread: Board Games with a Pokemon (One-Shot)

Blog Entries

Default Board Games with a Pokemon (One-Shot)

This is a one-shot that kinda hit me while checking out LightningTopaz's weekly prompt thread.

Its a really light-hearted one-shot. It's not really intended to make you cry or think, just small piece of work that (I hope) is fun to read was really fun to write. I know it may not make that much sense but it's just a short piece of fun.

I also wanna thank LightningTopaz for the amazing prompt that she gave in her weekly prompt thread that made this idea happen. Even though that she doesn't get the most reception from the writers, she keeps going on. So, a big thanks to ya, Lightning Topaz. I also suggest that you visit her thread if you like this, because the guy (ahem, girl) is a great idea goldmine.

Enjoy!

Board Games with a Pokemon

Justin paced his room wearily, taking three steps then turning around to start over. As if the tedious activity would help relieve his boredom. His Vulpix, nicknamed Mika, stared at her human pace with small red eyes, as she lay down on Justin’s bed.

Justin stopped abruptly, ruffled his blonde hair angrily and sighed. It seems he would have to come up with something to do. He sat down on his bed and began contemplating his choices silently while he absentmindedly petted Mika.

He could play outside?

No, he didn’t feel like it.

He could play video games?

Didn’t feel like it either.

He was about to get up and start pacing again when something caught his eye. With only one corner of the square sticking out from under his bed, Justin grabbed and pulled, revealing an old dusty box. He pulled off the lid and inside was a number of beat up pieces colored black and white, and one large checkered board. Justin had uncovered his old chess set.

Suddenly like a ray of light in an eerie darkness, an idea struck him. He could play chess! It had been ages since he had played a nice game of chess! Surely he could play a few good games without getting bored. It was the game of kings after all. At the very least, it would pass the time.

But another dilemma quickly caught his attention. Who should he play with? In spite of his chocking boredom, he vaguely remembered that he was absolutely horrible at chess. Never, not once in his life had he won a chess match…ever. Though Justin was bored, he had no intention to lose.

Hugging the box close to his chest, he looked around the room. As if there was someone hidden in his closet or hiding behind the door he could play with. Then his eyes fell on Mika, who was still lying on his bed.

A weird thought occurred to Justin, bizarre, outlandish yet -to his stressed brain- was brilliant. Why not play with the Vulpix? He could never lose to a pokemon, could he? That would be utterly ludicrous.

Nevertheless, as he approached Mika, asking her to play with him, there was a little voice in his head that cried, “This is a bad idea!”

Yet, Justin disregarded the little voice’s warning.

He picked up Mika, who growled in a surprised manner, and placed her gently on the floor in front of him. Justin then placed the board between them and began arranging the pieces on it. As he placed the pieces, making sure that every piece was at its designated spot, he wondered how he was supposed to play with his pokemon; he doubted that it understood the meaning of chess.

Justin chose white, which left Mika with black. Hesitating, he moved a white pawn forward one step. He remembered the old strategy he used to use, the same one that consistently failed him. After moving his pawn, he sat back and stared at Mika, hoping that she would understand that it was her turn.

After a pause, Mika opted to copy her human’s actions. She nudged a black pawn forward with her nose, then sat back and barked happily, apparently pleased with herself. Justin didn’t hesitate to move another pawn and Mika did not pause to copy the boy’s actions.

The initial hesitation that Mika had towards the game disappeared as it drew on. She quickly began moving random pieces about the board. Though she probably did not understand that she was giving Justin a challenge, she obviously enjoyed the new game. Every time she would manage to kill a piece, Justin would move it out of the way, and take his turn.

All previous boredom had disappeared as Justin played with his Vulpix. What was a confident smile on his face had melted away after Mika killed his knight using her bishop. Of course, Justin helped her; to make sure that she used every chess piece in the correct manner. In a way, it was like Justin was playing with himself. He relished the challenge.

The game wore on and soon enough, there were only a small number of chess pieces remaining. Among them was Mika’s queen.

However, the game suddenly stopped when Mika made the first correct move in the entire game, using her small jaws to clamp the queen’s head, she moved it forward to face Justin’s king. Justin’s jaw dropped. Mika sat back on her haunches like she always did after her turn, and barked twice.

Check.

Justin scarcely believed it; he was checked by a pokemon?! One that didn’t even know the rules, too!

He moved his king to the right.

But Mika ever the faithful Pokémon copied her human’s actions, not knowing that she had placed him in another check.

Justin paused, this was shameful. As much as he loved Mika, he didn’t think he could survive the blow to his pride if he lost to her. Something had to be done. He decided he had to resort to dirty tactics. He would cheat. After all, she was a pokemon, how would she know? Much less even care.

He put on a playful smile. He told Mika that she had done a wrong move and before she could do anything about it, he reached over and moved her queen across the board to face Justin’s rook. Without even waiting, Justin moved his rook to take the queen. And thus, the greatest threat was eliminated.

Mika stared at the board, wondering what had just happened. What Justin did not count on, was that Mika knew that he wasn’t allowed to do that. She growled angrily at him, letting her displeasure be known. Justin pretended not to notice.

Within the next turn, Justin had Mika in a checkmate. He looked over at her with a smug look on his face.

The small fox pokemon jumped up at her feet, her red fur standing on end. Justin barely had time to withdraw his hand before the entire board and chess pieces, vanished behind a stream of red-hot flames. Mika continued to torch the chess board for an entire minute. And when the flames finally died down, the chess set was nothing but a pile of charcoal.

Mika glared at him, and her eyes saying one word, over and over.

Checkmate.

The End
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 30th January 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Board Games with a Pokemon (One-Shot)

Um, I'm a girl, by the way.

Very nice job here...Mika must be a natural chess player.

I would have liked to hear more of how the game played out, though.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

...Oh, um sorry. My bad, hehe.

Well, it didn't really take that much time to write, so I guess it never occured to me then. Thanks for reading though.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

In a Word: Glorious
    In a Sentence: Surprisingly good for what doesn't seem like would be an easy idea to work with.
    In a Paragraph: Detail is Awesome, you squeezed a lot of good story out of a short idea, compressed it into a small chunk of text and dusted it off with awesomeness.

5/5.
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Blog Entries

Thank so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed it!

Blog Entries

This was awesome! Different and creative for sure!

I love the way your prose flows and is so easy to understand yet reads like a sophisticated piece of writing. Your description of Justin and his emotions while playing is amazing and yeah, just an overall good one-shot.

:)

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

This is very funny. One win for Mika and maybe there will be more

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Blog Entries

I liked Vulpix's personality and the way you showed it. Great ending. It would have been ruined if Mika won "accidentally" since I find it too absurd, but since Mika didn't win (technically), it doesn't matter. It was a nice read.

Blog Entries

Thanks you guys for reading! It means alot.
    This one-shot was a sorta spur-of-the-moment thing, so I know it doesn't make the most sense, but if you had fun reading it well then I made my goal.
    Thanks again for reading it guys.

Virus equals very yes Kinglerlord2's Avatar

I enjoyed this. It was cute with an abrupt ending that I find suits short stories very well. Job well done.
    Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Go down there and light the bloody thing yourself!

WEASLEY IS OUR KINGLER!

Blog Entries

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed it.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Haha, I love how Justin decided to cheat just because his opponent was a Pokémon.

A rather amusing one-shot, got me smiling. :D

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm thinking about bring Mika back. I really love little fox.

Thank you for reading!

Hey, just wanted to post a comment even though I already told you what I think.

I loved it. It was short, sweet and funny too. The characters were great, and you did a great job on them in such a short story.

Anyway you already know what I think, so this is for the other readers... READ THIS. YOU'LL LIKE IT... That's an order you understand me!

COMING SOON!