EVERYONE: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 30: Finale-Thanks and Shop Till You Drop (part 2))
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 30: Finale-Thanks and Shop Till You Drop (part 2))

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 30: Finale-Thanks and Shop Till You Drop (part 2))

Inspired by AceTrainer14's idea of a blog story, I thought I might take a crack at a slice of life blog story...

So here it is:

Blogging Up Pichu

Entry 1: May 01--Getting To Know You

Hello there, Riters! I'm a little new to RiteIt, so bear with me as I learn my way around. This is the official blog for the Hikari Center, a breeding center devoted exclusively to breeding Pichus. The Celadon branch is not hard to find-just around the corner from the Pokemon Center. So whether you want a Pichu for a family pet, a League journey companion, or the star of your next TV show or commercial, we're the ones to see to get you started off on the right foot with your Pichu. /shameless plug

So anyway, I'm your host, Maya Nijiiro--fifteen year old student by day, Pichu breeder and performer by night. You almost have to be a performer to handle Pichus--they have so much energy, love to play, and in the case of our Pichus, always getting into trouble. This blog will give you a glimpse into the joys and tears we go through as we raise our Pichus from birth to loving home--who knows, you might learn something too.

The main lineup of three Pichus I'll be telling you about:

Hikari--the Pichu the center is named for, and usually the one to make public appearances on TV funding drives for our cause. She's come a long way since we rescued her from an abusive trainer four years ago--she adores people now, even if she's still a little aloof around them at first (understandable when you were once beaten for stupid reasons). People are amazed when we share her story--she's living proof of hope for unwanted and abandoned Pokemon.

Juno--The most outgoing of the bunch and the de facto leader, this little girl's a real livewire! She's always on the run, and likes to snuggle in my hair for some reason. (although Pichu are known to burrow in twigs in the wild, so maybe she thinks brown hair is the same as twigs) Despite her tendency to get into trouble, she is a real sweetheart, and will gladly sit on your lap for hours if you let her.

Sirona--The quiet and softspoken one of the group, Sirona's one of our newborns. She was born in March, and is really taking after her mother. She's also a big fan of hearing a good story, so whenever a storyteller's in town, I'll do whatever I can to get her to the show.

Normally we have some male Pichus here, but they're usually the first ones to be adopted when it's time for new trainers to leave on their journeys, so for now, I'll just be telling you about the main three.

If you like the blog or have a question about Pichu care, just leave me a comment.

Till next time,

Maya
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 12th June 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Premiere--Getting to Know You)

Interesting, I'm curious to see what happens as this entry is just an introduction and there's not much to it.

I wonder... will this become a new fad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It'd be funny if it did become the new trend...but I'm not copying AceTrainer14 in any way..

The name of the "blog service" Maya is using, RiteIt, is a parody of Blogger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 2: A Day in the Life of a Pichu--Waking Up and Breakfast

I had today's entry all ready, but I copied over it on accident....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 2: A Day in the Life of a Pichu--Waking Up and Breakfast

Okay, here's a new version of the entry I lost:

Blog entry 2: May 02--Waking Up and Breakfast

This post is the first of a series describing a typical day in our Pichus' lives--when they are not being shuttled to schools, events, or prospective homes.

Juno's usually the first one up by 7:00 and Hikari's awake not long after. For some reason, they like licking my feet, much like Pichus in the wild do with their mothers--I guess I'm their "mom", Being licked by a Pichu feels like someone's delicately wiping your toe with a baby wipe--and it does tickle!

Hikari's a litle reluctant to lick me at first because of her former trainer (trainer being a relative term). If she even so much as climbed on the bed, she was slapped--which is a HUGE no-no in Pichu discipline. But after Juno licks my feet a few times, Hikari hears my sleepy giggles and joins right in.

After my daily licking and taking both Hikari and Juno to the facilities, I head for the main breeding facility to see how Sirona and her mother Chikara are doing. Every Pichu is examined and observed as they grow--and Sirona's just as energetic and happy as ever, with the mite check, flu check, and infection checklist coming out negative. Once her exam is over, I put Sirona back in the box by Chikara's side to nurse.

Juno and Hikari are old enough for Pokechow, so that's what I usually feed them, except on special days and holidays, when i give them Berries. Every Pichu knows that Berries are treats, and in order to get more, they earn them. They were also a critical part of Hikari's rehibilitation--she could eat her weight in Berries easily if I let her.

A side note: Each of the Pikachus is placed in a brooding box the week before they give birth, so we can keep an eye on the expecting Pikachus if they go into labor early or something goes wrong during delivery. Those that are not breeding relax in the open air rec room--the roof is retractable, so we can give them sunshine whenever they need it.

Another side note: When it's time for Sirona to be weaned, we will feed her wet Pokechow, gradually adding more dry chow in until she can eat the dry chow on her own. But that's not for another six months--even so, she likes watching Hikari and Juno eat.

Tomorrow's entry continues the day--my chores and what the Pikachus do while I am away.

Until next time,

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 3: A Day in the Life of a Pichu--The Morning TV Routine)

Blog entry 3: May 03--The Morning TV Routine

Continuing the day in the lives of our Pichus, I left you with breakfast. Once everyone eats, the Pichus go to play while we examine all the Pikachus, change their bedding and things of that nature.

Sirona usually stays with her mother while Juno and Hikari explore the center, so most of what I'm about to describe is between Hikari and Juno.

Normally, the Pichus don't really watch that much TV, but when they do watch TV, their preferences are like night and day. Hikari's the more educational type, preferring to watch things like "Truth or Fiction?", "Pokemon Tales" and "Discovery Safari". Juno, meanwhile, likes cartoons and fantastic fare, such as "Yes! Pokemon 5!", "The Song Mage Chronicles" and "The Adventures of the Pichu Bros." Both of them do like game shows--Juno to admire the prizes, and Hikari to cheer a favorite contestant on. Strangely enough, game shows played a critical role during Hikari's rehibilitation--she was inspired by people winning wonderful items as a reward for being smart. Because of this, she read any book she could find, and with some encouragement from me, learned how to cope when things didn't go right. Maybe one day they'll invent a game show where Pokemon are the contestants for her to go on.

Complain to me all you want about too much TV being bad for young Pokemon, but I really think TV can benefit them--you just have to be careful what they watch when alone, and when you're together, answer their questions as honestly as you can. Hikari and Juno aren't glued to it all day either--most of what they like doesn't come on in the morning, anyway.

Instead, they're playing with a rainbow rope, blocks, or any other toys we have around the center. While they have learned to play by themselves, someone does peek in on them to check on them or referee any fights.

Both Pichus have been to my school before, so next entry, I'll tell you about a day at school from their point of view.

Until next time,

Maya
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 18th October 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 4: School Daze)

Blog Entry 4: May 04--School Daze

Usually, when the Pichus come with me to school, it's to plug the center and what we do. On these occassions, it's Hikari that comes with me. Any other time that a Pokemon is allowed to come with us to school, it's Juno that comes with me.

I have a meshy compartment in my bag that's big enough for a Pichu to fit, so they ride in there while I am in class. Of course I take things for them to do so they don't disrupt the proceedings, but when Hikari's with me, she actually wants to listen to the teacher and attempt what I am doing, never mind that it is way beyond her skill level and her answer will inevitably be wrong. Juno, meanwhile, will either play with what I brought along or look outside at the band marching or the Pidgeys and the Beautiflies flitting in the sky.

Lunch wise, it's Pichu-safe stuff from my lunch and Pokechow (and maybe a Berry or some other treat if they've been behaving) instead of mystery meat that's been sitting out for Arceus knows how long--the bane of every student's existence. (except maybe the math teachers)

For some reason, Pichus are instant friend attractants (lonely kids, take note!) No sooner do I set Hikari or Juno down on the table, at least 20 other people gasp at how cute they are and run up to pet them and sing their praises about how cute they are. Both of them just soak up the attention like a sponge, and I'm sure that when Sirona is old enough to come, she will too.

They have differing opinions on their favorite places in the school--they both love the library and the computer labs, but Juno likes running around the gym, while Hikari would rather hang around in the music wing, listening to the choir sing and the ensembles perform. She's been showing an interest in some form of a music lesson, but finding an instrument small enough for a Pichu is not easy. That, and she's terrified of going on a stage, never mind she likes pretending she is a star performer when she plays with the other Pichus, so when a recital inevitably comes up during lesson discussions, she is adamant about not going onstage.

I'm not going to bore you with some of my many stories about Hikari and her love of music just yet--but next entry, I'll tell you just what ignited her musical fire.

Until next time,

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 5: Of Pokeflutes and Pichus)

Blog Entry 5: May 05--Of Pokeflutes and Pichus

I mentioned in the previous entry that Hikari was interested in some form of a music lesson, but she has the Pokemon Master to thank for inspiring her.

See, it's usually big news when Master Ash on TV--I've told the Pikachus and the Pichus that whenever he is on, he probably has something important to say. But every once in a while, he will appear just to answer the eternal question of "What is it you DO inside the League all day?" When he's not visiting with super duper important people or discussing world impacting decisions...he's playing the Pokeflute. And this guy can PLAY! Pisani's Sonata for Pokeflute? He makes those long runs look easy--Hikari even timed him on just how long he could go without taking a breath during a particularly expressive passage. Chappa's Song for a Meowth? He's got the tongue of steel to make it through all those rapidfire tonguing passages. I can't even play those long tonguing passages right--when I play it, it always sounds like the proverbial Meowth is slogging through a mud puddle instead of the light and playful walk the piece is supposed to represent. And it's not just the technical pieces that have impressed her--Ash has legato on the Pokeflute down to an art form if his performance of Meunier's Romanza for Pokeflute is any indication--it's said that his version of the Romanza is the definitive version (But I would beg to differ--I've heard some versions that are better than Ash)

So it was Ash's performance of the Pisani that wowed Hikari. Her eyes grew as big as plates as he sped through the flurry of notes and long runs up and down the scale that populate the first movment. You couldn't even see his fingers on the fingerholes, he was going so quickly. His masterful breath control impressed her in the second movement, like I've said before. (I can barely make it through the first two lines of that without gasping for breath) But it was his mimicing bird Pokemon during the cadenza in the finale that sealed her love for the Pokeflute and music, period. She took a look at me as the crowd on the screen roared with applause and gave me that contented smile that means "I want to do that."

Now, we have two problems with that goal--one, a Pokeflute is too big for a Pichu to play, and two, Hikari is afraid of getting up on a stage to perform (another remanant of her abusive past--she would be beaten and yelled at if she didn't do a trick just right) The first problem is easily solved by giving her a whistle, which is just the right size for a Pichu to play. Teaching her that being onstage is fun might take a while, but I'm willing to be patient with her--I've brought her this far in a loving home--that's just another goal for me and her.

Stay tuned to see if I can get Hikari to overcome her fear of performing.

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 6: Once Upon a Sirona)

Blog Entry 6: May 06--Once Upon a Sirona

I've talked a lot about Hikari and Juno so far, so today I'm going to elaborate on Sirona a little--partictularly her love for a good story.

Since she is one of our younger babies, she's never too far away from her mother, Chikara. One of Chikara's favorite places to sit is nearby the radio in the den, which Mom always keeps tuned to the arts station. Now, say what you will about the Fanucci effect, but it's been proven that classical music has no effect on a baby Pokemon's intelligence any more than it does a human. Sirona doesn't mind it though, she just snuggles up against Chikara and snoozes as the orchestra lulls her to sleep.

Fortunately, the arts station has more variety than just classical music and opera--there's programs featuring music from around the world, jazz music, and Sirona's favorite--storytelling.

Mind you, our library has a great lineup of storytellers, and Sirona is enthralled by each one, but don't even bother listening to the radio at 6:00 weekdays and 7:00 on weekends--that's when Sirona and Chikara are listening to "Tales from the Fireside", hosted by the great Brock Harrison.

By day, Brock travels around the world giving medical care to less fortunate Pokemon. If their masters can't pay monetarily, he offers to let them tell him a story from the area as payment. He then goes out and tells that story, and many more he's collected from his travels with and without Master Ash, to the public. It's a win-win situation--Pokemon get the care they need, and culture gets shared in return. The Fireside Theater in Saffron City is his "base" for his performances, so that's where the show usually comes from, but every once in a while he will perform elsewhere, including the Iris Theater right here in Celadon. There's usually about four to six stories every show, and they generally follow some sort of theme--one day, the stories may all have something to do with Berries, the next might involve quests, and the next day's show might be about friendship.

One thing's for certain--Brock knows how to interact with the audience, and Sirona is enthralled with his skill at doing voices, his energy, and his knack for making people laugh.

Maybe one day I can take her to see Brock live.

Until next time,

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Sirona's Stories)

Blog Entry 7: May 07--Sirona's Stories

So how did Sirona discover Brock and his masterful storytelling? It started on a rainy evening sometime last summer. It was just after dinnertime, and Sirona was looking for something to do, since the other Pichus were playing games she can't play yet, so she strolled into the living room, and after a few attempts at climbing up to the radio, she managed to turn it on. Fortunately, I don't keep the radios too high up, so any one of the Pichus can access it if they want to. I happened to be there the whole time, ready to catch her if she slipped and fell.

Turns out I didn't need to step in, except to put her down on the floor once she switched it on. She romped over to where her mother Chikara, who was sitting by the window, and listened to the last little bit of the concerto in progress on the radio.

She perked up when the announcer said "KNTO Arts time is 6:00, Tales from the Fireside is next." Her smile got huge when the opening song began and the announcer talked about that day's theme--family. Chikara just licked her as Brock began working his art--but she was riveted the whole time as Brock wove a tale about five brothers with special gifts, and how they used those gifts to outwit a king.

Next was a story about how a boy defeated a curse from his own mom--that worried her a little bit, but Chikara assured her that she would never do something so terrible to her. I had to call her three times for a bath, she was so enthralled.

When it was over, she was all smiles, telling me about those, plus a story about a daughter proving herself to her father and a silly boy that kept mixing up his mom's instructions. Chikara and i figured that this could be one of her interests, and judging from how she dutifully listens day in and day out, it probably is.

Until next time,

Maya
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 1st November 2010 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 8: Hikari's Guitar)

Blog Entry 08: May 08--Hikari's Guitar

I think I've found the instrument that Hikari would enjoy playing--the guitar.

I found her plunking away at one of my guitars one night, and thought "Why not get her one of her own?" as she watched the strings vibrate. So after a few days of shopping around and comparing prices, a Wingull A6 Mini--a guitar designed for kids and small Pokemon--was hers.

At first, she had no clue what to do with it, so I demonstrated by playing my own spin on, appropriately enough, "The Wandering Pichu". She figured out how to tune up very quickly, but didn't quite get the concept of chords. It didn't help that she didn't get the concept of practice either--her idea of "practice" was "make random noise for thirty minutes and then put it in the toy box and forget about it the rest of the day." Pichus learn by repitition and modeling the desired behavior, so I figured watching me practice would help.

For a while, it appeared to be working, as I could hear some twanging and very vague beginnings of a song instead of the random noise. She finally understood chords a few days after that, when I found her lazily strumming a G to E minor sequence again and again. But weeks of effort came to a head when I heard her playing the little bit of "The Wandering Pichu" I had first played for her--she got showered in Berries for her performance.

Next is seeing if she wants to work up the courage to get on a stage and sing while she plays. Granted, I won't force her into the spotlight, but if she realizes that being onstage is not so bad, I'll do my best to encourage her. Even if her "audience" is just her toys and her "stage" just the hidey hole box in her room, I'm still very proud of her for finding something she really wants to do.

Until next time,

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Gastly's Mama View Post
    I wonder... will this become a new fad?
    Yes it will. Thank you for inspiring me to make a blog story topaz.
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 8: Hikari's Guitar)

You're welcome!

The story tracks one month in the life of Maya and the Pichus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 9: The Storm)

Blog Entry 09: May 09--The Storm

It's been relatively uneventful around the center lately, but after last night's rainstorm, I learned that all three are scaredy-Meowths when it comes to thunderstorms--ironic, because they will be shooting thunder should they decide to evolve.

The craziness began when the first peal of thunder came around 8 PM, which is bedtime for them. Sirona began to cry, Juno darted under her bed, and Hikari went scrambling for the closest open door. Sirona was pretty easy to calm--Chikara just gave her a reassuring lick and she went right to sleep. Hikari and Juno, however...

I grabbed a flashlight and found Juno huddled among the dust bunnies. After several attempts to coax her out and assurances that the thunder wouldn't hurt her, she still wouldn't come out. Toys didn't help, because she would just grab the toy and disappear again, but more reassurances and a few Berries finally lured her out and calmed her down.

Hikari was the hardest to calm--first we had to find her, which meant turning the center upside down and looking in every room for every conceivable place a Pichu could fit. We started our search with her known hidey holes--no dice with the coffee table, and she was definitely not in the careal cabinet in the kitchen. The tub in the bathroom was empty, and she was not hiding under her bed either.

Then, one of our night shift volunteers suggested we ask the other Pichus and the Pikachus if they had seen her. So after checking on Sirona again (who seemed to have gotten used to the thunder) Chikara told us that she had seen Hikari run in the bathroom. Despite some initial protests from the other staffers in my search party, we went back and searched the bathroom again. It turned out that Hikari had been hiding in a cabinet under the sink the whole time.

After reassuring her that she was safe, I carrired her out of the bathroom and tucked her in, assuring her all the while the thunder wouldn't harm her. Whether or not they'll get that remains to be seen--but our centerwide search is not something I want to do again!

Until next time,

Maya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blogging Up Pichu (Entry 10: Bathtime Bothers)

Entry 10: May 10--Bathtime Bothers

Hikari's come a long way from the frightened and aloof Pichu she once was. That being said, there is still one area we're working on: taking a bath.

Granted, she loves watching Juno and the other Pichus take a bath, but when it's her turn, it's almost comical in how she will try and get away from me. I knew from Day 1 that one of the abuses she endured was almost drowning by being submerged in water, and while she's gotten over most of her fears and neurotic behaviors, the phobia of water is still a work in progress.

The whole ordeal works something like this:

1. Get bath supplies and fill washtub with water, assuring Hikari that it is just water.

2. Jump out of the way of attempted shocking of washtub in hopes that the water will make it arc and shock me, never mind that all Hikari can produce is a tiny spark and it's not strong enough to make it to the washtub yet.

3. Scold Hikari for the above.

4. Put Hikari in time out for the above.

5. Take her to the washtub as soon as said time out expires.

6. Answer her fearful questions about the bath, never mind that I've answered them before and she's just trying to stall.

7. Watch in horror as she wriggles free from my arms and dives under my bed.

8. Lure her out with a Berry and finally get her in the water.

9. Apply soap and start scrubbing, trying oh-so-hard to tune out her crying.

10. Gasps as she escapes the tub in all her soapy glory before I can rinse her.

11. Follow her soapy pawprints to her hidey hole of choice

11b. Chase her around the block before following her footprints to a newly discovered hidey hole. (optional)

11c. Get other people involved in hunting her down. (optional)

11d. Get the chase on TV before finally catching her--at least three different channels. (optional--twelve channels is our record)

12. Repeat steps 3-8.

13. Finally rinse her and dry her off.

14. Clean the center and apologize to neighbors for any damage caused.

I do have a glimmer of hope, though--she seems to like being wiped down with a wet rag, so maybe I should give her a bath that way untill she's brave enough for the tub.

Until next time,

Maya

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast