Anyone work with betas?

Thread: Anyone work with betas?

Manga Sam Fangirl Revolutionary Girl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone work with betas?

In case you don't know what a beta is (though I imagine that around here everyone knows), it's a person who in effect acts as an editor for you... a person who gets to read your work before you release it to the general public, to give you hints on how to make your fic better (grammatically, story-wise, or whatever).

Was poking around on aff.net today, where I saw a whole category for people either looking for the services of a beta reader or offering themselves as betas for hire. I usually don't use one myself, but I often end up acting as one (anything going up on my page automatically gets the grammar/ awkward wording check, just to make sure it's generally readable).

Anyone around here use one? Do you find it helps you? What does your beta look for---just grammar, or just story holes? And if you don't, why not?

I'm not sure why I've never got into the habit of using them. It certainly seems like a good idea to have another pair of eyes looking at something before you send it out...

"Ol' Flying Fingers Sammy jumped the gun."

Pokemaniacs Anonymous: Growing old =/= growing up.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I use betas - sometime. Usually, when I'm not sure about a chapter and/or when I'm in a bad vein, spelling-wise, I just grab someone to act as designated beta (I generally consider "Maybe you could get a beta reader" as volunteering for the task;))

Most of the time though, beta slows thing down. A lot. Plus, I generally can survive on my own without making things TOO unreadable.

So yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes I do, when I'm not sure about something...

I use them sometimes. Usually, though, I am too impatient to wait for one. I find them to be incredibly helpful, but I also am rather sensitive to critisism...like my title says, I'm just a hack...
    Your Service,
    Ket Makura

Any one emotion,
    Any true devotion,
    Anytime, anywhere.

Scaring people with my avatar since 2003.

Twisted Every Way

I have this massive story which I have been working on for 8 years (obviously, it's changed completely since the start), and I haven't written up any of it in anything other than outline form, but I have a friend who I use as a beta of a sort, but just in the ideas sense - he gives me a bit of perspective on the deveopments, helps me make up my ind if I can't decide which path the story should follow, and I would find a beta if when I eventually get around to write this story. However, for most of my other stuff I just write it on my own, but none of it has gotten any further than my desktop so it doesn't really matter anyway.
    I fear the llama and those that wield it.

You know who you are.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

FFN used to have an entire forum devoted to beta-readers. BenRG is a great beta-reader; he does all of Joshua Falken's work, since Joshua's primary language is Portugese.

I've never used a beta-reader myself, but I probably could use the services of a good editor or reader. I tend to either forget details that would help a scene appear in the mind of the reader or I go overboard with details.^^

I have never had a beta-reader, even though I usually need one. But like other people have said, I don't think I'd be able to stand the wait. As soon as I finish writing a story I like to put it up almost immediately(which leads to many typos, and is definitely not the way to go ^^;;;). But I'm just so impatient. It's such a bad character trait of mine.

"Kiss My Ash!" - me
    I am a proud defender of Ash.
    Why?
    Because he is such a cutie!
    Member of the OPS and proud supporter of Pokeshipping
    Check out my fanfiction