An alarming note - TO all writers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An alarming note - TO all writers

The Astute cynic

Default An alarming note - TO all writers

I was talking with my creative writing professor today, and she told me of something that scared the shit out of me. It seems any work that you have on the internet and is viewable by the public won't even be considered for publication by publishers. She knows because she has gone thorugh the same situation it seems. All publishers it seem go by the philosophy that if you already have somethign published in one form, why should they pay the money to publish it again, and why should readers pay money to read what is available for free.

So, I just wonder what you guys think of this, and how it shall influence all your original works. Fanfiction doesn't really fall in the above category I suppose.
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think this is true for all publishing companies.

Heck, I know of writers who circulate e-copies of their books, or parts of their books, to generate interest in the published deal.

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

One possible reason is that they might not be able to verify whether the one published on the Internet is in fact your work, or if you plagiarised the work on the Internet...

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

...How are they going to search the entire Internet for your work? How would they know?
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Google can be exceedingly helpful there -- especially now, since they've expanded their search limit to 32 words. Just pick an adequately long sentence and you're quite sure of finding the original, if it exists.

Blog Entries

It seems any work that you have on the internet and is viewable by the public won't even be considered for publication by publishers.
    Tell that to the authors of Megatokyo and El Goonish Shive...

Or does this not apply to comics? Because if so, it seems hypocritical...

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

In any event, I was never planning to publicly reveal any ORIGINAL work of mine. And fanfiction cannot be published in any event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Lost in the digital world, but posting from Massachusetts.
    Blog Entries

That said, I have one question:

Explain the darwin awards books.

(Non-fiction, sure, but the principle applies)

(That said, if you pull it down and wait 'til it's out of google's cache, you should be fine, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ketsuban
    Tell that to the authors of Megatokyo and El Goonish Shive...

Or does this not apply to comics? Because if so, it seems hypocritical...
    Comics are a different situation. There's a long-established market for books reprinting comics which have already been published in another format.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Silverblade
    In any event, I was never planning to publicly reveal any ORIGINAL work of mine. And fanfiction cannot be published in any event.
    It can, but in very small, and very rare, circumstances.
    I love bacon more than I love your mom.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but *pokémon* fails to qualify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unless you count those books by Tracy West...

As far as I can tell, virtually all Star Trek novels are fanfiction...

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    As far as I can tell, virtually all Star Trek novels are fanfiction...
    Official Paramount policy
    As a rule of thumb, the events that take place within the live action episodes and movies are canon, or official Star Trek facts. Story lines, characters, events, stardates, etc. that take place within the fictional novels, the Animated Adventures, and the various comic lines are not canon.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule: the Jeri Taylor penned novels "Mosaic" and "Pathways." Many of the events in these two novels feature background details of the main Star Trek: Voyager characters. (Note: There are a few details from an episode of the Animated Adventures that have entered into the Star Trek canon. The episode "Yesteryear," written by D.C. Fontana, features some biographical background on Spock.)
    So yeah, they pretty much are just fanfiction. Even, apparently, the movie novelizations written by the late Gene Roddenberry.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Fighter

Thanks for warning us about this. Yeah, I'd heard that online works are tainted goods, but I've never been concerned about it because I don't think I'm all of a sudden going to write the next great American novel on some forum. More likely my writing will progress, I'll enjoy sharing my work with peers online, and then when I feel I'm ready I might work on something that I'd want to publish, I'd just write it and send it to the publisher without putting it on the net. Although I'm not planning on ever sending anything to a publisher so that doesn't apply to me, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast