Threads like this have been done, but perhaps this is an interesting direction to take such an idea...
I thought that I'd take a rare stab at making a thread based on the best movies that the people of Bulbagarden have seen this year. Obviously, movies such as the Dark Knight fall into this category, but if one has never seen Dr.Strangelove until this year, one should feel free to list that, as well.
Here's mine, in a fairly accurate ordering of what I've seen, and what I liked the most. I'll keep it somewhat terse with a top ten list.
- RockNRolla: Simply the best movie I've seen this year, and I do believe that it's tied for my favorite film of all-time.
- In Bruges: This movie is excellent, and really without flaws. This is definitely a film for those who like a dark comedy.
- Hellboy 2: the Golden Army: I preferred this film to the first, which I also quite enjoyed, and it was simply an amusement-fest.
- 007: Quantum of Solace: Another solid Bond film. Daniel Craig's proving himself to be quite good as Bond, even if his daffy voice showed through in a few scenes of this film.
- Burn after Reading: Like the Big Lebowski, I simply enjoyed the hell out of this film. I shouldn't expect that any of the cast members get any nominations for their roles, because Hollywood is so ass-backward.
- Special: Michael Rappaport was incredible in this film. It was rather creative, and I can't wait to get it on DVD. I just hope that it's not too difficult to find.
- Max Payne: the movie took a lot of liberties with the game's story, but I still quite enjoyed it.
- The Transporter 3: I'm gonna get flack for putting this ahead of the Dark Knight, but meh. I love the Transporter films.
- The Dark Knight: A fine film. I find it overrated, but I did quite enjoy the film, anyway.
- Appaloosa: Ed Harris brought an Old West yarn, and it impressed me. Good film.
Honorable mentions: Anamorph, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Get Smart
The worst film that I saw this year would be Eagle versus Shark. I'm a big Jemaine Clement fan, but good lord...that movie stunk to high Hell.
So, what're the best movies that you people have seen this year?