Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Joltik
  • 1 Post By boondockArtist
  • 2 Post By Instrutilus

Thread: Please Help Me Not Suck

Blog Entries
    Add AnonyGirl on Facebook

Default Please Help Me Not Suck

I have some pictures up on deviantART, and they really are quite sad. I changed my style recently, and it still needs improvement. Please help me with this? I would appreciate it quite a bit.

My deviantART name is crazyyandere, by the way. No trolls, please. Just criticism. Lots of it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please Help Me Not Suck

It may be easier to put a link to your deviantART, or just post the pictures here. It would be easier to find them.
    Gama likes this.

Blog Entries

One advice I can think of, is not make the eyes that big, and give them pupils (the black dots on the colorful area), they're too big even for manga
    :D

Blog Entries

If you're having trouble with anime/manga style drawing, look up Mark Crilley on Youtube. He is a manga writer and artist who post how to draw videos all the time. The videos have really helped me out!

Blog Entries
    Add AnonyGirl on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik View Post
    It may be easier to put a link to your deviantART, or just post the pictures here. It would be easier to find them.
    Sure, I could do that. I'll post the newer drawings. The ones that need criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi & Random
    One advice I can think of, is not make the eyes that big, and give them pupils (the black dots on the colorful area), they're too big even for manga
    I'm not exactly trying to draw an anime or manga themed style. I want them to look like cartoon characters. I like the big adorable eyes. I'll take your advice not to use it on the characters who aren't supposed to be adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by jokool
    If you're having trouble with anime/manga style drawing, look up Mark Crilley on Youtube. He is a manga writer and artist who post how to draw videos all the time. The videos have really helped me out!
    Thank you, but I am trying to do a cartoonish style. I will watch the video. Thank you for the tip.

One lost to time boondockArtist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow boondockArtist on Tumblr

My suggestion: keep on drawing. You'll get better if you practice if ya do this. If you're having trouble, look at some other people's works. Not so much promoting the comics as I am giving an example, Petty's Leafgreen and Heartgold Nuzlockes are good examples of a cartoonish style, maybe check them out?
    Gama likes this.

"Hello Goodbye, Twas nice to know you
    "Hello Goodbye, I'm rather crazy
    How I find myself without you
    And I never thought I was crazy
    That I'll never know
    But what do I know?
    I let myself go"
    Now you have to go"

Boony's Bad Art Thread-"Come in for free eye band-aids today!"

Blog Entries

<has a look at the pictures in question> Hmm...

Mmk, what you need to do is plan it out. You have a cartoon style, so I'd suggest the use of shapes. I'll "copy" (very badly) the Leah and the Butterfly Leah for an example, as that seems to be the more shape using.

Now, first thing is the general layout: first shows the completed drawing with Leah looking at a butterfly. Note the circle that serves as her head, the most evident of the shapes. Now, let's break it down to the basics for the second image, showing a circle where her head goes, with a cross laid over it. That is for later details. Next up is the rectangle to serve as her body until details are in, see how it basically boxes where her torso is. Next up are the arms, which start just below the head on the body as rectangles, ending with circles attached for the hands. If her arm is bending more then what one rectangle would serve, you'll need to cut it in two. Now, at the base of the torso box, you'll need a triangle to server as her pelvis, and from each point starts another rectangle for legs with ovals for her feets.

Now, on the third one, I've sketched in the details. See how the cross goes along the center of the circular eye, though I failed with the one further from the "camera". The irises go in however you please, while I'd advise putting in thick dots for pupils and a shine to give it a more detailed appearance. Her nose sits just below the center of the cross, while her mouth evidentally goes under that. For her body, notice how her abdomen remains in the box, bar a couple of evident protrusions. Now, her arms start off circular, remaining in the box but giving an evident shoulder. Curve however your style dictates and end where the circles are. For her hands, these will take practice, but to try and make it easier try and remain in the circle or sketch out the outline of the hand without detailed fingers. As evident by the picture, start her legs at the points of the Triangle, adding details to the pants however you see fit, before ending at the ovals for feet. Try and make said ovals more pointed and flatter on the bottom to give off the outline of feet.

Sorry, I'm not really good at cartoony styles, I'm more animé, but I hope this helps in some manner...
    Last edited by Blazaking; 3rd April 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    AnonyGirl and Blazaking like this.