My pixel art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pixel art

Default My pixel art

I think it would better be in its own thread.

So, I haven't been spriting for months, and then I randomly go ahead and make... a snowman. o_O

Don't ask.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

That is so adorable! And just in time for the Winter Holidays. :D

Smile

I agree with you, and it's a good piece of art!

Christmasy version of the snowman.

Yellow version Cloyster revamp, done for a spriter retest on PMF. Because I never liked the original very much, it is kind of half-hearted effort, but meh.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Both look great. I love the Christmas snowman. :)

This is my worst sprite for a long while, but it's an Eeveelution splice that includes something from each of them and uses only the D/P sprites. Five-way splices are harder than they look. @_@

Mutark, a fake Pokémon. This requires a bit of explanation: Mutark is one of those "gimmick Pokémon" - such as Ditto, Smeargle, Castform and Kecleon - that are weak, don't evolve, but have some unique random trait. Mutark's is that it grows into a bigger, stronger form at the taste of its own blood, which if it were a real Pokémon would, in the games, cause its sprite to morph into the form on the right of the current one and all stats to increase by one level at the end of any turn during which it is struck with a physical attack. All the sprites are made from scratch, although the pose of the fourth one draws much inspiration from the Gold version Persian.

As I said, in the games it would translate to being at the end of any turn when it's hit by a physical attack - admittedly not entirely accurate, but there's not a lot of other ways to approximate it. The basic idea is that cats instinctively lick their wounds, so as soon as it gets a bleeding wound it would lick it and taste the blood.

Fwee, new Leta line sprites. :D And the old ones, for reference:

The new ones are all scratch except that I reused the shape of Leta's head from the old sprite (which was originally an Eevee stripped of all its features). I'm especially happy with the new Letal. :3

D/P-style Letaligon in its old pose, for those who prefer it big and imposing. With this sprite, the evolution line together looks like this:

Two pixel-overs - both of them suggestions, actually. Firstly, a Dialga that somebody suggested and made me remember I had always intended to make one since I love Dialga:

And secondly, a Jirachi made for somebody who was making a ROM hack. It was made from an image he provided, which later, when I searched DeviantArt for Jirachi, turned out to have been a thumbnail of this picture by crayon-chewer on DeviantArt. I don't know if he got permission from the artist to use it in the ROM hack, but at least I asked after creating it. Meanwhile I am giving full credit to this crayon-chewer for the original picture:

Pokémon Capture Expert paperfairy's Avatar

Wow, I couldn 't tell that the Dialga wasn't a sprite over. It's really well done; you should be proud.

I like the Jirachi, but a part of me just doesn't like it. I'll try to directly indentify what I dislike.... later.

don't like something? fix it. stop complaining about it.

A Palkia to go with that Dialga. My God, Palkia has to be one of the most difficult Pokémon ever to sprite. Whatever I may have said about Palkia's D/P sprite looking bad, I can forgive them now that I discovered that Palkia uses the full allotted palette of sixteen colors and a grand total of one does not appear as a perfectly ordinary shade on some part of its body. This means that there is one dark gray color for the outline, and then the possibility of reusing the shadow colors of some of its hues. That thing is freakishly difficult to work with, and I really think it came out surprisingly good considering that. I thought I'd have to make up an entirely new shading scheme to be able to work with the D/P Palkia's seemingly awful palette, but somehow that pink looks considerably better on a large pixel-over like this than a tiny sprite. Maybe the outline shading, which I changed quite a bit more, has something to do with it. Even the shiny version looks halfway decent:

Also, despite being twelve pixels shorter, Palkia looks bigger than Dialga in the pixel-over because Palkia is more massive; fewer pixels out of the available space are transparent. Similar concept to those two Letaligon sprites. Here they are together, so you can see what I mean:

I really like your pixel art, Dragonfree! They're all so cute and really look professional. My favourite would be the sprites of Mutark, which I find to be such a neat design as well. I would definitely raise one if it were real. xD

Hehe, thanks. I like Mutark, too, although I don't think I did such a good job on the sprites, personally. :P

Gah. Ditto. Easy as hell to outline; a nightmare to shade. A huge blob of one solid color will never look good in such a tiny palette. ><; But here it is.

I'm not sure what the heck I can do with that thing to make it look halfway decent. :/

Pixel-overs of this Mew that I drew and the Sugimori Butterfree. I don't like the Butterfree much but I can't really put my finger on why; I love the Mew's head, but hate the shading on the body.

Both made for my sig (the Butterfree is only used at a couple of other forums).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast