Critiques, Tips and Tricks for Aritsts on Their Art.

Thread: Critiques, Tips and Tricks for Aritsts on Their Art.

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf Shiay's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiay On Twitter Add Shiay on Facebook
    Follow Shiay on Tumblr Visit Shiay's Youtube Channel

Default Critiques, Tips and Tricks for Aritsts on Their Art.

Hi everyone! I'm actually trying out this thread topic as an artistic project for the community here. If it takes off well and people like it a lot, then I'll probably end up pinning the topic so that it doesn't get buried underneath all the other threads.

Oh... and before anyone asks for tutorials for specific colouring, lining or just general PhotoShop/GIMP/SAI/Painter methods, there is a thread here for that. If there isn't a tutorial of what you're looking for, let me know and I'll do my best to look up something for you and anyone else that may want it. C:

Anyways, that aside.... The point of this thread is for artists to help other artists out there. Well, those that are willing to offer it. I wanted artists -- beginning and the more seasoned -- to come to this thread to receive and offer help. If there are artists out there that are looking for critique from other artists, then they can post the art that they want to have critiqued by others (note: people that critique art, colour and composition don't necessarily have to be artists themselves to point out things that can be improved) and ask questions about their art that they would like to have answered.

There are two types of critique that the people willing to offer critique can use. Either the red line assistance, or just flat out pointing them out through words. I will say that red lining for someone while describing what they could do to make it better is generally a better course of assistance for the artist. Mainly because they get a visual on how it's supposed to look and, thus, do have a goal for what their anatomy should look like.

As a general note, I must let everyone know that this thread is not for people that can't handle people showing them errors in their work (which would actually make a majority of us question just why you posted in this thread in the first place). If you're really wanting the help that other people are offering, please don't get offended by the way someone just says something is 'off' about your art.

Then to the people that are offering critique and assistance to the new artists -- while I know that critiques aren't meant to be ego-stoking, super nice sets of words... do make it so that you don't come across as a total jerk. We want to encourage people to continue doing art and to get better, not wanting to hole themselves up artistically. There is a way to make a nice sounding critique, so please keep it so that it sounds and reads as such.

deviantART | Perfect Lie | The Sinclair Journal | Level Up! | My Fanclub | Fallout Fanclub | Morty/Matsuba Fanclub | Left 4 Dead Group | TERA Player

Tempest Reach Server
    Jaydin.Byrd/37/Human/Warrior | Alloura/20/Elin/Priest | Jaysen.Biel/20/Castanic/Warrior | Kayan/6/Castanic/Archer
    Azrea/5/Castanic/Warrior | Gwenevire/8/Elin/Sorcerer | Jak.Sinclair/18/Human/Warrior | Sylsalis/10/Castanic/Archer

Celestial Hills Server
    Vaiha/15/Castanic/Slayer | Thalifra/16/Castanic/Sorcerer | Shiay/13/Human/Slayer | Mirielle.Maltrusse/23/High Elf/Mystic
    Nuell/20/Castanic/Archer | Open | Open | Open

Blog Entries

Follow Amaura on Tumblr

Default Re: Critiques, Tips and Tricks for Aritsts on Their Art.

Yes, I am very aware that these suck and the scanner quality isn't that good. :/ You can click on the pics to make them larger... I just want to know how I can get better.
    all my life I wish I broke mirrors instead of promises
    'Cause all I see is a shattered conscience staring back at me

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf Shiay's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiay On Twitter Add Shiay on Facebook
    Follow Shiay on Tumblr Visit Shiay's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Critiques, Tips and Tricks for Aritsts on Their Art.

Hm... some things I can offer for getting better are these:

- Look at pictures of people or even just study them when you're out and about -- at the store, school, work, etc.... Get a feel for how the body moves and what it looks like. Another way of doing this is using an anatomy doll. While they're not accurate with some of the motions and curves of the human body, they do help with shape and form of the body and it does come in real handy.
    - When drawing limbs, spend time on them so that you don't get something that looks like a limp noodle. Remember that the forearm and arm are the same length and that the only thing separating them is the elbow. Same goes for the calf and thigh.
    - Looking at 'how to' books never hurts. In fact, it's actually a really good start for many artists to look back and refer to. They have a lot of tips and guides on how to achieve what it is you're looking for.

deviantART | Perfect Lie | The Sinclair Journal | Level Up! | My Fanclub | Fallout Fanclub | Morty/Matsuba Fanclub | Left 4 Dead Group | TERA Player

Tempest Reach Server
    Jaydin.Byrd/37/Human/Warrior | Alloura/20/Elin/Priest | Jaysen.Biel/20/Castanic/Warrior | Kayan/6/Castanic/Archer
    Azrea/5/Castanic/Warrior | Gwenevire/8/Elin/Sorcerer | Jak.Sinclair/18/Human/Warrior | Sylsalis/10/Castanic/Archer

Celestial Hills Server
    Vaiha/15/Castanic/Slayer | Thalifra/16/Castanic/Sorcerer | Shiay/13/Human/Slayer | Mirielle.Maltrusse/23/High Elf/Mystic
    Nuell/20/Castanic/Archer | Open | Open | Open