.:~*TCG Pixel Over Contest.*~:.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .:~*TCG Pixel Over Contest.*~:.

Default .:~*TCG Pixel Over Contest.*~:.

Yup. I've been wanting to host a contest here for a while, despite how overly made they are. I just hope I'll be willing to stick to this, but...I'm sure I will.

Without further ado, this entire contest is focused fully on TCG Pixel Overs--mainly because the TCG are is more plentiful than regular Sugimori art and varies greatly in artistic styles, due to there being several different artists that illustrate the TCG cards.

This entire contest will consist of 5 rounds, each lasting for a week-and-a-half or so. Seeing as how I'd rather start out slow and simple, the amount of competitors allowed will only be a mere ten. This is a first-come-first-serve procedure, so make sure to sign up before no more places exist--if you would like to participate, that is.

I will not, however, post up a long list of rules or anything. You all know the drill: Basic board rules, common sense, thievery results in an immediate ban, and just follow eeach round's guidelines thoroughly.

NTKS ("Need-to-Know-Stuff"; also known as"tl;dr")
    --This contest focuses solely on pixel overs of the artwork seen on TCG cards.
    --The deadline will generally be a week and a half after that current round starts; [i][color-red]however, the first round will start as soon as ten users edit an entry (so make completely sure that your entry is the final version you wish to post.).
    --You may reserve a spot during the first stage of the contest (registration) without posting an entry, but you must have an entry by a week later, or your place will be disregarded, deleted from the list, and a new member will obtain the chance to join.

Another thing; this contest's results for each round will be determined by judging by yours truly; the two with the lowest scores will be eliminated from the next round. If there's three members that all have the lowest scores, however (for instance, one person has the lowest amount of points, while two others have the second-lowest, having the same exact amount of points), there will be a short-and-sweet "Sudden Death" match between the two or more with the same lowest scores. Deadline is somewhat undecided, though, seeing as this is an unlikely occurrence.

Nonetheless, the amount of points and the comments themselves WILL be posted when the judging is finished with, so you'll be able to see your pros and cons from a third party. The judging will follow the following criteria:

~*Color Quality: Are lowly and highly saturated colors, light and dark colors, and the use of hue shifting used where appropriate? Is the amount of colors "just enough", consisting not of too many, but not too less, either? (5 points total.)
    ~*Shading Quality and Realism: Were used/appropriate shading techniques (such as dithering, correct usage of anti-aliasing, and the like) used correctly? Does the shading portray the correct origin of the light source that was used in the original TCG artwork (Depending on certain circumstances, I may be a bit leaniant on this.), and is that portrayal shown consistently? (10 points total.)
    ~*Pixel Placement: Are pixels placed where necessary; meaning that there are no unnecessary pixels or groups of pixels randomly placed? Are any used "outlines" jagged or uneven in any way? (10 points total.)
    ~*Correct Usage of Texture: Were any attempted usages of texture performed correctly? Were they used excessively or too little? Were they used where appropriate? (5 points total.)
    ~*Overall Consistency: Is the overall look and feel of the piece pleasing to the eye from a first glance? This includes most of the above categories, such as the shading, possible texturing, correct color/hue shifting usage, and the like. (20 points total.)

Round 1 Theme and Guidelines

Competitors and Entries
    1.) BuizelBoy (entry posted on 10/10)

2.) Bubblewrap (entry posted on 10/8)

3.) Azure Butterfly (entry posted on 10/10)

4.) MorruMaster14 (expired 10/15)
    5.) IslandWalker (entry posted on 10/12)

6.) Kayumi (entry posted on 10/11)

7.) Junglebook (entry posted on 10/12)

8.)
    9.)
    10.)

You may begin now. ^^; Have fun.
    Last edited by Speed-X; 17th October 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Will never change name. BuizelBoy's Avatar

Default Re: .:~*TCG Pixel Over Contest.*~:.

Sounds great, I'll definitely be joining. ^-^
    Moved to Serebii, still spriting there. ~BB

Hey, du! Thanks for joining, nonetheless that I offered. ^^;

Just make sure to get an entry in within a week or so. ^^;

Aw, come on, guys. Anyone else? <:3

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I'll give this a shot! It'll be my first pixel over, though! Hope that's OK.

Thanks for joining. And yeah, that's totally fine. I'll add you to the list as reserved. ^^

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll see what I can do too.

I'll try to get my entry in on the weekend, but I'm pretty busy so it might be slightly later.

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

*enters* I will join.

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

This is the original image - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Croagunk7POPSeries9.png

I don't really have any idea of the TCG so I hope I did the right thing! This my first ever pixel over and my second ever sprite! (First one was a rainbow recolour). I hope this is OK and I didn't break any rules - I'm not too sure if I did it right either!
    Last edited by Froakie; 8th October 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I attempted to use anti-aliasing, but I realized that it would look weird when I made it transparent... any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Butterfly View Post
    I attempted to use anti-aliasing, but I realized that it would look weird when I made it transparent... any advice?
    I used some antialiasing on the outside of my sprites eyes etc, I'm not sure how you'd go about using it outside the outlines...

1st Movie Promo Pikachu Card.

Heh, I even remember going to this movie with my whole family, none of whom were even interested in Pokemon, and hoarding up about 8 promo cards from them at the end of it. :D

That was my first attempt at antialiasing (around the eyes and cheeks), not quite sure how it turned out, any tips Speed?

Bubblewrap: Actually, that's pretty good. You seemed to use the dithering nicely--it's used moderately, thus being not too excessive or anything.

Azure Butterfly: Hey. I had that card a long time ago, when I bought the movie. >w> Just not in...Japanese. XD But, nonetheless.
    Nothing actually stands out as being bizarre or anything; however, I would imagine that anti-aliasing should be used sparingly on the lineart if your entire intention is to make it be transparent in the long run...unless you anti-alias using black/darker colors instead of lighter colors. The former is usually what I do, and what I've seen be done several times.

You're fine, though; but I just thought I'd give you that simple word of advice.

Buizel: Looks pretty nice--you seem to have executed dithering modestly, like how Bubble did with Croagunk.

I've updated the list; and sorry for any lag. I've been...gone the whole weekend.

Anyone else wanna join? If not, I'm sending out invitations. XD

Bubblewrap: Actually, that's pretty good. You seemed to use the dithering nicely--it's used moderately, thus being not too excessive or anything.

Azure Butterfly: Hey. I had that card a long time ago, when I bought the movie. >w> Just not in...Japanese. XD But, nonetheless.
    Nothing actually stands out as being bizarre or anything; however, I would imagine that anti-aliasing should be used sparingly on the lineart if your entire intention is to make it be transparent in the long run...unless you anti-alias using black/darker colors instead of lighter colors. The former is usually what I do, and what I've seen be done several times.

You're fine, though; but I just thought I'd give you that simple word of advice.

Buizel: Looks pretty nice--you seem to have executed dithering modestly, like how Bubble did with Croagunk.

I've updated the list; and sorry for any lag. I've been...gone the whole weekend.

Anyone else wanna join? If not, I'm sending out invitations. XD

Update: Yes, I have had to resort to sending out invitations. XD And, as a result, I've had a couple confirmations of participants so far, so I'll add those to the list.

On the other hand, hey guys! There's still 4 entries available, so let's get this registration process rollin'! =D *is overly enthusiastic today*

Blog Entries

Sounds cool. I'll try to find the time to make an entry. :)
    Diamond FC: 2622 5132 9433. Black FC: 1291 7690 6023 Black2 FC: 4427 9562 8130

^Click please? <3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast