Are you happy they replace characters? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How do you feel on this?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 35.42%
  • No

7 14.58%
  • Both

24 50.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Are you happy they replace characters?

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

Default Re: Are you happy they replace characters?

Initially I didn't like character replacing since I was just a child when it first happened and I disliked seeing one of my favorite characters leave and be replaced by an annoying newbie. Then it got worse when Dawn came.

However, now I'm okay with character replacing since I've become much older and become easily bored with watching the same people do the same thing over and over. I need new characters with different goals and personalities to add a scene of freshness to the show. Not to mention seeing a large variety of Pokémon on the main cast. So I truly am happy that characters do get replaced once their saga is over.

Plinkety plonk pianooo... Doctor Who's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Doctor Who On Twitter

Meh. I liked Brock in the original series, but as Spectrum Achromatic said, he was getting rather tiring by DP. I would flip if Iris was laid off (which she inevitably will be. Looks like I'm hiding in my depression corner come October.), so I like it when characters that have stuck around like gum on the roof of your mouth are laid off, but I don't mind when characters like Misty who was in it for 4 or so years are laid off and later return.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.

Haters gonna hate

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Dawn should have stayed otherwise it is fine. And I am happy about Brock being replaced.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Blog Entries

Not Really because you get use to them after a time.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Both yes and no, really. Yes, because I hate to see some of my favorite characters on the show being mutilated and completely changed in personality and appearance (and in voice as far as the dub goes). No, because we're going to reach an absurd number of characters in the show, and you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. I think it's time the writers really work with what they have, though. I'd like to see the dub rehiring the original voice actors in their main roles if Natochenny and company are unable to continue as the characters as well if illness or injury etc. occur.

Both yes and no. I do get tired of some characters, so it's sometimes ok to change. But sometimes it's annoying. Cilan is way too similar to Brock, if they're going to change characters they should at least make them different. And don't make the older ones disappear, we could meet up with them later in the anime rather than never see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfangirl22 View Post
    Some times like this series I am, other times like with May or Dawn I'm not. Its a mix bad for me, I'm curious about what every one else feels, thanks =]
    It depends on who they replace them with. If they replace them with "do nothings" then no. But if they replace them with "do somethings for more than 10 episodes" then sure. Because believe it or not, each character does get boring at times so changing it up once in a while is good.

Follow Icy Angel on Tumblr Visit Icy Angel's Youtube Channel

Sometimes I'm happy that they replace the characters. Except, when the characters are absolutely amazing (like Misty and Brock).
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE THE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Yeah, I like that they replace characters. I never liked Misty or May and Brock got old and stale. Dawn was nice, but still, having Iris take her place kept things fresh as always. Plus, I love Iris's hair and we never see many dark-skinned characters in the show or games. Cilan is my favorite character in the show EVER too. <3

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Main strife i have with character replacing is writers tendency to either leave character story unfinished or donpt bring any substance into their growth to begin with making it pointless to get rid of someone if he has potential to be done more.,

If there exist room and potential to explore more on character flaws, pokemon and goals there is no reason to replace them. Otherwise whats the point of introducing them in anime in first place if writers will leave what they started about character unfinished leaving untapped potential unused?

I mean it was obvious how with May there existed, still exists potential to grow forward. Such as developing new style as coordinator still showing how she didn't stepped out from Ash shadow,do steps forward toward her goal winning Gran Festival and develop new pokemon and potential rivals. Heck Soledad after winning one GF went to other regions to compete and win new tournaments striving to become top coordinator in world and not of just one region and if Wallace was someone to judge there exist higher rank to achieve:contest master.

Misty is self explanatory. Her goal of water master was left on big part unexplored and just when writers started to discover it showing steps you need to achieve to come closer through Whirl Cup she left shortly after that leaving more to be desired. We could have seen her continuing to work toward becoming water master entering various competitions(races, underwater matches, tournaments etc are few of several options out there). Build on her pokemon team like Starmie, Horsea, Psyduck especially but skills as well learning to overcome her pokemon weakness to grass, electric types and sharp her skills, reveal more about past and open potentially new subplots to enrich here story and do continuation,. Trying to become some powerful water trainer apprentice(like Lorelei or Wallace)with purpose of becoming E4 is one of many other available option to take her in new direction and do significant growth too entering tasks to show her skills and potential being some sort of evaluation to determine if shes worthy enough to become someone student.

We all know how E4 members are basically one type masters, showing how there existed room to be done more.

Or what about Tracey??? Poor guy got not character development at all, his backstory is completely unknown and writers never fleshed out his personality and dreams to any extent being replaced so soon. What a missed opportunity.

More so why constantly bring new companions when there exist room and established groundwork with previous characters where writers could just pick up from where they stopped breathing new life into their stories and characterization advancing forward?

I mean why not for change take different approach with cast cycling by reusing previous characters creating sequel and working more on what they started before? Imo it would be alot more fresh for change to follow story of already somewhat developed character going on bigger things, and see in what new exciting directions writers can take them. With older friends we can see them evolve and grow as persons more, with interaction changing and going to different level. Which would be more interesting and refreshing to see for a change, since with new characters there doesn't exist background, established relationships and groundwork to expand upon and inject more subtle changes to their story.

Maybe its just me, but i would rather have pokemon be more like One Piece, Naruto, Winx etc. Not to have same mature content, but more in sense of having constant, continuity based storyline with characters we grew up growing in new, fresh directions gradually developing instead of getting constantly new ones being deprived of chances to ever get stable cast.

Character replacing isn't fresh if its done all the time, and personally
    i would be more interested if instead of new companion for 6th generation we had Misty, May, Cilan, Brock or Dawn come back taking them forward and picking up from where they stopped, Rather than usual predictable going from scratch having some new girl learning basics and rudimentary things we followed with previous companions so many times already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    Initially I didn't like character replacing since I was just a child when it first happened and I disliked seeing one of my favorite characters leave and be replaced by an annoying newbie. Then it got worse when Dawn came.

However, now I'm okay with character replacing since I've become much older and become easily bored with watching the same people do the same thing over and over. I need new characters with different goals and personalities to add a scene of freshness to the show. Not to mention seeing a large variety of Pokémon on the main cast. So I truly am happy that characters do get replaced once their saga is over.
    Can't older character have variety of new pokemon, explore on various personality traits being enriched with new quirks and knowledge as result of growth and get build up on story through new, fresh subplots though?
    I could count from top of mind at least 10 different shows out there which keep same cast and keep them fresh by expanding on their stories being taken in new, unexpected directions with purpose of progressing further.

Its just i feel how there is such thing as constant character replacing reaching point of becoming excessive, having already more than enough interesting material to build upon with already existing companions.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Can't older character have variety of new pokemon, explore on various personality traits being enriched with new quirks and knowledge as result of growth and get build up on story through new, fresh subplots though?
    I could count from top of mind at least 10 different shows out there which keep same cast and keep them fresh by expanding on their stories being taken in new, unexpected directions with purpose of progressing further.

Its just i feel how there is such thing as constant character replacing reaching point of becoming excessive, having already more than enough interesting material to build upon with already existing companions.
    Of course they could have given older characters new pokemon, though I personally wouldn't like that. Obviously excluding Ash, I don't like characters to leave behind their old Pokémon and catch more instead of continuing to work on the ones they already have. This is one on the reasons I prefer character replacement rather than Pokémon replacement.

I would be welcome to watching have further development to further reach their goal, however, I wouldn't want that to last longer than it needs to. Seeing one character stay for multiple sagas would eventually become boring. I'd rather a character reach their full potential during their saga, therefore preventing them from needing any further expansion. I mean, were we supposed to continue to watch May or Dawn until they won a Grand Festival before moving on to a new character? And waiting for Iris to become a dragon master would obviously take forever with her methods of training.

I do agree with you that constantly replacing old characters does get annoying, especially when none of them, besides Brock maybe, ever had their story finalized. However, I personally become bored quite easily with watching characters do the exact same thing for multiple years. Even with new subplots it would eventually get annoying imo.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraa View Post
    Of course they could have given older characters new pokemon, though I personally wouldn't like that. Obviously excluding Ash, I don't like characters to leave behind their old Pokémon and catch more instead of continuing to work on the ones they already have. This is one on the reasons I prefer character replacement rather than Pokémon replacement.
    To be fair its not like they don't receive new pokemon either way when making guest appearance, and dont work on older ones once they leave. Since they aren't anymore relevant to story with there not existing need to invest more in their growth.

I would be welcome to watching have further development to further reach their goal, however, I wouldn't want that to last longer than it needs to. Seeing one character stay for multiple sagas would eventually become boring. I'd rather a character reach their full potential during their saga, therefore preventing them from needing any further expansion. I mean, were we supposed to continue to watch May or Dawn until they won a Grand Festival before moving on to a new character? And waiting for Iris to become a dragon master would obviously take forever with her methods of training.

I do agree with you that constantly replacing old characters does get annoying, especially when none of them, besides Brock maybe, ever had their story finalized. However, I personally become bored quite easily with watching characters do the exact same thing for multiple years. Even with new subplots it would eventually get annoying imo.
    No one expects that they achieve their dream at age of 10 (although Dawn almost did almost winning GF and becoming top coordinator). But way i look at it, it would be much more interesting and fresh for change to capitalize on someone who proved to be likable and successful investing more in already developed story of someone to some extent, have them go through deeper growth and introduce meaningful obstacles and things from past which influence their story in longer run. Meaning not seeing them doing same thing over and over again, but evolve and receive changes as they continue to develop.

Something you can't experience with new additions since they don't have history, established friendship with others to allow to take interacting to higher level passing point of basic introduction and growing to appreciate others along with not being develop to point which would allow to take them further doing continuation.

After all isn't point of this anime to have Ash and friends explore world of pokemon, build on friendship bringing humor and fun interactions, learn new things and advance their own dreams and careers?
    To have continuation being made instead of everything being left open, hanging in air, to learn more about character himself and past being showed doing steps forward ad coming closer to it. To follow way through which someone comes closer toward his destination by achieving significant things , than just seeing act of something being accomplished?

Something which lose on its significance when you constantly replace characters, not allowing to utilize already existing ones to full potential and tie up what was established about his/her dreams and story in first place defeating point of introducing someone. When with each companion we wont be seeing them developed to deeper degree, reach apex of their abilities ending unfinished and erased never to be seen again in order to make room for new(insert number here)boy or girl ending in same boat anyway.

You brought up May. Ok let say she returns instead of new girl for example. We could have seen her developing her own battle style as coordinator finding balance between battling and appealing aspect with her style being too similar to trainer battles at times breaking free from Ash influence, further develop rivalry between her and others while introducing new ones to her own story. Have her after winning Grand Festival pursue other tasks to achieve like Soledad did in order to make name for herself not just in one, but multiple regions. Go in direction Wallace did in order to become contest master introducing whole new set of tasks needed to accomplish to achieve such thing.
    No fun in everything happening of screen.

As for others like Misty and amount of potential she has to be done more, Max etc i already covered that up in previous posts.

Giving older character another chance in series way i see it isn't step down, but step forward because it means developing character further, giving him more development and working with someone who was already somewhat developed having established groundwork taking him in new,fresh and undiscovered directions.

I mean i certainly don't need 20+ traveling companions lingering around Ash just to see them replaced halfway developed with open story,nor i see point becoming ridiculous. So far we have 8 companions Ash traveled with, and i keep wandering how many more new companions do we really need, because constant replacing leads nowhere when we have several interesting characters in who writers could put more work doing sequel to their stories.

Something other anime like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Winx, DBZ and others do much better. Or Inazuma Eleven, Beyblade or Bakugan which while do change characters too don't do it on such excessive scale like Pokemon does keeping previous characters relevant by picking up from where they stopped and bringing older cast in future sagas where they could contribute to current plot or advance their own story further.

Obviously no one expects this how to contain such development and level of maturity, but it could surely have more stable cast,more continuity and cohesive storytelling on which writers build up. Something which its impossible to achieve when you constantly abandon work you started with already existing companions having everything went down the gutter.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 11th June 2013 at 09:52 AM.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Heck, no. Theres no point in replacing characters except to piss people off who like them (taking out Misty is one thing, but replacing Brock AGAIN??? REALLY?), its not fair to the fans.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

@pokemon fan 132; True, you could continue to watch older characters grow and develop, but I'd prefer it if it was during their own saga. For me, watching older characters continue past their saga, like seeing May in Sinnoh, would eventually become boring since we'd been with her for like 3 years already. Not to mention that any improvements to them would be quite similar to things they'd already done. If May and Dawn had continued past their sagas, they'd probably only be working on new contest skills and entering more contests, the same thing they'd be doing when they left the main cast. Even with new situations, it's still the same person with the same personality doing the same thing and I personally would see that as being quite boring after a long time. Not to mention the possibility of that being a character I really dislike. For example, I really dislike Dawn, so I wouldn't want to see her for multiple regions. With newer characters, we have the opportunity grow attachments to them instead of having to watch a disliked character for years.

I don't want to give off the impression that I don't think the writers could expand on a character for more than one region and continue to give them new ways to grow and work further on their goals, but I personally don't think I could stay interested in that for very long. I just need new people and new situations to keep the show feeling fresh.
    Caseydia likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Heck, no. Theres no point in replacing characters except to piss people off who like them (taking out Misty is one thing, but replacing Brock AGAIN??? REALLY?), its not fair to the fans.
    I disagree. There is a point in replacing the characters and it isn't just to make people upset. They replace them to market the new games. I can understand why people wouldn't like that, but they don't do it just to upset the fans, especially when I think a good portion, if not all of the fans who get really upset over characters being replaced are well outside of the target audience for the show in the first place.
    Caseydia likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast