Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

I’ve seen Misty return for a two-parter in Advanced Generation, May return for the Wallace Cup arc in Diamond & Pearl, and Dawn return for the World Cup in Best Wishes. Frankly, I’d argue that the only one of these major returns that was actually good was May’s because she could actually add something to DP (her and Dawn both being Coordinators, which obviously wouldn’t apply in today’s anime). The others, who added nothing, ended up feeling like they were there just to be there (and I’ll just go ahead and predict now that when/if Iris makes her cameo in XY, it’ll be the same). In order for the return of an older character to improve anything, there needs to be something entertaining that they can contribute to the development of one of the current main characters (Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena) or to the larger story and I can’t think of a single character that could do either.

If the show were going to bring back older characters, I’d like it to be something like the usual “return to Pallet Town, go off a new journey” episode at the end of a region. After all, none of this is to say that it wouldn't be nice to see some old characters again. But I don’t really see any of them doing anything to improve the show’s quality overall. At best, it'd just be a nice nostalgia thing.

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Quote Originally Posted by PiccoloX83 View Post
    Brock always improves the series. The other characters, not so much.

Cha cha cha!

Attachment 92533
    it's funny you say this as Brock is the most bland character in the show post-Johto.
    Your Name Please

Blog Entries

Well, i think it strongly depends on how these old characters are brougth back. If they start bringing back Ash's old "nemesis" and his former companions but still lack of character developement in terms of personality and skills, then i don't think it'll make much difference. I think that it would help a lot if the charcters presented were more complete in these aspects, wehether they are older ones or new ones (personally, i would love to see some old characters given the chance to fullfil their old goals and wishes, but even if the ones given this "chance" were not that old it would probably be good to the series too.)

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally i don't view return of older characters necessarily as way to pander to older fans. Maybe partially which wouldn't seem like bad strategy since long term speaking more viewers means more customers which watch show and buy merchandize products, which leads to increase of ratings and more money.

But primarily i would consider revival of popular male and female leads as writers investing more in companions which showed to have requirements to bring necessary appeal and charisma to hook viewers on building on show continuity, more glued/cohesive storyline and better storytelling setting predispositions to create formula which could become appealing toward wider group of people.

Each of previous companions left in way which allows for sequel of his own development and story to be made. For instance May didn't became top coordinator and she still has room left to grow having unresolved issues with rivals, not finding her own style as coordinator with influence of Ash still showing to be present to degree, so in case of there appearing potential to contribute to current story and advertize new games(like RS remakes for example?)why not make good use of her?

Misty never became water pokemon master with writers leaving things unfinished and undefined with plots, dreams and motivations. Allowing to do logical progression from current position be it following Wallace footsteps to improve skills and come one step closer toward becoming renowned and wold class water expert, expand on what Whirl Cup introduced making step further in quest of becoming master. Trying to reach E4 position or becoming powerful water trainer apprentice would be logical and natural way of progression too tying her into current main storyline by looking for new ways to improve techniques and battle evaluators to determine if she is worthy for position.
    Living up to E4 Lorelei making her both relevant to plot and influence Ash growth by giving him insight in how E4 works getting to know their strength and weakness revealing to him more about ways how to earn right to challenge and beat them.

Brock seems to be traveling again if last special was something to go by, so his story path could intertwine with Ash's again informing us more about his doctor career how far he progressed in his attempts of becoming doctor. Perhaps there could be held symposium for doctors in Kalos and ways to learn about mnore efficient, revolutionary ways of healing pokemon while helping Ash and pother pokemon in case they get injured or sick collecting valuable new knowledge in case of confronting new species reacting differently to potions than older ones would observing their anatomy.

Etc, etc.

Writers can and always will find reason to bring back previous character and make him important in storyline so thats not what i consider to be an issue, but more as would staff be able to keep up with pace and maintain steam reuse of older characters changing show structure and current formula would bring?

Dont get me wrong, in end whether quality would improve, decline or stay same in case of retuzrn older faces ultimately depends on writers and their idea how pokemon series should be written.

But at same time one of most important thing required to have stable story, strong continuity and endearing characterization which supports importance of friendship and consistent following lies in keeping links to roots of story you started in first place, characters which allowed that something gets developed and promoted on global basis making plot and tale your trying to told more believable, credible and filled with substance.
    Which is something we all want and expect from anime we are watching.

And by return of popular older character this is possible to achieve being one step forward toward more quality based pokemon show, due to giving insight in past events which molded course of narrative, characters and plots which amounted to growth and hard work done prior to reaching point on which characters and story are standing right now.

Making it feel like you have story which is going somewhgere, how journey strong chemistry and friendship between characters, their dreams and all hard work they invested in accomplishing their aims was worth it, paying of in end. When you finally bring those from past back,explore on various quirks, fears and dimensions of their personality evolving on dynamic giving out feeling of inseparate commrades whose stories are intertwined depending on each other and doing build up on their story and development expanding on issues from past which may catch up on them whgen they reach certain point in development, go on next, higher level in their careers dealing with more demanding challenges, trainers and obstacles to overcome showuing that they came closer toward their ultimate destination.

Or even developing higher ambitions as result of growing and chamges through life which affected them continuing from where writers left things.

Which would without doubt in my mind be step toward more game changing formula by adding new innovations, and something untried before in pokemon helping in keeping ties with history strengthening continuity, have better developed cast and keep show fresh.

It might not automatically make it better, but it would give the show a fair chance.
    Iris and Cilan are awful. Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena were even worse. Cilan kind of felt like a failed attempt to make a different Brock.
    I want Brock and Dawn or Misty back!!!!!!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567