Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

No it won't. The writing needs to improve alot if the show's quality is going to improve. Bringing back an older character with the writing as it is now would just ruin an older character, which is exactly what happened with Dawn.

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Unless they actually give those other older characters that had barely nothing to do, do something useful then sure. But if they are going to come back and do nothing, then no.

I'm not going to say yes or no. I'll just say it depends.
    White FC: 0218 6574 2961
    Black 2 FC: 1722 2422 0764

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brock staying for a long period of time, Misty during Johto, and Gary's lackluster DP return proves it depends on the handling than the actual characters.

All signs point to no though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Brock staying for a long period of time, Misty during Johto, and Gary's lackluster DP return proves it depends on the handling than the actual characters.

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.
    White FC: 0218 6574 2961
    Black 2 FC: 1722 2422 0764

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We've already had examples of Misty/Brock being in the anime a long time. It wasn't good. Gary's return in DP wasn't good.

We've already seen examples of this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

They did a really good job with bringing back Charizard, at least for now. The episode where he returns was certainly much better done than Dawn making a comeback for the Junior Cup.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

I don't see how this proves anything?

Your using as indication of how will show quality look like outdated regions like Johto completely ignoring small detail of writing actually being improved in several aspects since then. Which isn't valid example to go by. Let alone random appearances of individual characters whose return you didn't liked like Gary, while ignoring Misty or May returns in AG and DP which were generally well accepted embellishing group dynamics and adding more life and creativity with their unexpected returns. To extent same applies to Dawn whose return at least upgraded interactions among characters making things more exciting.

Speaking of Misty while she could have been used more development in Johto she still gained more than lost from longer stay because we were able to learn more about her past and motives getting to know her better(such as expanding on her love for water types, learning how to establish bond with water pokemon like Marill or Poliwhirl etc),we were able to see her progress further both in character and trainer sense getting some great and significant development in end(such as overcoming sisters complex, maturing and becoming more confident and enriching her team with several new pokemon) being given more layers and dimensions as character, while still providing fun interactions and lot of sarcasm and witty jokes through strong presence.

Same applies to Brock he had pretty good treatment for older male sidekick in OS and AG building on his breeding career learning how to prepare various potions and medicines, caught impressive collection of pokemon and had multiple memorable moments, with his neglect not really happening until DP due to writers lack of vision to take him forward and too much emphasis on two main starts Dawn and Ash and develop of their roles at expense of others.

How will older character be treated can't be based on random pulled out from context moments where we may feel he didn't live up to his standards, but on overall state in which show is currently set, on writing quality and whether things have improved in meantime or not being accompanied with character goal, personality and story and whether his/her presence could help move things forward and bring something positive for series with his presence.

Way i see it in theory any older character can comeback if writers choose to do so, with plotlines through which they removed them from cast being artificial reasons which has no bearing on such decisions. Since they have power when doing further continuation of character story to make Ash and previous companions life paths crossroad again, and help push forward current story, contribute to other companion growth, imbue anime with more continuity and references to past being treated as compact story while experiencing some valuable growth themselves raising up appeal of dynamics between Ash and his friends to higher level.

Bringing overall more excitement and entertainment value through fresh unexpected returns and creative ideas writers may come up with to make them relevant again.

I think they can't really improve the quality of the show anymore. I mean, most of the complaints I've heard about the show mainly revolve around having Ash as a Protagonist. They can't bring back old characters to improve the show when all of the complaints come from Ash. I personally think they should do something like Pokemon Special for the Anime.
    "Drown in Despair. This is the power of Madara Uchiha! Divine Power!"
    "Love is not necessary. Power is the only TRUE necessity!"
    "Oh, so they stopped the first meteor?...Let's see them stop the second one."

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

There is no doubt in my mind that the writing changing when characters are replaced.

So far other than Takeshi coming back to the cast, the only times we've seen characters return it has been for a few episodes. Those episodes have been written with the fact that they'd be leaving in mind and clearly have the purpose of providing a bit of nostalgia. As the series has gone on this fan service has become less blatant and more under a part of the plot. There are two things that could be assumed from this. Either that the writers felt that character come backs weren't that important in comparison to the other action or that they felt that it was simply better advertising for the series that was going on at the time. The first one seems less likely since the length of episodes that characters come back has increased. The second one seems more likely since the coming back characters have tended to be written with the series that they're appearing in's writing. (I hope that that makes sense sorry.) Overall, though there is nothing to suggest that they could do this on a longer term. However, it is hard to say that it couldn't.

Takeshi coming permanently back to the cast was not handled that well. He was left for many episodes at a time and slowly became a blander character, especially in comparison to the fresher characters around him. Whilst I think that his development in DP was awesome (when it was shown) it's not that surprising that many people didn't notice it. He had been a running gag/battle commentator/cook for too long. That said one character is not a statistic. It is possible that the writers could have improved a lot if they decided to try again. I think though that if they did it would only be possible if (like in the shorter appearances) it was with a different group from who they were originally.

It is possible that the shows quality could improve from bringing back old characters (not a given but possible). However, there is always the staleness to worry about. I can see why the writers prefer to think 'Lets introduce new ones and save all the hassle'.
    Nymphia likes this.

Blog Entries

For a past main character return to being main character, there could be a series of things that must happen prior to it:

-First and all, the series couldn't be like Best Wishes 1. For obvious reasons.

-Second, the anime has to be "worried" before they plan any return. In other words they must dropped ratings and/or merchandise before the return.

-Third, if the character is related to a feature, said feature would have appear in the games.

-Fourth, the character should have replaced not too long ago. And the character should be known to at least part of the target audience.

-Fifth, the older character has a pokemon that is known to be very popular before returns to the cast. Preferably, said pokemon is recommend to appear in some sets that is associated with current pokemon to be a hint.

-Sixth, there's has been known that the current character is less relatively popular than the former character.

-Seventh, he past character was replaced and the audience react negatively about it. Specially if the reason of leaving is bull.

-Eight, to many changes in the past could have affected the anime negatively. If there's possible, you should have hints of that (DP Special isn't a reason to return, Dawn0s cameo and his promotion is and although for chenging the attitude, TR Radio show is a hint

And with this, you must know:
    -That the writers will prefer characters from the current games as opposed to past games. For obvious reasons.

-That nostalgia for a few fans isn't a reason to return, specially from older fans. Nostalgia alone don't do anything. Specially if the character was replaced too long ago.

-To many changes in the past could have affected the anime negatively.

-The new character must be not liked by the fans and do something that's very unpopular.

And this:
    It's one of the most powertul tolls that the anime has to attract to the audience. Mainly, because its rarity to happen. And the writers aren't doing it except in special circunstances where the anime is "forced". And if the writers decided to return a character, it will be very difficult to leave him in years. One of the reason why Brock was kept until 2010 is because the writers aren't risking a Brock leave because they needed to return him.

In other words, it's a "last resort" tool that the anime has.

Coooooooooooooould it happen? (Remember it's rarity). I have to said that if condition 3 is true, yes (==/== happening, remember). One older character are start having some of the features that I explained here.

But the trick is that in part, this apply to changes in personalities when they are very drastic like Team Rocket in BW with the thing that they aren't exactly returning any character.

And remember, when a character leave or change his personality, the writers aren't doing it for reverting the change in a few years. The writers , when Brock, left, don't planned him for return (like Scott said); and when TR are serious, they don't planned to be funny (if they are returning funny) later.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GO, GO, GO, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I want to start with XY as soon as is possible.

I have unpopular opinions: I prefer an older character returning but it isn't from the original trio. I was one of the few who liked both DP and BW. And I think that TR shouldn't leave in the anime.

Past characters don't real change the quality of any show. It depends on the writing. When Dawn was brought back, did that stop the show from sucking? No. When Charizard was brought back, is that going to carry the whole show to being great? No. It depends on the writing and the plots.

Dex

Without good writing it is pointless. That said, IF the writing were better, I think it would be a good idea. I did like how Brock stayed for quite a while. I almost think at least one character from previous seasons should be kept at all times, I think it helps make for smoother transitions and a generally more interlocked story. And I don't mean as a short gimmick, I mean as a full-time traveling companion.
    Last edited by Dex; 22nd March 2013 at 02:32 PM.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

Go home Kalos rivers, you're drunk.
    My URPG Stats

I think the anime would improve if they moved away from this endless cycle called Ash's dream. Seriously they should let him accomplish it then be done with it. Beating every region would be better then going to a new region becaise he got his butt kicked in the last one.

Blog Entries

It's not that black and white (no pun intended)

For me and many others, yes it would greatly improve if some older characters were brought back. At the same time, if older chatacters were brought back it would probably annoy some people to the point of disliking the show. So yes and no, depends on the viewer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast