Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 94
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

  1. #31
    ポケモンマスター はるひ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    亜米利加合衆国
    Posts
    445
    Blog Entries
    132
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    No. It will bring back more viewers, yes but it won't really improve the quality. A show can have a million viewers and still have low quality episodes.

  2. #32
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Quote Originally Posted by agramugl View Post
    ...wait, what? I missed something. What does this mean...? :D
    They're appearing in the next episode, but the chances are excellent that it will be in flashback since they haven't appeared in any of the promos for the episodes unlike with Charizard.

  3. #33
    Registered User Orange Islands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    How about all of them. including Gary, Harley, Drew, Berry, Paul, Bianca, Burgundy, and Georgia travel around together as a huge group? Just think of all the funny high jinks that can happen with that.

  4. #34
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    I disagree with the OP, the show has other problems but not bigger ones. Besides if old characters came back they can easily be overlooked.

  5. #35
    Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    352
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    I could probably overlook them myself, but they would still be there. Whereas bringing back older characters might address a few issues, it wouldn't make the show itself much better imo (though it would at least be nice to know they still cared about them).

  6. #36
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Let's see:

    - Gary returned in DP and nobody cared.

    - Dawn's cameo in Best Wishes was lukewarm at best.

    - Brock staying for DP just completely ruined his character

    - Team Rocket feel like they're on their last legs

    - Misty's AG cameos were too brief to get much of an opinion (the writers literally only allowed her to stay for 2 episodes, both times)

    - May obviously couldn't co-exist with another female coordinator on the cast at the time


    So no, it wouldn't.
    The Network likes this.

  7. #37
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    - Brock staying for DP just completely ruined his character
    I don't think that staying for DP ruined his character. He got some decent focus episodes and a more important role with the Team Galactic conflict. They could have done more with him, but I don't think he was ruined by staying that long.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    - Misty's AG cameos were too brief to get much of an opinion (the writers literally only allowed her to stay for 2 episodes, both times)
    I'm not sure how two episodes are too brief to get much of an opinion on, although I think I liked her second cameo just because she had more interactions with the other characters than she did in the Togepi episodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    - May obviously couldn't co-exist with another female coordinator on the cast at the time
    True, but they at least did a good job with showing how far May had come while also advancing Dawn's storyline.

    Still, I agree that bringing back older characters wouldn't improve the show's overall quality. It would be nice for their fans to see them again, but it wouldn't fix all of the problems the show already has and would probably just add more if they were in the cast again.

  8. #38
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    - Brock staying for DP just completely ruined his character
    I don't think that staying for DP ruined his character. He got some decent focus episodes and a more important role with the Team Galactic conflict. They could have done more with him, but I don't think he was ruined by staying that long.
    I'm more inclined to agree with The Fighting Misty myself (though you know I don't like DP's Brock as a character compared to Brock's earlier incarnations, and his dub voice in S12-13 only made it worse for me to see him that way). I mean, I don't think DP Brock was a bad character, and he DID have his shining moments. I think it's that his character wasn't given enough attention that made him sour on me for some reason. Yeah, Brock's perverted gags got really old by AG, but he himself is a cool, nice character despite being a pervert master. I just don't feel DP did him justice, and he was always tertiary to both Ash and Dawn. This is one of the main reasons why I did not like DP myself.

  9. #39
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    I'm more inclined to agree with The Fighting Misty myself (though you know I don't like DP's Brock as a character compared to Brock's earlier incarnations, and his dub voice in S12-13 only made it worse for me to see him that way). I mean, I don't think DP Brock was a bad character, and he DID have his shining moments. I think it's that his character wasn't given enough attention that made him sour on me for some reason. Yeah, Brock's perverted gags got really old by AG, but he himself is a cool, nice character despite being a pervert master. I just don't feel DP did him justice, and he was always tertiary to both Ash and Dawn. This is one of the main reasons why I did not like DP myself.
    His gag got old for me back in AG, but DP made it funny again with Croagunk. It wasn't always funny, but it was never annoying like with Misty and Max pulling on his ears like they were made out of rubber. I watched through DP again last year and I thought that he was handled fairly decently. While he didn't get as much focus as Ash and Dawn did, most of his focus episodes were still pretty good and he was still a likable character. They could have had more buildup to him becoming a Doctor and done more with him, but I don't think that DP ruined his character. Seeing him join the cast again wouldn't really fix anything though, as the case with any of the older characters returning.

  10. #40
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    I'm more inclined to agree with The Fighting Misty myself (though you know I don't like DP's Brock as a character compared to Brock's earlier incarnations, and his dub voice in S12-13 only made it worse for me to see him that way). I mean, I don't think DP Brock was a bad character, and he DID have his shining moments. I think it's that his character wasn't given enough attention that made him sour on me for some reason. Yeah, Brock's perverted gags got really old by AG, but he himself is a cool, nice character despite being a pervert master. I just don't feel DP did him justice, and he was always tertiary to both Ash and Dawn. This is one of the main reasons why I did not like DP myself.
    His gag got old for me back in AG, but DP made it funny again with Croagunk. It wasn't always funny, but it was never annoying like with Misty and Max pulling on his ears like they were made out of rubber. I watched through DP again last year and I thought that he was handled fairly decently. While he didn't get as much focus as Ash and Dawn did, most of his focus episodes were still pretty good and he was still a likable character. They could have had more buildup to him becoming a Doctor and done more with him, but I don't think that DP ruined his character. Seeing him join the cast again wouldn't really fix anything though, as the case with any of the older characters returning.
    Eh, fair enough. To each their own. :)

  11. #41
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    It wasn't just Brock himself that was handled badly, its him still being there arguably made Dawn less interesting too as well as the DP trio. It goes to show you how group dynamics with good character chemistry helps keep the female character interesting too.

    I noticed a lot of people got bored of Dawn as DP started progressing in the second half, and I think it wasn't Dawn herself, it was the dullness of the DP trio as a group.

  12. #42
    STYLIN' The Network's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Hangout
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    @topic-

    what
    fuck no, that has nothing to do with the quality.
    that is all

  13. #43
    *trips* Xita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    321
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    A lot of older fans would come back, but in the long run it isn't a satisfying option. It's nice but it's unnecessary, the show has more problems than that.

  14. #44
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Honestly, I'm not sure. Depends on how they are handled and treated by the writers (and in English, the dubbers).
    Caseydia likes this.

  15. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

    Of the trio the only character I like is Dent. Even so I don't see more purpose to him to continue traveling than Takeshi had when going to Shin'o.
    Actually, Dent never had a reason to BEGIN travelling.

    I like Takeshi and really couldn't see him as a dead weight in DP (I did see him like that in Joutou and most of AG), but I think another series with him would make me sick of the character. Besides, I have to admit I don't want more of gags with someone/something interrupting him from flirting random pretty girls.

    And any episode with Kasumi on it immediately becomes a torture to watch for me. You have no idea the joy I felt when she left in the final OS episode and how worried I was when she almost joined the team in the beginning of the Battle Frontier journey.

    I don't think they need to bring any old characters back. I think it's best to leave them as they are. They just need to stop trying to make clones of old characters. And stop letting Satoshi be the only one with a meaningful journey.
    This is why I liked Haruka and Hikari so much. They didn't have a vague goal like Iris or Kasumi because we saw them actively training and being challenged for it all the time. They were actually co-starring with Satoshi. Give me another trainer like that. Heck, give me an entire TRIO like that!

    All in all I'd say they need to try harder with character personalities. I find it amusing how there have been so many NPCs made for few episodes or even less than 5 minutes of an episode that looked far more interesting than the important characters they've pulled in this series.

    And more importantly, Rocket Dan needs to be fun again. If they're gonna continue acting like every generic villain in the series they might as well as remove them from the anime completely.


    One thing I believe the series didn't screw up ever since AG is with the Pokémon themselves. I don't like the species they picked for Best Wishes, but at least most of them still have more personality than the humans. It's why I prefer the anime so much over the games.

    Oh and I'm gonna take a wild guess in that people claim to get bored of the DP trio because Hikari and Satoshi weren't into each other's throats? Personally I loved how they acted like a real team supporting each other, and how Takeshi played his 'responsible older friend' role actively in some episodes. Had enough of cliche hero and heroine arguing every episode after Joutou.
    Caseydia likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •