Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Will Rip Titles 4 Money marioluigifan05's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow marioluigifan05 On Twitter Add marioluigifan05 on Facebook Add marioluigifan05 on Google+ Add marioluigifan05 on MySpace
    Add marioluigifan05 on Linkedin Follow marioluigifan05 on Tumblr Follow marioluigifan05 on Flickr Visit marioluigifan05's Youtube Channel

Default Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

Will automatically improve the quality of the show, or at least make it more enjoyable for you? Whether your missed character is May, Dawn, Brock, Misty, or even Max or Tracey, do you think their presence will improve the show? Why or why not?

Personally, I think having Misty, Tracey and/or Brock will make it more enjoyable for me, but I don't think it will automatically make it good, considering the show now has other (and bigger) problems than a character not being there. At least one of them being there might fix a few personal gripes I have with it, but not all of them. It would really depend on how they handle them now.

What do you think?

Edit: It didn't go through when I tried to post it in the Pokemon League, can someone move it there? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by marioluigifan05; 21st February 2013 at 07:14 PM.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Default Re: For those who miss old characters from Brock-Dawn, do you think bringing them bac

Threads posted in the Pokemon League are put under moderation until the anime staff decides on whether or not it belongs there. If this thread here fits in the League, we will move it and notify you. :> Secondly, I'm going to change the thread's title to make it more indicative of the thread's topic.

Now, on the topic of the thread, no. Outside of cameos and special episodes, I don't think they should come back. Those characters had their chance to shine, and I think the show should concentrate on newer characters.
    Last edited by Karamazov; 21st February 2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Default Re: For those who miss old characters from Brock-Dawn, do you think bringing them bac

Not at all. It depends on if the actual episodes they're in are good.

Dawn just returned and many feel her cameo was disappointing and wasted, so there you go.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

No.

Remember the Dawn miniarc?

There's your answer.

Default Re: Would the show's quality improve if old characters were brought back?

No, bringing them back won't inherently make the series better.

...but bringing them back with a good story, good intentions, and when in a natural, not forced into the plot for fanservice way? Yeah, I'd see that.

The problem with many of the cameos that have happened is that the characters aren't always organically woven into the story. I would LOVE to see Misty appear again on the show personally, but there needs to be a reason why she should come back from Kanto beyond just missing Ash. Like, something to build up to. Like, a multi-episode arc across regions. THAT would be cool!

...then again, I just love epic story lines...

No, bringing back characters won't be an inherently good idea unless good writers do the episodes.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think that the show would improve just because they bring back older characters. Dawn's cameo episodes in BW were generally considered bad and her entire cameo felt pointless as a result. The quality of the episodes themselves matter more than if they bring back older characters or not. Personally, I wouldn't want them to return to the main cast for more than a cameo or special. While it would be nice to see some of the older characters again, I prefer to see some new characters get a chance to shine and develop, instead of the writers trying to do more with older characters when they already had most of them for at least one series.

Nope. Bringing back old characters won't do a thing fix bad writing & characterizations

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Under normal circumstances, no. To echo what has already been said - bringing back older characters won't automatically make the anime more enjoyable, either from a personal or writing standpoint.

Characters =/= Writing

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

NOPE! See Dawn's set of new episodes and some of the episodes past BW083 that feature some older gen pokemon such as Buizel and Corphish. Reappearances are meaningless in quality if the writing still is bad

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

It depends upon the writers, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Follow marioluigifan05 On Twitter Add marioluigifan05 on Facebook Add marioluigifan05 on Google+ Add marioluigifan05 on MySpace
    Add marioluigifan05 on Linkedin Follow marioluigifan05 on Tumblr Follow marioluigifan05 on Flickr Visit marioluigifan05's Youtube Channel

Just to make something clear, I'm not so much asking if slapping an old character or two into the show as a desperate ratings trap will make it better just because they're there, as much as I'm asking if having them will improve the overall show, if they add something to it? For me, certain aspects will be improved, but at the same time, the show has other (and bigger) problems, as stated before.

Other than being fresh for a little while, the characters would go back to being as stale as they were when they left. The same problems those characters had in the end of their run would be back because there would be no difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Other than being fresh for a little while, the characters would go back to being as stale as they were when they left. The same problems those characters had in the end of their run would be back because there would be no difference.
    The writers have improved at certain aspects, so staleness shouldn't be a problem now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    The writers have improved at certain aspects, so staleness shouldn't be a problem now, right?
    Considering all characters other than Tracey got at least 200 episodes of screentime and most of that was spent with them just standing on the sidelines while Ash did everything, I don't see the difference.

Even Iris and Cilan have only marginally developed since their debut episodes, and they're new characters. With BW ending in 7 months and both probably leaving the show soon, it doesn't even feel like either was used to their full potential.

Who's thread is this now I'm wondering? No. It wouldn't change anything. Infact it could make it worse. Since most have a hard time dealing with some characters on for a certain amount of time especially if they aren't doing much or doing too much, tend to be abit sore. I just want a balance with new characters. The old ones had their shots so what good will it do for Ash's sake to bring them back?

Just to make something clear, I'm not so much asking if slapping an old character or two into the show as a desperate ratings trap will make it better just because they're there, as much as I'm asking if having them will improve the overall show, if they add something to it? For me, certain aspects will be improved, but at the same time, the show has other (and bigger) problems, as stated before.
    Sticker, they are already bringing old characters back. What do you suppose Charizard and Professor Oak is? and no, the rating might not still go up if all old characters were to appear if the writing is still bad.

Even Iris and Cilan have only marginally developed since their debut episodes, and they're new characters. With BW ending in 7 months and both probably leaving the show soon, it doesn't even feel like either was used to their full potential.
    Gliscord, that's because they are game Unova regional characters. However, if they were to stay into another region, it might make them worse off. As far as potential goes, Iris is pretty much done. There really isn't much for her to do other than actually train Axew. And Cilan doesn't need anymore potential. He is above his rival and pretty much a perfectionist is a sort of way.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 27th February 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast