Will the writers ever get over the Water Bias?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Will the writers ever get over the Water Bias?

Blog Entries

Default Will the writers ever get over the Water Bias?

I've pretty much noticed an odd and annoying pattern with all the water type starters in the series that the main trios have(except one)- they never evolve to their final forms, ever. seriously look at this:

Squirtle: Ash's never evolved, may's stopped at the 2nd stage

Totodile: not evolved

Mudkip: Brock's evolved into mashtomp, but not to it's last stage

Piplup: I don't think Dawn's ever gonna evolve it

Oshawott: Ash SERIOUSLY needs to evolve it

the only times we actually see their last stages is outside of the trios (like Gary's Blastoise).

my question is, when will the writers break this trend and give a fully evolved water starter to someone in the trio?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Will the writers ever get over the Water Bias?

It honestly doesn't look too likely. I think one reason why the Water starters rarely evolve is because they tend to be seen as the cutest of the three starters and thus the most marketable for their respective generation. So, they don't evolve pass their second forms, if at all, to retain that marketability. Personally, I didn't mind with some cases like with Ash's Squirtle, Totodile and Dawn's Piplup, but I also would have liked Brock to get a Swampert so they could have had the three fully evolved Hoenn starters by the end of the AG and Oshawott evolving would be a breath of fresh air for Ash considering how many evolved Fire and Grass types he has. Still, I don't think that this will change anytime soon.
    Ambipom666 likes this.

Blog Entries

I agree. As long as the Water starter's base form is cute and marketable, they won't do it. I still hope that they'll do something else with the next water starter, though, since this curse isn't entirely the fault of that. Some of it has to do with the matter that since there was no inexperienced trainer to plug all the "how to pokemon" lessons on, Ash's pokemon didn't evolve too much. As for Mudkip, I seriously have no idea other than Brock didn't get that much attention anyway. Mudkip didn't even evo until Battle Frontier. (much much later than Torchic did) Mudkip was cursed only by being given to a bit character. Piplup was of course given co-mascot status. Osha was made to follow in it's footsteps. I will not deny it would be too easy for them to repeat it for a third time, especially if they refuse to fix the reset.

I don't think the Water starters have the real curse, though. It's Water pokemon in general owned by Ash specifically. Only one of them ever evoed, and then it was downplayed afterwards and quickly forgotten. All the others have not evolved. They dodged it with Corphish since it was comic relief, but why Buizel never did mystifies me, other than it having experienced the Curse of Beating Your Evo.
    Hidden Mew and Robo-Floatzel like this.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Remember writers' so-called dark-type bias, or their dragon-type bias? Good times...

It doesn't exist.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Remember writers' so-called dark-type bias, or their dragon-type bias? Good times...

It doesn't exist.
    I'm not so sure. Unlike with those types, they haven't shown any interest in evolving any of Ash's Water types after Kingler and the last Water starter in the main cast to get an on-screen evolution was Mudkip, which was way too late into AG in my opinion to work well. At least they have been willing to give characters Dark and Dragon types in the last couple of series, so they're at least willing to break that tradition. There's no sign that they're going to do that with Water types in the main cast. The only other fully evolved Water type to get on the main cast was Politoad and it probably helped that it still looked cute and marketable. I don't think that it's too likely that they'll give Ash a fully evolved Water type anytime soon, although I wouldn't mind it at all if they changed this tradition in the next series too.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Pretty much the only reason Oshawott and Piplup never evolved is because for advertisement purposes, I believe.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I reckon that the majority of people want Totodile to evolve and I think he will at some point.

The problem with the water types is that once they evolve they usually become medium sized, ergo too small to be tanks like Donphan or Torterra, but not agile enough for Ash's typical strategies. And in DP and AG the writers wanted certain Pokémon on the teams (i.e. Chimchar, Treeko, Snorunt) to evolve but felt they had to keep some basics on his team because of his ethos.

There probably is a marketing element of sorts.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I'm glad Ash's Corphish did not evolve, but I really HATED how Ash's Buizel did not evolve (especially since Floatzel is my favorite Pokemon, and it was only in three episodes of the entire series as far as I recall)

As for Piplup and Oshawott, as @G013M stated above the writers never evolved them because of advertising, which is a shame, since Oshawott's evolution Dewott is pretty much a fan-favorite.

Let's face it, the writers apparently think water is a boring element, yet they seem to like fire types a lot, as most of the fire types (save for Ash's Cyndaquil) have actually evolved, namely Ash's Charizard, Infernape, Pignite, and Dawn's Quilava.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know if they'll ever get over it, but they need to. They should make the next gen Water starter really ugly (oh wait... they already did that in this generation :/), so that they will be more willing to evolve it and market one of the other starters. -_-

It sucks that Oshawott likely won't evolve, since I think Dewott would fit Ash very well.

squirtle- didnt evolve bcuz of the squirtle squad and merchandising
    totodile- i dont know why he didnt evolve ash said he was going to evolve it all the way
    mudkip- it was brock's pokemon so it wouldnt get much of attention
    piplup-the mascot of diamond and pearl
    oshawott- i have a feeling it is going to evolve into dewott and thats it (would be better if it evolved to its final form)

Blog Entries

It's all about marketing, IMO. The more mascot-y Pokémon on the show, the more kids would squee over it and pester their mommies for squeetastic merchandise.

I don't think it's as much a Water-type bias as it is a cute Pokémon bias, though. It just so happens that a lot of prominent water-types are gags or mascots. And water-types are often cute. Seeing DP's ever-present Piplup evolve into either its second or final form, thereby reducing the cute mascot factor quite a bit, obviously changes things a little and "DeWHAAAT?!" wouldn't be quite the same as "OshaWHAAAAT?!".

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How can the anime writers even think Oshawott's cute? They could have made Tepig the cute one and made an awesome Dewott
    Phoenixphlare likes this.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Trophies

I dont think its a baised attitude. Admittedly Totodile was the only johto starter ash had that didnt evolve which was a mistake but at the same time I dont think any of the johto pokemon should of been evolved so with that mindset I think they did the right thing there.

I see your point but if you think about it ash's starters hardly ever fully evolve. On the top of my head Charizard, Sceptile and Torterra (sorry if I missed one). Looking at them I can see your point because the only none fully evolved type is water.

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

Registered User StrikingMidfield's Avatar

I think they want it to be so the heros in the show use Pokemon that they think are cute and that market easier. I agree though it is annoying, but at least you see a few fully evolved ones in the show.

I reckon next time Brock appears he could have a Swampert, I would love that. Also it would have been really suitable for Ash to have a Samurott.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast