Will TCPi make any efforts to do something about the 3 month dubbing gap (in the US)?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Will TCPi make any efforts to do something about the 3 month dubbing gap (in the US)?

Default Will TCPi make any efforts to do something about the 3 month dubbing gap (in the US)?

After Diamond & Pearl, Black & White and the Virbank City Gym battle, I've grown to love the fact that the anime starts at around the same time as we get the games (by US dates at least). The main reason this has been possible is because the games came out 3-6 months after Japan. But now we have a simultaneous worldwide release for the games and it would feel weird to be watching an anime based on the Decolora islands! The dubbing team has already reduced the gap from about 5 or 6 months at the start of BW to 3 months at the release of B2W2, so it seems they are capable of speeding up at least a little bit to time it for the games.

I noticed that if the dub keeps going 1 episode a week, Alexa and her Kalos Pokémon will debut in the anime shortly after X and Y are released. This would be a nice compromise but I'd still be quite annoyed. :P

So what do people think? Simultaneous dub? Utilising their gap-shortening skills again? Alexa being used instead of the actual XY anime and delaying it until next year?

I think it is worth noting that since 4kids lost the show, the dubbing team seems to have had no issue with catching up to the games. Makes you wonder if they would have a problem with a simultaneous dub or at least a dub with an even smaller gap.

And yes, this topic exists because the announcement for Pocket Monsters XY has significantly reduced my hype for the dub's Episode N conclusion and Decolora Adventure arc. :P

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Will TCPi make any efforts to do something about the 3 month dubbing gap (in the

I think the TV networks won't allow foreign channels to air their new episodes and series at the same time or before they do it by themselves, even if the dubbing process is finished. I think Alexa's debut episode was made specifically because of the 3-month gap, and the gap will remain, gradually becoming smaller each time the anime takes a break in Japan. But I don't think (nor want actually) that the English and Japanese versions will premiere extremely close to each other. I also believe that while mutual agreements exist, it's a decision from Cartoon Network the way the episodes are aired, so TPCi would have to adapt to their standards.
    It doesn't matter if you aren't going to reach the goal, as long as you're still happy doing the trajectory.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Will TCPi make any efforts to do something about the 3 month dubbing gap (in the

To be honest, we might have been more likely to if 4Kids still had the show - they skipped the last arcs of both Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's just so that they could launch the next series in time with the TCG products. You do raise a very good point that the Alexa episode will be debuting on XY's release day in North America if the 3-month time difference is kept.

However, I don't think it's realistic at all for the anime to be released near simultaneously (aired in Japan on the Thursday, aired in America on the Saturday). There are far too many variables with dubbing animation, such as auditioning for voice roles, recording, editing, sending out to broadcasters. Yes, we know TPCi dub episodes before they have aired in Japan (Skyla appearing in a dub opening theme a week before her debut for example), but we have yet to be shown that the time they are given is.
    @Gabo 2oo; also touched on a good point - do TV Tokyo have first broadcast rights? And if so, is the current three month gap merely just because of dubbing time, or is there another reason?

The very most I can see happening is like other times when the time gap between game releases and the anime is different - a special showing of the first episode or two, then a note that the series will begin syndication at a later date.

Well by "at the same time", I'm talking 1-2 weeks rather than on the same day. Seems odd that anyone would have a problem with it since it seems to have pretty smoothly gone from a year gap to 3 months.

The reason the anime is currently at 3 months is because that was the release gap for Black 2 and White 2 and there was no reason to close it further (because they'd have to air more doubles and dub it faster for no reason). I don't think there's any rule saying it has to be exactly 3 months, even if there's an anti-simultaneous rule out there.

Alexa does seem a bit too conveniently placed to be ignored. Maybe it really is the plan. Seems odd for a promotional anime to come out so long after the thing its promoting though. I know in the 4kids days it was like that, but we've had 2 full gens of them doing it perfectly now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    Well by "at the same time", I'm talking 1-2 weeks rather than on the same day. Seems odd that anyone would have a problem with it since it seems to have pretty smoothly gone from a year gap to 3 months.

The reason the anime is currently at 3 months is because that was the release gap for Black 2 and White 2 and there was no reason to close it further (because they'd have to air more doubles and dub it faster for no reason). I don't think there's any rule saying it has to be exactly 3 months, even if there's an anti-simultaneous rule out there.

Alexa does seem a bit too conveniently placed to be ignored. Maybe it really is the plan. Seems odd for a promotional anime to come out so long after the thing its promoting though. I know in the 4kids days it was like that, but we've had 2 full gens of them doing it perfectly now.
    Actually, the time difference between the episodes has always fluctuated. During Black/White's airing alone, it has ranged from 97 days to 142 days between Japanese and American airing. During Diamond and Pearl, sometimes the difference was as little as 114 days, but then as high as 245 days. AG had a similar long range of time differences (sometimes ranging from 170s days to 415!). The time gap has certainly decreased, but a new game launch is not the reason for it.

Also, TPCi has never cared about the sequence of the anime and game releases in anywhere outside America. So I don't see why it's a big deal anyway.

Blog Entries
    Follow Magmaster12 On Twitter
    Visit Magmaster12's Youtube Channel

I checked I think the Alexa episode is airing in US the same day as XY's release.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Actually, the time difference between the episodes has always fluctuated. During Black/White's airing alone, it has ranged from 97 days to 142 days between Japanese and American airing. During Diamond and Pearl, sometimes the difference was as little as 114 days, but then as high as 245 days. AG had a similar long range of time differences (sometimes ranging from 170s days to 415!). The time gap has certainly decreased, but a new game launch is not the reason for it.

Also, TPCi has never cared about the sequence of the anime and game releases in anywhere outside America. So I don't see why it's a big deal anyway.

In Black & White, the gap started off to match the 5-6 month difference between the game releases and barring the small break they took between season 14 and 15, it very consistently dropped until it matched the gap between Black 2 and White 2, and it's been at 93 days every day this year. TPCi are quite clearly aiming to at match up with the game releases regardless of breaks and other fluctuations after that.

Edit: I just remembered they moved around the DP Pokémon Ranger specials so that those would match up with the release dates too.

So we know for definite that TPCi care about airing the anime in time with the games on Cartoon Network US, and we also know that they're capable of reducing the gap by a very significant amount to get there.

The only question that remains is do they have the power to make the gap minuscule.
    Last edited by SlimeStack; 30th June 2013 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

In Black & White, the gap started off to match the 5-6 month difference between the game releases and barring the small break they took between season 14 and 15, it very consistently dropped until it matched the gap between Black 2 and White 2, and it's been at 93 days every day this year. TPCi are quite clearly aiming to at match up with the game releases regardless of breaks and other fluctuations after that.
    There is no evidence to support what you're suggesting though. If you look at the list of episodes, you'll see that the time difference has always fluctuated. The same difference in time that was there when B2W2 came out (128 days) has been a constant since around mid-DP, when the time difference between Diamond and Peal game's Japanese and American release was 8 months. The time has always fluctuated though. In BW alone, we've seen episodes having an air date difference of anywhere from 97 days to 149.

So no, they're not "quite clearly aiming" to match up the anime airing with the game releases. Especially when you use Black 2/White 2 as an example, when Best Wishes Season 2 started in America last June, when the games were released in March. If they really wanted to match up a mid-generation game launch with episodes relating to it, they easily could by shuffling around the other of some fillers, but they haven't, outside of the Ranger special you mentioned.

The Ranger episodes in DP was a 1-hour long special produced specifically to promote the games and was aired as such in Japan. Also, TPCi have been known to air the first 2-3 episodes of a new series around the times the game launches, then for full syndication to begin months down the line (it's happened with both AG, DP, as well as BW in the UK). Moving a couple of episodes up.

We could very easily have the airing of the first XY episode as a special event, then a syndication a few months later. As has happened with AG and DP. However, the timing of the Alexa episode does seem like it might have been planned for that to act as it instead.
    Last edited by Joshawott; 30th June 2013 at 07:27 PM.

heres the thing. i did some adding and if we continue airing episodes break less the the week of the release we ill get the beyheem episode

now

clair

joy/jenny

homecoming

team rocket and emolga

these are the plot points that we know or at least sure of. clair and homecoming pretty much a guarantee. the othere too have a chance at being just there.
    correct me if im wrong

now heres what i can see happening

so there is a 1 week gap between bw133 and 134 then there is a two week gap between 135 and (im assuming the noivern ep) is 136 that leaves 4 possible episodes which the could possibly air an episode every other week and that could work about perfectly. and if it was to play out this way and the where no breaks in the dub then it would air december 7th

There is no evidence to support what you're suggesting though. If you look at the list of episodes, you'll see that the time difference has always fluctuated. The same difference in time that was there when B2W2 came out (128 days) has been a constant since around mid-DP, when the time difference between Diamond and Peal game's Japanese and American release was 8 months. The time has always fluctuated though. In BW alone, we've seen episodes having an air date difference of anywhere from 97 days to 149.

So no, they're not "quite clearly aiming" to match up the anime airing with the game releases. Especially when you use Black 2/White 2 as an example, when Best Wishes Season 2 started in America last June, when the games were released in March. If they really wanted to match up a mid-generation game launch with episodes relating to it, they easily could by shuffling around the other of some fillers, but they haven't, outside of the Ranger special you mentioned.

The Ranger episodes in DP was a 1-hour long special produced specifically to promote the games and was aired as such in Japan. Also, TPCi have been known to air the first 2-3 episodes of a new series around the times the game launches, then for full syndication to begin months down the line (it's happened with both AG, DP, as well as BW in the UK). Moving a couple of episodes up.

We could very easily have the airing of the first XY episode as a special event, then a syndication a few months later. As has happened with AG and DP. However, the timing of the Alexa episode does seem like it might have been planned for that to act as it instead.

DP anime: June, 2007 / DP games: April 22, 2007
    DP Pokémon Ranger specials 1: November 1 and 8, 2008 *was moved from its JP position for the game release / PR:Shadows of Almia: November 10, 2010
    DP Pokémon Ranger special 2: October 16, 2010 *was also moved from its JP position / PR:Guardian Signs: October 4, 2010
    DP Lyra arc: February 6, 2010 / HGSS games: March 14, 2010
    BW anime: February 12, 2011 / BW games: March 6, 2011
    Roxie battle: October 13, 2012 / B2W2 games: October 7, 2012

That's 5 episodes/specials that are designed to promote the release of a new game, and they're all either very close or before the release. TPCi rearranged the episode order for two of them, and directly reduced the gap for another one. You'd be a fool to think TPCi aren't concerned with promotional timing in the US. It's important to note that TPCi had to deal with the end of 4kid's AG, which delayed DP and they've fixed the timing since then and even then they cared enough to give us the preview.
    They're capable of closing the gap and they care enough to do so - the question really is do they really want to do that or not, since we're very close to the end of BW and there are BW episodes that promote XY.
    Last edited by SlimeStack; 30th June 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnpoke View Post
    heres the thing. i did some adding and if we continue airing episodes break less the the week of the release we ill get the beyheem episode

now

clair

joy/jenny

homecoming

team rocket and emolga

these are the plot points that we know or at least sure of. clair and homecoming pretty much a guarantee. the othere too have a chance at being just there.
    correct me if im wrong

now heres what i can see happening

so there is a 1 week gap between bw133 and 134 then there is a two week gap between 135 and (im assuming the noivern ep) is 136 that leaves 4 possible episodes which the could possibly air an episode every other week and that could work about perfectly. and if it was to play out this way and the where no breaks in the dub then it would air december 7th
    Actually, if the time difference keeps at the 97 day scale the anime is currently on, then the Noivern episode episode will air in the US a week before the release of XY. There will still be roughly another 12 episodes between then and the XY anime. Which would mean that the proper syndication of the XY anime would most likely begin in January 2014.

DP anime: April 20, 2007 (official start, not preview) / DP games: April 22, 2007
    DP Pokémon Ranger specials 1: November 1 and 8, 2008 *was moved from its JP position for the game release / PR:Shadows of Almia: November 10, 2010
    DP Pokémon Ranger special 2: October 16, 2010 *was also moved from its JP position / PR:Guardian Signs: October 4, 2010
    DP Lyra arc: February 6, 2010 / HGSS games: March 14, 2010
    BW anime: February 12, 2011 / BW games: March 6, 2011
    Roxie battle: October 13, 2012 / B2W2 games: October 7, 2012

That's 6 episodes/specials that are designed to promote the release of a new game, and they're all either very close or before the release. TPCi rearranged the episode order for two of them, and directly reduced the gap for another one. You'd be a fool to think TPCi aren't concerned with promotional timing in the US.

They're capable of closing the gap and they care enough to do so - the question really is do they really want to do that or not, since we're very close to the end of BW and there are BW episodes that promote XY.
    DP's official start was in June, following a 3-episode preview in April. If you notice though, the ones that were the closest to the game launches were mid-generation, as opposed to the start of a new one. So, the more likely outcome is that the anime team in Japan have much more control over the timing of the mid-generation launch promotion episodes than they do with the new generation launches.

I'm not saying TPCi don't care about promotional timing - which is why they have had special showings of new series', then had the full syndication occur months later. You'd be a fool to believe that TPCi can just click their fingers and say "Yup, we're having a simultaneous anime release too, because reasons". We might get an episode or two as a special event thing, but nothing more.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

To be honest, we might have been more likely to if 4Kids still had the show - they skipped the last arcs of both Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's just so that they could launch the next series in time with the TCG products. You do raise a very good point that the Alexa episode will be debuting on XY's release day in North America if the 3-month time difference is kept.
    From what I understand, there were other factors with those dubs being incomplete. There wasn't enough manpower for them to finish GX and work on 5D's at the same time. The 5D's dubs had really poor ratings and 4Kids were going through bankruptcy during its run. The legal issues they were facing probably didn't help either. The TCG products were definitely a factor, but there were other problems. I don't know if they would have skipped any Pokemon episodes, especially when 4Kids probably would have been in better financial shape if they still had the license.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott
    However, I don't think it's realistic at all for the anime to be released near simultaneously (aired in Japan on the Thursday, aired in America on the Saturday). There are far too many variables with dubbing animation, such as auditioning for voice roles, recording, editing, sending out to broadcasters. Yes, we know TPCi dub episodes before they have aired in Japan (Skyla appearing in a dub opening theme a week before her debut for example), but we have yet to be shown that the time they are given is.
    I completely agree. It would be a lot more difficult to provide a near simultaneously dub of a series like that. There are just too many factors that make the idea of shortening the gap much further unrealistic. I really don't see them putting the time, money and energy into doing something like this, especially when it would be a rushed job. A three month gap isn't too bad at all and Alexa appearing seems planned out so that other countries can still have some XY promotion in the last stretch of BW, along with foreshadowing Ash traveling to the Kalos region. I could see them airing the first couple of XY episodes as a special a bit after X/Y are released and then officially premiere the series at a later date, but I think that's the best we can expect at this point.
    Joshawott likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I don't know if the three-month gap could be reduced.

Let's say an episode just aired in Japan. And to get it aired in the dub...

1. Seeing if the episode itself has any controversies. While it may be fine in Japan, there could be some elements that are not favorable in the corresponding dubbing country. Deciding whether said episode should be banned is also an issue.

2. Translating. But I doubt this would actually take a long time if they know what they're doing.

3. Auditioning for voice actors. They just don't roll a die to choose voice actors. Depending on how many new characters appear in the episode, auditioning could take a long time, or short time. If they're lazy, I guess they'd just recycle anyone who's nearby.

4. Editing and recoloring. Paint edits, and changing an object into something else (Onigiri transformation). Those just don't happen within a day or two.

So it's pretty natural that it would take a long time to get an episode imported. Whether it is TCPi or not, it's always going to take a few months.

The only way to air simultaneously is to sub them, not dub them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Kyriaki View Post
    The only way to air simultaneously is to sub them, not dub them.
    And as much as I would love TPCi and Crunchyroll to team up to simulcast Pokémon, I highly doubt that will happen too. Mainly because then, they would be completely missing the show's target audience and there are too many differences between the dub and Japanese versions, such as names and even the BGM.

DP's official start was in June, following a 3-episode preview in April. If you notice though, the ones that were the closest to the game launches were mid-generation, as opposed to the start of a new one. So, the more likely outcome is that the anime team in Japan have much more control over the timing of the mid-generation launch promotion episodes than they do with the new generation launches.

I'm not saying TPCi don't care about promotional timing - which is why they have had special showings of new series', then had the full syndication occur months later. You'd be a fool to believe that TPCi can just click their fingers and say "Yup, we're having a simultaneous anime release too, because reasons". We might get an episode or two as a special event thing, but nothing more.
    I posted it before I had finished using my brain, I know DP started in June really lol. See the edit! I'm trying to keep up with your edits too lol.

I don't see how you think TPCi can't just click their fingers though. They managed to get their act together to get Black and White out on time, and while you're right in that it was mid-generation, they had no issues reducing the gap to the smallest it's ever been for B2W2, there were no issues with rushing or workload from what we can tell. They barely even have a gap to close now if they did want to do it. TPCi seem to have tons of control over the show, they took a show that was lagging behind and then managed to have everything running smoothly by the time BW launched and it's been running consistently alongside the franchise ever since.

So really, TPCi isn't the problem here at all. The only limitations are what's stopping TPCi, whether it's TV Tokyo, Cartoon Network, any other parties or the law/rights.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast