Will Ash still be the main character in Generation VI? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Will Ash still be the main character in Generation VI?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Will Ash still be the main character in Generation VI?

I hope he's also the only main character in Gen 6. I'm sure they can make it work with only Ash, or they can just have Dawn loan her Piplup to Ash, that would solve the issue of boredom real quick.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    While the kids themselves might not care much about Ash, he's still be around for this long and is used for marketing the anime. Just because they may not be aware of Ash's history doesn't mean that he's less iconic or that they can't keep using him for marketing purposes. If they truly wanted to change Ash because of wanting to make a different character or because they figured that kids might not care about him, they would have done it a long time ago.
    Just because they didn't do something they could have done a long time ago, doesn't mean they can't do it this time.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I hope he's also the only main character in Gen 6. I'm sure they can make it work with only Ash, or they can just have Dawn loan her Piplup to Ash, that would solve the issue of boredom real quick.
    Ash traveling alone would get boring pretty quickly, especially when he'd have to bounce off of characters of the week instead of his traveling companions. I think it could work for more than an episode or two, but not much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Just because they didn't do something they could have done a long time ago, doesn't mean they can't do it this time.
    I still don't know why they would want to change the main character after over fifteen years of having Ash. Simply going on the hopes that he'll be even more popular, which is a risky move, isn't much of a reason. I can't think of another show that had the same main character for that long, brought in a new one and still remained successful. If they really were interested in doing this, they would have done it ages ago. I don't think that this is going to be any different than when people asked if Ash was still going to be the main character for AG and for DP. Ash is going to remain the main character for this and any future series.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I just don't see what reason they have to take a gamble like that. Have the ratings and merchandise sales plummeted so bad the show is danger of being canceled? No? Then why change the status quo?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Yeah, I just don't see what reason they have to take a gamble like that. Have the ratings and merchandise sales plummeted so bad the show is danger of being canceled? No? Then why change the status quo?
    It could bring the opposite effect. It's possible they could bring in a new character that would make more sales and bring up the ratings - making everyone excited and eager to see what the new character would do every episode.

Why is everyone so sure that removing Ash would result only in negative ways? If so, then they should've used Ash for the B2W2 promo. But they didn't - and it went wonderfully.

Moe
    Blog Entries

To me at least, the B2W2 promo wasn't interesting because of Nate - it was because the battling looked far more intensive and the way the Pokemon were animated; plus N/Plasma finally appearing in animated form.

Indeed most of the dialogue in the promo was terrible.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    If the writers were scared to change status quo, we'd still be sitting through the original trio every generation.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    If the writers were scared to change status quo, we'd still be sitting through the original trio every generation.
    And yet it took them two tries and four generations to get rid of Brock.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    And yet it took them two tries and four generations to get rid of Brock.
    It's obvious why Brock stayed for AG though. Not to mention since Max had no pokemon they probably didn't want only two main characters with pokemon that saga.

As we continually state, why he stayed for DP is anyone's guess.

It could bring the opposite effect. It's possible they could bring in a new character that would make more sales and bring up the ratings - making everyone excited and eager to see what the new character would do every episode.

Why is everyone so sure that removing Ash would result only in negative ways? If so, then they should've used Ash for the B2W2 promo. But they didn't - and it went wonderfully.
    That's still just a possibility and not a guarantee. There's no reason to take that risk when the merchandise sales are doing fine and the ratings for the series are generally okay, so doing something like this just comes off as really unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Using Ash for the B2/W2 promo trailer wouldn't have made any sense given how it was mean to showcase some events from the games in order to get more people excited for the games. Ash isn't in the games, so that wouldn't make sense. Plus, I didn't really get excited for the trailer because Nate was there instead of Ash. I was more excited for seeing Team Plasma animated and solid animation during the battles. They use Ash to promote the games in the series, but with the trailer based more on the games than the anime, it wouldn't have worked. Nate didn't really stand out compared to everything else about the trailer.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post

That's still just a possibility and not a guarantee. There's no reason to take that risk when the merchandise sales are doing fine and the ratings for the series are generally okay, so doing something like this just comes off as really unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Using Ash for the B2/W2 promo trailer wouldn't have made any sense given how it was mean to showcase some events from the games in order to get more people excited for the games. Ash isn't in the games, so that wouldn't make sense. Plus, I didn't really get excited for the trailer because Nate was there instead of Ash. I was more excited for seeing Team Plasma animated and solid animation during the battles. They use Ash to promote the games in the series, but with the trailer based more on the games than the anime, it wouldn't have worked. Nate didn't really stand out compared to everything else about the trailer.
    Likewise, there's no guarantee that the sales WILL drop horribly if Ash isn't in the show. It all depends on how they are crafty enough to lure in people to love the show - Ash himself doesn't make up the anime, but his whole story of being Pokemon Master, his friendship with pokemons, and interactions with his partners and CoTDs. It doesn't have to be Ash who can do that.

The anime is part of what promotes the games. Ash was originally supposed to be based on the PC of Red and Green. The anime and game go hand-in-hand. One cannot exist without the other. Those people who watch only the anime are also potential consumers of the future games - the kids who watch pokemon could be fans of the games much later on as well. The BW2 promo animation did not have Ash, but the hype for it had been intense because of non-Ash issues - the battle effects, the characters, the background design, the ability to depict the story to appeal, etc... Even though it was for only 5 minutes, many people thought it was brilliant. In other words, they can make an anime that can appeal to people without Ash just fine.

And I repeat: Just because they didn't replace Ash before, doesn't mean they can't. This is just merely a guess, a speculation, and a hopeful opinion. Ash could be the main boy in the Gen 6 anime anyways. But still... even there's a 0.00000000000000001% possibility of him getting replaced, it's still a chance.

and really, if I wasn't here being one of the few people who thinks Ash should get off the show, this thread would've been pretty dry with no debates since everyone wants Ash to stay XDD

Blog Entries

Look at how much whining there is from Misty fans now. Then multiply it by 100 and you get what would happen if Ash left.
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

Likewise, there's no guarantee that the sales WILL drop horribly if Ash isn't in the show. It all depends on how they are crafty enough to lure in people to love the show - Ash himself doesn't make up the anime, but his whole story of being Pokemon Master, his friendship with pokemons, and interactions with his partners and CoTDs. It doesn't have to be Ash who can do that.
    I didn't say that they would drop horribly, but I just don't see why they would want to take that risk when there's no financial motivation for them to do so. There's no guarantee that people would respond that well to a new main character or that it would drastically change sales and ratings. Ash's story is what the anime revolves around and while that's true that it doesn't have to be Ash to do all of that, I don't think that they could make another main character to do all of that who would be drastically different from Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry
    The anime is part of what promotes the games. Ash was originally supposed to be based on the PC of Red and Green. The anime and game go hand-in-hand. One cannot exist without the other. Those people who watch only the anime are also potential consumers of the future games - the kids who watch pokemon could be fans of the games much later on as well. The BW2 promo animation did not have Ash, but the hype for it had been intense because of non-Ash issues - the battle effects, the characters, the background design, the ability to depict the story to appeal, etc... Even though it was for only 5 minutes, many people thought it was brilliant. In other words, they can make an anime that can appeal to people without Ash just fine.
    While Ash not being in the trailer was one of the aspects that people liked about it, I thought that seeing Team Plasma animated for the first time and the awesome animation for the battles was a much bigger deal than simply not involving Ash. They probably already prove that they could make an anime to appeal to people without Ash with the Chronicles specials, but just because they technically can doesn't really mean that there is any chance of that happening, especially when they would need more financial motivation to do something like than simply older fans wanting to see someone different as the main lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry
    And I repeat: Just because they didn't replace Ash before, doesn't mean they can't. This is just merely a guess, a speculation, and a hopeful opinion. Ash could be the main boy in the Gen 6 anime anyways. But still... even there's a 0.00000000000000001% possibility of him getting replaced, it's still a chance.

and really, if I wasn't here being one of the few people who thinks Ash should get off the show, this thread would've been pretty dry with no debates since everyone wants Ash to stay XDD
    Ash has been in the anime for fifteen years and the storyline revolves around his journey. While the writers technically could replace him, I don't think that they can, or at the very least they won't since it is far too late to change him. There's really no chance of this happening in the next series or any future generations. I honestly do understand why people want Ash to be replaced. I personally wouldn't be crushed if he was replaced and I'd still watch the anime, but I'm not really in favor of that happening either. I just think that there is no chance of it happening, even though this discussion will keep happening with each new series, even when Ash has been around for twenty years.
    Satoshi_Pikachu and HumanDawn like this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

It's obvious why Brock stayed for AG though. Not to mention since Max had no pokemon they probably didn't want only two main characters with pokemon that saga.
    Obvious?

As we continually state, why he stayed for DP is anyone's guess.
    Because he allowed the writers to focus on Ash and Dawn, without trying to introduce another new character and develop their team.

Brock's minimal goal of learning more about Pokemon breeding was great as a background, it didn't require active attention like a goal to be a master of a particular type does - staying with Ash isn't a ceiling to bump up against for someone like that. Same goes for Cilan, his goal is limited enough (by design) that it can go to the background to give focus to Ash and a new female character.

But it's far easier with him. Ash is a constant around which you can introduce a lot of new things while keeping some familiarity - it also means that both the anime and games can be more flexible on storylines than if the Male PC was the main character.

Imagine if B2W2 came out and the anime had used Hilbert as the main character for the BW anime - they couldn't just swap him out for Nate midway though - they'd be left with an irrelevant character.

Ash on the other hand isn't tied to one region or game - so he can be the face of a new game with a change of clothes or a new Pokemon; meanwhile the female PC based characters last one season.

On the other hand if replacing Ash then turned into a cycle of the main character being replaced every region, they'd all inevitably win the league and it would be just as boring and predictable as Ash's losses are.

The BW2 promo animation did not have Ash, but the hype for it had been intense because of non-Ash issues - the battle effects, the characters, the background design, the ability to depict the story to appeal, etc... Even though it was for only 5 minutes, many people thought it was brilliant.

In other words, they can make an anime that can appeal to people without Ash just fine.
    Provided it's a five minute promo with a good budget. The problem is that in general the games don't provide anywhere near enough content for a game driven plot to work in the anime - not to mention how boring it would be if all the exact same events in the games took place.

We have a bunch of terrible Chronicles episodes that prove the Anime often doesn't work without Ash - the ones that did showed that Misty can carry an episode by herself.

All of the things that made the B2W2 promo good could be implemented in the anime with Ash there - they are stylistic choices that are broadly unlikely because of the cost of the better standard of animation and the timeslot/younger target audience.

If there was seriously ~30 episodes left of Ash on the show, he'd be on a planeboat back to Kanto right now for a final league challenge. As badly written as Ash has been at times, if his departure was planned, it would get a decent final arc.

The huge fresh break that Unova represented, combined with the peak that Ash got in Sinnoh was the opportunity to write him out. Not taking that, but doing the changes they made in BW showed that they weren't willing to take the final step of removing him; and I can't see after how BW turned out that there's an appetite to try something drastic again.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Ash was already replaced when BW started. D: The calculative and strategic Ash from DP was replaced with a dummy.
    Yato, El_, martianmister and 2 others like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast