Why the Safari Zone Dratini episode was banned in the US? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why the Safari Zone Dratini episode was banned in the US?

Default Re: Why the Safari Zone Dratini episode was banned in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    There was some sexual stuff in the Jessie Warden conversation.
    Not really.
    And even if you were to count what she says as "sexual", there's been far worse dialogue in earlier episodes (like Takeshi drooling over 10-year-old girls and essentially saying "I can't wait until you're legal") that 4Kids just replaced with "milder" dialogue and called it a day.
    martianmister likes this.
    So.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    I think he meant suggestive stuff not swears. And it isn't nice to call someone's work crap just because they change a vulgarity level on an expletive to make their target audience feel more comfortable. Just because they did that doesn't mean they think cursing is mature.

There was some sexual stuff in the Jessie Warden conversation.
    If it's not an accurate portrayal of the show, I'd say it's crap. It certainly isn't doing its job... the whole point is so that non-Japanese speakers can understand what is being said. A viewer should not watch the episode and think that the characters are saying something completely different than they are actually saying, or think that they are cursing when they aren't (which may not seem important, but it does change the mood). Then again, it is a "fan-sub" so the people translating it don't have to stick to the script, but it's still misleading and I don't like it.

As for the Jessie and the Warden thing... never saw it so I have no idea what was said. But in general, I haven't noticed any sexual references at all (although I've only seen the dub, so that's why). I have heard that in the Japanese Beauty and the Beach then the old man offered for Misty to have sex with him as payment for her debt (unless that was some fan-made crap and not at all what he really said). Other than that, the only thing I can think of is in the opening, Pikchu jumps up through the Lass's skirt (and in the Japanese song, the lyrics even say something about "up the girl's skirt" or something). Looking up a girl's skirt seems perverted in America, but apparently in Japan it's a common joke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    I have heard that in the Japanese Beauty and the Beach then the old man offered for Misty to have sex with him as payment for her debt (unless that was some fan-made crap and not at all what he really said).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    The creepiness of an old man befriending a bunch of preteens is present in both versions, but this line, uttered by Moe, is considerably watered down. This happens right as Moe meets Misty for the first time:

Moe: "You remind me of my granddaughter."
    Misty: "We don't have any money, but we'd be happy to work to pay for any damages."

Originally, Ryuu tells Kasumi that things would be more fun if she was eight years older.
    So, not exactly sex. More like sex if she was an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    If it's not an accurate portrayal of the show, I'd say it's crap. It certainly isn't doing its job... the whole point is so that non-Japanese speakers can understand what is being said. A viewer should not watch the episode and think that the characters are saying something completely different than they are actually saying, or think that they are cursing when they aren't (which may not seem important, but it does change the mood). Then again, it is a "fan-sub" so the people translating it don't have to stick to the script, but it's still misleading and I don't like it.
    The most recent fansub of this episode is accurately translated (and no, it doesn't have any cursing or sexual talk in it). I'm not sure which release Musashi is talking about, but her statement is too generalized and doesn't apply to all of them.
    So.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    The most recent fansub of this episode is accurately translated (and no, it doesn't have any cursing or sexual talk in it). I'm not sure which release Musashi is talking about, but her statement is too generalized and doesn't apply to all of them.
    Pokemon subs with swears in them are few and far between. That's hardly generalized. Nor did I ever imply all of them were crap.

I wasn't specifically referring to whatever Musashi was referring to... I was speaking about fan-subs in general. Fan-subs aren't official and even ignoring the cursing, many of them take far too many liberties while translating them (that, and many might have accurate content but still be horrible, grammar-wise). If it's well-done (which I'm sure a lot are), then fine, it's not crap... but there are far too many bad ones which is one of the main reasons that I don't even watch them (well, the other reason I don't watch them is because they're piracy which I don't condone so I probably wouldn't watch them anyway, but that's beside the point).

And I suppose you could say that the dub is even more crappy since it's not all that accurate either, but either way, the dub is official and everything said in it is canon to the dub.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA, where carrying guns openly is legal in Nevada and it's one of the easiest first world countries to own a gun.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA, where carrying guns openly is legal in Nevada and it's one of the easiest first world countries to own a gun.
    But guns are never legally sold to kids and this is a kids show, so that's kind of irrelevent. And it isn't exactly ironic either... more guns means more chance of a gun-related accident, so the US wanting to not show it on a kid's show is completely reasonable (a country without guns doesn't face that possibility, so showing guns would not be a problem)

Blog Entries

It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA,
    It's not an excuse, it's what the law for kids show is here.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    It's kinda ironic that everyone uses the guns excuse for the USA,
    It's not an excuse, it's what the law for kids show is here.
    Wow, that's harsh.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Blog Entries

Honest answer: the guns 4kids couldn't edit to weird hammer-things or make invisible (They can't openly state normal people like the Warden can shoot lasers from their fingers, 'cause he does open fire on TR)
    Also, Meowth's moustache in that interrogation scene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    Also, Meowth's moustache in that interrogation scene.
    That was a parody of detective shows. It had nothing to do with Hitler, nor would it have anything to do with why the episode was skipped.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123