Why was Pikachu chosen as the anime protagonist? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why was Pikachu chosen as the anime protagonist?

Default Re: Why was Pikachu chosen as the anime protagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I'd like an actual source on that Clefairy rumour. The fact that the Pocket Monsters manga used it isn't relevant, the various manga are separate from the anime.
    According to Bulbapedia, it's mentioned in the book Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon and in Becket's Ultimate Guide to Pikachu, just check the Notes and References for Clefairy.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I'd like an actual source on that Clefairy rumour. The fact that the Pocket Monsters manga used it isn't relevant, the various manga are separate from the anime.
    According to Bulbapedia, it's mentioned in the book Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon and in Becket's Ultimate Guide to Pikachu, just check the Notes and References for Clefairy.
    I'm still skeptical... neither one of those books are official sources (as far as I know). Unless those books themselves cite the source as something official (such as an interview with the makers of the show or someone who has actually seen the unreleased pilot) then that still doesn't really prove anything.

As for the original question... I'm thinking it wasn't one of the 3 starters because they didn't want to make either of the 3 seem more important than the other 2 by comparison. Why was it Pikachu though? I don't know... perhaps they wanted an Electric-type since the main elements (as in, the 4 main stones) were Grass, Water, Fire, and Electric.
    And I can take a few good guesses why Mew was not chosen:
    - Mew was not even obtainable in-game, so emphasizing him would be a bad idea
    - Mew's popularity comes from his exclusiveness and mysteriousness. If you see him in every episode, you'd kind of get tired of him
    - Mew's too powerful and his moveset is very limited (unless TMs were available in the anime as well). Also, Transform would be weird for a beginner to use (since it requires knowledge of all the attacks)

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Also, Pikachu's based on an actual animal, whereas some of the other mascot candidates aren't. There's something about cute, cuddly animals that have a better appeal than nondescript pixies or sentient objects.
    Midnight Blue likes this.

追放されたバカ

I always assumed they chose Pikachu because of Pokemon Yellow, where you automatically get Pikachu as your starter Pokemon.

But it could be that they chose Pikachu because it can appeal to both guys and girls - its small and cute, but its not too feminine looking either. Unlike Clefairy.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lyu1112 View Post
    I always assumed they chose Pikachu because of Pokemon Yellow, where you automatically get Pikachu as your starter Pokemon.
    It's other way around. Pokemon Yellow is based on anime.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lyu1112 View Post
    It's other way around. Pokemon Yellow is based on anime.
    Oh lord. This is kind of embarrassing, but I had a feeling it came after the anime. Thanks for telling me.

Blog Entries

Pikachu was the one most likely to be universally well-received, so I guess that's why they went with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    This is just one of my little theories. Maybe GameFreak or Nintendo wanted Pikachu to be the Japanese Mickey Mouse?
    He pretty much already is.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12