Why was Ho-oh in Episode 1?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was Ho-oh in Episode 1?

Default Why was Ho-oh in Episode 1?

I understand that Ho-oh was created during Gen 1 and shelved but why put it in Episode 1 when Pokemon was just taking off and the Anime was planned for a year and a half run? It might not've been used for Gen 2 (assuming Gen 2 was considered at all) and that would've been a really random loose end writing wise.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Why was Ho-oh in Episode 1?

I'd imagine that if the anime didn't stretch out to Gen II (either the continuing adventures of Satoshi or a sequel), Houou still would have served the purpose of showing how vast and mysterious the Pokemon world is (in the anime). I wouldn't call it a loose end in writing, in that regard, since they didn't really play it up as something that would ever get solved.

....besides, it's not like they used Houou much in Gen II either, besides alluding to its legend and connection to Satoshi, both of which are hardly touched upon ever again, especially now that we're in Gen VI and the anime writers insist that everything before a certain point doesn't matter anymore. Ugh. Now it's a loose end in writing. Even worse than the GS Ball.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Blog Entries

I think when they originally put it in they may have been planning to reuse it at the end of the series.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

"Pocket Monsters 2" had already gotten a lot of coverage in CoroCoro Comics by the time the first episode aired and several of the new pokemon had already been revealed. Hou'ou's appearance in that episode would have hyped up the new games regardless of whether or not the TV series was popular enough to continue.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on December 18th, 2014

Blog Entries
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

I would assume it was to show that there was more after gen 1?

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

So does it seems Ho-oh was to hype the Gen2 games when Episode one aired? Because if you put it that way, I think it makes sense

and Ash had to go and assume it was Articuno in episode 2

Me, I always thought it was one of many set-ups for an event that was abandoned for whatever reason.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Wii U: Available Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by SammyW27 View Post
    Me, I always thought it was one of many set-ups for an event that was abandoned for whatever reason.
    I've always figured that Ho-oh's appearances are to show that Ash is "the legendary hero" rather than to lead to a subplot - same with Ash having Aura. I would like for it to show up again, it's been too long.

Blog Entries

Apparently they don't want to revisit old plots though because "it will confuse the new viewers"
    Thats why the first Mewtwo wasn't mentioned at all in the 16th movie. Unfortunately they're just letting down the old viewers by dropping major things like Mewtwo #1 and Ho-oh; I was disappointed with the 16th movie because with all that carry on about finding a place to belong I was waiting the whole movie for Ash to tell Mewtwo there is another Mewtwo. (I guess he forgot just like he forgot he turned 10 years ago).

someone in the dark garrison-san's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglefox View Post
    Apparently they don't want to revisit old plots though because "it will confuse the new viewers"
    Thats why the first Mewtwo wasn't mentioned at all in the 16th movie. Unfortunately they're just letting down the old viewers by dropping major things like Mewtwo #1 and Ho-oh; I was disappointed with the 16th movie because with all that carry on about finding a place to belong I was waiting the whole movie for Ash to tell Mewtwo there is another Mewtwo. (I guess he forgot just like he forgot he turned 10 years ago).
    We're definitely not turning this into another Mewtwo 2 discussion, so please drop it right now.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 26th November 2013 at 06:43 AM.

But... Charizard returned in Episode N (note: I'm not trying to talk about Mewtwo 2 but about the claim above itself).

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

Blog Entries

I guess they decided Charizard has returned so many times it viewers would just go; "Hey it's that Charizard that keeps showing up!". Also, Charizard had about as much impact on the show as Pikachu.
    While on the other hand Ho-oh and He who shall not be named, haven't made many appearances and stopped appearing altogether at the end of Gen 2 if I recall. By the time Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out, anyone who wasn't a hardcore fan was like "Ho-oh who?"

I guess they decided Charizard has returned so many times it viewers would just go; "Hey it's that Charizard that keeps showing up!". Also, Charizard had about as much impact on the show as Pikachu.
    While on the other hand Ho-oh and He who shall not be named, haven't made many appearances and stopped appearing altogether at the end of Gen 2 if I recall. By the time Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out, anyone who wasn't a hardcore fan was like "Ho-oh who?"
    Charizard got flashback scenes for his return, they could do the same for Ho-oh. Just have Ash mention that he's seen it before and show some brief scenes of its past appearances.

Ho-oh has appeared since Gen 2, in a Battle Frontier episode and in the last DP opening.
    Last edited by Johtohfiller; 26th November 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

I love how people constantly pull the confusion card. Hey guys, let's watch an on-going series about a kid and his very very long adventures, and not expect something that relates to any previous events happening right as we jump right into the middle of it!

Oh, so this main character knows this Lizardon and recognizes this Houou... could he have perhaps... met them before?! What a concept. I would have never guessed.

...Somehow, I don't feel that the new viewers are morons like that. If the writers seriously used that reasoning, then that would put my respect for them at an even more all-time low.

Last edited by FANG-TAN; 29th November 2013 at 05:19 AM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Blog Entries

:O I've figured it out! Ho-oh is in the GS Ball!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast