Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

  1. #1
    . Ishida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nah
    Posts
    891
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Why did they use this Kotetsu guy? They could have used Hugh, Kyouhei, or even Mei they could have debuted Samurott as it would have made more sense that way they could have given them a Riolu/Lucario too instead of giving it to this bland guy. But seriously what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    On why they didn't use Hugh. Because of the Team Plasma angle possibly that seems to play a larg part in his role in the games. On why they didn't use Kyouhei, because he looks like a pizza delivery guy gone wrong. XD

  3. #3
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Why should they? There's really nothing about those characters that would have made them especially interesting as anime rivals. In the games, they're fine, but the anime's story has never followed the game's too closely to begin with. Besides, having Ash's rivals be close in age to him works better.

    And they've never used a PC as a rival, so I don't know why you expected them to do that.

  4. #4
    . Ishida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nah
    Posts
    891
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    On why they didn't use Hugh. Because of the Team Plasma angle possibly that seems to play a larg part in his role in the games. On why they didn't use Kyouhei, because he looks like a pizza delivery guy gone wrong. XD
    Yeah you're right about Hugh I almost forgot how important Team Plasma is to his storyline in the games. And Kyouhei kind of does look like a pizza delivery guy gone wrong :p

  5. #5
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Well, they couldn't use Kyouhei because Ash is already pretty much a stand-in for the male protagonist of the game, and as for Hugh, I agree with @Hellion that Hugh cannot be used because of how Team Plasma is involved in his characters backstory, and because the Plasma Embargo is still in effect as far as we know, Hugh cannot make an appearance in the series unless the writers attempt to write around that part of his backstory (which is pretty much impossible).

    Still, why not Cheren, while Bianca has appeared various times in the anime, Cheren has had not a single mention or appearance, even in cameo form. Is Cheren's character not interesting to the writers or something, is that why they don't use him? I know he's a Gym Leader in the games now, but that still doesn't give the writers of the anime an excuse to not use him.

    So for now, we get Kotetsu, whom, in my opinion, doesn't appear that he will be an interesting character, even with a Riolu and a Samurott in his team, he doesn't appear to be all that interesting of a character, but of course, only time will tell if he will be truly significant to the series.
    Aeon likes this.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  6. #6
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Still, why not Cheren, while Bianca has appeared various times in the anime, Cheren has had not a single mention or appearance, even in cameo form. Is Cheren's character not interesting to the writers or something, is that why they don't use him? I know he's a Gym Leader in the games now, but that still doesn't give the writers of the anime an excuse to not use him.
    Cheren wasn't used because the writers wanted Ash's main rival to be closer in age to him- hence, we get Trip instead, who heavily borrows from Cheren's BW character.

  7. #7
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Still, why not Cheren, while Bianca has appeared various times in the anime, Cheren has had not a single mention or appearance, even in cameo form. Is Cheren's character not interesting to the writers or something, is that why they don't use him? I know he's a Gym Leader in the games now, but that still doesn't give the writers of the anime an excuse to not use him.
    Cheren wasn't used because the writers wanted Ash's main rival to be closer in age to him- hence, we get Trip instead, who heavily borrows from Cheren's BW character.
    ... what's the difference? We could've just got a mentally younger Cheren.

  8. #8
    Registered User Mythicalzoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    idk they somehow luv Trip

  9. #9
    Hoe- MISTY CONFIRMED 3Dchu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Posts
    121
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Hugh should be related to a Team Plasma story & Kyouhei - They don't use male protagonists in the anime as main's or rival's.

    I'm glad Mei isn't brought up here because she would pull a Moon Prism Pokémon.
    Yato likes this.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,852
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Well, they couldn't use Kyouhei because Ash is already pretty much a stand-in for the male protagonist of the game, and as for Hugh, I agree with @Hellion that Hugh cannot be used because of how Team Plasma is involved in his characters backstory, and because the Plasma Embargo is still in effect as far as we know, Hugh cannot make an appearance in the series unless the writers attempt to write around that part of his backstory (which is pretty much impossible).
    How? They just take out his backstory with Team Plasma and that's it. Nothing to it really.

  11. #11
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,395
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    How? They just take out his backstory with Team Plasma and that's it. Nothing to it really.
    Which would make him a generic rival. I'm glad they didn't do that.

  12. #12
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Well, they couldn't use Kyouhei because Ash is already pretty much a stand-in for the male protagonist of the game, and as for Hugh, I agree with @Hellion that Hugh cannot be used because of how Team Plasma is involved in his characters backstory, and because the Plasma Embargo is still in effect as far as we know, Hugh cannot make an appearance in the series unless the writers attempt to write around that part of his backstory (which is pretty much impossible).
    How? They just take out his backstory with Team Plasma and that's it. Nothing to it really.
    Which would make him a generic rival. I'm glad they didn't do that.
    You have a good point there, but at least it's better than not having Hugh appear at all, that's for sure...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  13. #13
    Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Nuvema Town, Unova
    Posts
    3,002
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    I was under the assumption that they didn't use any BW2 game characters because those characters had the animated shorts to promote the games, and because of the time difference in that BW2 takes place two years after BW. Especially with Bianca still a rival and not a lab assistant as she is in those games, it might have confused some people if they had used them as a rival, when in the games, they received their first Pokemon from her. Different verses, I know, but it's probably easier this way to keep all their canons straight or something~
    Karamazov likes this.


  14. #14
    Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    cuyahoga falls ohio
    Posts
    1,086
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    probily due to them being Promo characters and possibly movie openers such as SIlver, Brendan, lucas, ect

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Why didn't they use Hugh or Kyouhei as rivals?

    Maybe Cheren could appear in his Gym Leader role? I know Ash already has his eight badges, but that didn't stop Marlon appearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •